Origin - Liberty Village
171 E Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$51 and over
Origin - Liberty Village
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.originliberty.com/
- Phone: 4166494567
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm;
Dinner: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our events department at email@example.com
A word from Origin - Liberty Village
Origin Liberty was born out of Chef Claudio Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season. Our large, naturally-lit space is great for all occasions that demand fresh, creative food, and first-rate service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin - Liberty Village reviews from OpenTable diners
- OriginOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013Menu is confusing. Dishes are very unique but not necessarily attractive. Good food but limited options.Special Features:
- Origin oh so good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2013Amazing service, great cocktails and the most delicious food! Definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2013I always try to find a positive... I couldn't with origin. I am not American, I do appreciate a smaller portion size. What I don't appreciate, is having to bring my sister and her new fiancé (the reason for our dinner out) over to another restaurant for dinner number 2 because we were basically served appetizers. My wife had the chicken dish which was fairly tasty. The rest of us had the ribs. They were delicious, but we were only served 4 small ribs each. I assume this is why it is always so dead inside. It must be one of the top 5 slowest bars/restaurants in Toronto. Laughable service, no enthusiasm or knowledge of the menu. (Suggestion was "probably order 11/2 dinners or 2). And really, an 18% tip line?! Undeserved entirely.
- Sublime!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013Great creative dishes and beautiful presentation. Unpretentious atmosphere and great personalized service. Most impressive was the cocktail list: consisting of high-end spirits and wonderful fresh ingredients. As a bourbon lover, the server suggested something off the menu called a Paper Plane. Kudos to the bartender, it was awesome! As a small group, we loved the small, shareable plates. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT AS GOOD AS KING STREETjimmymakkDined on 11/5/2013Not nearly as good as Origin King St., plus menu not as extensive- more barsy.
- Good food and valueTerryDined on 10/26/2013Although the food is not outstanding, it is definitely very good for the price and the decor is pretty cool as well. I would return if given the opportunitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return customertonikDined on 10/25/2013Origin is one of my favs. I always take out of town guests there and they love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and satisfyingLindaDined on 10/19/2013Origins is one of those delightful blends of unique food and satisfying quantity. Although a lot of diners say to try the chinois duck (it is good, but not quite as good as peking duck from an authentic chinese restaurant), my reco would be the tuna sushi roll and the heavy industrial cocktail is killer. Our waitress was fabulous. All round a super evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Spot!!!GKP100Dined on 10/9/2013Very relaxed atmosphere - super dining experience. Basically a tapos menu, smaller dishes yet extremely flavorful and well presented. The service was outstanding at dinner and definitely going back to try more dishes. Sample appertizer of Truffle oil popcorn (where else do you get this!!) and then main dishes of beef in peanut sauce over chilled noodles - yummy......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food can be funDartMonkeyDined on 9/21/2013I didn't know much about the restaurant before my wife and I went but it exceeded our expectations. Great location and a cool decor. Clientele ranged from young clubbers to mid fifties. Tapas style menu great for sharing. The warm pretzel was a cross between a pretzel and cotton candy; light and melt-in-your-mouth good. The Spanish fries are decadent and gooey with a kick to go with them. The crispy calamari lacked the pop I was expecting, but well prepared nonetheless. The combination of ginger and cilantro in the shredded veg it came with was refreshing. The Chinois duck wraps were unbelievable. Smokey, crunchy, sweet, and hot at the same time. Absolute highlight of the meal. For dessert, the PB&J ice cream sandwich is the way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedWinniDined on 9/17/2013Hello, tried booking for 7:15. Website said no. Took 6:45. Family rushed in from Mississauga. Walked in and the place was virtually empty all night. Inexperienced waiter..knew nothing about the food. Then tried a new drink and did not like it so asked for just a coke...charged me for it! Very mad about payment. Felt pressured to leave 18% tip because the machine was programmed to show only it. Could find the button to select another. Was treating the group so i did not want to make an issue. Then the 18% was on the total bill. Really felt tricked.
- Lunchtime DelightFoodie123Dined on 9/10/2013Went there for a nice lunch. Enjoyed appetizer and main. Good mixes of flavour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJoeyVIPDined on 9/7/2013Service was great until it got a little busier, then they completely forgot about us. Finding someone to help you was like getting a cab in NYC during rush hour.Special Features:
- Great for sharing. InterestingMartaDined on 8/14/2013Great for sharing. Interesting food with lots of fresh flavours. Unfortunately, inconsistent from visit to visit.Special Features:
- amazing food and service but...happydinerDined on 8/10/2013go early, or early in the week if you don't want to be over run with insane club kids on a Friday or Saturday night. But nothing at Origin can be faulted - the service was friendly and very efficient - and I'm particularly grateful that the waiter wasn't required to give a long speech for every dish about the ingredients. That whole trend is getting tired. And when I ordered a glass of wine I wasn't crazy about - they let me have another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodfoodEDined on 8/7/2013I had the Bufala mozzarella and the Chinois duck both of which were really good though a little pricey. I found having two dishes more than plenty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!LiaVDined on 7/31/2013origin's always a safe place to bring clients - consistently good service & great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!brandcVIPDined on 7/23/2013Love it here. Sat on the patio for the first time--a little stark but nice. Service was friendly and prompt, although the second dish came while we were still working on the first, then a bit of a lull before the third. I guess that's the nature of tapas. We were fine with it. Enjoyed the Spanish fries (so bad, but so good!), two types of tostadas and the beet salad. All delicious and very filling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty salty salty foodjamiemabelleDined on 7/21/2013Would have enjoyed my meal a bit more if there was less salt in our brunches!!! Other than that, everything else was fine.Special Features:
- Brunch not up to Origin standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2013A pleasant spot for brunch -- the patio is nice, and there are enough windows that even indoors it isn't too dark. although inside can be a bit noisy even with a relatively small crowd. My main criticism is about the food. For the most part the food was band and overly salty. For example the devilled eggs appeared to have no additional seasoning in the egg yolk, but included thin strips of bacon that were so heavily salted that they were inedible, even if eaten with other food. The market salad, and tostada, we both good. The burger was perfectly cooked, but a bit dull.
- SummerliciousLMacDined on 7/19/2013Great service and vibe for a young, Friday, late dinner crowd- however the portions were so small for summerlicious. We were all still hungry after. They also did not have any redbull, however the bartender mixed me up something special, espresso martini. It was delicious! I had two, and almost a heart attack. They did a special candle for my birthday and accommodated my gluten-free diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A deep dive into OriginOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/17/2013I decided to try both the Liberty Village location as well as North - I was disappointed with the food experience at Liberty but loved the experience North - inconsistency? Why?
- Went for Sunday Brunch andIndustry21Dined on 7/14/2013Went for Sunday Brunch and waited nearly half hour to place our drink order then an additional 20 mins to recieve our drinks and then the food came after that. Tostada wasn't enjoyable, avocados weren't ripe and dish wasn't seasoned. Red menace came with no sprouts (we ordered 5 of them) and when we asked the waiter about the sprouts he said they didn't have any and brought us one free red menace for 5 people #pointlessmuch? Burgur came by itself on a tiny sideplate with not even a salad it looked embarassing. Positive notes: daily omelette and duck confit french toast were both delicious.Special Features:
- SummerliciousfidcasDined on 7/13/2013Went to Origin for dinner for Summerlicious and had an enjoyable evening. The patio was lovely and the service was good. It took a little bit longer than I thought was usual to get food, but the wait was worth it. The beef and noodle salad was delicious and the calamari was fried perfectly. The chocolate cake for dessert was out of this world. Rich, dark and fudgy and the bananas were a great pair. My only complaint could be the portion sizes were a little small and while I was satisfied, I wanted a little more to eat. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Very Accessible8wellDined on 7/12/2013I selected this restaurant because it was listed as wheelchair accessible, since my wife uses a walker. It is wheelchair accessible, but only sort of. It takes the staff some time to find the key and run the lift from the entry to the eating level. More importantly, however, the accessible washroom failed the test. It was locked, and it took some time to find someone, then that person took time to find the key and to get it unlocked. What if it was urgent to get in? She found, when in, that it is used for the storage of cleaning supplies, which makes it hard for the user to turn a walker about and unpleasant to use. Furthermore, it is not fully accessible. The towel dispenser is too high for anyone in a chair to reach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedJohnVIPDined on 7/12/2013We went during Summerlicious and were pleasantly surprised baby the quality of the dishes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately the portionsTorontoDineretteDined on 7/11/2013Unfortunately the portions were so tiny and the service was really poor. The food itself was good, but those things completely ruined the experience and we left the restaurant still very hungry!Special Features:
- Delicious food, great servicetastebuddyDined on 7/10/2013Tried the place for the first time during Summerlicious. The shrimp appetizer was wonderful. The calamari was good. The lemon dessert was good. The only problem was that the air conditioning was a bit too much. Had to put on my sweater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmbarrassingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/10/2013I was looking forward to introducing my two friends to the wonders of Origin as I have dined multiple times at the location on King Street downtown which has been absolutely amazing every time. So imagine my embarrassment when I highly recommended several items from the menu for my friends to try and every single dish was a huge disappointment. Everything - from the truffled popcorn (over saturated in butter/oil), to the microscopic size and blandness of the entrees, to the mundaneness of the desserts - was awful. To make matters worse, we were all still hungry when we left so headed to another resto on Ossington for some decent food to fill our tummies. Having praised Origin so highly, I was shocked and very embarrassed.
- Summerlicious on a Sunday?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2013We reserved a table at Origin for a Summerlicious lunch on a Sunday through the Summerlicious website, which was then directed to Open Table. However, when we reached Origin (after pre-paying for parking) we were greeted by our unapologetic hostess that only the brunch menu was being offered and that the prix fixe lunch menu was not being served. A few questions immediately come to mind. 1 Why was this important detail ommited from the Summerlicious website? 2 Why is there no mention on the Origin website that the Summerlicious menu was not being offered on Sunday afternoon? 3 Why was I able to book a table for lunch at Open Table when I was clearly directed from the Summerlicious website? No concessions were made for this error. Too bad!Special Features:
- Nothing like the Original..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013We chose this restaurant because we had such a great experience at the Origin East.There is no comparison in these two locations. There is just nothing special about this restaurant while the Origin East was a great atmosphere, with delicious and interesting food. I will not likely return any time soon.It was loud,the food choices were limited and the food quality was not particularly impressive.Special Features:
- The food was executed flawlessly,PotsnuDined on 6/23/2013The food was executed flawlessly, fresh and healthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessPorphyrogennetosDined on 6/21/2013Origin-Liberty was flawless. Our server was polite, knowledgable about the entire menu and prompt. Every cocktail creation we tried was amazing and we worked our way through several items on the menu which were all perfect. I cannot wait to return and try more from their innovative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighbourhood find!CatyDined on 6/21/2013Food was very fresh and flavorful! Service was attentive, funny and well informed. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/18/2013I met some friends here for a post exam celebration. The tapas style food is easy to share, even with people I didn't know well. Even though the restaurant looks fancy, the atmosphere is pretty laid back and we were able to really enjoy our food and drinks without feeling rushed. Will be back again.Special Features:
- We visited the Liberty VillagefoodiestoDined on 6/12/2013We visited the Liberty Village this past week and was disappointed. We have been to the location on King St E a few times and have been blown away by the food and service. Our past experience in Liberty Village was very different. The host did not have our reservation, I had show my email confirmation, he was rude about seating us, we had for different people serve us at various times. It made it difficult to talk, where we were rushed by so many staff memebers, the portions are way smaller, and overpriced. When it came to dessert, we ordered specialty coffees first and then the server walked away, someone different nrought the coffees and then they dropped a bill.
- Great foodandreaeverwereDined on 6/8/2013Really nice place with great brunch menu. Really reasonablly priced and the portions were perfect. Was very quiet on a Saturday for brunch and would have liked to sit on the patio, but otherwise very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but bad serviceBuffyP28Dined on 6/7/2013Sat by a big party with 2 loud, screaming children.Loud place - difficult to have a conversation. Food was great, but service was horrible. The food came out one dish at a time, server took forever to place the order. Wanted to order a bottle of wine and could not find server. Had to find someone else to take the order. Fries were horrible and burnt. They brought us a second dish and they were also burnt and charged us for it vs taking it off the bill - bad service! Regardless, of ambiance and food, when the service is not there its difficult to say positive things.Special Features:
- Sundays are for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2013The food was good, the servers were accommodating (we had to move indoors because of weather) and you're in the heart of Liberty Village. I would've liked soy milk with my coffee, but the americano was a fine alternative. I'd go back. Did it live up to the hype? I don't know, but we had a good time. Happy brunching!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although the wait staff wasMillieDined on 5/29/2013Although the wait staff was nice, our experience was just mediocre. The food was interesting and well presented, but lacked flavour. We ordered what we thought were appetizers, but all of the food came at once. It was an enjoyable experience, but with so many other places to eat in Toronto, it's unlikely we'll go back to Origin for dinner. We might try the patio again for drinks.Special Features: