107 King Street East
Toronto, ON M5C 1G6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.origintoronto.com/
- Phone: 4166038009
- Hours of Operation:
Weekday Lunch 11:30am-3pm Brunch (Coming soon..) 11:30am-3pm Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: contact: email@example.com
A word from Origin Restaurant
Welcome to Origin, Chef Claudio Aprile's highly anticipated new restaurant. Origin is located in the historic King East neighbourhood. Origin was born out of Chef Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)great for outdoor dining (74)special occasion (45)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (37)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (33)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Amazing food but atmosphere fairhappycoupleDined on 9/11/2014We went to this restaurant to sample chef Claudio's food so went with high expectations. The food does not disappoint. I had the lobster ceviche, the beet salad, and the seared scallops. All of these would impress even the most discerning. The service was excellent, knowledgable and attentive. We were a bit surprised at was the atmosphere. The tables were very close together so it would not be a good choice for romance. There are limited tables of two and couples are often seated at the chef' stable. Also it was not as fancy as I would have expected given the high quality of the food. The food definitely outdoes the restaurant, but that being said, I would go again if I am in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!woodsrupVIPDined on 9/9/2014Probably one of the best restaurants that I have been to improve Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Food is always good but they did not have our reservation even though we booked on open table. They were somewhat rude bout finding us a table without our reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was unnaturally slowSakkaDined on 8/31/2014Been here a few times. Worst service this time. It was slow and the whole meal for 4 people took over 2 and half hours to finish. And generally the staff appeared inattentive tonight. Food was great. The curried shrimp and the desserts were amazing :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!FifineDined on 8/29/2014I often come for brunch at Origin but this is my first time having dinner on the patio of Origin. I loved it!!! Great surrounding, great food, very attentive waiters. I am happy Origin is in my neighbourhood!!!Special Features:
- Business LuncdOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Had a great lunch there with clients and they loved it. Loved the décor and the interesting menu. We will all be coming back.Special Features:
- Great lunch at OriginOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Nice patio. Service was top-notch. Food is fantastic but save room for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014The food was terrific. Same name as Origin north but there's no comparison. Try the grilled corn if it's available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and tastyCeloPDined on 8/8/2014Origin is a lovely restaurant with outdoor space to enjoy dining in fine weather. It's not your typical restaurant offering the usual dishes most would be familiar with. Everything you order is a surprise both in presentation and taste. During our recent short trip to Toronto we visited Origin twice; once for dinner and once for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babswashere1962Dined on 8/6/2014We were on the patio and it was lovely. Plenty of space between tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceJustPabloDined on 8/6/2014Adrienne was superb. She's a natural and very efficient waitress. Location was great. I will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, outstandining serviceevakDined on 8/5/2014We had great time in this restaurant. The staff was very attentive and accommodating to our group which was half vegetarian and half meat eaters. The only downside are the prices which are on the high side. the bill for our group of 5 with one bottle of wine was $400.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodDine2dayDined on 8/5/2014Origin must be far enough from the downtown core to remain almost empty at lunch when rain is anticipated. The food was fantastic, including new items like the olives stuffed with cheese and fried, and the amount of duck in the duck tortillas was generous! On a day when the weather is not patio weather, the size of the empty space is a bit intimidating if you prefer a more lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- lively urban spot for foodiesChefsMomDined on 8/2/2014Our chef son introduced us to this restaurant. We enjoyed a pre-theatre dinner here and a walk over to the theatre district. We enjoyed the distinctive dishes and the original and very tasty cocktails (Hemingway and First Flight). The décor is very distinctive (as your server to explain the significance of various original items).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant I've ever been toFaithEileenDined on 7/28/2014Origin was by far the best restaurant I have ever been to. I loved being able to see the chef's at work and I thoroughly enjoyed every dish I ordered. Great ambience, food, and service. Will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunchACMWDined on 7/23/2014My second time in 5 days - with a different guest. That would say it all....i.e. Love the food --tapas style -- great to share and experience more than one plate. Friendly servers and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ACMWDined on 7/18/2014Had a delightful lunch with my guest -- loved the tapa menu -- we shared each dish and all were very good and fresh -- and perfect for a light light on the patio which we enjoyed on a beautiful sunny day. Highly recommend it. Service was also very good -- Servers were very attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodDisappointedDined on 7/11/2014There were three of us and Origin's style fits sharing. It was the first time my friends dined there and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and FabulousDougVIPDined on 7/11/2014For our last nite in Toronto, we were treated to a unique gastronomical event. We had read about this restaurant and were quite excited. We were not disappointed. The variety and uniqueness on the menu was only outdone by the complexity and multi-level flavors in the food. From the tuna salad, to the crispy fries, to the mozzarella and eggplant, and finally the chinois duck, every dish was incredible. This is a MUST GO TO restaurant. When we come back to Toronto, we will be back!!!Special Features:
- Girls NightalifoodieDined on 7/2/2014My friend & I met at 6:30 pm and stayed until 10:30 pm without any hassle - we chatted long after the bill was paid and they kept refilling our wine glasses. Food was great. Surprised there were only 2 scallops for $22 but otherwise good value. Interesting food pairings. Fun to share. Helpful service.Special Features:
- Nice lunch spot in downtown coreJackhackDined on 6/26/2014Had a nice quick lunch here mid-week. They have some interesting tapas options if you are looking to try a few different things, although portion sizes can be a little generous for lunch. Had the fish tacos, they were solid. Good service, food appeared quickly (early lunch though so it wasnt busy yet) and appears to be a nice little patio to boot. Would def recommend for lunch, suitable for casual or business.Special Features:
- very long wait - good food thoughsaudia558VIPDined on 6/21/2014our server promptly took our drink order and brought us our bottle of wine...and then we didn't see him for nearly an hour. Other tables got up and left. when our food finally did come, was good (not worth an hour and half wait). the patio was busy so i may try again on a quieter night. maybe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner as alwaysLostintoDined on 6/20/2014Food excellent, service was excellent. Our waiter James was very attentive and helpful. We were there for a birthday and everything was great. fortunately bc it's east of Yonge we were able to get a table as all the restaurants west of Yonge were booked. Have been there many times and it doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnersniderbdDined on 6/20/2014I had a great dinner here. There were so many excellent dishes to choose from. We ordered 5 different items and each one was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible servicebernsDined on 6/19/2014Terrible service. Not once did the waitress check up on us before, during, and after the meal. People seated after us were served before us.
- Origin Toronto - ExperienceDRdiningDined on 6/19/2014I enjoyed the experience at Origin, food was outstanding, service was great. I would not hesitate to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the fav restaurantskkkkDined on 6/15/2014This is absolutely one of the favorite restaurants. Food is innovative and tastes are unique.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceMikaDined on 6/15/2014As a major fan of Colborne Lane and the work of Claudio Aprile, I'm glad he continues some of his molecular gastronomy flair in this more casual restaurant setting. The food is excellent, including Mexican offerings and a delicious burger. Their meringue dessert is my current favorite dessert in the city. Decor and location are great. Unfortunately, service is very slow. For a restaurant that calls patrons to remind them of their seating time limit of 90 minutes, they should probably work harder on their end to provide timely service instead of putting the onus on the customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not quite up to parHappy2TryDined on 6/13/2014Origin is wonderful, there is an energy about the place that belies the ancient laundry building & dark interior. We have been a few times but this visit was the first time that we have felt rushed. We had several wait staff that didn't make eye contact, plates of food were served hurriedly and with only a garbled description and this was a shame... for us the whole point of tasting is not to rush, is to enjoy finding out what is on the plate. We had to ask for a copy of the menu to re-read the descriptions! The food was fabulous. Mostly we have been fortunate to have a table on the lounge side, we were happy to try the kitchen side and it was fun watching the kitchen. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Grad LunchAllanabeanDined on 6/12/2014Overall our lunch at Origins was a great experience. The food was delicious and unique. The timing was on par, and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolliDined on 6/10/2014Service was terribly slow although our server was very nice. Friendly staff but they really need to pick up the pace. Ceviche and tuna salad were good. Oysters and mozzarella bar item were not. Fantastic patio for summer drinks. Probably wouldn't eat here again- would definitely recommend the patio.Special Features:
- Favourite Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014I work uptown and my wife works downtown. When we meet for lunch downtown, we like to go somewhere special, where the menu isn't the same as the menus everywhere else. Origin fits the bill to a T! I always look forward to going there and I'm never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous tasties!yvrgirlVIPDined on 6/7/2014Superb for couples, groups, foodies, anyone wanting to surprise their mouth with amazing flavours. A bigger allows for more dishes to be tried. Highly recommend! Must try the mozzarella with pine nuts and honey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FOODnoneDined on 6/1/2014my favorite place for brunch. love the fried rice, and the authentic soft pretzelSpecial Features:
- Waitress refused to split billsjm82Dined on 6/1/2014I was there for brunch with 2 couples and a friend. We asked the waitress to split the bill by couple and she said it was impossible to do. I find that hard to believe in 2014. She said the computer is incapable for separating the bill. I think this is absurd. It really killed our dining experience as one person had to pay and we all had to calculate each couple's totals and pay the friend back money. For a fine dining restaurant I think they should have this ability as I am sure many customers would also ask the same. My friends were visiting from out of town and were appalled by this as they've never experienced this in all their travels throughout the world. I thought this was a "world class" restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I have been to this Origin location twice and received great service. On Saturday I brought out someone visiting from Australia, it was out last night in Toronto together and I was embarrassed with the service. When we asked to move inside from the patio because it was chilly they never checked on us again. We didn't get to order wine with our dinner and no one checked on us when we got out food. I'm shocked at the service we received. Origin is no longer my favourite restaurant and I will not recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- Brunch- not as i expectedilovefood0311Dined on 5/31/2014Service was okay but wouldn't say it was an excellent service. My friend ordered the eggs benedict but i had to send it back since the poached egg was overcooked. My steak and eggs -- fries was a bit overcooked too - saving grace is at least i like crunchy fries. Overall, i wasn't that impressed with the food and service. Based on the reviews i read, i was expecting something better than what i experienced. Its ok but i had better food and service elsewhere. Would I recommend it? They can always try and see it for themselves. They might have a better experience than me.
- Dining expereince was alrightOmYomYomDined on 5/30/2014This is our second time coming to Origin and I have to say, the experience this time around was not as good as last. We waited for a long time before someone came by to serve us. The appetizers took awhile to comes as well even though the restaurant at the point (Friday, around 6pm) was not that busy. The main dishes we had were quite salty - lobster and mussel spaghetti and the cornish hen. The appetizers were fine - devilled eggs, scallop ceviche and the tuna hand roll -- again, more on the salty side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014Great food and service! I took my parents to Origin while they were visiting Toronto and we were able to find delicious food on the menu for all of us (we have varying levels of comfort in adventuring with food). Must-have dishes include the Bufala mozzarella with pear and the beef tenderloin. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Really great food... friendly but inattentive service... nice scene outdoors... music too loud inside for a comfortable conversationI would recommend this to a friend.