18 E Martin St
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ororaleigh.com/
- Phone: (919) 239-4010
- Hours of Operation:
SERVING LUNCH AND DINNER Monday: 11am - 10pm Tuesday: 11am - 10pm Wednesday: 11am - 10pm Thursday: 11am - 10pm Friday: 11am - 2am Saturday: 5pm - 2am Sunday: 4pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hylton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: ORO can cater your next event whether it be a business lunch or a wedding reception! Catering menus are available by contacting us through our website.
- Private Party Facilities: Boasting an upstairs mezzanine with a 9-foot fireplace that can accommodate up to 40 guests seated and 60 guests for a standing reception, ORO can exceed your expectation for any business meeting or social gathering. For larger parties who desire the use of the entire ORO space, the facility can accommodate up to 80 guests seated and 150 guests for a standing reception.
- Private Party Contact: Cara Hylton 9192394010
A word from ORO
ORO Restaurant & Lounge located in the heart of Downtown Raleigh, is a fun, chic, and casual restaurant in the PNC Building at the corner of Martin and Wilmington Streets. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, ORO serves dishes that are designed for sharing among friends and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Offering 16 wines-on-tap; ORO's wine list, cocktail selection, and variety of local beer is diverse and exciting to please all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
ORO reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (50)romantic (37)hot spot (35)good for groups (29)notable wine list (26)neighborhood gem (25)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (10)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Outstanding!$Wlg930Dined on 11/22/2014What an amazing experience! From the moment we walked in we knew this would be a great place. The decor was beautiful and the ambiance was relaxed yet sophisticated. We decided to go last minute for a friend's birthday and boy are we glad we went! Our server Anthony was so knowledgeable and very engaging. The food was amazing! Just right to share amongst friends. The drink I ordered was delicious and the executive chef even stopped by and had a chat with us!! After finding out it was my friend's birthday, he proceeded to send over a desert!! Which of course was AMAZING!! We will definitely be back to Oro. It felt like we were dining in NYC! Definitely one to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellentFrayDined on 11/21/2014Everything was outstanding except the shrimp and grits. It was good, but the combination of flavors was not exactly what was expected. Not a big deal as it was tapas where everything is small portions. Overall, fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticjmjonesDined on 11/21/2014Oro is a romantic, hip restaurant, with many delicious tapas. We weren't totally wowed by every tapa like we thought we would be, but we will definitely go back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014this is a small plate restaurant, it's best to get a bunch of them and be prepared to share them all, although I tried a few that I will be selfish on next time. Definitely try the roast duck gnocchi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small But Packs a Punch!gnusulDined on 11/15/2014This little restaurant was a great find for a last minute Saturday night dinner. Me and my best friend was looking to try something new and break the monotony of our usual haunts. I looked up tapas raleigh on google and Oro was suggested in Yelp. I barely scanned the menu before making a reservation on Open Table which was good I did because the place was packed. We were sat upstairs and could see most of the restaurant with a great view of the windows where you can see the street as well. The menu is small (on page) but well rounded on choices and flavors no matter your dietary needs. I chose two light dishes (Corn Fritters & Seared Scallops) and was not disappointed. The corn fritters were light and airy crispy but not friend to oblivion served on top of a chipotle bacon jam, perfection!!! The seared scallops were absolutely the best in the state, far too often scallops are overcooked but these were so good that I was sad only because there were only two in the dish. They were served over Israeli couscous and orange with a drizzle of olive oil. I took my time eating this dish because I didn't want the flavor to leave. Great meal, great staff and great food what else could we try....I didn't try the wine just wasn't in the mood but I was ready for something sweet. So we tried the Campfire, its make you own s'mores! Served to your table is a small platter with fire in the center ready for you to make your roasted marshmallow creation with melted chocolate and crush graham crackers and an added bonus of fresh fruit. With hot herbal tea and honey it didn't matter that we asked to move to accommodate a large table. The food and experience were marvelous my compliments to the chef and his staff for a well played Raleigh Tapas night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a ride.......!KenFDined on 11/9/2014ORO is unique in this area, small plates meant to be shared. The 3 of us did just that, sharing 6 "main" dishes and 2 desserts and all were excellent in every way. From service to presentation to taste the gnochihi, bison, spring rolls, pork belly, dumplings, and rock shrimp were all equally excellent and the desserts to die for. Despite it's somewhat stark, two tiered layout we found the restaurant to be warm and inviting. True, tables were close together but on a Sunday night this wasn't a problem. The goings-on in the open kitchen were a show in themself since the menu is practically a world tour of types and styles of food all done on a small scale. ORO is highly recommended... we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, small portionsMickeyDined on 11/7/2014Service and ambiance were great, but food was only ok and the portions are pretty small for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedtriathletececeDined on 11/7/2014This was my second time dining here and this visit was a little disappointing. After being shuffled upstairs, we had to stand there and wait while the hostess and waiter argued over where to sit us. We were finally seated after several minutes of being stuck in the middle of the seating crisis. We were deciding on wine when we were told we had to move to another table downstairs to accommodate a reservation...note we had made a reservation as well. The service was slow and after all the moving us around, I would have expected at least an apology or a visit from the manager to our table. I won't be dining here again for a while.Special Features:
- Great idea - well executedlel4866Dined on 11/3/2014I really like the idea of many interesting dishes designed for sharing (about 2 people per dish). They pulled it off well. Obviously, when you get lots of different things, not all of them are going to match your tastes perfectly, but that's kind of the point - discover how you like various new combinations. I thought the price was somewhat inexpensive compared to the quality.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Delicious food,great atmosphere highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except for portion sizeLotsOfriendsDined on 10/24/2014The place is beautiful! The service is really good as well! The food taste great! I could see it being good for a date night, but it is definitely not the place for group dining. The style of the restaurant makes it so you share plates of food as they are brought out. The only problem is that the plates are so small that when you have a group you literally would only get like one bite of eat plate. It's really awkward to have to ration off each plate.Special Features:
- Perfect pre-theater dinnerVolunteer81VIPDined on 10/19/2014This was my second visit to ORO. A great downtown Raleigh find, very modern design, open kitchen, and enough variety on the menu to satisfy almost everyone. The portions on the sharing plates are generous, and paired with an extensive wine selection, makes an enjoyable pre-theater dinner choice.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceShelleyDined on 10/18/2014I met some friends here for dinner and drinks and it did not disappoint. We shared several smalls plates and had some delicious wine. The portions sizes even for the small plates was very generous. I highly recommend this place to anyone, especially if you dig a lively bar scene and lots of energy.Special Features:
- Good but not great...Meg1591Dined on 10/17/2014My boyfriend and I went to Oro as a Friday night treat. I was expecting excellent food for the price, and I ended up a little disappointed. My favorite was the Truffle Mac and Cheese and the duck gnocchi, both which I would get again. We also got the hummus plate, spring rolls, and the potstickers all of which were not to the standards I expected for the price. We finished with the mango chocolate cheesecake and the s'mores dessert. The cheesecake was small and not great, but the s'mores were very fun and was good for the price. It provided something new to enjoy. The meals were sub-par for the price, but the decor was stylish and a great date place. Overall, I enjoyed the experience, but for the money will likely not be going back.Special Features:
- noisy & mediocre foodJazzygirlDined on 10/17/2014Then noise level was close to unbearable. The wine , which was a Bordeaux style blend was ice cold and when we mentioned it to our wait staff, her comment was no one has ever complained before. The Veal ravioli was ok, the Gnocchi was bland and the prociutto in the gnocchi was stringy and fatty. The bison was not flavorful but the sauce was good. We skipped dessert after the disappointment of the other 3 courses and headed up the street to Joule and had a delicious cake & coffeeSpecial Features:
- OroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We went at 630 pm on a Friday Night. Our waitress Ann was great. We got 4 shared plates - 1. Gnocchi with Duck 2. Pork Belly 3. Bison Tenderloin w Potatoes, 4. Fish Taco's - we got the Salted Caramel Brownie for dessert and I had a glass of Riesling -- with tip the bill was about $90. The Pork Belly was Great! The chef came out to speak with us and asked us how we heard about the restaurant. As it got later and more crowded the noise level was almost deafening. We couldn't talk to each other across a very small table, and when I left my ears were hurting. We waited a good 15+ minutes for our check after we asked for it. I would go back but only when they weren't so busy. The noise was from people talking not music.Special Features:
- ORO reviewKyleDined on 10/11/2014It is a little hard to classify this place, but it was great! The food was incredible; the atmosphere is very modern, cool, a lot of activity yet the privacy was still very good; The service and staff were incredible....... A fun group and very attentive as this was our first time. Highly recommend this place as both the food and service were well above what I was expecting- an absolute great place and great experience!Special Features:
- Awesome!NjfoodieDined on 10/11/2014Amazing tapas! Every bite was so tasty. Service was excellent too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening!nocarolinagirlDined on 10/10/2014Took some friends and had a great evening. Food meant to share so we had a number of small courses. We like to eat that way. Everything we ordered was superb, and you don't overeat. Only complaint is that it was a little loud.Special Features:
- Great tapas-ish diningtheleighVIPDined on 10/7/2014Something about this place has always made me a little leery to try it, like it looks cold and intimidating almost, but the food and service more than makes up for it. A friend and I split 4 "small plates" and two deserts and it was perfect- we both enjoyed every single dish and the seasonal NY Strip was amazing. It is the first meal I have had in a long time where every dish was better than I was expecting. Contrary to the sterile feel of the decor, the server was extremely friendly and helpful and a manager stopped by twice to see how we were doing. I was very impressed with the experience overall and we felt like our business was appreciated.Special Features:
- Great restaurantwoystahVIPDined on 9/27/2014My wif and I ate supper here. The food was excellent. Service was friendly and flawless. Fun to order and share the small plates.Special Features:
- Yummy experienceFine2dineVIPDined on 9/25/2014I frequent this restaurant and the food is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRaleighfoodieDined on 9/21/2014What an amazing variety of small plates they offer. The veal ravioli and pesto gnocchi were brilliant. The server was unenthusiastic, to say the least, and didn't do much to explain menu items, even when we asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Options - Big Tapas PortionsajklineDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I enjoy the tapas experience of ordering a bunch of different plates to share so that we can try smaller portions of multiple different dishes. The portion sizes at ORO were a little larger I would say than most tapas restaurants though. We had eyed up 5 different plates to try but started with just 3 and were stuffed after the first round. The fish tacos, truffle mac & cheese, and sauteed bok choy were all on point though! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time, still very goodcnorman99Dined on 9/13/2014Took our out-of-town niece here. Great meal. Sharing tapas plates was good for conversation and fun. All the dishes were tasty. Gnocchi and duck dish was outstanding. And so was the Truffle Mac/Cheese. Having a wine list that includes Cakebread by the glass is wonderful.Special Features:
- Good Food, but LOUD!!HungryDined on 9/12/2014My friend and I enjoyed the food at ORO and the service was good. It was so loud in there, though, I had a headache by the end of my meal. I was thinking of coming here with my husband on Valentine's Day, but I'm probably gong to select another place because I don't want to have to yell across the table just so he can hear me. Too bad...I had high hopes for this place.Special Features:
- Food 9 / Atmosphere 4OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014Several groups dining that evening made for a loud environment and seemed to stretch the wait staff. Very good food at a reasonable price.
- Maybe an off nightJustOkayDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Oro on several occasions and have enjoyed the food and lively atmosphere. I took a friend there for her first visit a few days ago and was a little embarrassed by the quality of the food. The gnocchi seemed bland and under-seasoned, although the duck that was mixed in was tasty. The nightly special, halibut I think, was $28.00 for a "six ounce" portion with lobster on top. It seemed more like four ounces and there was very little lobster. Like the gnocchi, the fish was under-seasoned and bland. I have had better dishes there and will give it another chance in the future.Special Features:
- Date Night Go-ToOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014This was our second time at ORO, both having been for a double date night. The small plates menu and extensive wine listing makes for the perfect environment to dine the night away. For 3 hours of fantastic food, drink, and laughter, the bill was well worth it. It took a little while for the waiter to attend to us, but once we were on his radar, there were no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit disappointed / Wife's BdayregaleagleDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and service (Beth) was excellent. My wife specifically asked me to take her to this restaurant for her birthday. When making the reservations on line I specifically put in the "comment" section that it was her birthday and she wanted to try this place...it was our first time eating there. I asked if they read all their comments online and she said absolutely! The disappointment came when NOBODY wished her a happy birthday :-( Also, when we were leaving I asked the young lady at the front that I thought I remember seeing carriage rinds in downtown Raleigh and did she know where they started from. Quickly, AND her only response was you can always check Google!Special Features:
- ehhhhhleftwantingmoreDined on 8/29/2014It wasn't busy, we had reservations and we were sat at undoubtedly the worst seat in the restaurant. We were sandwiched between a loud, large group and a wall...even though there were lots of other more secluded, less intrusive seats available. This left lots to be desired. The pork belly was amazing, the scallops were great but overpriced (two and a sea of noodles for almost $20) but the worst part about the night was the duck gnocchi. Soooooo bland!!!! I would give this place another shot for sure bc there were several things on the menu I'd like to give a go but maybe just a seat at the bar next time...and NO gnocchi!!!
- The food is very excellentFine2dineVIPDined on 8/29/2014If you are a picky and expect high quality food prepared by a world class chef look no further. My new favorite place. Fish tacos and shrimp and grits were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodM1SSCVIPDined on 8/28/2014I will certainly return for the spring rolls and seared scallops!Special Features:
- deliciously awsomeHorribleVIPDined on 8/27/2014All of the above ...great place to eat !!! Give them a chance if you've never had the dining experience !! You will not be disappointed !!! They have something for everyone's taste desires !!!Special Features:
- Great Choicegordon9487Dined on 8/24/2014A few of us went to Oro for restaurant week, and it was very good. We chose off the pre-set menu and everything was great. The service was fine, and the restaurant itself is very nice. The only problem was they ran out of the desert we were all hoping to get when we looked at the menu before choosing ORO, so obviously it was good. Otherwise everything was great!Special Features:
- We left hungry...happyeatersDined on 8/24/2014Oro is a beautiful restaurant with a nice atmosphere. The food was very tasty, however, for the amount of money we paid, we were very disappointed in the value. We ordered off the "pick 3 for $30" menu. The appetizer, main dish, and dessert were all delicious, but the portions were extremely small. In addition, the waitress was not very happy, but that might be due to climbing up and down the stairs so much.
- food was just ok for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The peppercorn sauce in the ny strip steak was flavorful. However, the steak itself was not tender even when it was cooked to rare. The smoky ribs were crispy but dry. The caramelized pork has good flavor, but it was almost all fat and no meat. The only items that are worth trying are the salmon and the flan. the jicama sauce in the salmon dish was good. The flan was very creamy and made the trip worth while.Special Features:
- Eating at Oro'sAlexisDined on 8/22/2014Out of all the restaurant week places, we chose to eat at Oro's. 2 of us ordered from the 3 course meal menu and one person ordered from the menu. The ribs and pear salad were flavorful and amazing. The women at the table loved the Truffle Mac & Cheese. The actual entrees from the restaurant menu were not as flavorful as the appetizers. It made me a little sad. NY Steak should not remind me of country style steak in bites. The Shrimp Risotto was blah. I think they could have been awesome but the apps were so amazing, that the flavors were just underwhelming. We tried the orzo and duck and the fried chicken entrees as well. They were both well received. The service was ok. My water stayed empty for long stretches, and she seemed in a rush.Special Features:
- Night Outnclkb123VIPDined on 8/22/2014A fun night out with my sweetie! The LOBSTER RAVIOLI with sage butter was out of the world! :-) My salmon and his steak was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not great value for restaurant weekSBRgalDined on 8/22/2014Paid same price as other restaurants for three courses but not much good. Oro great taste and if you like tapas but we won't use it for restaurant week again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.