Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
6600 Kalanaanaole Hwy.
Honolulu, HI 96826Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://royshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8083967697
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Chris Garnier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Zameer Mallal 8083967697
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment: Wednesday, Thurusday,and Friday 630pm-930pm Saturday 6pm-9pm
A word from Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai
Welcome to the Original Roy's in Hawaii Kai! For the past 25 years, guests have enjoyed Roy Yamaguchi's award winning Hawaiian Inspired Euro Asian Cuisine, globally sourced orignial wines and Roy's Aloha style of service. Roy's chefs utilize the freshest local ingredients, bold Asian spices, European sauces and focus on fresh seafood. A breathtaking view of Maunalua Bay may be enjoyed from the main dining room or private dining room that is available for a special occasion or business gathering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Original Roy's, Hawaii Kai reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)scenic view (91)fit for foodies (70)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (33)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (23)kid-friendly (16)hot spot (15)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Wonderful service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I hadn't been back for a while, but the service was impeccable, the food was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014The service was excellent. We had the asparagus soup and ahi poke. The ahi poke was delicious and the tiny truffle fries piled on top were crunchy and aromatic. The asparagus soup was also delicious, but the cheese flavour was overpowering. The crispy tai snapper was delicious as well, though the bowl of rice was a bit unnecessary. The seafood trio was the most disappointing dish of the evening. The scallops were burnt and sandy, the tomato sauce seemed like an afterthought and was bland, and the pieces of bread tucked into the dish were soggy and inedible. I was also a bit put off to see a high class restaurant like Roy's using wooden chopsticks. The highlight of the evening was definitely the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Original…..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014We have been dining at Roy's restaurant way before this particular one was called the Original Roy's, though it was the first one. Living in Hawaii Kai for 20 years, helps define Roy's as the place to get a drink after work, listen to music on the outside lanai, on the weekends. Or, have an absolutely delicious dinner experience. This time however I felt the food was below par. I never said a word, but the waiter took my dish off the bill, as he noted I simply didn't eat it. He also took the soufflé off the bill because it fell apart when they served it. We again, never said a word. But my husband's steak was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerkatsooDined on 10/14/2014We wanted something we hadn't done and a bit different from our norm. Attention to detail and our specific occasion was magnificent - card on the table, all from original check in to wait and bus staff commented. Food was wonderful and surprisingly ample for price. We chose prix fixe and assumed we might get smaller portions. Each plate was FULL size and beautifully done - whitefish and spare ribs. We enjoyed the wine pairings, all of which were well-matched. With dessert included in the prix fixe, they still brought us a special dessert for our anniversary. Lovely evening. Thanks, Jason, for helping with the details.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Outstanding services. we felt very special and were treated with warm welcome to the restaurant. food was so yummy. We want to come back and try new dishes.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerAllergyDined on 10/10/2014We celebrated a very good friends birthday it was wonderful. She really enjoyed herself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tikitikiDined on 10/9/2014We celebrated our anniversary and had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder what happenedChrisDined on 10/8/2014We've been going to Roy's in Hawaii Kai since it opened. The food used to be fabulous. We went in January 2014 and had a poor experience - cold food, poor quality food, and gluten containing food served to someone with celiac disease. Because of this experience, Roy's gave us a gift card which we used on our latest visit. The poke was quite good. The Vietnamese eggrolls could have come from Costco. The Chinese style fish was served in a puddle of soy sauce - tasted like only soy sauce - very salty. These two experiences make us wonder what happened to what used to be a great restaurant.
- Old Reliable!HawaiianSonDined on 10/5/2014The Original Roy's is a standard bearer for Pacific Rim cuisine in Honolulu. The food is always very good to great. I had the prixe fixe menu with wine pairing. I could pass up the appetizer since the spring roll had too much dough but the ribs and shrimp were delicious. My short rib was very good and it was a huge portion. Had the chocolate souffle with the melting center and boy was it good!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014Roy's air conditioning system was down..for 2 weeks and counting. I felt that someone should have notified us of this so that we could decide if we still wanted to dine there. There were no apologies, no offering of a free ice cold drink, no portable air conditioners. It was quite miserable to pay those types of prices and not be able to enjoy the food. And since it's open kitchen, the heat was almost unbearable. Safe to say, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014Each plate was perfection! The Butterfish melted in our mouths and the Filet Mignon was cooked exactly as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better menu!2improvDined on 9/27/2014I would recommend a better variety of choices on the menu (for everything, from appetizers to entrees). Fish preparations must improve dramatically. For a place like Hawaii where good quality, a variety, and fresh fish is available daily, I expect to taste better fish and seafood entrees. Drinks need improving as well. Service was great! Servers and staff were very attentive, professional, and friendly. Dining room was very noisy, making the ambiance not as expected for a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodSarahDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent... we had a party of 4 and everyone in our party loved their food, including the desserts. The service was also excellent. The only issue we had was that it was a little warm in the restaurant. It seems that the air conditioning was not working in the building, and the portable units that they had were not able to cool the entire area. While it was a little warm, it was not unbearable being that we visited Roy's in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was greatPenguinlover2Dined on 9/24/2014From the staff to the food it was an amazing experience. A great view for sunset also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner but why the wait?jamesdiditDined on 9/22/2014the food, service and ambiance was excellent. my only complaint was the wait to get upstairs to our table even though we made a rez. I assume when you make a rez for 7pm the table will be ready when you arrive at 7pm w/o wait unless there's a line to get to the host(ess) upon your arrival which understandably can happen at times. otherwise, it was a great dinner and I will return.Special Features:
- great food....butsusieQDined on 9/17/2014Our food was amazing as always, service was excellent. We had to ask to change tables because they seated us close to a large group that was extremely loud. We couldn't even hear each other. It was better after we changed tables. One young woman from that group was so loud that you could hear every word she spoke no matter where you were in the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- watermanwatermanDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I came to celebrate my birthday here on 9/16/14. This is the place to celebrate in style. The food, service and ambiance was all first class and they really treat you like a king. The price fix menu is an awesome value and the portions are huge. Want to impress someone special, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time: great food & service!MarinDinerDined on 9/14/2014Always thought it would be touristy, but was very wrong. Warm welcoming staff, a creative menu which honored their best-loved dishes of over 30 years. White tablecloth, a touch old school, this would be great for an inter generational family celebration meal. The prix fixe meal had generous portions, and nice wine choices. The signature Hawaiian martini was a hit. The only criticism? The Mai Tai was a touch too sweet. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hwong808Dined on 9/10/2014nice atmosphere, reasonably priced; good portions, waiter was ok, could be more friendly, overall we enjoyed our celebrationSpecial Features:
- a must stopJandBVIPDined on 9/8/2014We truly enjoyed our experience and food. We will try to get back before our trip ends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not like beforeGardenGirlDined on 9/8/2014been going to this, the original Roy's for at least 20 years. Notable fall-off in quality in the past few years. While still good the main dishes (fish) were rather dry, the sauces that usually are the stand out feature were a bit skimpy and lacking flavor. The noise level is off the charts and so not a relaxing meal at all. probably taking Roy's off my go-to list. Appetizers are always the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationPikaDined on 9/6/2014The seafood combo, miso butterfish entrees were very good and prix fixe menu was a good deal. Salmon entree selection was average, though. Thankfully, the appetizers were ono, especially the rib. Also ordered a salad but was disappointed as the greens were wilted and dressing, meh. Complimentary birthday treats were good and so was the dark chocolate souffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining venueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014Great food and exceptional service. They need to relocate the feral cat that goes between tables in the patio area.Special Features:
- RickDined on 9/5/2014Excellent as always. The Frying Dragon was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Special Occasion DiningMWPSDined on 9/2/2014Roy's always consistent with quality of food and service. It's our go-to restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsTrekkieDined on 9/1/2014The Original Roy's is still the place to go if you want to celebrate a special occasion. The food and service is good here and also with lots of ample free parking. Upon arriving, we had to wait a little, even though we had reservations, but the wait was minimal like less than 10 minutes. It's somewhat noisy here with the open kitchen and all, but tolerable. We will be back to try more of their delicious looking dishes.Special Features:
- An old local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Between the lanai for outside under-the-palm (never mind the traffic), or inside at the bar, or upstairs for more formal dining, Roys delivers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining in Hawaii!ShortyloDined on 8/31/2014Each year, we come from the mainland to celebrate our anniversary @ Roy's. This was our ninth anniversary. The dinners are exquisite with very fresh ingredients. I love their farm to fork tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Food was perfectly executed and served promptly. The portions were very generous and the service was great. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemMeleDined on 8/28/2014The varied menu of exceptional Asian-Pacific cuisine brings us back regularly and the complimentary dessert for special honorees is greatly appreciated and a lovely way to celebrate memorable occasions. The well-trained staff members are especially courteous, communicative, and friendly. What most in our east neighborhood would desire is to have daily lunch or weekend brunch available to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Roy's!yumyumDined on 8/24/2014I loved everything about this place. Everything was delicious from beginning to end, and they have an amazing view of the waterfront.Special Features:
- great dining experienceweekendwarriorDined on 8/22/2014Duck&scallops were a hit, however,the greens were stringy.Portion size surprisingly large especially the prefix menu. Roys did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014My husband and I were visiting Hawaii on business. I picked Roy's Hawaii Kai location because it was away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. And we had a terrific meal. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. From start to finish the meal was very good. I would definitely return and recommend to anyone visiting O'ahu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDined on 8/16/2014My wife looked amazing in the cone-shaped birthday hat, with the curly ribbons.Special Features:
- GrrrrreatDrLoveDined on 8/15/2014Todd never disappoints. Remember to ask for items not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic, to be kindFooMoonDined on 8/14/2014Upstairs dining room is open to the kitchen. Noise level before 8 p.m. is sometimes distracting. Best time to dine is after 8 p.m. when the rush is past and it's a quieter atmosphere. We dined at 6:45p and most of room was filled with a tour group, who sat at all the window tables. Will remember to come later next time. Always ate appetizers instead of a full entree. The entree prices are a little $$$ for the really simple meals listed. The service was very good - attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Roy's is our go to spot for celebrations!! Love!!!Special Features:
- Great, butKonandadDined on 8/7/2014Really enjoyed the food/ambiance, however there were a couple of niggles: 1. amount of fingerlings potatoes with ribeye was meagrely/for decorative purposes - would suggest smaller steak and more of the vegetables. 2. The appetizer of roasted beets, included crumbled goat cheese- expected "crumbles", not a hint of finely grated goats cheese. also fiesta tomato was very sparing more of a sliver. Expected at least 1 whole tomatoSpecial Features:
- dreamdeliteDined on 8/1/2014scallops, crab cakes, shrimp, opah - who could ask for more! Wonderful combination although I wish the cakes were bigger! Chocolate mousse was a bit sweet for me and cookie cup. Beef ribs were generous with lots of leftovers for later.Special Features:
- Beyond Expectations!KawikaDined on 8/1/2014Our last visit to this Roy's was a long time ago, so we did not know what to expect. The Original Roy's did not disappoint - it exceeded expectations. Our party of 4 ordered the special Prix Fixe menu which provided a 3-appetizer sampler plate, entree, and dessert. Two of us also ordered the wine paring with this menu. The appetizer of Szechuan Pork Rib is so ono and tender and literally fell off the bone. My entree of Honey Mustard Grilled Beef Short Rib was very good but my wife's Hibachi Grilled Salmon was even better. The Melting Dark Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla Ice Cream was a dream and paired perfectly with Olivares' Dulce Monastrell. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will be visiting Roy's again!Special Features: