18 E Martin St
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ororaleigh.com/
- Phone: 9192394010
- Hours of Operation:
SERVING LUNCH AND DINNER Monday: 11am - 10pm Tuesday: 11am - 10pm Wednesday: 11am - 10pm Thursday: 11am - 10pm Friday: 11am - 2am Saturday: 5pm - 2am Sunday: 4pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hylton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: ORO can cater your next event whether it be a business lunch or a wedding reception! Catering menus are available by contacting us through our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Boasting an upstairs mezzanine with a 9-foot fireplace that can accommodate up to 40 guests seated and 60 guests for a standing reception, ORO can exceed your expectation for any business meeting or social gathering. For larger parties who desire the use of the entire ORO space, the facility can accommodate up to 80 guests seated and 150 guests for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Cara Hylton 9192394010
A word from ORO
ORO Restaurant & Lounge located in the heart of Downtown Raleigh, is a fun, chic, and casual restaurant in the PNC Building at the corner of Martin and Wilmington Streets. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, ORO serves dishes that are designed for sharing among friends and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Offering 16 wines-on-tap; ORO's wine list, cocktail selection, and variety of local beer is diverse and exciting to please all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
ORO reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (50)romantic (39)hot spot (36)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (30)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (12)scenic view (7)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Delicious food,great atmosphere highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except for portion sizeLotsOfriendsDined on 10/24/2014The place is beautiful! The service is really good as well! The food taste great! I could see it being good for a date night, but it is definitely not the place for group dining. The style of the restaurant makes it so you share plates of food as they are brought out. The only problem is that the plates are so small that when you have a group you literally would only get like one bite of eat plate. It's really awkward to have to ration off each plate.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theater dinnerVolunteer81VIPDined on 10/19/2014This was my second visit to ORO. A great downtown Raleigh find, very modern design, open kitchen, and enough variety on the menu to satisfy almost everyone. The portions on the sharing plates are generous, and paired with an extensive wine selection, makes an enjoyable pre-theater dinner choice.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceShelleyDined on 10/18/2014I met some friends here for dinner and drinks and it did not disappoint. We shared several smalls plates and had some delicious wine. The portions sizes even for the small plates was very generous. I highly recommend this place to anyone, especially if you dig a lively bar scene and lots of energy.Special Features:
- noisy & mediocre foodJazzygirlDined on 10/17/2014Then noise level was close to unbearable. The wine , which was a Bordeaux style blend was ice cold and when we mentioned it to our wait staff, her comment was no one has ever complained before. The Veal ravioli was ok, the Gnocchi was bland and the prociutto in the gnocchi was stringy and fatty. The bison was not flavorful but the sauce was good. We skipped dessert after the disappointment of the other 3 courses and headed up the street to Joule and had a delicious cake & coffeeSpecial Features:
- OroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We went at 630 pm on a Friday Night. Our waitress Ann was great. We got 4 shared plates - 1. Gnocchi with Duck 2. Pork Belly 3. Bison Tenderloin w Potatoes, 4. Fish Taco's - we got the Salted Caramel Brownie for dessert and I had a glass of Riesling -- with tip the bill was about $90. The Pork Belly was Great! The chef came out to speak with us and asked us how we heard about the restaurant. As it got later and more crowded the noise level was almost deafening. We couldn't talk to each other across a very small table, and when I left my ears were hurting. We waited a good 15+ minutes for our check after we asked for it. I would go back but only when they weren't so busy. The noise was from people talking not music.Special Features:
- ORO reviewKyleDined on 10/11/2014It is a little hard to classify this place, but it was great! The food was incredible; the atmosphere is very modern, cool, a lot of activity yet the privacy was still very good; The service and staff were incredible....... A fun group and very attentive as this was our first time. Highly recommend this place as both the food and service were well above what I was expecting- an absolute great place and great experience!Special Features:
- Awesome!NjfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Amazing tapas! Every bite was so tasty. Service was excellent too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening!nocarolinagirlDined on 10/10/2014Took some friends and had a great evening. Food meant to share so we had a number of small courses. We like to eat that way. Everything we ordered was superb, and you don't overeat. Only complaint is that it was a little loud.Special Features:
- Great tapas-ish diningtheleighVIPDined on 10/7/2014Something about this place has always made me a little leery to try it, like it looks cold and intimidating almost, but the food and service more than makes up for it. A friend and I split 4 "small plates" and two deserts and it was perfect- we both enjoyed every single dish and the seasonal NY Strip was amazing. It is the first meal I have had in a long time where every dish was better than I was expecting. Contrary to the sterile feel of the decor, the server was extremely friendly and helpful and a manager stopped by twice to see how we were doing. I was very impressed with the experience overall and we felt like our business was appreciated.Special Features:
- Great restaurantwoystahVIPDined on 9/27/2014My wif and I ate supper here. The food was excellent. Service was friendly and flawless. Fun to order and share the small plates.Special Features:
- Yummy experienceFine2dineVIPDined on 9/25/2014I frequent this restaurant and the food is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRaleighfoodieDined on 9/21/2014What an amazing variety of small plates they offer. The veal ravioli and pesto gnocchi were brilliant. The server was unenthusiastic, to say the least, and didn't do much to explain menu items, even when we asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Options - Big Tapas PortionsajklineDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I enjoy the tapas experience of ordering a bunch of different plates to share so that we can try smaller portions of multiple different dishes. The portion sizes at ORO were a little larger I would say than most tapas restaurants though. We had eyed up 5 different plates to try but started with just 3 and were stuffed after the first round. The fish tacos, truffle mac & cheese, and sauteed bok choy were all on point though! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time, still very goodcnorman99Dined on 9/13/2014Took our out-of-town niece here. Great meal. Sharing tapas plates was good for conversation and fun. All the dishes were tasty. Gnocchi and duck dish was outstanding. And so was the Truffle Mac/Cheese. Having a wine list that includes Cakebread by the glass is wonderful.Special Features:
- Good Food, but LOUD!!HungryDined on 9/12/2014My friend and I enjoyed the food at ORO and the service was good. It was so loud in there, though, I had a headache by the end of my meal. I was thinking of coming here with my husband on Valentine's Day, but I'm probably gong to select another place because I don't want to have to yell across the table just so he can hear me. Too bad...I had high hopes for this place.Special Features:
- Food 9 / Atmosphere 4OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Several groups dining that evening made for a loud environment and seemed to stretch the wait staff. Very good food at a reasonable price.
- Maybe an off nightJustOkayDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Oro on several occasions and have enjoyed the food and lively atmosphere. I took a friend there for her first visit a few days ago and was a little embarrassed by the quality of the food. The gnocchi seemed bland and under-seasoned, although the duck that was mixed in was tasty. The nightly special, halibut I think, was $28.00 for a "six ounce" portion with lobster on top. It seemed more like four ounces and there was very little lobster. Like the gnocchi, the fish was under-seasoned and bland. I have had better dishes there and will give it another chance in the future.Special Features:
- Date Night Go-ToOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This was our second time at ORO, both having been for a double date night. The small plates menu and extensive wine listing makes for the perfect environment to dine the night away. For 3 hours of fantastic food, drink, and laughter, the bill was well worth it. It took a little while for the waiter to attend to us, but once we were on his radar, there were no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit disappointed / Wife's BdayregaleagleDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and service (Beth) was excellent. My wife specifically asked me to take her to this restaurant for her birthday. When making the reservations on line I specifically put in the "comment" section that it was her birthday and she wanted to try this place...it was our first time eating there. I asked if they read all their comments online and she said absolutely! The disappointment came when NOBODY wished her a happy birthday :-( Also, when we were leaving I asked the young lady at the front that I thought I remember seeing carriage rinds in downtown Raleigh and did she know where they started from. Quickly, AND her only response was you can always check Google!Special Features:
- ehhhhhleftwantingmoreDined on 8/29/2014It wasn't busy, we had reservations and we were sat at undoubtedly the worst seat in the restaurant. We were sandwiched between a loud, large group and a wall...even though there were lots of other more secluded, less intrusive seats available. This left lots to be desired. The pork belly was amazing, the scallops were great but overpriced (two and a sea of noodles for almost $20) but the worst part about the night was the duck gnocchi. Soooooo bland!!!! I would give this place another shot for sure bc there were several things on the menu I'd like to give a go but maybe just a seat at the bar next time...and NO gnocchi!!!
- The food is very excellentFine2dineVIPDined on 8/29/2014If you are a picky and expect high quality food prepared by a world class chef look no further. My new favorite place. Fish tacos and shrimp and grits were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I will certainly return for the spring rolls and seared scallops!Special Features:
- deliciously awsomeHorribleVIPDined on 8/27/2014All of the above ...great place to eat !!! Give them a chance if you've never had the dining experience !! You will not be disappointed !!! They have something for everyone's taste desires !!!Special Features:
- Great Choicegordon9487Dined on 8/24/2014A few of us went to Oro for restaurant week, and it was very good. We chose off the pre-set menu and everything was great. The service was fine, and the restaurant itself is very nice. The only problem was they ran out of the desert we were all hoping to get when we looked at the menu before choosing ORO, so obviously it was good. Otherwise everything was great!Special Features:
- We left hungry...happyeatersDined on 8/24/2014Oro is a beautiful restaurant with a nice atmosphere. The food was very tasty, however, for the amount of money we paid, we were very disappointed in the value. We ordered off the "pick 3 for $30" menu. The appetizer, main dish, and dessert were all delicious, but the portions were extremely small. In addition, the waitress was not very happy, but that might be due to climbing up and down the stairs so much.
- food was just ok for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The peppercorn sauce in the ny strip steak was flavorful. However, the steak itself was not tender even when it was cooked to rare. The smoky ribs were crispy but dry. The caramelized pork has good flavor, but it was almost all fat and no meat. The only items that are worth trying are the salmon and the flan. the jicama sauce in the salmon dish was good. The flan was very creamy and made the trip worth while.Special Features:
- Eating at Oro'sAlexisDined on 8/22/2014Out of all the restaurant week places, we chose to eat at Oro's. 2 of us ordered from the 3 course meal menu and one person ordered from the menu. The ribs and pear salad were flavorful and amazing. The women at the table loved the Truffle Mac & Cheese. The actual entrees from the restaurant menu were not as flavorful as the appetizers. It made me a little sad. NY Steak should not remind me of country style steak in bites. The Shrimp Risotto was blah. I think they could have been awesome but the apps were so amazing, that the flavors were just underwhelming. We tried the orzo and duck and the fried chicken entrees as well. They were both well received. The service was ok. My water stayed empty for long stretches, and she seemed in a rush.Special Features:
- Night Outnclkb123VIPDined on 8/22/2014A fun night out with my sweetie! The LOBSTER RAVIOLI with sage butter was out of the world! :-) My salmon and his steak was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great value for restaurant weekSBRgalDined on 8/22/2014Paid same price as other restaurants for three courses but not much good. Oro great taste and if you like tapas but we won't use it for restaurant week again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatieDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant has a very cool ambiance and our waitress was on point. We went for restaurant week and I must admit I was slightly disappointed in the value compared to other restaurant week options. The food was good but if you are looking to take advantage of the prices at restaurant week, the limited menu at this price wasn't worth it. The portions are much smaller than other restaurants that participated and the prices is still $30. If you are looking to take advantage of the value of restaurant weeks, I would go to other restaurants, BUT the food is still delicious and is worth giving a shot any other night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Our kids went for their first anniversary and liked it so much they gave us a gift certificate for ours. Great food, good portions. Scallops with noodles were great. Don't skip the caramel brownie. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great!lovvitDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful. I definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- Food is goodChefCindyDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed the small plates. I did like that you can share and have a variety of tasting with your dinner guests. Wine and beer menu nothing to complain about. Over all an enjoyable evening and I will be returning.Special Features:
- great food but noisyletsgoeatVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our small plate foods were wonderful but we could hardly hear each other talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekRMGREBDined on 8/20/2014This was our 3rd trip here and probably would not go back during restaurant week. There were misses on the restaurant week menu but their regular menu is a home run! Would definitely go back again, perfect for large groups, quick bite prior to heading out on the town or relaxing dinner with your better half.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very impressedTexanDined on 8/18/2014The decor is contemporary - We had several different plates, everthing was good. The service was a bit slow, but we were not in any hurry. I would go again, it is a great place for a special night out or to meet friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go, be amazed, repeatseanbrinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Raleigh was detour for us - totally worth it. If you're ever in Raleigh and you don't end up going - you're making a mistake. If you can find an excuse to BE in Raleigh, you have to go to ORO. If you don't have a REASON to go to Raleigh - FIND ONE, NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first time as we were visiting from out of town. Excellent option for dinner. Staff was extremely professional and friendly. The hostess/manager made trips around checking in with folks on their experience. We chose to dine at the bar which was a great experience. The food was very good. A nice variety with various spices and ethnic styles. The small plates were not all that small, but it was still more fun than ordering one entrée. If I had to pick something that prevented the fifth star it was that the wine list was quite good, but very overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful Discoveryeljsmith2004Dined on 8/16/2014My sister and I took friends to ORO to celebrate their birthdays. It was new to all of us, and we were eager to try the various small plates. It was an eclectic menu with plenty of options. Everything was delicious, from the chicken and pork potstickers to the fried chicken & fried green tomatoes to the bbq ribs! We shared seafood paella and wild mushroom risotto, both generously portioned and flavorful. The truffled mac and cheese was a favorite. It's a small place, but the balcony has a nice ambience and view. The service was friendly and efficient, and the chef visited each table to greet and see how folks were enjoying the food. We all agreed we had to return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.