2901 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M2K 1E6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://originnorth.com/
- Phone: 4164798833x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner nightly from 4pm to close;
Lunch Monday through Friday from 11.30am to 4pm;
Saturday 11am to 4pm
Sunday 10am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact our events department for all special event and catering inquiries.
A word from Origin North
Origin was born out of Chef Claudio Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season. Our large, naturally-lit space is great for all occasions that demand fresh, creative food, and first-rate service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin North reviews from OpenTable diners
306 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)good for groups (111)special occasion (88)great for lunch (73)great for outdoor dining (72)neighborhood gem (70)great for brunch (57)hot spot (39)romantic (37)kid-friendly (33)vibrant bar scene (24)notable wine list (16)late-night find (13)scenic view (5)Show More
- Origins somewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Asian fusion meets milestones/moxies/spring rolls/tex mex. too expensive Service was good however we arrived as dinner service began Food flavor combinations was vgood. Noise level was fine at 6 ish. Certain would be unbearable at later times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodAlexDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Origin downtown so being able to check out Claudio's new restaurant was high on my expectations. The food was absolutely delicious (as always,) the waitress was friendly, food came out quickly, I don't think there was anything bad I could say about this place. Really good for a first date if you want to impress. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemThrilledDinerDined on 9/13/2014The combination of flavours and foods was phenomenal. One of the best meals I have ever had. We were knocked out. the tunal salad, lobster ceviche, beet salad, brussels sprouts, spanish fries and nitro ice cream. I thought the fig crostini was pricey at $15 for only 3 pieces and the bread was very ordinary but my companion loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needed more privacyogong77Dined on 9/8/2014My meeting was pretty tens with lot of stuff that I had to go through and the staff's checking every 10 min, took away my dish immediately was annoying enough and didn't feel welcoming or get proper cares.Special Features:
- Manager?amilitaryspouseDined on 9/5/2014We tried Origins North because it seemed like a great neighbourhood location that looked inviting and upscale. When calling to change my reservation time, the female host was a bit rude and abrupt and not very accommodating. It was busy but no waiting line. We got out table, wedged tightly in between two other tables of two, and it wobbled. We asked to move. We did, but with some reluctance and delay. Our meals, which were pretty, but average tasting, took over 45 minutes to arrive. A few times I noticed there was no one at the hostess stand. We then realized that the problem was lack of management. We did not see anyone that resembled a manager in the restaurant. Overall it was disappointing.Special Features:
- FoodprofDined on 9/5/2014The food was mostly very good. Great steaks, black cod, calamari, crushed potatoes. Only food complaint was burnt samosas. The service however was atrocious. We four waited 90 minutes for our main course, and when it arrived it came piece meal. Two steaks were delivered, but no vegetables. The other two meals came approx 7 minutes later, and the vegetables some five minutes after that. One person requested that the steak be butterflied and well done. It arrived intact, and medium. She sent it back, and it returned still not butterflied still not well done. Had to send it back a third time then eat alone. Casual apologies but no attempt to make reparations.Special Features:
- Good diningLuv2dineDined on 9/4/2014A great place to meet friends or family, something for everyone. Inside it can be noisy, but still enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are not hungry...organicfoodieDined on 9/3/2014The food portions were too small for the price and not as tastey as we had expected. Also, we had to wait very long for each course to arrive even though the restaurant was not busy at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Experience was great. They lack a great dessert menu. Expand your dessert options with more conventional desserts. And also increase the portions of the food - particularly the main entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT service/great foodPaulWDined on 8/31/2014Yvette, our server, made our dinner simply wonderful! The food was great and the service was imoeccable. What more could one want for a dining experience?Special Features:
- Terrible serviceDbo12Dined on 8/31/2014We were so incredibly disappointed with origin north. The food was below average, especially for the price...which is clearly for the overhead they must pay for such an esthetically pleasing environment. The service was the worst part. We were never asked for a refill on our beers when we finished them...we sat with empty glasses for almost 10 minutes in the scortching sun on the patio and then finally had to seek out our own drinks. We asked for dessert menus and they also took at least 5 minutes to get to us. The customer service was not good quality by any means and they did not seem interested in making any sort of decent tip because thy weren't working for the money, that's for sure!Special Features:
- No MasterChef Quality Here.MichelinFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Tonight was not the night for Origin North. Service was fine but the food quality was really poor. The Rigatoni we ordered was not al dente and bland - my 6 year old kept saying that the only thing she tasted was the hazel nuts. The signature beet salad lacked the greens it normally has and the pistachios were replaced by walnut which did not work. But, the absolute worst of the evening was the Beef Tenderloin. It was horrific. We ordered it medium rare and this thing was charred black and it was well done. A complete waste of a good piece of beef. And the funny thing is we could see the guy firing it on the grill and could see the flames. The Chef de cuisine left the pass and this plate should never have left the kitchen.
- Great time, only 1 observation...MikeDined on 8/28/2014Went to origin North for wife's birthday and we had a great time with friends and family. Food was really good and service was friendly. I would definitely return in the future. Only observation is that our waiter had long hair, which he was constantly grabbing/fixing with bear hands and later serving our food. Definite no no in my opinion. I don't care if the waiter wants to let his hair grow but he should do something so that he doesn't have to fix it while serving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ImpressionDianaKrallDined on 8/26/2014Looks like a nice place to be, it definitely seats a lot of people but unfortunately it looks likes 3 cooks on the line seems not enough to take on a half filled restaurant/bar. There was an extremely long wait for food & came separately with the final item coming in 1 hour of ordering. 40min wait for a simple medium rare burger with avocado, arugula & mayo plus side of deep fried Brussels sprouts that were fried too much almost burnt. Plus we found French fry bits in the Brussels sprouts from the fryer. 50min for sautéed mushrooms & 1 hour for two fish tacos. A bit pricey as sides cost extra & 16 dollars for a 40min medium rare burger on a plate. Other than that service was attentive & flavour wise was mediocre definitely not 'wow'
- somewhat disappointedmikeyDined on 8/23/2014Having dined at their King St location, I was expecting the same quality. We asked dishes to be served as they're ready instead of appetizers first. First 2 dishes came out quite quickly. Fish tacos were good, but the tortilla was slightly burnt. Crispy calamari was soggy although the flavour was good. After these 2 dishes, we waited 25 minutes until the next dish came out. Our waitress apologized for the wait. Spanish fries was next and it was barely warm; sent back to kitchen and it came out again in 5 minutes and it was fresh and hot. The caramelized brussel sprouts and the origin burger were good as I expected them to be. They gave us churros on the house but it was undercooked, dough was still mushy inside.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingDinerDined on 8/21/2014There were four in our party, two of whom ordered the burger and were happy. Tuna and samosa appetizers were also OK. My main dish was the hoisin duck wraps and that was horrible. The duck was so overdone that the texture bordered on duck jerky. It was dry and very, very tough. The other main dish was the strip loin steak, which was extremely salty. The cut was OK, but not great and the "peppercorn sauce" contained zero peppercorns and seemed to be mostly oil. So after pouring the "sauce" over the steak, it became very greasy. I was very disappointed with the quality of the food this time around. Previous visits were fine. Not sure if it was a different chef, but this inconsistency will make me hesitant to return.
- Origin NorthOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful restaurant. Annoying booking policy when lots of space in restaurant. Menu is a little challenging to find something to order.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieinandoutDined on 8/20/2014Took my collegue here for lunch to celebrate his departure at noon and we were one of two tables there. Ordered our food and wine.got our wine and appetizer in normal amount of time...and then we waited. After an 1 1/2 with no other food in sight and watching tables that came in long after us get their food, I called over our waitress who was avoiding us. She said she would check on food. 1st excuse was they changed their menu and it's taking longer than normal. Time passed...more excuses and finally asked for manager since it was 2 hours and no sign of our lunch. The waitress just kept making excuses. Manager finally brought food and said it would be comped...but thought more should have been done. Would bit recommend this location!Special Features:
- Great place, not so great foodCocoaConnoisseurDined on 8/19/2014I was extremely excited to try this place as the reviews were amazing and I had heard some really good things. Everything was going great even as we ordered our apps - the brussel sprouts and fries. Loved those! However the rigatoni I ordered was less than appetizing. It looked great! however it lacked flavour. My friends got the Portobello burger and the fish tacos. Apart from the expectation that the burger should have been a bit bigger, it seemed to satisfy them. The tacos were average. The service was great, however the food was less than par. Simply because of this, I would come back just to try something else on the menu, but my experience this time was not satisfactory.Special Features:
- Brunch at Origin NorthFrankDined on 8/17/2014I took my wife to Origin North for brunch on her birthday, based on rave reviews I read online. I must say that it was undoubtedly the best brunch/breakfast I have ever had by far. Origin North elevates the dishes it serves for brunch to artforms almost, in the sense that when you taste the dishes you definitely get that that transcendent "They nailed it" feeling. I have simply never before tasted dishes at brunch/breakfast which had this effect on me. My wife and I agreed that we will have to come back for dinner at Origin North to see if the dinner menu is as amazing. The flavouring might be too adult for kids in general though. My nine year old was unimpressed by her french toast which I tried and considered quite amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redeemed itself after last timeJoolsDined on 8/16/2014After a terrible Summerlicious experience Origin redeemed itself last week when we went there with friends. Food was great, service ok, very slow, but we didn't mind as we were having a good time talking and enjoyed the leisurely pace of the meal. We've eaten here several times and the Summerlicious experience was the only bad one. I do take issue with their seating policy. Having tried unsuccessfully for every meal here to book a table for 6 people for 7.30, even when I booked 8 weeks in advance, I have discovered that they will not book for more than four people between 7pm and 8pm. This is ridiculous, especially when the restaurant is almost empty, as it has been on previous visits. Please review this policy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overwhelming loud musicCosmopolitanDinerDined on 8/16/2014The sound level of the music was so high that we were unable to hold a conversation at brunch, which is totally unacceptable. Our repeated requests to have the volume of the music turned down to a more reasonable level were met with a response from the manager via the server that they were unwilling to lower the volume of the music because of a private party on the other side of the restaurant. The hard surfaces of the decor contributed to the amplification of the sound. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for a pleasant brunch time ambiance. We value the opportunity to combine good food with the opportunity to have a pleasant conversation.
- GailGailDined on 8/13/2014Lovely space and ample parking. Good food but not as great as in downtown Toronto location. Excellent devilled eggs, crostini, black cod, although the bed of veg for cod was disappointing. Still, a great option north of the 401!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect patio lunchCanadianTravellerDined on 8/11/2014We had a lovely lunch this week - tried the kale salad, beet salad and tune app and they we're all terrific. Also had the curry shrimp, which was way more flavorful than spicy. We sat on the patio, which was appropriately sunny and shaded and the staff were all very attentive. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- not what I expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I love eating out because food is very important to me. I went to this restaurant to celebrate my child's 13 birthday and when we arrived the hostess was extremely careless and she didn't greet us with a smile. if felt like I was going to her house without and invitation. once we sat down, another lady came. she was a little better but when I asked her about the menu she basically asked me to view the menu. I was expecting a little more description from her since this is restaurant featured at master chef. the presentation was poor only de dulce de leche was worth the price we paid for. overall they should improve on the customer service and also the presentation of the food.Special Features:
- FoodieKatzeDined on 8/10/2014Origin has a unique menu and is a relaxing place for brunch. The host was clueless, but our waiter was attentive. Food quality has gone down since it opened and at those prices with unique dishes and ingredients you expect higher standards. It was still an enjoyable meal but I hope they focus on returning to the exceptional quality they once had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGroupof6Dined on 8/10/2014Despite the restaurant bring quite empty, service was terrible. Although our drink order was taken quickly, drinks arrived 20-30 minutes later. Delay in taking food order and 45 minutes elapsed before being served. Had to speak to hostess several times. Open kitchen meant burning food could be smelled throughout the restaurant. Limited Brunch menu only and not all items were available. Food itself was good and may give it another try. We were there for 3 hours for entree and dessert/coffee.Special Features:
- Delicious food and great service!Mom2TyDined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful evening at Origin North. This was our first time here and we were not disappointed. There were 6 of us and we got a variety of dishes, all were delicious. The beet salad was the best beet salad I ever had. The devilled eggs, watermelon salad and masa chips were great. Favourites for dinner were the miso cod (only complaint was that it was too small), the papardelle and the duck. The tapioca and coconut dessert was scrumptious. We would definitely go back and we are looking forward to it. I had read some negative reviews and I am truly shocked as we had a fabulous experience and great and attentive service. I asked our waitress her name and it is Yvette. She was great. Can't wait to have the beet salad again.Special Features:
- BrunchdineinthehoodDined on 8/2/2014My first time there was for brunch. We sat outside so we could take advantage of the nice weather. The service was impeccable. Our waitress was tending to us almost immediately and continued to do so. Now, it wasn't extremely busy but we were made a priority. We both ordered the tostada and it was not only beautifully presented, but satisfyingly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is Hit and MissVictoriaHDined on 8/1/2014The "Hits" - origin burger w/fries (milkshake is ok) - beef tenderloin - beef ribeye - wok fried calamari - beet salad - Bangkok beef salad - Buffalo pear bruschetta - nitro ice cream - second rush The "Misses" - Buff tomato or Buff truffle bruschetta - spanish fries (soggy mess) - edamame (over priced for what it is) - truffled popcorn - chinois duck (just get Peking duck at a good Asian restaurant.. Origins version is really bad, sorry, wanted to love it but couldn't) - dulce de leche - thai curried shrimp (just like any old hot curry dish) Service is usually either really good, or sometimes a bit stiff unfortunately. Atmosphere is very good. I'll still come back, but will choose wifely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Origin northWwongDined on 7/28/2014Expensive for a Tappas Resto. Not enough food selection.Special Features:
- Tasty lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Nice selection of well priced lunch items. Service was great, attentive but not intrusive. Great place to meet up with friends for lunchSpecial Features:
- Salty disappointmentPatioGoerDined on 7/26/2014Almost every dish ordered was covered in salt! The cod was so salty we had to send it back, but they were good about adjusting the bill to remove the salty cod. While the ambience is very nice, we will not go back.
- Felt ignored. Will not come backamandaCVIPDined on 7/23/2014Perplexed by the lack of service at Origin North. Our waitress was very attentive at first but then we did not see her for the rest of the meal. Our hostess was the one who refilled our water, and after waiting an hour between our appetizers and mains, we complained to the manager. They provided us with a free dessert, however, at that point we just wanted to get ome. The only thing that bugged me was that after our first encounter with her, we did not see our waitress appear or our service improved. Overall, our meal took 4 hours, and we left feeling tired and frustrated on a weeknight. Claudio - you need to run your kitchens tighter!
- Small PortionsTOvisitorDined on 7/21/2014All portions are appetizer size and way too small for a meal, especially for the price. Flavours are good but we left disappointed and still hungry. Service is slow and erratic. Many of the beers on the menu were unavailable.
- Food was great, service was poorSL333Dined on 7/20/2014Decided to try out Origin North beacuse I like their summerious set dinner menu. After I was seated I realized their Summerlious menu was changed without notice. - Steak Frites was downgraded to just a Burger. Cinnamon Sticky Bun with caramelized walnuts + crème fraiche ice cream was downgraded to strawberry and cream. I would appreciate if they inform me of the menu change when they confirm my reservation. They bait and switch! The waitress who served us doesn't seems like she want to be there working. She gave us a very cold and robot like service. I still gave her good tips, but I dont think she deserved it. Food tasted good, but their service gave me a really bad impression.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014We were not impressed with Origin ... The food was overpriced for the portions that was given ... The only reason we went to Origin was to try the Summerlicious lunch menu which was not offered on Sunday only the brunch menu ...Special Features:
- Smallest dish ever! Long wait timeSunaoDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I had summerlicious dinner here. The portions were quite small! For main course, I expected the caramelized eggplant to be filling but the dish only had two skinny, tiny halves of eggplants with a few small pieces of ginger slices. My boyfriend had the chicken breast and he claimed the portion was like an appetizer. We waited for half an hour between the appetizer and main course, which was too long. The only thing we enjoyed about the meal was the dessert, which was the passion fruit parfait. I don't think I'll dine here again :(Special Features:
- So disappointed...Luv2DineOutDined on 7/19/2014Booked Origin North to celebrate our 11th Wedding Anniversary. Booked prior to Summerlicious, but found out that we would only be able to get the Summerlicious menu. Checked out the published menu & still decided to go. When we got there, the menu had been changed to the point where there was nothing that either of us wanted. We were then told that we could order from the regular menu...big mistake. Our meal took a very long time to come... our fault for not ordering from the "conveyor belt" meals that were being pumped out. But we thought, the food should be worth the wait. Not even close... the beef tenderloin was so salty and peppery that we had to wash it down with water. My veggies were salty and sour. Will not be going back.Special Features:
- First timeLibbyKDined on 7/19/2014I went for the first time for summerlicious. The food, price and portion size was just right. I would and will go back to experience the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.