Orleans Restaurant and Bar
65 Holland St
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Orleans Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.orleansrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 591-2100
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Orleans Restaurant and Bar
Orleans offers a unique fusion of downtown sophistication and neighborhood comfort. We think our restaurant is a gem among Cambridge and Somerville restaurants. Our menu provides an exciting variey of dishes that change seasonally to capture the freshest vegtables, meats and seafood.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Orleans Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food cannot overcome bad servicepigeonnumber3Dined on 11/22/2014My friend arrived first, ahead of our reserved time, and was seated and had ordered a drink before I arrived. When I walked in the hostess appeared as if she might have been high, as she took no notice of me and began walking away from her post when I tried to get her attention. I wandered around to find where my friend was seated and put down my coat. I returned to the hostess station from the rear of the restaurant to try to let the hostess know I was there (for OpenTable credit), whereupon she offered to take me to my friend's table. Duh. As soon as I returned to the table, our waiter came and dropped my friend's drink, and that was the last time he came to the table for at least 10 minutes. We could see him at the register, conversing with another employee, apparently over another patron's check. We finally stopped the dazed hostess who wandered by and asked her to get our waiter. He did come over and mumble an unintellgible apology which seemed to contain the word "busy" (his English was not good.). I was able to order a drink. When he returned with the drink we ordered food. Five minutes later he returned to ask "You had the fish tacos, right?" when in fact I had ordered the goat cheese and fig pizza. Not even close... My friend had ordered onion soup and steak tips. In any normal restaurant, her soup should have arrived first. Instead, after a long wait, all the food was brought at once. When she mentioned to the runner that she had expected her soup first, he muttered something and sent the waiter back. He offered to take her entree back and keep it warm, but she declined. The food was delicious, but this place is so disorganized from front to back that I will not consider returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Service was a bit slow (suspect the bar was the issue). Near the end as we said we needed to get out for a show across the street it picked up, so we should have said that sooner I guess. Candles were a bit smoky smelling (I have allergies/asthma so faux flame would have been my preference). But the food and drink were great and our waitress was a sweetheart. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be good...BaseballChkDined on 9/27/2014I've been going to Orleans for over 10 years now and it is unfortunate that since the renovation the food has really declined. It seems like there is no chef there now and they are just catering to 20-somethings who drink beer/cocktails and don't really care about the food. Too bad. It was really a good place to eat in Davis. Also, they need to get rid of the square plates -- it is impossible to cut food on them as they aren't flush with the table and spin around.Special Features:
- Dog friendly (ish)CityEaterVIPDined on 9/1/2014Orleans is a solid choice in the Davis area for comfort/bar foods. Brunch is always decent. It's a reasonably priced place and it's not poor quality. One reason we like it is for the patio service (in season), because dogs are allowed, as long as they are tied up on the out side of the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happily surprisedRedsoxfan1964VIPDined on 8/30/2014Thank you Open Table! Search the site and found this gem. Looks more like a neighborhood bar than restaurant but the food tells us so done in the kitchen knows what they are doing. We had steak and duck pizza and both were perfect. We will be back.Special Features:
- yes an yes againluv2EatgoodDined on 8/22/2014The staff is always on point. There is no hovering over you. If they see your glass half empty or half full they will come over and ask you if you would like another drink. Prices are reasonable. Fresh food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room To ImprovePabloNYVIPDined on 8/16/2014The service was great, with a highly attentive waiter and prompt delivery of drinks, including repeated water refills, appetizer and main course. However, the food was mixed. Chipotle wings lacked chipotle taste and were too sweet. The best part of my fish tacos was the slaw, but the fish was chewy and, quite honestly, reminded me of frozen fish. My companion's duck confit pizza was very, very good and showed what the kitchen is capable of. My cocktail was generous. Overall, Orleans was a better than average meal, but it can do better and clearly has the ability to step it up.
- The following 42 reviews are from the Orleans Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- 30th birthday brunchyumyumDined on 6/7/2014This past Saturday I was surprised at Orleans by 11 of my friends for my 30th birthday with a brunch celebration. Orleans accomodated us all very well - we had a group table right next to the windows, impeccable service (Adam was AMAZING), delcious food, fantastic drinks, overly accomodating management/staff, and an overall wonderful time. Since it was Saturday the crowd was not too bad, but there was a good flow of other patrons coming through as well - the noise level never got too loud for us (we may have been the loud ones though, in that case I apologize). It was such an amazing time and everything was so delicious - we will certainly be returning again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot with good foodWhiteyVIPDined on 5/28/2014Had a great meal and time at Orleans recently with a party of 10. We were there on a Wednesday night and enjoyed some great food, drinks, company and their lively trivia night (all were very good). Sadly, we lost the trivia game but we enjoyed the fun and we had good service as well. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Value in Davis SqBuckNastyVIPDined on 5/25/2014One of the hidden jewels in Davis Sq for about half the price of some of the pricier options. Great higher end bar food and large eclectic menu for food and drinks make this a spot I visit time and again. Check it out next time you are in Davis Sq.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Bruins!mandii65VIPDined on 5/10/2014My boyfriend and I wanted some place where we could eat dinner and also watch the Bruins. I knew Orleans would be great because there's hardly a seat that cannot see at least one tv. There was some type of issue when we arrived (maybe they overbooked?) but the hostess immediately gave us a booth to honor our reservation. We sat for 3 hours watching the game and were neither hustled nor forgotten about. And the chicken bacon spring rolls are amazing!Special Features:
- Nice meal in Medford/SomervilleEaterVIPDined on 4/27/2014We went for dinner with our son, who us in college nearby. The menu is diverse enough to satisfy most tastes, and everything was delicious! The staff is friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average mealveggirlDined on 4/26/2014ordered fried pickles and the Mediterranean platter as there are not many vegetarian options on this menu. Both were ok. I would recommend this place for drinks/bar food but not necessarily a dinner. May come back but as more of a late night place. DJ was good and the atmosphere was definitely upbeat and fun.
- DinnerKateDined on 4/12/2014I went with friends for dinner. Our table was ready for us when we got there. It took a long time to get the foods and drinks that we ordered. Our waiter was friendly and apologized a few times for the delay with our meals. By the time the food game out, so was hot and some was cold. My burger was delicious though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost a BistroHowieVIPDined on 4/5/2014Orleans has a solid, basic menu that goes beyond your average pub but isn't quite as good as some of the gastro pubs around these days. Their burgers are good-creative, fresh ingredients and cooked well in my experience. Their cubano used to be good. Last visit it was not, as they changed the basic ingredients from fresh pork shoulder to something else. The beer list is good, there are multiple menu options for other kinds of meals, and plenty of tvs to catch the game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014Interesting menu with fresh ingredients. We enjoyed the beet salad -- the goat cheese was particularly good -- fish tacos were generous and very tasty as was the hummus plate. The Guinness pie (short ribs, carrots, horseradish potatoes, and puff pastry top) was excellent! The bread pudding was also very good. It was apparent that the entire staff was on the ball and our server, Adam, was attentive. Good place to eat before or after catching a game or other activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceNoJoDined on 3/22/2014This was our first time at Orleans. The appetizers we ordered were delicious as were the burgers, fish and chips and chicken sandwich. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. We will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:
- First timeEmilyDined on 2/14/2014My first time at Orleans was great! Glad I had a reservation because it was pretty busy. Had such a nice waitress! The truffle Parmesan fries were delicious and so was the chicken and biscuits. Wasn't impressed by the dessert menu, but I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Local Upscale Pub with a TwistOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014I first found this gem when I used to work on Mass Ave in Cambridge. In the summer I'd go to Davis Square looking for a lunch spot. Orleans offered a quick but extremely tasty lunch option and in the summer they open all the windows in the front (the whole storefront opens) to let in a delightful breeze. My birthday just came up and I decided to meet up with 5 girlfriends, making a reservation via Open Table. We sat in one of the great round booths and it was a wonderful night. Perfect cocktails, friendly and prompt service, and a super delish and always changing menu that has a variety of upscale pub food (lobster mac and cheese, chicken and waffles, etc.) So good!Special Features:
- Fun place to grab a biteSkankMuffinVIPDined on 1/4/2014Orleans isn't extraordinary, but the food is good and they have a nice variety of beers on tap. Wouldn't recommend for a date night on a Friday or Saturday night cos it gets loud and crowded, but it's a good place to grab a drink and watch the game. The menu has interesting items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014Had a great meal. Good bar selection for brunch drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was impressed at the NYE prix-fixeemondVIPDined on 12/31/2013Was impressed at the NYE prix-fixe menu, especially after trying it - the goat cheese tart app, lamb and sea bass entrees, and all desserts were amazing. I always love Orleans' normal food, but this definitely kicked it up a notch.Special Features:
- Good for groupsgroupDined on 11/16/2013We went here as a group of 15+ people before a comedy event in Davis Square. I had to call last minute and up the number of people on the reservation, and they were great about accepting the change and adding an extra table for us. We told the waitress that we had a show to get to and timing-wise it worked out perfectly- she brought us the check very quickly after the food so we didn't have to rush around trying to track her down which is often my experience at other places. Food was good and decently priced, drinks were fine (most just got beers or water), all in all a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local PlaceEMSERRDined on 11/8/2013Orleans is a great spot for a slightly less noisy crowd, great unique food, and good service at a decent price. I especially recommend the blackened fish tacos when they have them. They are absolutely amazing.Special Features:
- Slow serviceBrunchBustedDined on 11/3/2013The hostess was not interested in working this day it seems, I had to go to her between getting menus from tables and let her know that we had a reservation. Every time she came to the hostess stand, she would not make eye contact with the people waiting and just left to make rounds. Doing what, I don't know. The waitress was very pleasant, but she did not come by our table until 10 minutes after we sat down. She apologized and said she would be back with water. The entire service was very slow. I am not sure if they were understaffed for brunch (it was busy), but I will not be going back and would not recommend it for Sunday Brunch.
- Always a good choicelillibetVIPDined on 10/12/2013I live around the corner and default to Orleans frequently. The food is good--lots of options, solidly conceived and well-executed. The servers are friendly, but with groups over 6 they and/or the kitchen seem to get overwhelmed. There are banks of tv screens, which I find distracting and annoying, but it's a good place to watch the game, if that's your thing. Their kid menu is pretty standard, but well-made--could use more veggie options--and they're very nice to kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch in Davis SquareEaterVIPDined on 10/6/2013We were a group of seven, including two vegetarians and a vegan, and everyone found something on the menu. They were happy to modify dishes to accommodate us, too. The service was friendly and professional. The good was great. We'll be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PatioDiannaBananaDined on 10/3/2013Given it's location, you wouldn't think that it could be quiet and romantic on the patio but it manages. The only frustration I had with that night was when a couple walked in off the street sat themselves on the patio and proceeded to be rude to their waitress the rest of night because they were never assigned to anyone. You aren't special people, see the hostess. If you don't know how to eat at a restaurant feel free to stay home! That was my only gripe :)Special Features:
- another place in Davis SquareCantabrigianVIPDined on 9/28/2013Okay, Davis Square is finally hip, well, hip and being noticed. But why does this mean that there's a sameness to things, especially the newish things? Anyway, it is all good, if moderating, in Davis these days- food, entertainment, ambience, at least until the snow comes. So, pick your table with some comfort, you won't err on the side of regret, and Orleans will fill the bill admirably. One comment- they messed up my OpenTable reservation the night I went with a party of six. So double-check these things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE ORLEANSLEA87Dined on 8/22/2013I love taking my group of 8-10 friends here, because I've never once had trouble with service or making reservations. Food is delicious and we're never rushed around. PERFECTION.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow dayFoodfansDined on 8/10/2013We didn't need a reservation at 1230 on a Saturday even though we had one. I really loved the burger I had and my friends liked their food. Maybe it's because it was a slow afternoon, but the service was incredibly slow and our waitress was a bit forgetful. I noticed the table next to us was waiting for the server awhile too. I can't say how it is in busier times. Overall I'd probably go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on the outside pathOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2013A truly enjoyable night. The food was excellent, service great and dog friendly... a real plus!Special Features:
- Good food and beer in Davis SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013Orleans was a good choice for dinner last Friday night - a casual and relaxing atmosphere. It helped having an Open-Table reservation since they were busy. We enjoyed some good beers and the food and service were pretty good as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2013My husband and I really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was really good--better than I expected. We had the seafood risotto and the fish tacos. Both entrees were delicious--pefectly seasoned and attractively presented, especially the seafood risotto. Service was very good and there was a very comfortable ambiance. They make great sangria, too. I look forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just no big deal for foodouttolunchVIPDined on 5/23/2013This is fine as a pre concert spot for a bite to eat- which was what we were doing. It is not a place to make a " food destination." Tasty enough and there are some new menu otems so that sparks thing some. Good service; nice beer list with some very good craft beers on tap. So set your expectations on a burger and a beer and you will be happy. I just wish they would add a turkey burger option!
- OrleansSheilaDined on 5/23/2013I googled Orleans for a meeting spot. We were meeting people from out of town that were in the area for the day. Everyone was very happy with their dinner.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Really good food, I would recommend to make reservations unless you don't mind waitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and AccommodatingRicPDined on 5/12/2013The restaurant was very accommodating. I had to change the reservation twice and they adjusted with no problems. A good selection of items to choose from on their menu. Food was very good. Portions were good size and prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been going to OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013I have been going to Orleans for dinner, brunch and drinks since it opened. Love the food and location - service is generally excellent. That said - it is NOT good for groups larger than 4! I had made a Mother's Day reservation nearly 8 weeks in advance for 7 people knowing Orleans books quickly. We ended up having 8 people (called 1 week in advance to alert) and they said they could not give us a bigger table because they were all booked. When we arrived though there were 2 large tables visibly available. The hostess said they were reserved. Those tables were never filled the entire 1.5 hours we were there. The food was delicious, service was fast and effecient. Other than being a little more cozy than desired it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchJennCipDined on 5/12/2013We had great meals as a family of 5. We had a reservation but at 10:45 on Mother's Day I was shocked to see there were plenty of places to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.