1057-59 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsayrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 517-6400 ext. 0
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Antoine Camin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Orsay has a secluded room for meetings & events. The room located on the second floor, can seat up to 70 guests. Designed with the same art nouveau private details as the restaurant, it is also equipped with integrated audio visual equipment for business meetings or to view that special anniversary video. Orsay also has a semi-private area on the 1st floor.
- Private Party Contact: Melanie 2125170015x
A word from Orsay
Designed by partner Jean Denoyer, Orsay strikes that difficult balance of sophisticated-chic in a warm convivial atmosphere. Dark mahogany raised paneled walls meet Art Nouveau styled arches in a deep, creamy butter color. The floor is a work of art, Italian mosaic tiles in warm tones of precious metals hand laid in a beautiful fan pattern that floats in waves across the expanse of floor. Banquettes with high wood backs topped with frosted glass panels provide privacy if wanted, and the low, soft lighting emanates from Art Nouveau period chandeliers that Denoyer had custom designed. A 20-foot long zinc-topped wood bar shipped in one piece from France, and French doors that spill onto the sidewalk terrace, completing the feeling that you are in the 9th arrondisement in Paris. This sophisticated and elegant Parisian-style brasserie marries modern French cuisine and classic brasserie fare. Orsay's award-winning wine list includes all 300 predominantly French and American varietals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Orsay reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (107)great for lunch (60)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (46)great for brunch (38)romantic (33)good for groups (27)notable wine list (20)late-night find (15)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great and friendly service, food ok.KilmarnockDined on 11/23/2014We go to this restaurant every year when we come to NYC. We love the atmosphere and service but have noticed that the quality of food has been inconsistent and boring of late. Maybe an off night? Let us hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No more sunday Roast beefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Apparently they only do their carve at the table roast beef on Wednesdays now, sundays is about a brunch menu, which was not great, I had the steak upgrade, I think if you want steak in NYC their are much better places. But the service was great and its a really nice place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Servicedb576VIPDined on 11/19/2014Every detail is attended to in the most professional manner at this restaurant. What a gem. Both for lunch and dinner at the most busy and hectic s dining room can be Oraay shines above the finest names in the city. Food is also tops!!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it...felt like we were Paris!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/17/2014We're from Chicago. We traveled to NYC with my 93-yr old mother so she could see her granddaughter. We picked Orsay for dinner one evening. I thought we'd never get my mother out of the restaurant. It brought her back to a trip to Paris she had made with my father many years ago. The food, the ambiance...everything was just terrific, and Mom's extreme pleasure made it all extra special. We will definitely be back on visits to our daughter. Probably w/o Mom, but we'll think of her when we're there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JochenDined on 11/13/2014Chose Orsay because L'Absinthe has now closed after 19 years. Food was excellent, service was prompt (maybe too prompt?), but it was very loud. We were a party of 5, Thursday night, at a round table - hard to have any kind of conversation, even with one's immediate neighbor. Would go again, maybe just with one or two others and on a different night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- french food loverluvfrenchfoodDined on 11/10/2014ambiance very nice with the tables far enough apart and the noise level comfortable so you hear one another talking. good food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:
- Steaks overcooked; Service SlowCautiousdinerDined on 11/8/2014Restaurant was crowded with a good vibe. Tables not too close. I asked for Medium Rare and my steak was Medium. My husband asked for Medium and his steak was well. The food took inordinately long, so no way we were going to send the steaks back. Our friends loved the dorade whole fish however and speculated this was the reason the food took so long.
- A consistent neighborhood gemctsteveDined on 11/5/2014Ever since Orsay opened many years ago, when I lived in the neighborhood, and now living in CT, this restaurant is one of my all time favorites. A must try for anyone, residing or not in Manhattan. The quality of the food and service are both of a very high and consistent level - never have I been disappointed with anything that I've ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Spot!Jamil07Dined on 11/1/2014Food is delicious. Atmosphere is warm and cozy. Good for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing for the costNothappyDined on 10/31/2014I had a chef salad served in a small oval bowl comprised mainly of lettuce, with an underwhelming quantity of julienned meats and cheese. It was not presented particularly aesthetically, and was worth I would say, about 1/2 of its $19 cost. My friend and I asked for a simple biscotti with our cappuccino, and were told they could not serve them individually but would bring us a "small plate" of cookies. It turned out to be an elaborate affair on a big plate with a $15 tariff connected to it. I would gladly have overpaid for one cookie, but this was really irritating. Needless to say, it was sent back. Although the maitre d and servers were professional and lovely, this restaurant is not one I will return to any time soon.
- No need to go to ParisNYCdiningDined on 10/29/2014Just book a table at at Orsay....and enjoy the fabulous room, service and food....Voila!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some changes in the past few yearsBillDined on 10/28/2014There are times when you want a draft beer and steak frites. I still come, but portion sizes and quality have changed in the past year. No salad with the plate?Special Features:
- joejoedogDined on 10/27/2014Outstanding martini, outstanding service, excellent food; one my favorites in the city ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?FredfoodVIPDined on 10/23/2014This place has lost all it's charm. No reason to go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/20/2014Always can rely on their constantly good food and great attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a disappointing mealbarbEHVIPDined on 10/17/2014Orsay is usually a very reliable place for us, but last Friday was dreadful! the service is never stellar, but it was truly awful! Nothing came together or quite as asked for. the boullabaise was fishy and not particularly fresh. It will be a while before we come again.
- CathyVIPDined on 10/17/2014Consistently great for a special lunch. Loved the lobster ravioli and Cheese soufflé with a nice bottle of Chardonnay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and dependabledga39Dined on 10/12/2014Orsay is a classic bistro with a classic bistro menu, and well done in its way. However, it's not quite fine dining, as the bill afterwards suggests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Consistently excellent with one consistent flaw that may be the death of the restaurant. The food is superb, ambience elegant, attentive and knowledgable wait staff and rudest host/hostesses(primarily the hostesses but one of the hosts is just as bad) in the world. I have dined here somewhere between 70-100 times and have just come to expect to be mistreated the second I walk in. Even when I have hosted large groups here and have made several calls to arrange the event with Orsay's gracious staff in the days preceding, all bets are off once the hostesses are involved. Their behavior is so atrocious that it is almost funny at this point.Special Features:
- SIMPLE AND GOODMikeDined on 10/10/2014Unpretentious well made food and rather good service for a reasonable price, can be recommended any time. Beware the noisy indoors dining room if you are looking for a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Thank goodness for OrsayAndieVIPDined on 10/10/2014While several neighborhood favorites have gone out of business, Orsay remains, offering good food, good service, and a touch of class.Special Features:
- A lovely eveninglocalhomebodyVIPDined on 10/6/2014I and my daughter had a lovely evening at Orsay earlier this week. The menu is not extensive but it is imaginative and the food is well prepared. I had guinea hen grown locally and organically at a farm in the Catskills; my daughter had sweetbreads and I can recommend both dishes. The cheese tray that we shared at the end of the meal was a good size for 2 people. The wine list is reasonably priced and the ambience, on this evening any way, low key and perfect for an evening of conversation. Service was attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliable as alwaysbarbEHVIPDined on 10/3/2014We are never disappointed when we eat at Orsay. And we always eat more than we had planned.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/29/2014I always know I will have a more than satisfying experience at Orsay; no problems. no surpises,constantly top quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealNoisyPearlVIPDined on 9/26/2014Gazpacho was great as was tuna tartar and apple tart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatPickVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were staying in the neighborhood and came across tho gem My wife and I started by splitting a delicious foie gras. Then Dover Sole for her and kidneys and sweet breads for me... nice to have a different dish and beautifully prepared. Will definitely try to return (we don't live in the City)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRockyDined on 9/26/2014I have eaten at Orsay many times but my luncheon on 26th was shocking from the service which was practically non existent to the food. We had to beg for water, for bread for butter. The salad was limp and tasteless and the soufflé not up to standard.Wont return in a hurry
- A sure bet.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014Consistently good-- food and service. A great go-to lunch spot for the Upper East Side.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningJoletsDined on 9/13/2014We brought some out of town guests to Orsay, and had such a lovely meal. The service was exceptional, the food was delicious, and it was the perfect environment to relax and enjoy dinner with family and friends. We will definitely be back to enjoy the outdoor seating next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little bit of Francejanieb1123VIPDined on 9/11/2014orsay is beautiful elegant and yummy. it's become a regular stop for us on NYC visits. fab steak frites and oystersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French BistroSeattledinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were at the soon to move Whitney museum and wanted lunch after . I checked my open table app to see nearby availability . We love Paris and old fashioned French food, so Orsay sounded perfect, and it was. It was a nice day, so we were offered a table outside . The service was very good and prompt. I started with the soup du jour, a creamy , lovely butternut squash soup, my husband had the Orsay salad. We split an order of the steak au poivre vert , which was perfectly prepared. No room for dessert. I highly recommend Orday to any Francophile looking to eat on the upper East side .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Neighborhood RestaurantAndieVIPDined on 9/7/2014We always feel welcome at Orsay and the tuna tartar has to be the best in NYC. Dining on the terrace is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer LunchDavidVIPDined on 9/5/2014Have a bottle of wine. Eat the specials. Come on, it's the upper east side for lunch. Show up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful cheese soufflé and lobster ravioli! We will be back for both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableAndieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Orsay is a neighborhood favorite of ours, in fact we met on a blind date there, and had our wedding lunch there. The management is welcoming and waiters congenial. Food has gone a bit downhill in the past few months. Maybe a new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French ExperienceLogisticianVIPDined on 8/22/2014At Orsay, you will be taken back to FRANCE. You will enjoy the food, wine, service, and décor what ever the time of day you arrive. Dining here is a MOST delightful experience.Special Features:
- FisheyefisheyeDined on 8/19/2014The dinner service was wonderful and the ambience is very nice. The scallop dish could be a little more generous that four scallops.Special Features:
- LovelyFoodmavenVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate outdoors and it was lovely. The seating is on the avenue so it is fairly quiet a raised above the level of the side walk. The food is always good but they have raised their prices quite a bit... Very high for brasserie food!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Had a lovely time for a birthday dinner. French classics were deliciousSpecial Features:
- Delightful French BistroZoeZVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had booked for an early dinner, but got there even earlier than expected, and decided to sit at the bar for a drink beforehand. The Bar is a real beauty - made of nickel forged in France - and according to the Bar tender - just one of two such bars in NY). The whole restaurant has a totally authentic french bistro decor, and a charming ambience. We actually ate outside, and it was a really lovely sidewalk patio with flowers, and a great ambience of its own. It was restaurant week, and two of us ate off the restaurant week pre fix menu, and the other ordered al a carte from the main menu. The food was delicious, and we would definitely eat here again.Special Features: