Ore House - Durango
147 E. College Drive
Durango, CO 81301Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Ore House - Durango
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orehouserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9702475707x1
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southwest, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Ryan Lowe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Rehearsal Dinners, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Engagement Parties and Company Parties, are all special occasions that deserve the proper party. We look forward to workng with you to create an incredible event for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ryan Lowe 9702475707x103
- Entertainment: Exhibition kitchen and bar!
- Special Events: Large party? Small Party? Special Occasion? Business? Let us know how we can help!
A word from Ore House - Durango
Established in 1972, the Ore House is Durango's oldest and finest restaurant. Featuring hand cut USDA certified Black Angus prime and choice steaks, steaks from ranches surrounding southwest Colorado, sustainable seafood, all natural poultry, seasonal local produce, and homemade desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ore House - Durango - Best Restaurants in Durango ›
Ore House - Durango reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (40)romantic (34)notable wine list (28)good for groups (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Succulent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I always make it a point to visit the Ore House every time we are in Durango (we are from Albuquerque NM). We have never been disappointed with the food or the service. Although we would suggest making reservations prior to your arrival as it can get quite busy at times and the wait list quite long. As for the food, every meal has been a festival for the taste-buds. We order the ribeye steaks and find that they are cooked to perfection along with the wonderful side dishes the Ore House has to offer. Don't forget to try the bacon-butter with your corn-bread.Special Features:
- ore houseMGPHAASVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had a great dinner ordered king crab legs which were delicious but a little over priced , however the steak was great and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Crablegs!DancinLadyDined on 8/22/2014The king crab legs were very good, generous portion. Chocolate dessert excellent combo of rich fudge and light mousse! My guests were very happy with the steak. Service was a little slow and too noisy but it was Fri. night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and friendly service.cowgirlDined on 8/22/2014Always good food and wonderful service. The petite filet and the chicken cordon bleu are our favorites.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulMikeDined on 8/18/2014Service staff is excellent and well trained. Food is always consistent and what you would expect for the price. We visit a couple of times a year and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ore house experienceMrCampagDined on 8/15/2014I visit the Ore house each year looking forward to the good food and great menu, however this year I was disappointed. The menu has changed and the food not as good as my previous experiences, so much so I will be trying other restaurants in Durango which is a shame as I always looked forward to my visitSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable Dinner in DurangoTDDCDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed a great dinner including a perfectly prepared filet. The mini corn muffins were a hit and the bacon butter was something unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever!bliss42Dined on 8/7/2014The Ore House was highly recommended by a friend, and it did not disappoint. Best steak ever! The food and service were great. The atmosphere was also so welcoming. My family will definitely come back on our next visit to Durango!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect choiceGogotravelerDined on 8/1/2014A friend from Texas recommended Ore House. It was everything he told us.....great steak and superb creme brûlée....and more. We also loved the mojitos, shrimp & crab claw appetizer, and tiramisu. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicioussssssssssssssssssssssssssssavy103Dined on 7/30/2014it was very goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cook slightly off.CO14erDined on 7/26/2014Have been going here for 30+ years. The new menu is excellent. Had the surf & surf & turf. Ordered beef medium-rare, one cut was medium and one cut was medium-rare. Minor mixup Chef! The meal was excellent and service great. Go early as this popular restaurant fills up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beckyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014Just the right spot... wild west meets wildly good grilled steaks... great bartender!Special Features:
- Great food. Expensive wine list.OnceInAwhileDinerDined on 7/25/2014Had friends in town from Iowa wanting great steaks. Ore House delivered, albeit at steep prices. Food, service, and ambiance were all first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Durango FavoriteWoodymanDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I visit Durango once a year to see relatives.It has been our best Dining experience and is now a tradition for our trip to Durango.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks to Sunset magazineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Even before planning a trip to Ouray to visit family and Durango to take the train ride, I read about the Ore House in the issue of Sunset Magazine featuring Mountain Ranges. We had dinner there our first night in Durango and enjoyed it very much. The steaks were fabulous and the side dishes were wonderful. My husband and I both enjoy a good steak but so often the steak is the only star on the plate. The delicious side dishes were perfect and the quality of the beef outstanding.Special Features:
- JoAnnDined on 7/20/2014My son and I ate there last Sunday night (20th) and we thoroughy enjoyed ourselves. The restaurant is charming...nice vibes. The food was excellent. Rib eye, and surf and turf-wonderful. Especially loved the mashed potatoes but couldn't eat them all!!! too rich! Wine selection was great and there was 50% off certain wines which was nice. Our servers were very very nice...could use a little polish on bringing wine to the table, etc. (My son works at a high-end restaurant in Boulder and is extremely well versed in wines and serving them, so that comes from him) All in all, a very nice dinner and if we come to Durango again, we will definitely come back to Ore.Special Features:
- Enjoyable TreatJamhomeDined on 7/19/2014Pricey, but worth it. We had the Surf and Surf and Turf and the Chicken Cordon Bleu, a side of mushrooms, and for dessert, the local Cream Bean Berry vanilla ice cream. Everything was made to order, tasted amazing, and the service was great. We thought the portions looked small when they were served, but we ended up bringing a box home - I enjoyed a steak medallion for lunch the next day along with the tasty little corn muffins they give as a "bread and butter" starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestKDW94063VIPDined on 7/18/2014The restaurant was rated highly by Sunset magazine but we were disappointed with the quality if the food and the high prices.
- ExcellentOutstandingDined on 7/18/2014The food and service was superb!!! Great location and presentation. This is a hot spot with great energy.Special Features:
- OMG!CravingOresDined on 7/17/2014Reservations a must! The service perfect, short wait for our food, & worth every penny! The best, most perfectly cooked petite filet minion; wet aged, juicy, tender & full of flavor. The 2 of us shared 3 sides (2, too many) & had a salad each. Sides were delicious, but the organic garden salad was fabulous! I highly recommend the lemon honey vinagarette. This dressing is light, zingy & sweet! Ok...less I forget the little corn muffins & bacon butter...no way! A skeptic at first...bacon butter? Omg...delicious! I cannot wait for a return trip to Durango so I may dine at Ore House! Five Stars! BTW, we arrived early in the evening, 5pm, and glad we did. All tables were full before we ever left. Slightly pricey, but worth it. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFUL ANNIVERSARY DINNER!!!DurangoLocalVIPDined on 7/15/2014We made a reservation to celebrate our anniversary at the Ore House and we were welcomed with Happy Anniversary wishes by all of the staff who interacted with us and we had amazing food and service. It's so nice as locals to have a great local restaurant to celebrate all of life's special occasions and our dinner really was a treat. There is a new menu since we were in last time and there are many local farms represented with lots of organic options as well. Our steaks were prepared perfectly and the steak tartare was delicious! I would highly recommend dining at the Ore House Durango for all of your special occasions.Special Features:
- Great place for a birthday treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014This long-time Durango has a warm, inviting atmosphere and quiet enough that people can have a conversation without shouting. the wait staff was knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and helpful. The meal was cooked well and was greatly appreciated. A return visit is in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic cuisinediningpairMandDDined on 7/12/2014The salmon was excellent, best in town. steak was delicious, "baseball" cut was perfect portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodSherryDined on 7/11/2014As always, the food was great and reasonable priced. Servers are all very friendlySpecial Features:
- Richie2Dined on 7/9/2014This experience did not meet my expectations. We have eaten there several times in the past and had a very good dinner. This time just didn't match up.Special Features:
- KimwrenDined on 7/9/2014Outstanding specialty cocktails. San Juan Sirloin and Surf&Surf&Turf all delicious and cooked to perfection. Mini cornbread muffins to die for. Decor reflects the historical significance of the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wife's BrthdayBirthdayDined on 7/8/2014We eat at The Ore house only 4 or 5 times a year. We are on a fixed income and it is hard for us to spend that much money on a meal. However, when we do go it is a real pleasure. The wait staff is very friendly and attentive. The food is some of the best I have eaten. You have a place that we look forward to coming and enjoy oir eveninoSpecial Features:
- Excellent food, unpretentious placeAllelineDined on 7/5/2014The steak I had was perfectly done, exceptional cut of meat; my dining companion's Alaskan halibut was perfect and the sauce was inventive. Great menu and a very well-trained staff. We will definitely go back. The ambience is not stuffy or sacred, like some fine dining places. The rooms are small and there is a moderate noise level from the bar, so this is not one of those temples to Food. It is a neighborhood restaurant that takes food seriously. Prices are what you would expect for the quality - my filet was about $40, as I recall.Special Features:
- Local's and tourists alikeLocalFoodiesDined on 7/5/2014First timers though we're locals. Treated a friend to supper as "thank you," her pick. Great steaks and more vegetarian options much appreciated, including seafood. Portions are good, e.g. not over-sized - this does make for some pricey options still, esp w/ seafood combos. Still, great locally sourced items, including greens. Dark inside but not too crowded. Bit noisy. Hostess accommodated our request to not sit near kitchen, so bit quieter. Prompt service, attentive waitstaff! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so happywineanddineDined on 7/4/2014I enjoy the Ore House each time I visit Durango. I look forward to having a great steak with wine. This time though the steak was only so so and the service was horrible. For whatever reason the waitress consistently walked past me without eye contact and without checking in on my needs. I felt ignored. Just one final example was when I was ready to pay my check and she started taking orders from a table of 24 before taking my payment. I was ready to walk out. At that point I did decide to say something about her lack of attentiveness.Special Features:
- Great placeFredDined on 7/1/2014The Ore House is always a must stop when we are in Durango. The ribeye was a perfect piece of meat and was done exactly as requested. The surf and turf was a wonderful blend of flavors and made a wonderful plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seemed good, but...SaddleBrookeFoodieDined on 6/29/2014If you are on a budget, don't come here. All items are separately priced, so there are no fries with that burger unless you pay extra. Or, no steak add on sauces, unless you pay extra. That said, my steak was perfectly prepared, and my wife's Alaskan halibut was very nice.
- Best Steak EverSherryDined on 6/29/2014The prime rib eye is wonderful. Enough for 2 unless you have a huge appetite. Side are also great. Don't miss the local watercress salad and the loaded baked potato. Service is great and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ore House revisitedLuLuBelleDined on 6/27/2014We used to live in Durango about 30 years ago and recently returned for a family vacation. It was nice to revisit The Ore House and know that we would get the same great food we did in the past. Of course, prices have increased as so many places have but food was still great.Special Features:
- ore houseTipperDined on 6/26/2014Enjoyable experience. Food and service were excellent. Expect to pay more for the above.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality FoodBest4SteaksDined on 6/26/2014Steaks are fantastic at this notable Durango restaurant. Aged beef that melts in your mouth! Sides are always interesting and now individually sized so everyone can try his own. Deserts are always a classic addition to the meal. Price, while not cheap, is appropriate to the quality.Special Features:
- A rustic dining experienceHungrybuddahDined on 6/24/2014The Ore House is a nifty little bar with a nice little side dining room...it has a potentially great ambiance but that is a function of those dining near you...in my case those people were VERY loud...the food was very good, except for the deep fried brussel sprouts (not too tasty)...the steak tartare was excellent, as was the filet that followed...service was nice but rather inattentive, probably because of the noisy group in the room...a nice place and I would return.Special Features:
- Great spot for dinnerLeahDined on 6/24/2014Ore house was a great spot for our anniversary dinner. My husband and I enjoyed our delicious meal that was served by a very atentative waitress. She was a pleasure throughout the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceSoHappyDined on 6/21/2014We had been planning on the adventure to Dgo and eating for over a year. Finally we just dropped things and drove from NM to Dgo. Drinks at the bar were fun, bar tender was friendly and gave several free samples of local suds, seating was accomplished at exactly the time we reserved. Our waitress was fun and the meal was heavenly, best ribeye in my small lifetime (58 yrs) and cooked to perfection. I would recommend this eatery to everyone and will definitely be headed back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful and creative steakhouseCrosshead4Dined on 6/21/2014My wife and I ate at the Ore House twice during our honeymoon. We had the local steak (filet) which was grass fed beef from a nearby ranch. The flavor was wonderful and the pepper steak sauce was a nice complement. We also shared the beef and barley stew which was the best I've ever had. They have a well equipped bar with many hard to find whiskeys. The menu was very creative and the food was wonderful! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.