Orale Mexican Kitchen
341 Grove St.
Jersey City, NJ 07032Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Orale Mexican Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oralemk.com/
- Phone: (201) 333-0001
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5400pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please contact the restaurant directly.
A word from Orale Mexican Kitchen
Orale Mexican Kitchen. Now Opened.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Orale Mexican Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Jersey City ›
Orale Mexican Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)romantic (5)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food and always consistent.HudsonHawkeDined on 11/7/2014The guacamole trio choices are a great starter (my favs are the shrimp guac and the blue cheese guac). The tuna tacos on a lettuce leaf are excellent! Always a creative choice of margarita flavors as well. The seating in the back room is favorable as the main floor can be a bit loud and tight. Always a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Loved everything.. it was very noisy .. only bad thing! couldn't really hear people across the table... one person asked for 3 different drinks. they could not accomendate but went into the cellar and found the alcohol she was looking for and then ran across the street to purchase it!!! Wonderful:!!!!Special Features:
- Great Tuesday Spot!NicoleVIPDined on 9/16/2014I am a huge taco fan, and could eat them for every meal. Orale has the best Taco Tuesday dinner that we have found in Jersey City! The food is always great, and the service is fantastic. Go during happy hour to enjoy the $5 frozen margarita of the day!!Special Features:
- Great find!aimesnycDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary on the recommendation of a friend. We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious, the prices reasonable, portions were ample (not too much/little) and the atmosphere was very cool but also warm and romantic. The flight of Tequila also helped make it a great time... Would definitely recommend for a delicious and fun night out. Staff was also very friendly. P.S. My husband is now somewhat obsessed with trying to cook marrow at home after having the marrow tacos. Entrees were definitely the main star with rice/beans as somewhat supporting players (as it should be, since you don't want to fill up on side dishes!). Pork belly guac was also a perfect appetizer.Special Features:
- What happened to Orale?TomRJCDined on 8/8/2014We've been there a number of times and always enjoyed it but this time, the entrees were really bad. The guacamole trio was excellent but the chicken mole enchiladas, while beautiful to look at, were awful. The chicken seemed to have been boiled and had no texture or taste at all. I ordered the Special, 5 mini oyster tacos. If the waiter hadn't told me they were oysters, I'd have never known. Each taco had a crunchy lump of fried breading. I could only identify an actual oyster in one of them. The servers were very attentive.Special Features:
- Pre Wedding FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Stayed in Jersey and the night before our marriage we went hear with the family. Service was prompt and friendly. The food was excellent across the board, real taste and not just heat like you get with some Mexican food places. It was a chance find but turned into a perfect night on the eve of our wedding.Special Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Orale Mexican Kitchen reviews archive.
- Quality placeOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/14/2014The food was good, service was good. The only complaint is that the sangria was very weak. Probably all juice. I split a carafe between my friend and I and the waiter had said there are about 3 glasses each. We finished the entire thing and felt completely fine. Other than that it was a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not For EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/13/2014We dined at Orales in Jersey City last Friday evening. Overall it was a nice experience. Parking is difficult on the street so had to park in a garage nearby. The restaurant decor is rather dark, with skulls in the rooms in the corners and on pictures hanging in the back bricked room. The ceiling was very cool with copper decorative squares. My margarita was good and the queso fandido was very good with the three sauces you can add to it. I had the chicken quesadillas which were great where as my husband was not all that impressed with the little tacos. Would we go there again when in town? Probably not. The menu was too limited! Not enough choices of favorites and too many weird choices which we had absolutely no idea what they were.Special Features:
- DisappointedJDeanDined on 6/8/2014Nice looking restaurant. The menu is too limited. The only "Mexican" food are tacos and enchiladas - unless you want a sandwich (torta) for dinner. And only 3 types of enchiladas. One had mole, which I don't like. One was vegetarian, which I didn't want. A lot of taco varieties but you get five very small tacos of all the same choice. The waiter did let me choose 2 different ones since "it wasn't very crowded" (so why did it take so long to get my food?). I got the carnitas & fish tacos and did not love either one. My date got the chicken enchilada (sans mole) - good but not great. Guacamole was very good but the chips tasted stale. The margarita was very good but very pricey for a small drink ($13). I will probably not be going back.Special Features:
- Original and ArtsyChuletaDined on 6/1/2014Awesome food with fun & original names. Great Tequilas and micheladas. Great relaxed service. We were celebrating our anniversary and we had tons of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great ServiceBPC8Dined on 5/15/2014This place trumps any Mexican restaurant in NYC, and the prices are very reasonable for the quality of food. Good menu selection, strong drinks, and a nice space. Waiter was very attentive. Great place!Special Features:
- Mother's Day Lunchkex320Dined on 5/11/2014This is a great place to take a party of 6 for lunch. They sat us at a spacious table (unlike other restaurants where they try to squeeze big groups into small tables) and the server was great. We went there with a hankering for tacos but when we saw the menu, tacos weren't on it! They were still serving brunch. We asked the server and he was able to make it happen and was cool about it. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Great Atmospher & Great DrinksprettypalateDined on 5/10/2014I made an 8:45p reservation but called because I was running 10 mins late. They said no problem and when my husband and I arrived, we were seated promptly. The main room is spacious and loud (bar), we were seated in the side room which was much quieter, able to talk and and better for a date night. We ordered the house guac - which was good, fresh but we added the hot sauce for more flavor. Margaritas - tasty and strong. Husband had the Pork Tacos with roasted chile/pineapple; I had the enchilada suiza. Best sauce I have had for that dish. Overall the meat was a little dry for both, but the suiza sauce made up for that. Service was great, timely and serving staff was courteous. Dessert: Flan & Tres Leches were delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2014Orale is a great neighbourhood dining spot. They always accommodate our dining requests and the staff is very nice and prompt with the orders.Special Features:
- Delicious foodJohanna5Dined on 3/28/2014I was there on Friday for my friend's birthday and we all enjoyed the food. The margaritas were amazing. The service was outstanding. The birthday girl even got a tequila shot on the house. We were very impressed on how good the food was. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!KimAlexisVIPDined on 3/15/2014The food at Orale was outstanding! The guacamole was a very small protion served in an ill-designed bowl however... Wasn't able to get out all of the guacamole. The fundio was delicious! The carne tacos was also very tasty! However, I wish I could have mixed and matched my tacos to try other kinds! If I lived in Jersey City, I would come here all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best MexicanDeborahYDined on 3/8/2014The best Mexican I've had in the NYC area, without having to trek into Manhattan. The service was fantastic, & the food so much more sophisticated than the usual burritos & standard refried beans. The pineapple pork taco was truly sublime! We were seated immediately, service was attentive, & the atmosphere was fun & festive without being loud & annoying. Hoping to return very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar crowd seemed to dominateLafeebDined on 2/28/2014The bar crowd seemed to dominate the space. The location of the crowded bar made it difficult to exit the restaurant after our meal.Special Features:
- Great Food, Love the new menu!HungrydudeDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I have been to Orale several times since it opened up last year. We love the food, but our only complaint was that you didn't get very much for your money (i.e. - some of the entrees came with "beans or rice", really?!). But now with their new menu there's really nothing left to complain about! The food is great and now the portions are very generous. You can also get a pretty strong margerita there for not too much green. Great date place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJarretHDined on 2/14/2014Relly enjoyed the experience - very flavorful - The blue demon guac was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mexican foodRatitouDined on 1/11/2014Good selection of mexican classics. Corn tortillas are good, so the rest is butter. Great place to satify your mex craving in Jersey citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Board Game BrunchNicoleVIPDined on 1/5/2014Came for brunch with a good size group (7 people) and had a blast. Most of us partook in the 2 hour open bar for $20, and I will say that service slowed down near the 1.5 hour make. However, when we mentioned this to our waiter, he quickly got us another round and apologized. The food was great, and the atmosphere was fun. Large table made it easier to play board games while we ate and drank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendMattDined on 1/4/2014Not too expensive and everything from the trio-guacomole to the tacos were amazing. Also, drinks are on the cheaper end and food came out very quick. Will 100% be going back again. Great for big groups too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a great findAkcRRRDined on 12/23/2013This place is a true gem! Great food, excellent service, and so close to the Path. Came here with coworkers and ran into friends and ended up making a night of it. Margaritas were strong and perfectly frozen and the guacamole trio was so good we almost licked the bowl! A bit pricey for drinks but a great experience over all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican!CettsVIPDined on 12/7/2013A great addition to the Jersey City dining scene! Awesome guacamole and Margaritas! I recommend sitting in the back room for a quieter and nicer atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Margherita's andDMorrow2Dined on 11/22/2013Excellent Margherita's and delicious Mexican food. Menu is succint and the server was well versed in the best choices!Special Features:
- Late nite dinnerBistromiguelDined on 11/16/2013We were a few minutes late for our 10:30 reservation but the hostess sat us at a great table immediately. The place has a great, young, energy vibe. Our margaritas were served in tall thin glasses, which threw me off because I like to lick the salt off a big rim! But they were garnished with fresh fruit, which was nice. The food was excellent and beautifully presented. Don't look for tons of rice and cheese in these meals; the proportions are much more like authentic dishes you would be served in Mexico. Loved the exposed brick everywhere and the young hip wait staff! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Orale oraleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013Our waiter Stephen was awesome. Food is amazing. I will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, good servicesadesai217Dined on 11/9/2013Very good food, good service and great vibe. Too bad we discovered right before we're leaving Jersey City. I've already recommended it to a few other people.Special Features:
- Not Great For Special OccasionsNeenersDined on 11/2/2013We went for my husband's birthday. I made sure to mention it when I made my reservation, and I made sure to say something to the waiter. The food, as usual, was very good. But there was no 'Happy Birthday' or anything for him, and we had people from out of the country with us to celebrate. It was a let down.Special Features:
- AmazingdancingamandaDined on 10/22/2013I love, love, love this place. The food is outstanding. I had a fabulous dinner here for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to Jersey CitybbferguVIPDined on 10/18/2013We are foodies/wines and new to Jersey City...knocking off recommended restaurants one at a time...this is by far the best and our service from Angel was top notch....enjoy!Special Features:
- Good spot, great service, yumm!!TiffanyStarDined on 10/5/2013Not what I expected at all, but what a great surprise! The menu was packed with traditional and unfamiliar items (which I loved). The plantains and quac were awesome, but I MUST give respect and love to the creator of the BEST Cheese N Mac (not Mac-N-Cheese) it had the most insane amount of cheese that I've EVER had! If you're a lover of this dish, you will be blown away for sure! The "frozen" drink of the day was REAL strong but its supposed to be, burr... On a Friday night it was a bit LOUD the crowd is mixed with younger un-trendy people as well as the neighbor regulars, no need to dress up. I will be back during a less busy time, however the service was still on point. Oh and the brownie dessert was YUMM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had everythingSlabbyVIPDined on 10/4/2013We order the Tres Tacos, Beef and Pork. Both were very tasty. We ordered the spicy guacamole and that was great too. Also, the Queso in a pan, that was good. I thought it was too salty but my girlfriend thought it was great. We tried some marguaritas and they were mixed well. Strong but not too strong. We had Avion tequila so it was smooth strong. Then we had the flan, because it was my girlfriends birthday and they celebrated it with flan, a sombrero and a free t-shirt, who knew. AWESOME!!!! We've been there before but we will go back more often now. Thanks Orale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MereDined on 9/27/2013The food was delicious as were the house margaritas! Service was attentive & helpful & prices reasonable. Glad to have this in our neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed! We wereMidwestPrincesDined on 9/13/2013We were disappointed! We were not expecting the high level of noise suited for a bar,but thought it was to be a restaurant. We left after 5 mins because it was clear we could not hear each other in our group.Special Features:
- Apps & DrinkskrisDined on 9/11/2013Went here for dinner with my girlfriends & was not overly impressed with the food. It was good but nothing spectacular. I would recommend this place for drinks & apps only - not worth it for dinner. On the more expensive side but the quality is not there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was so good thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2013The food was so good that we had to go back for brunch two days later, even though we have a list of 15+ restaurants we want to try in our new neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnGerryVIPDined on 8/23/2013Very pleased with the food and atmosphere of Orale. The interior is really cool as well-colorful yet not too bright. Food was great and was a cross between authentic Mexican and NY-style restaurant. We had a steak sandwich, burrito, oysters, salsa Rojas, and side of Brussels sprouts--everything was fresh and delicious. We had takeout from Orale once before and it was fine but this is the type of food you want to enjoy in the restaurant. They have a lot of tequilas but nothing memorable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Addition to the NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/4/2013Food is good and fresh. Maduros are addictive! Service is friendly and attentive without being obsequious. Been here several times and will keep coming back.Special Features: