Orsa & Winston
122 West 4th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $50 and over
Orsa & Winston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsaandwinston.com/
- Phone: (213) 687-7000
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Josef Centeno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site event inquiries may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Event inquiries may contact email@example.com
A word from Orsa & Winston
Orsa & Winston is the third downtown restaurant from Chef-Owner Josef Centeno, of Bäco Mercat and Bar Amá. Featuring nightly-changing tasting menus, as well as family-style options, the restaurant incorporates sensibilities of both Italian and Japanese cuisines in an intimate 32-seat dining room and open kitchen. A "super-omakase" tasting menu of 20+ courses is available with advance reservations at our 4-seat chef's counter. Due to the small size of our restaurant, reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Orsa & Winston - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Orsa & Winston reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)special occasion (77)romantic (40)notable wine list (36)hot spot (33)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous!Walinda2VIPDined on 11/22/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The food was superb and the staff was attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazedMOSEVIPDined on 11/22/2014I was amazed by the flavors and the really complete dishes. Sometimes when you eat at a restaurant, you feel like the dish needs something but each dish felt complete. A little bit of salt, a little bit of acid, etc. I was so happy with the food that I made reservations at the other restaurants that this chef owned the same night. Will definately be back. The only set back is that the seats are a bit close and I felt a few of the servers butts rubbing on my arm. But aside from that, my wife and I loved the food.Special Features:
- well taken care ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014Everyone at Orsa and Winston worked together to make the Anniversary dinner that I booked a special night. They noticed it was not just a regular dinner and had the kitchen write happy anniversary in chocolate on our dessert plates. An easy and subtle gesture that brought a tear of joy to my ladies face. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatherineVIPDined on 11/15/2014The menu was well designed. The combination of flavors for each dish along with the wine pairing (if you decided to add this on) was fantastic. Each dish was unique and had you wanting more. I thought that we would not have enough food when selecting the 5 course, so we did an add-on of a special duck confit pasta dish. Too much food! The ambiance was very simple but elegant. The service was excellent. Fit for Foodies for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serious magic in the kitchenSashimiDined on 11/13/2014World class , in ground zero DTLA ,Old bank districtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine!OscarVIPDined on 11/13/2014Dinner at Orsa & Winston was simply divine! The menu is predominantly a tasting menu of which we opted for the five course menu with wine pairings. Every dish was exquisite including the kanpashi, sunchoke and salsify soup, satsuki rich with uni, braised lamb belly, and chocolate torte to finish. Each serving was perfectly paired with a delicious wine and in one case sake. The restaurant setting is intimate but not crowding and the service was impeccable. I plan on returning soon and highly recommend a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing once again!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/12/2014My fifth visit. The food continues to be amazing with unique twist yet simple accessible dishes. It has be come my go to place for important or special dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably GreatSecretAsianManDined on 11/8/2014This was visit #3 and it was fantastic as visits #1 and #2. The kitchen's ability to combine flavor, color and texture in ways that delight is incredible. The service is off the charts excellent. The staff is warm and gracious, which adds to the quality of experience in intangible but essential ways. You leave feeling all is right with the world.Special Features:
- So-so & WinstonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We went for our anniversary last weekend and while the wait staff was pleasant & the food quite good its not so memorable overall. The Tasting Menu is plentiful and inventive to a degree but a bit too rich. I prefer a tasting menu option with plenty of other menu items to choose from if opting out of the tasting. The decor is underwhelming in a corporate pared down grey toned way. The noise level is also too loud for my taste - due to porcelain floor tiles and an open floor plan that allows you to see the kitchen with no barriers. Also, the layout is a bit odd as they sacrificed perfectly good table space for a counter/shelving work station, which could have been relocated more out of site. Lastly, soundtrack needs improvement!Special Features:
- Creative Food. Great Service.ItsAboutTheFoodDined on 11/7/2014My wife has strict dietary limitations. The waiters and chef made sure that the meal met those restrictions and at the same time did not take away from the incredible meal. Her dishes remained creative and delicious, compared to most restaurants who either ignore the requests or resort to bland food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalHansupDined on 11/4/2014Food was creative inspired and thoroughly delicious. Service was impeccable. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014I had the 5 course meal with wine pairing. All the dishes were excellent and the alcohol pairing were superb. The waitstaff was very attentive and nice. They even remembered the occasion was for my brother's birthday, which I had written on Open Table comments when making my RSVP. The restaurant was a bit noisy around 8:30 pm and later.Special Features:
- Exquisite food!ibbyDined on 10/28/2014Orsa & Winston is all about the food! We enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu and wine pairing. All aspects of the food were outstanding! and it was lovely to receive an amouse-bouche of cauliflower puree topped with beet reduction in a shot glass to start the meal and a coddled egg with chives and bacon crumbles inbetween the chiogga squash soup and uni with rice. The soup and uni were the highlights for me, each with a depth of flavor that made every bite delectable! Great wine pairings- all complimented the food, except for the sherry which was too sweet despite having some interesting characteristics. Dessert was chocolate mousse- a bit too cloyingly sweet but the textures of the tart, mousse and tuile cookie were quite nice.Special Features:
- FabulousMichelleroamingfoodieVIPDined on 10/28/2014Our meal ranks among the best meals I've ever had. We chose the 5 course menu and added a few items to it from the a la carte options. Each dish wowed more than the next. I had read only a few reviews so didn't have much in the way of pre-set expectations for the experience going it. I want to thank the staff and chef for a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazeballsMonkeyDined on 10/25/2014I'm not very experienced when it comes to fine dining. I'm sure someone out there could find something to complain about. But my date and I had one the best meals of our lives here. It was a lot of fun! The food was delicious. The drinks were delicious. And the service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014Our first time and maybe our last. The food is excellent, although with a minimum of five courses, it is more than we needed. When we arrived at 6:00, there was no valet available for this downtown eatery - they should have been there for a Saturday night by then. This meant going around to find a parking lot somewhere nearby. The other problem was the noise level, which was a true deterrent for serious dining. We couldn't wait to get out of there! By that time there was valet service of no use to us.Special Features:
- JrosVIPDined on 10/22/2014Air conditioning not adequate. Very warm inside. Food temp was off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestglenneuroVIPDined on 10/22/2014Orsa and Winston has slowly become better and better. The imagination and refinement of what is presented here just expands. If you want to dine at one of the best restaurants in the country, come here. Let's hope Josef Centeno can continue with his success here. Los Angeles needs more restaurants like this. And they are starting to show up.Special Features:
- Outstanding Once AgainAdricalDined on 10/21/2014This is the 4th time I have had dinner at Orsa & Winston and once again it did not disapoint. It has become my go-to restaurant for special celebrations. Each time the food is both outstanding and intriguing and each time the wait staff have been charming and thoughtful.Special Features:
- Great little downtown spotMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a cozy little restaurant that creates sweet little dishes that are tasty and creative. It was love at first bite for me. Providence without the hefty price tag.Special Features:
- Great meal!DiningduoVIPDined on 10/17/2014We tried the 8 course tasting menu and were very impressed. Each course was amazing! Loved the flavor combinations and the creativity. Service was great and wine pairings with each course were very good as well. Can't wait to go back and try another menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerDD510Dined on 10/14/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday - got the 5 courses tasting menu + an extra dish of squid ink pasta with lobster & uni butter w/ kumquat sauce, it was the bomb! The interior is quite simple but chic, service is good, and we enjoyed every course. I am still dreaming about their squid ink pasta! One think to take note at is that their dishes tend to be on the sweet & sour side, which is refreshing and I love it, but it may not be for everyone.Special Features:
- Great Food And Service!!JeffryDined on 10/14/2014Excellent menu .... Superior service.... Great food.... Go Try This!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but...PrivateDInerVIPDined on 10/11/2014Been a number of times now. You must have a reservation and it takes weeks to get one. You do NOT get to choose what you eat, unless of course you have foods that you cannot eat, just tell your server. The food is consistently good, for the money, the ambiance and noise is a problem. Bur service...nice people, always nice but our server disappeared without an explanation and people around us were getting their final courses before use even though they came after us by about 10-15 minutes! Don't think it was personal, just bad management/organization? Will go again but probably not for awhile.Special Features:
- RestaurantureDined on 10/10/2014The food is superb, but the noise level is so I we will never go again and wil recommend to our friends that that they do not go to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Not what we had hoped forchitsgDined on 10/8/2014The good was great, service top notch but the noise level inside the restaurant was much too loud. This was especially remarkable considering the size of the restaurant. We sat next to a loud group and had difficulty holding a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine pairings took it over the topChop10Dined on 10/4/2014Each dish was exquisitely prepared, the service was knowledgable and responsive, but what really stood out was how well paired the wine was to each dish. It revealed aspects of the food that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceAdricalDined on 10/3/2014The food at Orsa & Winston is simultaneously innovative and yet accessible and soooo good. I have eaten there three times in the past six months and each time with each different 5 course menu it has been a true dining delight. The service is great without being snooty. The space is simple and tightly packed with very happy diners. I will be going back again the next time I have an excuse to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Presentation is everythingMinouyeDined on 9/26/2014We were there for 5 adults, and we are not a family or close friends. They have preset menu 5 and 8 courses. Everybody in the group have to take same # of course. So we decided to challenge 8 course menu. All dishes were amazing, wonderful presentation. We were a bit worried if 8 course is too much food, it was right amount of foods. Nobody left anything on each plate. I would choose this restaurant to entertain my clients, service was remarkable.Special Features:
- Good food, nice placeWellfedbutdeafDined on 9/24/2014The place is sophisticated, quietly elegant. The clientèle is for the most part "trendy". The food is however the main attraction and lives up to its reputation. Dinner is served at a good pace, so there are no long gaps between the various dishes which are - for the most part small bites. Good wine list, reasonably priced. As the case everywhere, the hard surfaces of the restaurant (including rather unattractive formica topped tables, deliberately and whimsically reminding of coffee shop tables) do not help the sound level which I personally found at times unbearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th time was flatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We've been here 3 times before and have loved it, raved about it to friends and sent many others their way. This past Sat night we had some friends visiting us from Istanbul and we figured we'd take them to share one of our favorites. Sat night just seemed flat and uninspired - this was our first time there w/o Chef Centeno cooking and unfortunately the food tasted as if it was phoned in. Amuse bouche w/ habanero jelly just did not click, coddled egg was cold and drowning in balsamic, the pork loin dish was overcooked and more akin to an airline entree than something from the normally creative and inspired palette of the crew behind Baco Mercat, Bar Ama etc... I hope this was just an off night. Sally's magic w/ the wines was also amiss.Special Features:
- SuperbAzaniaDined on 9/19/2014In a word, fantastic! The five course meal (really eight courses with the complimentary delights from the kitchen) was substantial and satisfying. Flavors were delicate, unusual, and delicious. Presentation was exquisite. Service impeccable without being fussy, although replacing water glasses after the scrumptious coddled egg would have been nice. The end of the meal (rather ordinary dessert of berry crumble followed by short bread nibbles) was anti-climactic. We would have preferred to stop with the pre-dessert palette cleanser, the delectable melon granita.Special Features:
- Good but lacking valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014$260 for a 5 course...mind you tiny plates. A bit bold sans the reputation of providence etc. Felt the need to order an entree after the meal.
- Best fine dining in L.A.4food4allDined on 9/17/2014The tone of this place fits my bill: the food is incomparably sourced and fresh, flavor combinations are unexpected and delicious, and each dish is meticulously plated. The wait staff was friendly, unobtrusive, attentive, quick, and cared for all our needs with quiet subtlety. We also noticed the open kitchen was spotless! Kudos to O&W and Chef Centeno. They deliver a memorable dining experience at a modest price, which for my money, cannot be beat in L.A.Special Features:
- 90 degrees outside and NO AC. WTFHotunderthecollarDined on 9/16/2014This past Tuesday night it was 90 degrees outside and it was 80 degrees inside your restaurant. The food was great and the service was perfect!!! "its an old building" was the excuse. it was very uncomfortable and took away from perfect food and exceptional service.Special Features:
- Thank you Orsa WinstonEnjoyDn9Dined on 9/12/2014Great service, really friendly staff. Delicious dishes with perfect balance and presentation. The whole meal took over 3 hours with 15 dishes, but understandable since it was a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerejordanaDined on 9/9/2014We had the 5 courses menus and they were just amazing. We enjoyed the dinner so much! It is probably one of the best restaurants I ever ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and location!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We've been wanting to try O&W for some time now and it didn't disappoint. Great service, food and ambiance. My wife and I both had the five course pre-fixed meal and we added the bone marrow appetizer, which was delicious. Great experience and would love to come back.Special Features:
- Best meal in LAcarolinecade91Dined on 8/30/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever had in LA. My husband and I were there celebrating our anniversary. It is always hard to find a place we are both blown away by because our palettes are very different, however this meal BLEW US BOTH AWAY. Each course was delicious and thoughtfully presented. The waitstaff was all very personable and approachable. The decor is spartan, however this really fits with the fibe O&W has going. We were beyond satisfied!Special Features:
- Great meal, can't wait to go back!live2eatDined on 8/29/2014I can't remember a time when every dish from a set menu was this outstanding! There is attention to detail in every bite, and yet feels whimsical...such a fine balance of fine dining and just feeling fine. I really can't wait to go back in try the 8 course or even the "super omakase".Special Features: