Orsa & Winston
122 West 4th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $50 and over
Orsa & Winston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsaandwinston.com/
- Phone: 2136877000x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Josef Centeno
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site event inquiries may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Event inquiries may contact email@example.com
A word from Orsa & Winston
Orsa & Winston is the third downtown restaurant from Chef-Owner Josef Centeno, of Bäco Mercat and Bar Amá. Featuring nightly-changing tasting menus, as well as family-style options, the restaurant incorporates sensibilities of both Italian and Japanese cuisines in an intimate 32-seat dining room and open kitchen. A "super-omakase" tasting menu of 20+ courses is available with advance reservations at our 4-seat chef's counter. Due to the small size of our restaurant, reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Orsa & Winston - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Orsa & Winston reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (84)romantic (43)notable wine list (43)hot spot (35)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (7)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- 90 degrees outside and NO AC. WTFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014This past Tuesday night it was 90 degrees outside and it was 80 degrees inside your restaurant. The food was great and the service was perfect!!! "its an old building" was the excuse. it was very uncomfortable and took away from perfect food and exceptional service.Special Features:
- Thank you Orsa WinstonEnjoyDn9Dined on 9/12/2014Great service, really friendly staff. Delicious dishes with perfect balance and presentation. The whole meal took over 3 hours with 15 dishes, but understandable since it was a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerejordanaDined on 9/9/2014We had the 5 courses menus and they were just amazing. We enjoyed the dinner so much! It is probably one of the best restaurants I ever ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and location!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We've been wanting to try O&W for some time now and it didn't disappoint. Great service, food and ambiance. My wife and I both had the five course pre-fixed meal and we added the bone marrow appetizer, which was delicious. Great experience and would love to come back.Special Features:
- Best meal in LAcarolinecade91Dined on 8/30/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever had in LA. My husband and I were there celebrating our anniversary. It is always hard to find a place we are both blown away by because our palettes are very different, however this meal BLEW US BOTH AWAY. Each course was delicious and thoughtfully presented. The waitstaff was all very personable and approachable. The decor is spartan, however this really fits with the fibe O&W has going. We were beyond satisfied!Special Features:
- Great meal, can't wait to go back!live2eatDined on 8/29/2014I can't remember a time when every dish from a set menu was this outstanding! There is attention to detail in every bite, and yet feels whimsical...such a fine balance of fine dining and just feeling fine. I really can't wait to go back in try the 8 course or even the "super omakase".Special Features:
- Worth the Wait...dtlaexplorerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Have tried again and again to remember to make reservations but always forget to give myself enough lead-time. It's a small restaurant so reservations fill-up weeks in advance. I finally timed it right and wasn't disappointed. The service and food was outstanding. My first 5-star rating in over a year. We did the 5-course with the wine pairing, and the chef even customized it for my seafood allergy. Really a delightful evening and although we hardly ever go to the same place twice - we both agreed we would be back here sometime in our future.
- great food in a humble settingjcraissDined on 8/28/2014We arrived at 630 PM on a Thursday The restaurant was only 1/2 full, quiet, staff relaxed, attentive. We did the 9 course with 1 wine pairing. By 830 PM, the restaurant was almost full, maybe one table open. Staff busier. Setting very simple: wooden chairs and tables. Cost about $320 including a 20% tip. Food and wine very, very good. Wonderful tea selection: unusual to find pu-erh tea in a restaurant. Amazing oloroso sherry with dessert. Interesting wines well-matched to food. Great corn soup, pork main dish, It suffered in comparison to a similar meal, 1 month before in Beaune, at Loiseau des Vignes, where room was less crowded, better decorated, cheese cart and tea included in price. But great for LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful wine and food experience!reetzDined on 8/27/2014We were delighted surprised in the best way possible, A truly imaginative chef delighting our sense with every course.Special Features:
- Gourmet delight in DTLACwick65Dined on 8/23/2014Our recent visit here for an amazing dinner brought to mind the French Laundry. Exquisitely prepared food presented by a team of cordial, well-informed servers. Great place to celebrate my wife's birthday. We' ll be back.Special Features:
- Absolutely enjoyed Orsa & WinstonsharethebestVIPDined on 8/14/2014We ordered the five course menu noting dietary restrictions. All the food was wonderful, interesting and delicious. They were very respectful of dietary guidelines and made each unique to our needs and delicious to our palate. The service was pleasant. The servers very knowledgable of dish details and lovely. The restaurant size is rather small, very personal and inviting. thanks for a terrific night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014We didn't get the individual prix fixe dinners, but I would have thought that the family-style still what have been amazing. The savory dish wasn't glorious. I did the paired wines and didn't get one of them. Some of this was my party's fault. One member was quite hopeless and very late. May try it again but with less volatile dinner companions.
- Excellent food Great ServiceupstairsxcelntVIPDined on 8/13/2014Celebrated an anniversary here the food was excellent and the service was great. Everything served was very high quality food and tasted great. I would say that the portions were a little bit small for a Prix fix menu but still tasted wonderful.Special Features:
- Chef's Choice = hell yesThurbDined on 8/12/2014We did a 5 course omakase and wine pairing and added the squid ink pasta w/ uni. It was more than enough food for us, and so many fun interesting flavors and presentations. Definitely perfect for a special night out. Service was fantastic, the waitstaff was very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fascinating dinnerVenturaguyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Impeccable ingredients impeccably prepared. The 5 course dinner was well constructed with each course leading into the next including some small and tasty extras! A few usual ingredients and combinations added to the interest resulting in a very enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing gem in Downtown LAfourteentooneDined on 8/8/2014Went here for the first time last week, had their tasting menu with a couple of extras. The French/Asian hybrid works to perfection here, including a particularly memorable eggplant dish (I normally dislike eggplant). Often these kinds of high-end places end up giving me a new perception of dishes / ingredients I wouldn't normally have or put together. When it's done well, it's great, and when it's done poorly, it's awful! Fortunately, it is the former with this superb restaurant. We will be back for the Super Omakase (20 courses!). Service was impeccable throughout, one minor complaint is that our waitress did not say goodbye to us before she left, which was a surprise for a restaurant of this quality.Special Features:
- billchinVIPDined on 8/8/2014food taste was excellent however, I am not certain if a lamb belly is an entree for healthy eating. there is menu to select from and the 5 or 8 course menu is presented without telling the guests what the elements are. next time I will ask.Special Features:
- small, loud, great foodckingDined on 8/2/2014small restaurant, doubtful you can get in w/ out resvs, but perhaps possible. they do have seats at a bar facing the kitchen, but those are not comfortable for extended time five/eight course meals could take. our menu did not list any food. our choices were five courses, eight courses and with or without wine pairing. so the idea is; chef controls your meal, just trust everything will be right. in fact, i had no idea what i would be eating. they will make changes due to allergies, etc. everything we had was amazing, but just be aware the diner is not choosing. it's all up to chef. do you like that? don't like it? it's up to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely dobosla94Dined on 8/2/2014Simply outstanding. Very unique dining experience: you basically put yourself in the chefs hands and go along for the journey. Everything was so flavorful and the presentation was notably innovative. The staff was incredibly friendly and explained every course in detail. We did the wine pairings as well, which I definitely recommend. It would be a pity to pick just one wine to accompany every course. If allergies are a concern- they were very accommodating and worked around my mom's shellfish allergy to the point that I didn't feel like she was missing out at all. All in all, if you want a true EXPERIENCE as opposed to just another meal, you've got to come here. I could not have been more impressed. This is what dining is all about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousNYLAGRLDined on 7/31/2014Delicious food, beautifully presented. Wine pairings were excellent. Worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingGlendaleDined on 7/30/2014We sat at the bar next to the kitchen and was amazed by every course !!! such a fun evening to celebrate my birthday! thank you for the great food!!Special Features:
- VERY NICEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014I took Dr. Aneesah Smith there for dinner and tried the 5 Course meal. The courses are tini tiny and good. I'd recommend it if you're trying to enjoy a nice meal with various flavors to slap your palette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely 8 course wine paired dinnerFoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was wonderful. Most of the seafood dishes including the sea urchin was great. The meat dishes were okay. The restaurants interior and the way the tables were setup was rather simple and not what I personally prefer, we however got a seat right by the kitchen at what you could call "bar seating" almost and that was quite nice. Sitting next to your date is what I prefer anyways if possible ;-)Special Features:
- Orsa & WinstonMrSaltyDined on 7/19/2014Gone to all of Josef's places starting with Lazy Ox in Little Tokyo. This one was disappointing. We had the omakase. I have sent back perhaps once before in my life and I had to send back the main (duck confit with pasta) because it was TOO salty and I usually salt my food. The host came out and said that he did taste it and, "I thought it was a little salty too." Questions then arises, why did you serve it? and how did you taste it? Nonetheless they asked if we would want another course or dessert (stupid question), we chose another course, which was fine. However after returning the duck dish, I felt a frost come over the restaurant and upon leaving no one apologized, and one did thank us for coming. Not planning to rec or go back.Special Features:
- O&W makes believers out of skepticsJRSlayDined on 7/19/2014One of the more attentive restaurants I went to. There weren't designated servers or bussers, seemed like every wait staff on the floor dropped by our table to either serve food and water or clear dishes; a total team operation. We sit at our table, a woman comes over and begins to share with us the layout of the evening which is Japanese/Italian small plates; it's pretty much a chef's choice tasting menu, great for me being an adventurous foodie willing to try anything. My mom, however, is very particular; I begin to think it will be a bad night for her. The server provides hope that for a $12 fee, mom can 'Customize' her menu (no raw, no 'gamey' meat); surprisingly, both of us leave O&W as one of the best dinners we've had.Special Features:
- Foodie DelightfoodieDined on 7/18/2014If you like all kinds of food, (don't have a lot of dietary restrictions) and want to experience a kaleidoscope of wonderful flavors, textures and temperatures, Orsa and Winston is a place that you will want to experience. The menu is primarily "chefs' choice, so you are putting yourself in the hands of a wonderful and thoughtful chef. The wine pairings that accompany the 5 or 8 courses are truly inspired. It's the only restaurant where I've eaten that I find myself thinking a few days later--that was an unusual choice, but it makes perfect sense, now that I've eaten it. The master chef at Orsa and Winston is a thinker and an aesthetic wizard!Special Features:
- As good as it getsglenneuroVIPDined on 7/18/2014Now with Valet parking out front anyone can easily access Orsa and Winston. The entire experience is spot on. The creativity of the food, the pace of the serving is just right. Exceeds all expectations and is getting to be a very busy location.Special Features:
- Fabulous!!TatyDined on 7/18/2014We had the 5 course menu. You come to this restaurant for the food- everything is carefully prepared with excellent quality ingredients. Service is very professional and attentive without being intrusive. I particularly loved the crudo, so fresh!, and the corn soup with generous pieces of lobster, and the orso with uni, and, and....everything. This is Centeno at his best. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & ImpeccableChouVIPDined on 7/18/2014Amazing food, breath-taking presentation-- this is the reason why tasting menu's exist-- a chef's impeccable palate and understanding of what dishes work together. Masterful service & food.Special Features:
- Dinner Sublimedeedee57Dined on 7/12/2014We eat often and have sampled fabulous food in Los Angeles, New Orleans, the Highlands of Scotland, Oaxaca, Tokyo, Florence, Rome and Venice. Although Orsa and Winston does not have the ambience of a local trattoria in Florence, an island hotel in Scotland, or a courtyard in an old house in New Orleans, it is not about the ambience but the food! Orsa and Winston stands out for its delicious and creative tasting menu, lovely wine pairings, and its outstanding service. I can't see it getting any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah-mazing Dining Experience!LuvADCDined on 7/2/2014Delicious food with excellent service! We had the 8 course omakase with wine pairings which was more than enough food but would love to try the Super Omakase on our next venture there. Great addition to downtown LA!Special Features:
- Special occasion for sureAMTETJEDined on 7/2/2014We went there for our 10th anniversary dinner. We got a "menu" with a course option. You choose 5 or 8. We started with 5 and saw the sizes of the portions and changed to 8 which the kitchen staff completely accommodated. Either 5 or 8 would have been plenty. We had no choice or info on each course which for us was kind of exciting. If that's not your thing, you won't be overly thrilled. It forced us to try new things (i.e. Quail, lamb underbelly). Our waiter was awesome but I feel like the other staff that delivered our courses were hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner experiencelifetooshort4badfoodDined on 6/27/2014Great place to take your foodie friends, particularly the 8 course dinner. The pace of the meal & the different textures & flavors of the dishes make this a perfect place to take someone who appreciates food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experience was goodLove2eatDined on 6/24/2014But my husband kept complaining the food came out too slow. We went with our sister in law who expected to eat raw fish Omakase style. She came out dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience at least onceDowntownFoodieDined on 6/20/2014We live around the corner and definitely had to experience it once! With wine pairing it is expensive (>=$100 per person) The menu is innovative and prepared beautifully. Some of the items were "wow" and some were just good. I am glad we went but it is not likely to be somewhere we go often.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 6/20/2014I had the 8-course omakase. Most dishes were delicious, particularly the hamachi, the salmon, and the quail. Service was excellent and the place was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!SecretAsianManDined on 6/19/2014Wonderful spot to celebrate our anniversary. Each dish was better than the next, culminating in a carmelized banana chocolate tort that blew our socks off.Special Features:
- Disappointing4LittleoneDined on 6/18/2014After reading good reviews, we had high expectations. The food was overall just too salty, our mouths were puckered by the second of our eight courses. The service was so slow we gave up on the last two courses. Even dessert was below expectations. Our advise is to skip this one and go next door to Bar AMA instead.Special Features:
- One of a great findChiyowhiteDined on 6/13/2014I love the food here. It's good experience. This time was my 2nd time. Normally I don't give grading to any restaurant until I go there 2nd time or 3rd time, it's because I think it's when I really truly know if the food is constantly good. I like the food and the portion of it.Special Features:
- jkl1VIPDined on 6/13/2014Amazing food fantastic flavors. Simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.