2901 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M2K 1E6Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://originnorth.com/
- Phone: (416) 479-8833
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner nightly from 4pm to close;
Lunch Monday through Friday from 11.30am to 4pm;
Saturday 11am to 4pm
Sunday 10am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact our events department for all special event and catering inquiries.
A word from Origin North
Origin was born out of Chef Claudio Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season. Our large, naturally-lit space is great for all occasions that demand fresh, creative food, and first-rate service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin North reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)good for groups (54)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (39)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (30)romantic (26)hot spot (25)great for outdoor dining (22)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- DisappointingBayviewresidentDined on 11/17/2014The food and service does not warrant the prices charged by this restaurant. I would also like to know why when I tried to make a reservation for 6 pm only 5:45 or 6:15 were offered yet the restaurant was empty? Why play these games?
- Waited 20 minutes for the server to come overBagmomDined on 11/15/2014Presentation of apps were good but not very good as far as taste
- Original NorthgreendeanDined on 11/14/2014Good food and good service. Very large space, so bring a sweater as it is a bit cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food--but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014A dinner for two (2 apps, one main, one desert all shared +2 small glasses of wine)=124.00 (included tip) The portions are on the small side, and range in quality. Service is very attentive, and atmosphere is dark, comfortable and elegant. Menu changes monthly, so lots of variety.
- Nice New Brunch MenuKoKoDined on 11/8/2014The new brunch menu is even better than before! Good food and good service as always! Washroom needs improvement.Special Features:
- Front Entrance, lighting, staffYUMMieDined on 11/6/2014front entrance faces sheppard and all cars have to be parked in the back, with no sheltered walkway to the entrance unless you climb over bushes. it was pouring rain when we finished our meal, we had seen others use the side door to their cars but nope they would not allow us, so instead we had to go out thru the front and walk unsheltered (cos the shetherd area is beyond the bushes) to our car !! Got there soaking and theres no way my husband can drive the car up to pick me . Lights...saving on electricity bills, we cant see where we r walking, we cant see the menu, we cant see what we are eating and no way I am going down the stairs to the ladies in pitch dark ??
- Unfortunate, disappointingoutoftownwersDined on 11/6/2014Loud music. Requested it to be lowered but that did not happen. Server too persistent in taking order and could not follow cues to not interrupt guests conversation. Annoying. For price of meal, we expected clean cutlery for main course and not to reuse our salad cutlery. Also expected that dishes would not be removed until both diners were finished. Food was ok.
- Jennifer's picksJensFavouritepicksDined on 11/6/2014Our server was fantastic.food delicious but portion sizes were very small.wine list expensive and not enough moderate priced bottles. Good for girls night out.noisy.great decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not lived up to the hype!VasudDined on 11/5/2014For a restaurant with such a high profile chef and pedigree the food was good but not super, the service was average and it was pricey. We could have had an equal experience in ambiance and food quality from any other upper market restaurant chain for 25% less money.Special Features:
- Poor serviceDinnerDined on 10/26/2014We went there for Sunday brunch. Even though, restaurant was half empty, we practically had to beg to get cup of coffee! My tostada was ice cold. Had to send it back! Food presentation was good.Special Features:
- disappointing & over pricedVanwilderDined on 10/25/2014Visually impressive but nothing more than that. Way over priced for dishes that don't deliver. These chefs don't know how to cook. Ordered the crispy beef and it was terrible. Friends ordered the fish and while it was good, it was really nothing special. When I spend this much on so little food I expect a flavourful return on my taste buds but this placw failed to deliver. $15 cocktails too. Thumbs down.
- Not up to expectationsfunfoodloverDined on 10/24/2014My wife, son and I visited Origins looking for some new ideas and good food. Between us we tried three appetizers, three entrees and two desserts. What we found was that the food was simply okay. The crispy calamari was lost under the mango. The burger tasted like the burgers we make at home but greasier. And the lighting was so dim that it was difficult to see what you were eating. The fish tacos were good but not enough to save the meal.
- dinergirlDined on 10/24/2014Lovely place for business lunches. Menu is interesting and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went with no expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Went to Origin on a whim. Always went by it when I would stop of at Bayview Village and finally decided to check it out. First impressions. The restaurant itself is very nice. Decor and atmosphere are similar to a Joey's. Dim and wood paneling everywhere. Nonetheless, sat down and looked a at pricey menu for tapas. Worst part was that the food was average at best. I dont mind paying for a good meal but I would not recommend going here. Would not recommend. The service was fine, server was friendly, and food was prepared in good time, but total package just doesnt cut it.
- Slow lunch service but good foodplace2placeDined on 10/21/2014Party of 6 for lunch on a weekday: Waiter was attentive. Arrival of entrees was slow. Ordered a few Origin Burgers with fries, caesar salads with chicken added, fish taco and butternut squash soup. Burgers were cooked well -- very juicy for a medium well and a well done burger. Salads looked generous, with an entire chicken leg/drumstick on the side. Fish portion was small in the taco. SECOND RUSH dessert tour portions were very small -- can't really be shared, though that was our intention. Single truffle on a stick, sparkle cookie (1 bite brownie?), a tiny cheesecake portion and large, maple cotton candy on a stick (balanced: light and not too sweet). Food tasted good and was cooked well but lunch service could be quicker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food small portionsLeasideEaterVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food prep here is innovative and flavourful. Portions are appetizer size so be prepared to order multiple plates to leave satisfied. Service is very attentive but casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehBodoDined on 10/19/2014The menu has been considerably cut down and by no means is this the 'tapas bar' it used to be. Tapas are a rarity now and the menu has been extended with burgers instead .. The price is almost outrageous for the amount of food you are getting. Won't be back
- Brunch was Meh.TaroSlushDined on 10/19/2014Went for brunch last Sunday. Our waiter was overwhelmed so we were left waiting for everything, or it never came at all. My wife had the duck confit French toast which was quite good. I had the classic breakfast which was tasteless and dry. If you're looking for classic brunch dishes head to Cora's they never disappoint (and they're half the price). If you feel like something fancy Origin North might be worth a try but it'll be hit or miss. Overall we actually love the dinner experience here and the food, but their brunch service and menu could use a little work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014Great ambiance and decor, sadly the food options have steadily decreased in quality over time.
- gurlsniteDined on 10/17/2014All the food was fantastic tasting, original and served hot! Our waitress was friendly and patient as we took our time enjoying the great food and conversation with old friends. Love the ambience. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place - food not so goodsuburbanfoodieDined on 10/17/2014I will start by saying the place was beautiful and the servers are great. Very friendly and on top of things. Its a shame the food didn't back them up. We ordered the spanish spicy fries. The first batch fries were cold and seemed stale. The server very kindly brought us a second and the fries were arginally better but not great and especially not for $12. They were still cold and seemed double-fried - hard on the outside and greasy. The humous looked lovely but was a little bland and only came with one naan. The sushi pizza was a sushi salmon salad on a fried rice pattie. The pattie was cold. All of these are minor problems - perhaps timing - but impacted greatly the quality of the food. I felt for the price it should have been better.Special Features:
- Great place!eatingoutDined on 10/10/2014The food, the service and atmosphere were just great. I will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but expected moreBornToDineOutVIPDined on 10/3/2014It was ok but expected more flavours and better presentation of food. It felt like I was being served food from a chain restaurant (like Milestones or Baton rouge) but paying the price of Lee or Scaramouche, without getting the quality or taste to match. Service was excellent. Although it is a cool addition to that neighbourhood, it don't think they are quite hitting the mark. Not many options for people who don't eat meat.
- Wonderful dinnerVirginiaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Another wonderful dinner at Origin North. Few changes to the menu since our last visit, but food and service was excellent. Crispy calamari does not disappoint. Beet salad very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as it used to be!yummersDined on 10/3/2014We love the original and the Liberty Village locations, so we thought we'd try the Bayview Village location. I have visited for lunch and dinner numerous times, always hopeful that the food would be better than on previous visits. Yet, upon each visit, that sense of disappointment grows more and more. I have no problem paying top dollar, but the food continues to fall short. This time I had the rigatoni. The pasta was sitting in a thick gelatinous squash soup, terribly under-seasoned to boot. It was quite distasteful and I just gave up. The fish tacos: 2 tacos with one tiny piece of fish in each - $17 - really?! It's too bad because the restaurant is quite lovely. Someone needs to taste the food before sending it out. Then I'll come back.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Food and service quality just average for the price they charged. Unlikely to return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014Ok if u want to wait for a long time for ur food....the portions are very small...they said it's meant for sharing....however the shared portion will be one bite.....Special Features:
- eater52Dined on 9/27/2014Food was very good the service was rushed. Food was basically thrown at us. The waitress continually interrupted our conversation with no 'excuse me' or waiting until the sentence was finished. Very rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Origin Burgerroom101Dined on 9/27/2014Went to Origin North for lunch on a Saturday. Great decor. Great service. Great food presentation. The scones were delicious, but to be honest, my main, the Origin Burger, was a bit disappointing. The fries were delicious, but the burger itself was underwhelming, rather bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would never go backBABSDined on 9/26/2014A few of us ordered burgers ... they were pathetic! I can't believe they have the nerve to charge $17 for a tiny burger and an extra $4 for 20 fries! One person order their burger medium rare and came well done and very very dry. Also, the price of a glass of wine is way out of line with the finest of restaurants! Bottom line ... we will never go back. It was the 2nd time to give it another chance as we had gone when it first opened.
- Cheap bread!LKdineDined on 9/21/2014This was the 1st time I went to Origin for brunch -I've eaten there many times for lunch and dinner. The food at these occasions has been fabulous-inventive, high quality ingredients, well seasoned and a wonderful balance of spicy savoury sweet and tart. In contrast, the brunch menu is, on the whole, predictable. And we were astonished to see basic 'wonder bread' served for toast!! Really? A restaurant which prides itself as a destination for foodies? Ridiculous and insulting.Special Features:
- Origins somewhatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Asian fusion meets milestones/moxies/spring rolls/tex mex. too expensive Service was good however we arrived as dinner service began Food flavor combinations was vgood. Noise level was fine at 6 ish. Certain would be unbearable at later times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodAlexDined on 9/13/2014I've been to Origin downtown so being able to check out Claudio's new restaurant was high on my expectations. The food was absolutely delicious (as always,) the waitress was friendly, food came out quickly, I don't think there was anything bad I could say about this place. Really good for a first date if you want to impress. I would definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemThrilledDinerDined on 9/13/2014The combination of flavours and foods was phenomenal. One of the best meals I have ever had. We were knocked out. the tunal salad, lobster ceviche, beet salad, brussels sprouts, spanish fries and nitro ice cream. I thought the fig crostini was pricey at $15 for only 3 pieces and the bread was very ordinary but my companion loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needed more privacyogong77Dined on 9/8/2014My meeting was pretty tens with lot of stuff that I had to go through and the staff's checking every 10 min, took away my dish immediately was annoying enough and didn't feel welcoming or get proper cares.Special Features:
- Manager?amilitaryspouseDined on 9/5/2014We tried Origins North because it seemed like a great neighbourhood location that looked inviting and upscale. When calling to change my reservation time, the female host was a bit rude and abrupt and not very accommodating. It was busy but no waiting line. We got out table, wedged tightly in between two other tables of two, and it wobbled. We asked to move. We did, but with some reluctance and delay. Our meals, which were pretty, but average tasting, took over 45 minutes to arrive. A few times I noticed there was no one at the hostess stand. We then realized that the problem was lack of management. We did not see anyone that resembled a manager in the restaurant. Overall it was disappointing.Special Features:
- FoodprofDined on 9/5/2014The food was mostly very good. Great steaks, black cod, calamari, crushed potatoes. Only food complaint was burnt samosas. The service however was atrocious. We four waited 90 minutes for our main course, and when it arrived it came piece meal. Two steaks were delivered, but no vegetables. The other two meals came approx 7 minutes later, and the vegetables some five minutes after that. One person requested that the steak be butterflied and well done. It arrived intact, and medium. She sent it back, and it returned still not butterflied still not well done. Had to send it back a third time then eat alone. Casual apologies but no attempt to make reparations.Special Features:
- Good diningLuv2dineDined on 9/4/2014A great place to meet friends or family, something for everyone. Inside it can be noisy, but still enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are not hungry...organicfoodieDined on 9/3/2014The food portions were too small for the price and not as tastey as we had expected. Also, we had to wait very long for each course to arrive even though the restaurant was not busy at all.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Experience was great. They lack a great dessert menu. Expand your dessert options with more conventional desserts. And also increase the portions of the food - particularly the main entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.