18 E Martin St
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ororaleigh.com/
- Phone: 9192394010
- Hours of Operation:
SERVING LUNCH AND DINNER Monday: 11am - 10pm Tuesday: 11am - 10pm Wednesday: 11am - 10pm Thursday: 11am - 10pm Friday: 11am - 2am Saturday: 5pm - 2am Sunday: 4pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hylton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: ORO can cater your next event whether it be a business lunch or a wedding reception! Catering menus are available by contacting us through our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Boasting an upstairs mezzanine with a 9-foot fireplace that can accommodate up to 40 guests seated and 60 guests for a standing reception, ORO can exceed your expectation for any business meeting or social gathering. For larger parties who desire the use of the entire ORO space, the facility can accommodate up to 80 guests seated and 150 guests for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Cara Hylton 9192394010
A word from ORO
ORO Restaurant & Lounge located in the heart of Downtown Raleigh, is a fun, chic, and casual restaurant in the PNC Building at the corner of Martin and Wilmington Streets. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, ORO serves dishes that are designed for sharing among friends and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Offering 16 wines-on-tap; ORO's wine list, cocktail selection, and variety of local beer is diverse and exciting to please all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
ORO reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)special occasion (63)romantic (47)good for groups (33)hot spot (33)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (31)late-night find (17)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (11)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Third time, still very goodcnorman99Dined on 9/13/2014Took our out-of-town niece here. Great meal. Sharing tapas plates was good for conversation and fun. All the dishes were tasty. Gnocchi and duck dish was outstanding. And so was the Truffle Mac/Cheese. Having a wine list that includes Cakebread by the glass is wonderful.Special Features:
- Good Food, but LOUD!!HungryDined on 9/12/2014My friend and I enjoyed the food at ORO and the service was good. It was so loud in there, though, I had a headache by the end of my meal. I was thinking of coming here with my husband on Valentine's Day, but I'm probably gong to select another place because I don't want to have to yell across the table just so he can hear me. Too bad...I had high hopes for this place.Special Features:
- Food 9 / Atmosphere 4OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Several groups dining that evening made for a loud environment and seemed to stretch the wait staff. Very good food at a reasonable price.
- Maybe an off nightJustOkayDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Oro on several occasions and have enjoyed the food and lively atmosphere. I took a friend there for her first visit a few days ago and was a little embarrassed by the quality of the food. The gnocchi seemed bland and under-seasoned, although the duck that was mixed in was tasty. The nightly special, halibut I think, was $28.00 for a "six ounce" portion with lobster on top. It seemed more like four ounces and there was very little lobster. Like the gnocchi, the fish was under-seasoned and bland. I have had better dishes there and will give it another chance in the future.Special Features:
- Date Night Go-ToOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This was our second time at ORO, both having been for a double date night. The small plates menu and extensive wine listing makes for the perfect environment to dine the night away. For 3 hours of fantastic food, drink, and laughter, the bill was well worth it. It took a little while for the waiter to attend to us, but once we were on his radar, there were no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit disappointed / Wife's BdayregaleagleDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and service (Beth) was excellent. My wife specifically asked me to take her to this restaurant for her birthday. When making the reservations on line I specifically put in the "comment" section that it was her birthday and she wanted to try this place...it was our first time eating there. I asked if they read all their comments online and she said absolutely! The disappointment came when NOBODY wished her a happy birthday :-( Also, when we were leaving I asked the young lady at the front that I thought I remember seeing carriage rinds in downtown Raleigh and did she know where they started from. Quickly, AND her only response was you can always check Google!Special Features:
- ehhhhhleftwantingmoreDined on 8/29/2014It wasn't busy, we had reservations and we were sat at undoubtedly the worst seat in the restaurant. We were sandwiched between a loud, large group and a wall...even though there were lots of other more secluded, less intrusive seats available. This left lots to be desired. The pork belly was amazing, the scallops were great but overpriced (two and a sea of noodles for almost $20) but the worst part about the night was the duck gnocchi. Soooooo bland!!!! I would give this place another shot for sure bc there were several things on the menu I'd like to give a go but maybe just a seat at the bar next time...and NO gnocchi!!!
- The food is very excellentFine2dineVIPDined on 8/29/2014If you are a picky and expect high quality food prepared by a world class chef look no further. My new favorite place. Fish tacos and shrimp and grits were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014I will certainly return for the spring rolls and seared scallops!Special Features:
- deliciously awsomeHorribleDined on 8/27/2014All of the above ...great place to eat !!! Give them a chance if you've never had the dining experience !! You will not be disappointed !!! They have something for everyone's taste desires !!!Special Features:
- Great Choicegordon9487Dined on 8/24/2014A few of us went to Oro for restaurant week, and it was very good. We chose off the pre-set menu and everything was great. The service was fine, and the restaurant itself is very nice. The only problem was they ran out of the desert we were all hoping to get when we looked at the menu before choosing ORO, so obviously it was good. Otherwise everything was great!Special Features:
- We left hungry...happyeatersDined on 8/24/2014Oro is a beautiful restaurant with a nice atmosphere. The food was very tasty, however, for the amount of money we paid, we were very disappointed in the value. We ordered off the "pick 3 for $30" menu. The appetizer, main dish, and dessert were all delicious, but the portions were extremely small. In addition, the waitress was not very happy, but that might be due to climbing up and down the stairs so much.
- food was just ok for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The peppercorn sauce in the ny strip steak was flavorful. However, the steak itself was not tender even when it was cooked to rare. The smoky ribs were crispy but dry. The caramelized pork has good flavor, but it was almost all fat and no meat. The only items that are worth trying are the salmon and the flan. the jicama sauce in the salmon dish was good. The flan was very creamy and made the trip worth while.Special Features:
- Eating at Oro'sAlexisDined on 8/22/2014Out of all the restaurant week places, we chose to eat at Oro's. 2 of us ordered from the 3 course meal menu and one person ordered from the menu. The ribs and pear salad were flavorful and amazing. The women at the table loved the Truffle Mac & Cheese. The actual entrees from the restaurant menu were not as flavorful as the appetizers. It made me a little sad. NY Steak should not remind me of country style steak in bites. The Shrimp Risotto was blah. I think they could have been awesome but the apps were so amazing, that the flavors were just underwhelming. We tried the orzo and duck and the fried chicken entrees as well. They were both well received. The service was ok. My water stayed empty for long stretches, and she seemed in a rush.Special Features:
- Night Outnclkb123VIPDined on 8/22/2014A fun night out with my sweetie! The LOBSTER RAVIOLI with sage butter was out of the world! :-) My salmon and his steak was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great value for restaurant weekSBRgalDined on 8/22/2014Paid same price as other restaurants for three courses but not much good. Oro great taste and if you like tapas but we won't use it for restaurant week again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatieDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant has a very cool ambiance and our waitress was on point. We went for restaurant week and I must admit I was slightly disappointed in the value compared to other restaurant week options. The food was good but if you are looking to take advantage of the prices at restaurant week, the limited menu at this price wasn't worth it. The portions are much smaller than other restaurants that participated and the prices is still $30. If you are looking to take advantage of the value of restaurant weeks, I would go to other restaurants, BUT the food is still delicious and is worth giving a shot any other night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Our kids went for their first anniversary and liked it so much they gave us a gift certificate for ours. Great food, good portions. Scallops with noodles were great. Don't skip the caramel brownie. Will be back.Special Features:
- Great!lovvitDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful. I definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- Food is goodChefCindyDined on 8/22/2014I enjoyed the small plates. I did like that you can share and have a variety of tasting with your dinner guests. Wine and beer menu nothing to complain about. Over all an enjoyable evening and I will be returning.Special Features:
- great food but noisyletsgoeatVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our small plate foods were wonderful but we could hardly hear each other talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very impressedTexanDined on 8/18/2014The decor is contemporary - We had several different plates, everthing was good. The service was a bit slow, but we were not in any hurry. I would go again, it is a great place for a special night out or to meet friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go, be amazed, repeatseanbrinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Raleigh was detour for us - totally worth it. If you're ever in Raleigh and you don't end up going - you're making a mistake. If you can find an excuse to BE in Raleigh, you have to go to ORO. If you don't have a REASON to go to Raleigh - FIND ONE, NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first time as we were visiting from out of town. Excellent option for dinner. Staff was extremely professional and friendly. The hostess/manager made trips around checking in with folks on their experience. We chose to dine at the bar which was a great experience. The food was very good. A nice variety with various spices and ethnic styles. The small plates were not all that small, but it was still more fun than ordering one entrée. If I had to pick something that prevented the fifth star it was that the wine list was quite good, but very overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful Discoveryeljsmith2004Dined on 8/16/2014My sister and I took friends to ORO to celebrate their birthdays. It was new to all of us, and we were eager to try the various small plates. It was an eclectic menu with plenty of options. Everything was delicious, from the chicken and pork potstickers to the fried chicken & fried green tomatoes to the bbq ribs! We shared seafood paella and wild mushroom risotto, both generously portioned and flavorful. The truffled mac and cheese was a favorite. It's a small place, but the balcony has a nice ambience and view. The service was friendly and efficient, and the chef visited each table to greet and see how folks were enjoying the food. We all agreed we had to return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suggestions..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Just order one or two items at a time. Everything comes out very quickly, which is a good thing but you feel as though you have to rush to eat everything while it's hot. It is very noisy. Also, the a/c is set on very low, so bring a sweater if you are at all bothered by the cold. I would not recommend it for a quiet dinner for two. But, the food is great and the service is as well.Special Features:
- Fabulously deliciousChipmunkDined on 8/8/2014My friend and I had wonderful wine, dinner, and dessert. We got to try out several different dishes and every single bite was truly tasty. Vegetable, seafood, and meat dishes - they were all fantastic. Some dishes surprised me in a very good way with combinations of different flavors. We were stuffed from dinner but we couldn't say no to the Campfire dessert. Not only it's yummy but it's a dessert you can have fun with! Great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceTwinsmom30Dined on 8/7/2014All dishes we ate were excellent. Service was fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNCfoodieDined on 8/3/2014My teenage daughter and I were in town for a show and wanted something different for dinner. I stumbled across this restaurant and thought we would give it a try. We were promptly seated by our server and he explained that Oro's menu was like a tasting menu and that all dishes were shareable. He was friendly and very accommodating. I asked if they has sweet tea and he said they didn't but he would be happy to make some for me and it was perfect! My daughter and I chose the soup of the day (heirloom tomato), chicken and pork potstickers, pork belly, mushroom risotto and truffle mac and cheese. The food was amazing!! And it was plentiful because we ended up with more food than we could eat. If I'm back in Raleigh, I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FlavorsFoodnaticDined on 8/2/2014The tapas style servings allow you to sample many different dishes, all with their own unique and varied flavors, seemingly from around the world. The service was great, and the modern spacious setting allowing for a terrific atmosphere and view of the downtown street scene. Excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Loved the restaurant but they did not read the instructions for seating us with another party because reservation could not be made for 6 people. However after a short wait they accommodated us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique placelawstudentDined on 8/2/2014Our first time at ORO the food was great the bellini was great. This is a fun place for a coupleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatHorribleDined on 8/1/2014Awesome place to eat !!! Different style of food @ great prices !!!! Definitely would recommend !!!Special Features:
- PerfectionFoodieforThoughtDined on 7/29/2014If you are a foodie and within an hour of ORO. GET IN THERE. perfection from the moment we hit the door to the moment we exited the building. A tapas-style dining experience, we gushed over and savored every morsel. We tried about 9 different main event items, and 2 desserts, and each dish was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun foodMLuckyDined on 7/26/2014My second experience here was excellent. Fun food, fun chef, good wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNCPeteDined on 7/26/2014Everything was great about this place. Fish tacos are killerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmAmberDined on 7/18/2014This was my 3rd time at Oro. The food was great as usual. The only thing was the truffle mac n cheese which is my fav was a tad bit bland but everything else was AMAZINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not crowded at lunchlhb87VIPDined on 7/18/2014This was a good spot for lunch. Not crowded, service was quick. Service could have been friendlier though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time for dinnerVinnieVIPDined on 7/16/2014had eaten lunch there a few times and enjoyed it. dinner is an entirely different experience and even more enjoyable. tapas style, food comes out when ready and it gets ready quickly......we were only 3 people, but next time we want to bring about a dozen and order one of each menu item! each dish was better than the previous one.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceDanaDined on 7/11/2014Had a nice visit, but you never really know how much food to order at a small plates restaurant. I always get the soy, ginger green beans which are awesome here. The crab potstickers/dumplings were very flavorful. Only complaints were that we asked for our steak plate to be "Medium" and it was very medium rare. Wrong meat temps at restaurants irritate me. And the desserts were TINY. Definitely not a sharing portion. Be forewarned. But the crème brulee cheesecake was very tasty. Would come again. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features: