201 W. Marion Ave
Punta Gorda, FL 33950Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.opuspg.com/
- Phone: (941) 575-2352
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James King
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Seasonal Entertainment
A word from OPUS Restaurant
OPUS Restaurant - The place where people come for fantastic food, great cocktails and wines, excellent service, and amazing atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
OPUS Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Punta Gorda ›
OPUS Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (16)romantic (9)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- snapper featurefloridafoodiesDined on 10/31/2014Reservations made for 7:30 pm on Halloween, so the downtown area was busy. First time at Opus. The food was superior, presentation artistic, portions very generous, and the service was attentive. However I felt the wine list lacking and the ambiance just ok. I would suggest the restaurant needs to hire an interior designer to warm it up and give it a welcoming feeling. Also the swinging kitchen doors and clatter from the kitchen, well you get the picture.Special Features:
- foodie delightckw1VIPDined on 10/31/2014The chef obviously must have had some great training. The food from starters to entree's looked as good as it tasted. A real treat and unexpected find...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014noise level was high, we had to request bread, when bread finally arrived, spread brought with it left a lot to be desired, asked for plain butter, waitress didn't know if they had any, finally brought some to table. Dinner took one hour to be served. Waitress mixed up bill, there were two couples and she didn't allocate drinks, entrees, etc. to proper couple. Server never offered to refill my ice tea until she brought bill.
- Exceptional menu!paradisepcDined on 9/11/2014We found the restaurant to be inviting and the menu interesting. There is a very nice mix of items on the menu and the presentation when it arrives is a wonderful treat. The skirt steak, pork tenderloin and Mahi Mahi fresh catch were all outstanding. They have a good wine list and a basil martini that is legend. The service was good. There was a mix up in the bill with the other couple getting some of our items and us having some of theirs. The server also added the 18% gratuity that is usually only added for groups of 6 or more! Overall, this is a great place for foodies. We'd like to go back and explore the menu some more.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceJerseyGirlDined on 8/28/2014The new menu offers something for everyone. Our server Justin was very attentive and friendly. Food was outstanding as usual. The skirt steak was cooked perfectly and very tender and the accompanying mushroom risotto was absolutely wonderful. We are never disappointed when we dine at Opus. Looking forward to returning in the very near future.Special Features:
- DJHlive2eatDined on 8/23/2014We knew by the way we were greeted upon arrival that this would be a wonderful dining experience. The food was excellent. The service was excellent. The total experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Naples North!doctorjVIPDined on 8/18/2014Food was completely amazing. Who would guess that in a little town like Punta Gorda, there would be a restaurant that could easily be successful in a bigger town, or even Chicago, where the restaurant scene is very competetive!Special Features:
- Just okaycinfebDined on 8/16/2014The service was very slow. Our dinners were nothing remarkable. I can't say it was horrible but for the money I would not go back.
- Delicious Food!PGnewbieDined on 7/30/2014Nice atmosphere, great service and good food...how can you go wrong? Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch!psincessDined on 7/29/2014We tried the special recommended by server, Susan. It was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the OPUS Restaurant reviews archive.
- Very Nice Presentation2bigeatersVIPDined on 7/12/2014All of our salads and entrees were excellent and served hot and timely. The wine was reasonably priced and service was prompt, up until the clearing of the table. Lovely restaurant, excellent new chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014I had the worst lunch yesterday-chicken flat bread-no goat cheese & the chicken was sparse,grizzly & tough & gross!The new chef sucks!!!!!Special Features:
- Advertised as open Sundays but not.Helliott1609Dined on 6/15/2014Even though their web site said, and still does, that they are open on Sundays, they were closed this past Sunday. There was also a sign on the locked door that said they were open. I emailed the management on Monday and they have not even bothered to reply.
- Summer snoozerDinerDivaDined on 6/13/2014Menu was disappointing--not what we expected from the magazine write-up, but still a nice presentation. Unfortunately, the steak for one member of our party was overdone, and another was not the quality you would expect for the money (too much gristle...). The salmon sat under the heat lamp too long and lost its moistness, but we loved the "kick" of the seasoning. The bisque needed to be a little hotter. We shared the chocolate dessert, which frankly, was unremarkable but pleasant. We look forward to coming back for the "season" menu that is supposed to be a better selection. Still a lovely place. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Punta Gorda Fine DiningjaykaydeeDined on 5/30/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at OPUS with our visiting friend. I ordered the scallops which were one of the most perfect preparation of scallops I've had in a while, while our friend ordered the duck confit ravioli which he said was outstanding. Everything was delicious from the salads to dessert, great wine list and beers (love the Fat Point beers on tap) and the atmosphere was relaxed and quiet. It is the off-season so the dining room was about half full, but that doesn't bother us, we like the attention. On the whole OPUS is a solid gem in a lovely historical downtown area of Punta Gorda, and we recommend it.Special Features:
- Restaurant was CLOSEDDontBothertoCallDined on 5/29/2014We went for our reservation and it was closed. Went down the street to River City and had a nice meal.
- bettylizDined on 5/19/2014Have dined here before.The menu changed and perhaps the chef as well.Although the food was edible the preparation left a lot to be desired Very expensive for the amount of food.Special Features:
- RETRO VIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014IT WAS FINE. VERY GOOD SERVER. THOUGHT THE MAIN COURSE WAS SMALL. IN TERMS OF VALUE THE BREAD WHICH ACCOMPANIED THE SALAD WAS REAL HARD.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceSteveVIPDined on 5/16/2014Opus always eases. They just changed their menu and you could still enjoy the carryover of delightful tastes they were notably tweaked in creating the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- return patronDeeDeeDined on 5/11/2014This is the second time we have been to Opus. The first time was so good I was telling everyone about how wonderful it was. This last time was a disappointment. My duck was rare instead of medium and had to be sent back, the nectarine was raw (last time it was a plum and grilled...it was wonderful ) My husband said that his dinner was a lot more bland than last time we had dinner at Opus. I am not saying it was not good, it was, but their was a difference this time that was not as good as the last time. We will still try it again as one meal that was still good does not make us NOT want to go back. Opus is still very good in their meals. The cocktails were perfect, Service outstanding!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rose123Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day was our fifth visit to Opus and tonite will be our sixth, but definitely not the last. We try to dine at your restaurant when the snow birds have gone home...it is far more inviting when it is not crowded. We are local, so we plan on dining here more often.Special Features:
- OutstandingjaneDined on 4/26/2014I chose this restaurant for my birthday dinner. What a wonderful experience! The atomosphere was quite pleasant, the service was top notch and i especially liked the attire of the servers. My waitress was wearing a simple yet elegent black dress. I had the filet mignon dinner which was very very good and my companion had the lamb which i tasted and it was outstanding! I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Easter DinnerWildstar32Dined on 4/20/2014I went for Easter dinner with my family. The service was great, all the food was delicious and the drinks were perfect. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great service2bigeatersVIPDined on 4/19/2014Everything was very well prepared and beautifully presented. Best of all, all dishes were served hot and freshly prepared and plated. Great, friendly service, as usual.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemMiddy1945VIPDined on 4/15/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for special occasions. It s ideal for meeting our friends from Ft. Myers and Naples. The venue is wonderful and the new chef continues to put out really great dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShorethingDined on 4/13/2014Wonderful service food was incredible. I'm from Atlantic City New Jersey New Jersey, our server was from Point PLEASANT NJ. We had a great time. We'll We'll return on our next visit. Will recommend 2 everyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Open to OPUSDollyDined on 4/12/2014Parking was available close to the resturant. The atmosphere was relaxing. We were impressed with the food presentation. Our choices were delicious, particularly the Scallop entree. There was a wonderful jazz combo providing a broad selection of music. It's a must when visiting Punta Gorda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findEatingoutDined on 4/5/2014This was our first visit to Opus, there were 3 of us for dinner. The starters and entrees were all different, all beautifully presented and very well prepared. Wine list is wide in range with some reasonably priced gems and some special occasion treats. A lovely meal, knowledgeable and pleasant server, nice atmosphere and location. We have already made a return reservation.Special Features:
- Once again, just perfect.YankeeDined on 4/3/2014Again and again we return to Opus to be treated to a wonderful meal at a reasonable price. Mathew provided great service and the food was spot on. My wife had the filet, nearly Chateaubriand, that was tender and tasty and I had divers scallops that were so tasty and tender they melted in my mouth. Another wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Finally A Restaurant in Punta GordaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014Finally a restaurant in Punta Gorda that has a real steak and knows how to prepare it! Food was good service was good my wife and I had a nice experience. Its not an every night with the kids place but its a very enjoyable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal and experience.YankeeDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I took friends of ours from St Michaels, Maryland, foodies and travelers for dinner. He is a vegetarian plus seafood. Our server, Michelina, was friendly, attentive and efficient and catered to us as if we were the only diners in the restaurant. The food was superb, as usual. Jim, the owner, came to our table to chat and we felt his desire for people to enjoy the restaurant and the food. Two years and many visits without a complaint, remarkable. Do your self a favor and go to Opus for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Loved the vertical caprese..niceSusanDined on 3/18/2014Loved the vertical caprese..nice presentation and yummy. I had the snapper which was delicious.Special Features:
- Remarkable Chef's Special Dinner2bigeatersVIPDined on 3/16/2014The new Opus chef put on a wonderfully entertaining and most enjoyable special dinner for a limited number of diners. Each of seven course was personally presented by the chef, with charming explanations of his inspiration. W had a wide variety of food from many regions and cultures, all blended with just the right decorative touches. All was very imaginative and thoroughly enjoyable. The waitstaff was on top of timing and proper presentation. All in all, a first class big-city dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food - My husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014Excellent food - My husband had the tuna tartar and I had the pate for appetizers and we both ordered the swordfish at the recommendation of our servers. We were not disappointed - it was prepared to perfection - and the presentation was very nice! We were told about the special dinner the chef was preparing for 50 guests the following day and would have loved to be included, but unfortunately we had other plans. Hope it was very successful and is something that we will attend in the future. We loved everything from the atmosphere, the sax player contributed to the ambience, the knowledgeable and friendly wait staff and the outstanding food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Birthday DinnerhunterDined on 3/11/2014We came to Opus in celebration of my daughter's 30th birthday - along with her two small children. The staff went over and above (Shel) to see that the kids were happy with their meal - even if it wasn't on the menu. The ambience was perfect - we had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but uneven serviceCanadianFoodieDined on 3/8/2014Have dined at Opus before and loved it. We went there with two other couples. The pasta and seafood mains were delicious but the steak was tough. The restaurant has great ambiance and the saxophone player was really good, providing nice background music. The one disappointment was the service. While our server was exuberant, he was inattentive, forgetting orders for water or coffee, bringing beers but no glasses. We weren't served bread before our meal. These are minor things and could be attributed to a very busy Saturday evening but given the calibre of the restaurant, not really acceptable. We'd definitely go back as everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and Varied Menu2bigeatersVIPDined on 3/8/2014The new chef is doing a great job with very creative, well-presented dishes. Everything was hot, timely served and beautifully plated. Great service from a fun and very competent server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We we're very disappointedDavidDined on 3/1/2014We we're very disappointed in the service and the food. They were very busy but that should not effect the quality of care. The wine was good and that almost made up for everything, but not quite. We have eaten there several Times but it will be a long time before we come back. The "the airline chicken" was Terrible. I will be very hesitant to ever order the "special" again. I get no pleasure I writing this review, but hopefully you will read this and try to do Better!Special Features:
- Our reservation was for 7pm,LaishleyDined on 3/1/2014Our reservation was for 7pm, we wereseatedimmediately, waited for the waiter who was pleasant, but obviously over worked with too many customers! The restaurant was nice, dishes are priced high and all is alacarte. Should be 4 $ signs. The rib eyes are more like breakfast steaks and certainly not tender. Just moved to the area and not sure we would return.
- Creative Presentations2bigeatersVIPDined on 2/27/2014We were once again impressed by the quality and creativity of the entrees, this time for lunch. Top rate downtown restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.