Orchard Street Chop Shop
1 Orchard St
Dover, NH 03820Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Orchard Street Chop Shop
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://orchardstreetchopshop.com/
- Phone: 6037490006
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Bar open later.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Steakhouse, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chris "Koz" Kozlowski
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flat-Iron Catering Company is the seacoast's newest premier caterers. We specialize in steakhouse and southern cuisine. We are the preferred caterers for Rivermill in Dover. We will travel anywhere on the seacoast of ME, NH, or MA and will cater all around Lake Winnepesaukee. Preferred caterer of Kate Parker Weddings.
- Private Party Facilities: We have many private rooms that can accommodate 80 guests for a sit-down dinner and up to 140 guests for a cocktail party. NO facility or room charges, unlike other places.
- Private Party Contact: Corey Richardson 6037490006
- Entertainment: Monday - Open mic night featuring Dave Ogden starting at 8 PM. Friday - "Funkadelic Fridays", featuring a live local ensemble starting at 9 PM. All entertainment is at the Top of the Chop
A word from Orchard Street Chop Shop
Northern New England's First True Prime Steakhouse featuring in-house dry-aged steaks, martini bar & Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. Two floors. Fine dining downstairs with white tablecloths & table-side service. Top of the Chop upstairs featuring a more casual dining room serving our lighter "Rustic Menu" as well as our main menu. In the summer months, enjoy all of our menus out on our new deck called The Terrace. You can enjoy a nice cigar from our extensive cigar menu while enjoying a dry-aged steak or Fillet Mignon burger. "Top 3 Restaurants in NH in 2010" - Manchester Union Leader "4 out of 4 Stars for Food" - Portland Phoenix "Top 10 Restaurants in NH" - 2011 Guyot.com Reservations accepted for our main dining room only through OpenTable.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Orchard Street Chop Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (7)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Amazing!suenmaceDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant is amazing. Everything we ate and drank was to perfection! We met up with Chef Koz on our way out and found him quite engaging. He really is passionate about everything he serves!Special Features:
- Relaxed EleganceSeacoastDinerDined on 9/13/2014Dover has never been known as the culinary hotbed of the world. Yet, the Orchard Street Chop Shop delivered one of the best steaks I've ever had. Their aged beef was perfectly seasoned, cooked, and served. Just be aware, that there are no dress code requirements resulting in some very casual dress of some of the patrons (cargo shorts and boots, anyone?)Special Features:
- Dover dining at its finest.NotDigiornoDined on 9/10/2014The Chop Shop has always been my go to destination for a good dinner in the Dover area. Finding a good steak is not something easy to do, but the Chop Shop has never disappointed me. The food is well prepared and presented, the staff are friendly and accommodating, and the ambiance is one not available elsewhere in the Dover area. If you're a fan of good steak, or just good food in general, and are in or can make it out to Dover, this is a place worth checking out.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in DoverfishmongerDined on 9/9/2014The only thing that kept me from giving this review an outstanding was the lack of servers on the night I went. Despite this fact, the upstairs waitress/bartender did an outstanding job of managing all her customers and orders. This restaurant can't be beat for ambiance, quality of food and amazing bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummmooo!luv2eatoutDined on 7/19/2014Our dining experience was delicious! We can't wait to go back as there is much more we would like to try!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014We enjoy bringing friends here because we know it will be great food. Not sure why the restaurant was not busy. I hope they stay in business because it is a special place.Special Features:
- Great steak, salty mashed potatoesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I was sooo looking forward to the mashed potatoes that accompanied my prime rib. alas, they were much too salty for my taste. The flourless chocolate cake was wonderful, but the sauce was, well - too much.Special Features:
- Did not have a good experiencegobruins14Dined on 6/26/2014We made a reservation for 7:00 via OpenTable for Dover Dines week. We arrived at the restaurant at about 6:55 and waited 15 minutes for the hostess to arrive at her station. Per the OpenTable instructions, I told her that we had a 7:00 reservation made via OpenTable. She gave me a weird look and said, "....Do you have a name?" Kind of rude, but I gave her my name and she said, "7:30?" Nope, 7. She sat us anyway. She did not provide the Dover Dines menu, which apparently doesn't include anything on the normal menu. After waiting for a waitress for 20 minutes, we asked her for the special menu. We got that menu and waited another 20 minutes to place our order. In between each course we waited a good 20 minutes. It wasn't a good time.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Orchard Street Chop Shop reviews archive.
- Disappointing experienceservicemattersDined on 6/20/2014We were excited to sample the menu of this restaurant during restaurant week. When we arrived, we were sent upstairs to a dingy, bar- with-tables room, with a rustic look. We were expecting to get a table in the main dining room which was much nicer with atmosphere, ie. white table cloths and candles. The host told us that area was all booked up, but later, when I went to go to the restroom, the downstairs room was empty with lots of tables. Our server was very busy and not attentive to us, probably because we did not order a drink. The food took forever to come and was terrible. Poor quality. If they were trying to get new customers, they failed. I would never go there or recommend it to anyone.
- ok, better before, short staffedRoccoDined on 4/10/2014.We've been here a few times, always been enjoyable/food very good. When we arrived, they did not have our Open Table res, (said that happens often), but could seat us (I showed her my confirming e-mail) and the greeter said she was alone that evening as a couple people had called out. She was friendly, and tried to be as helpful as possible. Accordingly, service was less than usual/standard. We get it, it hard to take of an entire dining room essentially by oneself. But, this did have an effect on the flow of the evening and the quality of the food, which was surprisingly inconsistent from all other visits here. Anyway, even though we were disappointed with this experience, we'll be back, based on the Chop Shop's overall reputationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for growthPeterDined on 3/22/2014This was our 2nd time here, giving it another try after a good, but not outstanding first visit. Sad to say, this did not improve the experience. Parking is a little dicey, but that is typical of a downtown restaurant. The food was good, but still a bit disappointing. How does a restaurant undercook a baked potato? It's such a little thing, but steak and a baked potato go together, and such a small issue helps to spoil the experience. The kobe beef was very tasty and recommended. The service was the great disappointment. Slow, slow, slow! 2.5 hrs? Really? Very pleasant staff, but not at all attentive. Three other tables came in later, and left while we waited to place a desert order!I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Hopes ..So disappointingDahliaDooDined on 3/22/2014Waited at an empty hostess station to be told reservation for 2 in main dinning room could not be honored. Hostess explained - tried to contact us w/o success? Drove 45 minutes for anniversary dinner. Accepted table upstairs -dank lifeless, uncomfortably mostly empty bar area. After 10 min. listening to loud kitchen someone finally acknowledged us. For the $ - Steaks grizzly, mediocre at best Sides/ salads ok - minimal. Service- slow, impersonal, indifferent but with an air of pretentiousness. BTW - trip downstairs to rest room revealed MANY empty tables leaving us unclear on the move too upstairs. We would not return here and would definitely not recommend it.
- Love the food!MsHenriquez617Dined on 3/22/2014Everything was excellent!!!! Try the cowboy steak to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Our server was great, we enjoyed a birthday celebration in style. An important thing though was the bill payment. We had a gift certificate we thought was for $50, so we paid the bill with that and cash. The waitress returned questioning the excessive tip. Turns out the card was good for $100, we had over paid by $50. Her honesty speaks volumes. We are certainly returning for the great food and wine selctions, but the outstanding service puts it over the top for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Orchard Street Cop Shop excellentbrigglDined on 3/13/2014I went to the Orchard Street Cop Shop early on a Thursday evening. There were very few diners there while I was there and the hostess was also my waitress. I assume that when the place is busier that this is not the case. It worked out fine however and the service was excellent. I had the Tuscan Braised Short Rib with Burgundy Risotto as an appetizer. It was done perfectly and I enjoyed it very much. Then I had the Delmonico Steak for an entree and it was very good as well. I ordered it medium rare and it came out closer to medium, but the flavor was quite good. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the food. Overall the service and food was very good and I would recommend this restaurant for any time you want a quality meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkRazorDined on 2/15/2014Would try again. However was disappointed with our 1st visit. I received the wrong salad. My steak was paper thin. Had to ask for the bernaise sauce that was supposed to be on the steak. Baked potato was cold. Server was great. Hopefully an off night in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not gooddeebironDined on 2/6/2014I guess we had high expectations of this place from the reviews. The Calamari Fra Diavlo was way too spicy and the Calamari was soggy. Elk Medallions Wrapped in Apple-wood Smoked Bacon with Port Demi-glac- well the elk was good but over cooked and was not wrapped in bacon- the bacon was laid over the elk. The blackened asparagus was soggy also. The biggest thing was for the money the 45-Day Dry-aged Cowboy Ribeye Steak, 18 oz. was not what we expected. The bone was maybe 6 oz. its self. it was tender but over cooked for what was requested. It came out sitting on top of a serving of mashed potatoes. Service was good,very attentive. I did notice her tell the cooks on a few occasions to keep it down,.,,,,,, overall do not think we will returnSpecial Features:
- Read the whole reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014Everything was perfect EXCEPT I request a table near the fireplace and when we were going to be seated they were going to seat us near the window. When I said that I requested the fireplace they said they didn't see the request. Fortunately the restuarant wasn't busy so my request was met.Special Features:
- Not impressedFlit65Dined on 12/14/2013One of us ordered the cowboy steak with a baked potato for the price it should have been so much better. The baked potato was cold and was over baked and all dried up. My mashed potatoes were cold. One other person in our party ordered a NY strip very well done and it came back medium well. We all were so hungry and it starting to storm so we did not want to say something about our orders.Special Features:
- Dinner and ambience in Dover!JeanDonaldParentDined on 11/16/2013My husband and I saw a review of this restaurant on Phantom Gourmet and had to go! The building is an old firehouse which adds to the dining experience. Nice, courteous wait-staff, delicious menu and wine selection! Will definitely visit again. We drove about an hour and it was well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disaster from the startPleasedDined on 11/8/2013I would avoid this place, My Husband and I tried it out and the complete lack of service or attention was truly dumb founding and when we did get some service it was bad turned me off completely. I think this could be something if they would just be less sloppy and more front of the house inviting.
- We'll definitely be backcoolhoosierDined on 9/24/2013Went to the Orchard Street Chop Shop for the first time to celebrate our 35th anniversary. While not cheap, the food was worth every penny -- the steaks were perfectly cooked and the sides were appropriate and excellent. The only criticism would be the lack of a second "salad" plate which would have been handy for the caprice salad we shared. Service was outstanding: the waitress was knowledgeable in the menu and he wine list. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Slow NightRubyDined on 9/12/2013Every thing was fine with just 1 exception. It was a rather slow night and it took at least 40 min between our appetizers and dinner being served. This was excessive and really no excuse on such a slow night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worst everOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/10/2013This was the worst meal ever. The menu does not reflect what you actually get. started with wine by the glass- 2 of which were not available. the bottle of red wine we choose was not available. The mussels with tasso ham did not have tasso ham, it had store bought andouille. The bacon wrapped antelope, it came cooked with a few pieces of bacon plopped on top- was chewy! The waitress said antelope was supposed to be chewy. the medium rare sirloin came well done. So, I sent it back. The waitress said it would only be 5 minutes. It was at least 15. The sweet potato fries were black and inedible. We asked for the manager. It was too busy for him to come out and talk to us. This is a steak house that cannot cook steak. Or stock wine.
- Place was empty on a MondaybeefyDined on 8/26/2013Place was empty on a Monday night and service and food delivery was woeful
- A great find!!SummerinMaineDined on 8/8/2013Had the pleasure of dinning there on Thursday, August 8th...From the time we arrived to the time we left we were treated like royalty. Our entrees were cooked exactly as we ordered, the presentation was only second to the taste and quality of the food. Julie our waitress was awesome, and the chef/owner "Koz" took time to came over and talked to us for about 5 minutes, showing an interest not only the how we were enjoying the food but told us all about the dining room which was undergoing some renovations. We have dined at numerous steak houses from Portland to Boston and this is as good as any of them. We will be back on our next trip to that area...Can't wait, keep up the good work!!!Special Features:
- Bad experiencegranitiirDined on 8/2/2013When we arrived at 7:15 pm ona Friday night, there were 2 tables occupied. We picked this restaurant for their chiateaubriand. We ordered a bottle of Pinot noir ( a little overpriced) and our chateaubriand. The server said that she was going to bring us bread. 45 minutes goes by and no bread. We remind the server and she promises to get our bread. After 70 minutes we get 4 small pieces of bread. Our main course arrived we got our overcooked chateaubriand ( We ordered medium rare). The meat was dry, the baked potato undercooked and the veggies dry.
- A waste of time and moneyMeatjudgeDined on 7/30/2013This place is a joke for a high end steak house. Poor service, menu items not available, food not cooked properly, drive a few extra miles to a REAL Steakhouse is the only way to guarantee you won't be disappointed. The owner has no clue about customer satisfaction!
- had high hopesBlanchDined on 7/26/2013restaurant was cold and empty on a Friday night. Food took way too long, small portions, really salty, overpriced drinks. I won't be going back or recommending to friends.
- A special treat!MdkiwiDined on 6/7/2013I took my wife and kids to the Chop Shop for my wife's 40th birthday. It was a fantastic hit with everyone. The food was amazing and the service was as well. My children are 8 and 10 and the kids menu was a total hit with them, they had the kids filet mignon. It was so refreshing to have a kids option at a nice restaurant that wasn't mac 'n cheese. So impressed, we'll be sure to be back again. THanks CHop Shop for making my wife's birthday a memorable one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AppsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/22/2013We went on a night that had a rowdy party in the downstairs room. There was only one waiter/barman in the top room. The appetizers were great - we had the calamari and the coconut shrimp. The entrees were okay. My sister had a filet cooked medium well, but the outside was basically burnt. My filet was nicely cooked but my mashed potatoes had obviously been waiting for a while. Our waiter did a nice job given that the was the only waiter for about five tables and the bar.Special Features: