Oro at The Emily Morgan Hotel– a DoubleTree by Hilton
705 E Houston Street
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Oro at The Emily Morgan Hotel– a DoubleTree by Hilton
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.emilymorganhotel.com/oro-restaurant
- Phone: (210) 244-0146
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jose Tibbitts
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our culinary team can deliver any vision that one can dream in regards to catering. Whether it’s a large or small event we take the time and effort in showcasing five star service and execution. We have banquet facilities, private dining areas, and even the capability of doing events on the Alamo grounds being the official hotel of the Alamo.
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Tatum 210-244-0125x
- Special Events: Come Celebrate Valentine's day at Oro Restaurant
A word from Oro at The Emily Morgan Hotel– a DoubleTree by Hilton
A unique dining experience showcasing regional flavors from South Texas and using local farmers and purveyors. Oro, meaning gold in Spanish, offers a variety of favorites at very affordable prices. We strive to go above and beyond with both our cuisine and service. Our bar offers martini and drink specials nightly. We can accommodate large parties for an intimate gathering or festive outing. We look forward to seeing you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oro at The Emily Morgan Hotel– a DoubleTree by Hilton reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- SATfoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014Oro at Emily Morgan is an undiscovered gem. The food is good - the service was good and there were not many people. Going to dinner prior to the symphony at the Tobin Center , this is an excellent choice - it is a 10 minutes walk and Oro has valet parking. We will do this again.Special Features:
- Awesome Mac-and-CheesecigardawgDined on 9/26/2014The Mac and three cheese really was the best we had ever had. We also had the avocado and heirloom tomato salad which was delicious. The brisket springrolls were very inventive and tasty. Drinks were very good as well-my wife had the cucumber martini and I had an old fashioned. Service was excellent. Our only complaint was that our particular booth was wicked uncomfortable. I would definitely return, I'd just ask for different seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2014We waned to try something new so we went downtown to Oro. The staff assumed we were tourists like almost everyone who eats here. It was actually fun acting as tourists in a beautiful restaurant across from the Alamo. I wanted chillquilles and mentioned to our server how everyone had their own interpretation on this local classic. The chef certainly does! With char-grilled chicken and homemade salsa verde I know I will return for more. Oro is a great downtown gem with highly original creations and a beautiful relaxing restaurant.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceWsmithVIPDined on 5/9/2014The dining room of this hotel was entirely empty during lunch when I went despite being located directly across from the Alamo. Prices are high for mediocre food and well meaning but poorly trained staff. I was excited by the description of the brisket spring roll but when it came, I had to remove some paper towel remnant from the wrapping process and the brisket was indiscernible. The best part of the dish was a smear of a spicy, smokey BBQ sauce on the plate. Had the Cobb salad with chicken which was overpriced and really poor. Tomatoes were improperly prepared and stems not removed before chopping. Corn was definitely frozen which is fine if you give it some char for flavor. Staff were really ill trained but well meaning.
- Very disapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/31/2014When seated, some of our party had no cutlery and more had no bread plate. We were provided no menus. After an initial drink order, we were given fewer menus than we had diners and asked to share. After we ordered, we were ignored by waitstaff for 45 minutes. We asked about the status of our meals and were told that it would be another 10-15 minutes. Food was delivered about an hour after we ordered. Food quality was mediocre. Easily among the worst restaurant experiences I have ever had.
- Worst everCocoDined on 3/10/2014We had a party of 8 for dinner. When we walked in and saw there were only two tables with customers, I should have been a little leery. Then when I saw butcher paper with crayons, I should have left. They were understaffed as our waiter was also the bartender. We ordered drinks which took 20 minutes. The meal took forever and they forgot one order. It was brought out nice and hot and the person that waited for it said it was hot and very tasty. Otherwise, the hamburger and my steak were over cooked and cold. They were out of two menu items. The vegetables on the menu were not as specified. The vegetables that were served were oily and cold. We ordered the cream brûlée for dessert and it was horrible! Overall worst meal ever!
- A Big DisappointmentMikeDined on 2/15/2014We made a reservation for a family dinner based on the good reviews, on-line menu and location. We were very disappointed. The restuarant was out of several of the feature items that we liked on their menu, the service was extremely slow and indifferent. They pretty well ruined our evening out. In retrospect we should have gotten up and left after the first 1/2 hour of waiting without bread or anything... A conversation with the manager left me unimpressed, although he did offer some accomodation on the bill, but that didn't give us our family evening back.
- Poor, very poor, and worse...unimpressedDined on 2/14/2014Our "special dinner" was a flop. San Antonio treated us very well, but the restaurant was terrible. We got there on time for reservations and the Oro Restaurant was overbooked, they were out of the main food items and made poor substitutions. The waiter was so flustered he was hard to find. The chef was booed when he made an appearance to go get a drink at the bar. All of the wait staff was flustered, and the manager refused to make any substitutions. It was a "take what we've got" meal that was cold mashed potatoes and "not filet steak" full of fat and grizzle. Very unpleasant for flying to Texas and spending $$$ for special valentines occasion.
- Don't eat thereGigiDined on 2/14/2014I spent two hundred dollars on he worst meal I have ever had. I would never recommend this restaurant. The fillet mignon was tough with absolutely no taste. The chef should be fired if this is a upscale restaurant. With food like that McDonald would have been better
- Took my girlfriend for ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend for Valentines Day and she was so impressed. We had a wonderful time and an enjoyable evening. I would recommend Oro to my friends who want to take their spouses or significant others for a special night out and not to miss the bar..good drinks and friendly bar staff.Special Features:
- Great foodEcoloradoDined on 2/5/2014The most delicious Mac-n-cheese! Fantastic salads too .Special Features:
- Not what was advertisedTinaDined on 12/31/2013Website advertised a 3 course meal with champaigne and fireworks on the roof. We got neither! The food was good and service fair, but not at all what we wanted and expected. Once we found out it was too late to make arrangements to go elsewhere.
- We went in to celebrate beforebbachpartyDined on 12/13/2013We went in to celebrate before my sister moved to California. We all had a great time, food was great, as was the service; and David at the bar made some great drinks.Special Features:
- MediocreBadhaircut57Dined on 10/5/2013The roasted chicken was very dry. The ceviche had very little fish in it. The waiter was totally disorganized and had a hard time keeping up, although there were very few people in the restaurant.
- Great!Food05Dined on 9/13/2013Food was great! Service was outstanding! The event was fun!Special Features:
- Expensive for hotel bar grub. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2013Expensive for hotel bar grub. I tried a burger that was average. The fries weren't cooked well. The worst part was the she crab soup that was potato based? Overall, not a good experience.
- Not a spot for foodCharlieBooHooDined on 8/6/2013I never post reviews but this was important. Total MISS on food. Should be better, considering Oro is housed within Historical Emily Morgan Hotel. Oh well. Someday...Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2013Great food, Great atmosphere, Great service. This charming Victorian hotel is next to the Alamo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good meal ruined by poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2013We picked this restaurant because it was well located and we were looking for a good meal prior to a theatre function. We gave ourselves 2 1/4 hrs for lunch which we believe was enough time for that. Upon arrival, the place was empty and we thought we were lucky we would get served efficiently. We were wrong! After we got our drinks, our server not once came back to ask if we needed refills. We had to ask for him to bring some bread to the table. It took a long time for the appetizers and the entrees to be served, just for our server to realize that he had forgotten to order my daughter's entree. It took 1 1/2 hrs to get the meal on the table. We had to eat it in less than 20 minutes to make our function. The food was very good.
- Much better food than the RiverwalkSeekingGoodFoodVIPDined on 6/15/2013At the last minute, we needed a place to eat for our group of 13. Impossible to get a reservation on the riverwalk. We ended up finding Oro, right across from the Alamo and a nice stroll to the riverwalk. The horse carriages are across the street so it is a festive view at night. At first we thought we made a mistake b/c there was no one else there, but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious and inventive, and it was much better than all the mediocre food we get every time we eat on the riverwalk. Granted, the riverwalk has much more ambiance but Oro had its own charm. We'd definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchDSergiVIPDined on 5/12/2013We booked Oro on a whim. It was great value for the price. The anti pasta was Bountiful and flavorful. The grilled asparagus was especially notable. We also enjoyed the sushi with the extremely sharp was wasabi. Demesnes featured a moist roast pork which I thoroughly enjoyed and grilled flank steak which was exquisite. Young breast of chicken was also flavorful although I only had a small piece. The omelette Station did a credible job on the omelettes. Finally the dessert selection was rather limited although I frankly didn't have much room for dessert. Of note was a small piece of Dutch apple pie which had a flaky crust and a slight tart filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentbubblybbyDined on 5/11/2013I had been there once before, and my second experience absolutely blew me away. I went with my husband an he was ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the delicious food. The portions were decent, and the prices weren't bad. The only minor issues we faced was the menu; we had been given one for linch and one for dinner rather than two dinner menus. Very minute error. I will definitely be going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent attentive service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013Excellent attentive service. Our server went above and beyond to make us feel at home! Lovely breakfast!Special Features:
- Oro has a great atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013Oro has a great atmosphere, service, food, and outstanding drinks.Special Features:
- We booked for a group of 15OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2013We booked for a group of 15 and the Oro staff easily accommodated additions to our group without an issue. The Oro was an exceptional find in the city; close to events, close to Riverwalk and of course, the Alamo is across the street. Delightfully lit and decorated horses with carriages glided by while we dined.Special Features:
- Good place for a Breakfast MeetingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/24/2013The breakfast buffet was what you would expect from any hotel. The eggs were a little cold and tasted different.. But the food was good. The fruit selection was excellent. It's a good place to take clients and have a nice breakfast meeting. The staff was excellent.Special Features:
- A Lovely Place to DineWhitewoodMikeDined on 3/14/2013We had lunch at the Oro and had such a wonderful experience that we skipped our conference group's last dinner and made reservations there! The food was very good and presented with panache. Our waiter was very attentive without being intrusive. The atmosphere in the ORO is comforting and quiet, with each table not too close to the next. Yet you can look out the windows and see the Alamo! If I go to San Antonio again, it will be my stop for several meals!Special Features:
- Overall great experienceRRJBVIPDined on 2/7/2013All the food had great flavor. The reindeer was probably our least favorite thing on the menu, but all the fish we ordered was so flavorful and so perfectly cooked. We were seated immediately thanks to the Open Table reservation, even though there was large crowd at the door when we entered. Great service and nice ambiance.
- delicious, special food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013delicious, special food, excellent service, quiet enough for comfortable conversationSpecial Features:
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012My overall experience at Oro was excellent. A tasty menu that changes with the seasons.Special Features:
- A great night outBiologygalVIPDined on 12/31/2012The Charleston She Crab Soup was delicious and unique. The sweet potato halibut was also cooked perfectly, very light and tender, and wonderful. Oro is a very nice recently updated and modern restaurant in a beautiful historical hotel right next to the alamo. The food, atmosphere, and service were all top notch.Special Features:
- The Oro is a beautiful experiencingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012The Oro is a beautiful experiencing in dining. I have recommended it to three groups already and will not soon forget it. We were there NY Eve and the sparkly hat, horn and beads made a beautiful centerpiece topping the evening already impressing us with sophistication and beautiful service and delicious food.Special Features:
- We dined here Christmas Day.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012We dined here Christmas Day. It was a prefix menu of three courses. Salad, Meats and Vegetables and dessert. We ordered Champagne that came with no ice and was left on the table the whole time and we served ourselves. A cocktail ordered never came and I was told they did not have the ingredients (Campari). All the courses were served at once, salad, meat and veggies. The portions were small on the value proteins. The prefix wines were never offered. Bottom line: it was a farce. It's a coffee shop pretending to be a fine dining restaurant. The Double Tree brand (Hilton) lights outside on the building were crooked and out of place, should have taken that as a sign of what was to come.
- Dissappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012We were the first to arrive for lunch at 12:00 pm and we were not served our meal untill 1:30 pm. We weren't even offered complimentary bread until we asked for it an hour after ordering our meal. The food was good but it wasn't outstanding, and the order of shrimp tacos was a very small portion. The waitress was kind enough to not charge us for the drinks (tea and coffee)or for the bowl of soup I ordered.
- Perfect for date-night; excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Perfect for date-night; excellent food and great service.Special Features:
- Food was less than average.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2012Food was less than average. I had the brisket, which was gristly and unedible. Others in our group said their food wasn't anything to write home about. The location and ambiance was great. Nice looking place, they need a new chef.Special Features:
- Our second visit - second success!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2012We had one breakfast and one dinner at the Oro during a 2 night stay at the Emily Morgan Hotel. We had enjoyed a dinner at the Oro once before so we knew what to expect. The adjoining bar has a great happy our every evening and when we went over to get seated for dinner we were greeted with a Happy 40th Anniversary - a nice touch. For breakfast we both had omelets, both came with two strips of bacon, toast and we ordered coffee. The bill was $30 which was fine for what we received. For dinner we both had the rib eye steaks with baked potato and asparagus - and both were done the way we wanted and were very good.Special Features:
- It was a fairly quite SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2012It was a fairly quite Sunday night, so the place was largely empty. Each course we tried was excellently prepared, if on the expensive side. The dinner portion of crab cakes, for example, was about $25 and consisted of only two cakes on a bed of greens and a fresh corn salsa. While delicious, I don't know that I would pay that much again. There are equally tasty options for less to be had. The appetizers at happy hour pricing were more reasonable and the bartender mixed excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012Overall, I recommend Oro. The location next to the Alamo, but away from the chaotic River Walk is appealing. The food was a bit inconsistent - a terrific crab meat salad followed by an extremely oily shrimp taco. The service started out well, but deteriorated when our waiter could not be found. We called over another server and she told us that our waiter had left the restaurant to deliver a room service order (Oro is within a hotel). This is really unacceptable and points to poor management.
- Small portions and ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012The portions were small, especially for the expense. Our waiter was HORRIBLE and forgot orders, never refilled drinks, and mixed up orders. He was mostly non exsistent. However another waiter was more than happy to help our table of 6 even though he wasn't being tipped.