107 King Street East
Toronto, ON M5C 1G6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.origintoronto.com/
- Phone: 4166038009
- Hours of Operation:
Weekday Lunch 11:30am-3pm Brunch (Coming soon..) 11:30am-3pm Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Special Events: contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Origin Restaurant
Welcome to Origin, Chef Claudio Aprile's highly anticipated new restaurant. Origin is located in the historic King East neighbourhood. Origin was born out of Chef Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)great for outdoor dining (37)good for groups (35)special occasion (32)hot spot (32)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (22)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food...except the oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014Love Origin and continue to go back for their excellent food and ambiance. I have to say that I have ordered oysters there 3 times and they have not been up to standard. At least 4 of the dozen have had an "off" taste and I'm super disappointed to say that because they arrive with such nice presentation.Special Features:
- Vegetarian options a plentyNomaVIPDined on 10/25/2014There were 6 of us, one gluten free, 2 vegetarians, and one picky meat eater and we all had plenty to eat. The menu is great, the food was fantastic, and the vegetarian dishes were so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ignore the HypeRoxyRDined on 10/25/2014I have heard about Origin for what seems like forever, so I expected some memorable or at least discuss-able to friends the next day. Origin was entirely forgettable - except for the terrible, rude service. The octopus was soggy. The deviled eggs were bland. The duck was nothing to write a review about. Our waitress ignored us the entire meal - we ended up ordering all our drinks and dishes from the hostess - until it was time to pay. Origin has seen its heyday come and go. There are no lack of expensive restaurants in Toronto where a couple can pay $200 for a meal. You can be sure that I won't be going back to Origin to put down that cash.
- BrunchTOdinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Maybe it's just me, but although I love Origin for dinner I find their brunch a little 'underwhelming'. I've been a couple of times and neither really wowed me as dinner has in the past. My last dinner there was not quite up to past dinners either, so maybe it's a staffing thing. I'd still recommend it, especially since other friends have been recently and still raved about it. But it's not going to be high on the brunch list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for birthdayskrissDined on 10/16/2014After booking a table via the website with a special request for my partner's birthday, they obviously did not read their own the special request box on the form they designed. Very disappointing when you want to make a nice surprise without having to remind discreetly the waiter...food was good thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/12/2014I didn't know that they had a bruch menu on the weekends, so expected the same amazing seafood thst I had during lunch time on the weekday. Overall, great presentation, immaculate service and a very rustic cozy atmosphere. Will definately recommend it to even the most picky foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedgourmandDined on 10/10/2014I was referred to this restaurant but it was a big disappointment. We ordered appetizers and the only one that was spectacular was the fleur de latte mozzarella. Nothing special in the Spanish fries. Portions were small. Dessert was bad. I ordered apple crumble, i.e.baked caramelized apples with granola (?!?!?!) and soft serve ice cream. I could have done that myself and save the $$$. Prices of the food were not bad but the prices of cocktails ridiculously expensive and small.Special Features:
- yvetteDined on 10/9/2014Food is quite tasty but it is expensve and very noisy. The service was excellentSpecial Features:
- Dinner forMrAndMrsMDined on 10/7/2014My husband and I made a reservation for my birthday dinner. As first time visitors to Origin, we were definitely impressed with the menu. It had just the right amount of options to please anyone's pallet. Small plate dining so you really do need 2-3 dishes per person - and why wouldn't you want to sample as much as you can! I found our server to be a bit dry. He was pleasant but didn't have an extremely approachable demeanor about him. A woman, who seemed to be a floor manager perhaps, was a very rushed person thereby making us feel rushed to finish our transaction and leave. The hostess was super nice though and made us feel welcome from the start. Overall, the food was great and we'll go back because there are many other items to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refined BrunchSammersDined on 10/5/2014All the food and drinks were great. Service could have been better though. It seemed like the staff (including the hostess, servers, and manager) were a bit frazzled. A few things got forgotten (cream for coffee, extra napkin, more water, etc.), but they were not game changers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I remember for the $stoffergDined on 10/3/2014I remember going to Origin a few years ago and my memory of that experience was much better. The food is still very good but the prices seem out of line with the portion sizes. The $34 sizzling beef plate was overcooked. Oysters were delicious. Service was slow but friendly. I would try somewhere else next time.Special Features:
- Nailed it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Lunch at Origin was awesome - friendly staff, great table on the patio and delicious food...what more can a hungry/fancy/fun girl ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OriginLuv2EatDined on 9/21/2014Great food, very vibrant restaurant perfect for the you foody or anyone looking to branch out. All around great atmosphere and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Booked last minute, before a play. It was perfect. Great menu options. Quality, service, ambience all outstanding.Special Features:
- NeratziDined on 9/16/2014Engaging and surprising menu, smooth service, definitely a place to return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceOriginsDined on 9/15/2014I have had the pleasure of several visits to Origins and each and every time I have enjoyed my fabulous dishes. Each are unique and presented as artistic works. The staff are pleasant and knowledgeable on their wine offerings. At my last visit, I had the oysters, the Cornish hen adobo + plantain + mole, Bufala mozzarella + pear + rosemary oil + pinenuts + honey, and for dessert we had Glazed banana + hazelnut crunch + Bavarian cream + chocolate sorbet. Each dish offers flavors that are often surprising to the palette and yet delicious. A truly enjoyable place and I highly recommend at least one visit for the experience. Kudos to Claudio Aprile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazing!LindaDined on 9/14/2014Highly recommend you try this restaurant! Great atmosphere, amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014I went for a birthday brunch. We thought the overall service was slow. We had one female server who seemed annoyed everytime someone asked for something. On the other hand one waiter was amazing at taking our drink order (for a group of 12)! The food was delicious! We did a pre-fixed menu and it was well worth it!! I would definitely recommend this for brunch!!Special Features:
- Great brunchGregAndJonasDined on 9/14/2014I had a great meal here with 5 friends. The food was so good and everyone cleaned their plates. Service was also great and the staff seemed well trained as well as polite, knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Customer CareMsBizWizDined on 9/14/2014Always the right degree of attention makes our dining experience wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch venue.LilyFDined on 9/13/2014This is a fantastic place for brunch. The French toast with duck confit is the work of an evil genius. Really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food but atmosphere fairhappycoupleDined on 9/11/2014We went to this restaurant to sample chef Claudio's food so went with high expectations. The food does not disappoint. I had the lobster ceviche, the beet salad, and the seared scallops. All of these would impress even the most discerning. The service was excellent, knowledgable and attentive. We were a bit surprised at was the atmosphere. The tables were very close together so it would not be a good choice for romance. There are limited tables of two and couples are often seated at the chef' stable. Also it was not as fancy as I would have expected given the high quality of the food. The food definitely outdoes the restaurant, but that being said, I would go again if I am in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!woodsrupVIPDined on 9/9/2014Probably one of the best restaurants that I have been to improve Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Food is always good but they did not have our reservation even though we booked on open table. They were somewhat rude bout finding us a table without our reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was unnaturally slowSakkaDined on 8/31/2014Been here a few times. Worst service this time. It was slow and the whole meal for 4 people took over 2 and half hours to finish. And generally the staff appeared inattentive tonight. Food was great. The curried shrimp and the desserts were amazing :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience!FifineDined on 8/29/2014I often come for brunch at Origin but this is my first time having dinner on the patio of Origin. I loved it!!! Great surrounding, great food, very attentive waiters. I am happy Origin is in my neighbourhood!!!Special Features:
- Business LuncdOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Had a great lunch there with clients and they loved it. Loved the décor and the interesting menu. We will all be coming back.Special Features:
- Great lunch at OriginOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Nice patio. Service was top-notch. Food is fantastic but save room for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014The food was terrific. Same name as Origin north but there's no comparison. Try the grilled corn if it's available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and tastyCeloPDined on 8/8/2014Origin is a lovely restaurant with outdoor space to enjoy dining in fine weather. It's not your typical restaurant offering the usual dishes most would be familiar with. Everything you order is a surprise both in presentation and taste. During our recent short trip to Toronto we visited Origin twice; once for dinner and once for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Babswashere1962Dined on 8/6/2014We were on the patio and it was lovely. Plenty of space between tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceJustPabloDined on 8/6/2014Adrienne was superb. She's a natural and very efficient waitress. Location was great. I will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, outstandining serviceevakDined on 8/5/2014We had great time in this restaurant. The staff was very attentive and accommodating to our group which was half vegetarian and half meat eaters. The only downside are the prices which are on the high side. the bill for our group of 5 with one bottle of wine was $400.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great foodDine2dayDined on 8/5/2014Origin must be far enough from the downtown core to remain almost empty at lunch when rain is anticipated. The food was fantastic, including new items like the olives stuffed with cheese and fried, and the amount of duck in the duck tortillas was generous! On a day when the weather is not patio weather, the size of the empty space is a bit intimidating if you prefer a more lively atmosphere.Special Features:
- lively urban spot for foodiesChefsMomDined on 8/2/2014Our chef son introduced us to this restaurant. We enjoyed a pre-theatre dinner here and a walk over to the theatre district. We enjoyed the distinctive dishes and the original and very tasty cocktails (Hemingway and First Flight). The décor is very distinctive (as your server to explain the significance of various original items).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant I've ever been toFaithEileenDined on 7/28/2014Origin was by far the best restaurant I have ever been to. I loved being able to see the chef's at work and I thoroughly enjoyed every dish I ordered. Great ambience, food, and service. Will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunchACMWVIPDined on 7/23/2014My second time in 5 days - with a different guest. That would say it all....i.e. Love the food --tapas style -- great to share and experience more than one plate. Friendly servers and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ACMWVIPDined on 7/18/2014Had a delightful lunch with my guest -- loved the tapa menu -- we shared each dish and all were very good and fresh -- and perfect for a light light on the patio which we enjoyed on a beautiful sunny day. Highly recommend it. Service was also very good -- Servers were very attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodDisappointedDined on 7/11/2014There were three of us and Origin's style fits sharing. It was the first time my friends dined there and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and FabulousDougVIPDined on 7/11/2014For our last nite in Toronto, we were treated to a unique gastronomical event. We had read about this restaurant and were quite excited. We were not disappointed. The variety and uniqueness on the menu was only outdone by the complexity and multi-level flavors in the food. From the tuna salad, to the crispy fries, to the mozzarella and eggplant, and finally the chinois duck, every dish was incredible. This is a MUST GO TO restaurant. When we come back to Toronto, we will be back!!!Special Features:
- The following 697 reviews are from the Origin Restaurant reviews archive.