6920 Macleod Tr S
Calgary, AB T2H 0L3Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.open-sesame.ca/
- Phone: 4032590123x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Gary Hennessey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to offer off-site catering for any type of function. Advance notice is required. Please call (403)259-0123 and ask to speak with a manager.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two rooms that can be booked for private groups. Our first room, the Opium Den, is a tented style room that can accommodate up to 20 people. Our second area, the Indigo room, sits perched on a small balcony overlooking the restaurant. This room can seat 8 people. These rooms tend to book up quickly, so advance reservations are recommended.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4032590123x
- Cross Street: Mcleod and Glenmore
- Public Transit: The #81 Macleod Trail stops just in front of the restaurant (both heading North and South) and we are also within walking distance from Chinook Station.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our parking lot is located directly in front of our restaurant. There is also additional street parking on 69th Avenue (on the south side of the building) or Fisher Street (directly behind the building).
A word from Open Sesame
Located on Macleod Trail, Open Sesame offers a wide variety of Pan-Asian cuisine. Our menu features everything from the traditional favorites, to the more personalized design-your-own stir-fry. In addition to our full bar and wine list, we offer an extensive Asian and imoprt beer list. Whether you are joining us for dinner, or just for a snack and a drink, you will find that we have something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Open Sesame reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (69)special occasion (51)romantic (42)fit for foodies (34)great for lunch (26)kid-friendly (18)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (15)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good valueOliviaVIPDined on 9/13/2014I really enjoyed the create your own stir fry. I liked being able to add whatever vegetables and sauce that I wanted. When they say add 4-6 scoops, add the 6 scoops because I only put 4 and it was a little bland, even though I picked one of the spicy sauces. Our server, Cale was very busy, but still managed to do his job well. The brownie dessert was amazing and it was a huge portion, enough for 2! The price of the meal was very good value. Would go back again.
- Great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Food was excellent and service was just as good. A little slow but the dinning room was packed so it was understandable. I'll go back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsAmiDined on 9/6/2014The food was really good but being a large group seemed to throw the waitress off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousNattheCatDined on 9/6/2014Open Sesame has been a favorite of mine for the last 6 years. I love stir crazy because you have the ability to choose your own vegetables, how many you want as well as the sauce. The best part of the meal has always been dessert. I have had almost everything on the dessert menu and my favorites are Peanut Butter Blondie, Banana Won Tons and Chocolate Spring Rolls. I always tell my guests to save room because the desserts are that good. Thank you for the great food, great experience, great service and great prices. I will continue to bring my friends and family here and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting mealFrosterDined on 8/31/2014Create your stir fry was great but instructions were vague and left us feeling lost and unsatisfyed but overall taste was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable, great ambianceChikuChillDined on 8/26/2014It was my 2nd visit and open sesame still attracts you with great ambiance, awesome food at a very reasonable price. As against other restaurants, your food is not weighed for buffet style mangolian grill. Also noodles are not to be topped on your bowl. With the rising prices everywhere in restaurants, open sesame is still a very reasonable choice with plenty of food. We also ordered the appetizer had wild mushroom grill but the stir fry was better choice. Also tried the Asian fusion drinks. Some of very good choices for foreign drinks. Finally, dessert brownie was awesome. Only one complaint, they close at 10 pm. For a nice decor and atmosphere. Wish they open longer. And also there are no windows but you don't need one with decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShezamCanadianScotsmomDined on 8/23/2014What a great place for a fun experience. The do it yourself stir fry bar is awesome and very fresh. The ambience in the restaurant was great too. We ordered starters to share and the arrived pretty quickly. Then the server left our bowls so we could go and pick our veg and sauce at our leisure. The stir fry arrived promptly and was well cooked. On the down side there is no direction on how much sauce is enough, so that is a hit or miss and a table of screaming children nearby was a bit annoying. However well worth a visit. We all enjoyed the food and it is reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, healthy foodbiglifeDined on 8/23/2014Went to this restaurant for a girl's night out. I had mentioned when I reserved, that all three of us were celebrating a birthday, yet no mention of this by staff. Oh well, guess at our age we don't really need acknowledgement. The food was fabulous and nice to see so many healthly choices. Too many small children making too much noise, which detracted from the ambience (plus annoying). Perhaps there could be a family section? Our server was able to answer all of our questions, although she was quite slow in refilling our drinks or asking if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service, but okay foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was okay, nothing spectacular. For such a quiet afternoon our server was not attentive at all.Special Features:
- Always SatisfiedPizzacrazeDined on 8/16/2014I always take my overseas visitors. They never fail to be amazed by the cozy interior, fantastic service and amazing stir crazy creations.Special Features:
- MemorableCupcakeDined on 8/16/2014Open Sesame is always consistently Good! The food is always delicious and great variety. Great selection of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Staff is courteous and very efficient. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outrhshawnDined on 8/14/2014Great variety of choices of different Asian foods. Our hostess, Kaylee, was most gracious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow!BonnieDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to open sesame for years, having vegans in the family, everyone leaves full and happy!Special Features:
- I was a ver nice placeButterfly433Dined on 8/8/2014I really liked it there the waitress was really good and helpful, The food was good i would go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Stir fryLeCatfishDined on 8/4/2014If you like Stir Fry, don't miss this one, a unique in the way of do it yourself. Add what you want, make it as spicy or mild as you want, and you pick the protein, what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Such an amazing place to eat! the food is amazing, staff is amazing. its just a great place to eat. one of my favorite things to eat is the go stir crazy. yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DiningCruisingDinerDined on 7/30/20143 of us ladies went to celebrate our birthdays at Open Sesame. We were seated right away, and the waitress brought us water immediately. She was very helpful in describing some of the food for us, and made some wonderful recommendations. We were served our food within 15 minutes of ordering. The portions were plentiful, the food was delicious, and the ambiance was great. She even took our pictures with all of our cell phones. A chocolatey ice cream dessert was brought to 2 of us celebrating our birthdays with a lit candle, at no charge. All in all we had a great dining experience as usual at Open Sesame!Special Features:
- EATITDined on 7/18/2014I LOVE this restaurant. Always exceptional food and service. This is a restaurant that allowed me to fall into culinary bliss throughout the WHOLE dining experience and all subsequent times. When returning to the west (I now live in Ontario) this is my GO TO restaurant to get the gang together and enjoy each other's company, the food and to have a good time.Special Features:
- Thanks for everythingTylerDined on 6/28/2014The food and selection of foods here are very good. The service is second to none. Waitress was very friendly and helpful, didn't have to wait for any kind of service. We use your establishment for our date nights and haven't been disappointed. We really enjoy the market and the service is very efficient. We will be using your place for more of our date nights. Thank you so much and keep up the fine quality and service.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Overall it was a pleasant experience and I'd recommend this place for the food, ambiance or just a night out. Very professional and nice staff as well.Special Features:
- Delicious, well presented foodhomeloriDined on 6/17/2014I was travelling on business in the area, and decided to try out Open Sesame on my own. They seated me in a nice corner spot (so I didn't feel so isolated). The service was reasonably attentive (took a while for them to ask if I wanted a drink refill), and the meal, Hibachi Steak, was delicious.Special Features:
- Our last timeheidiyycDined on 6/15/2014We have been to Open Sesame a few times in the past year and always enjoyed our meal. This past Father's Day, our family went for a nice, casual supper out and were extremely disappointed with everything we ordered. The spring rolls were super oily, the spicing seemed off on the butter chicken and my husband's halibut (one of the specials) tasted "fishy". While our service and server were great, the rest of the evening was a let down ... especially when the bill came and we had to pay for it all.Special Features:
- VinceDined on 6/14/2014The service provided at the restaurat was very prompt. Very pleasant waiting staff. Overall very happy and that is the reason we come over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fine !!!luv2dineDined on 6/14/2014Food is good. Ambiance is just fine. Service needs to be improved. The server assigned to our table wasn't that attentive. Has to go directly to the cashier to pay our bill. It seems that he was trying to ignore us. Never felt that we are welcome to dine in there. But then a lady server was nice and friendly enough to attend to us while paying at the counter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant restaurant!MmmmmDined on 6/14/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants ever!! The good is always good the ambience is amazing and service is great!! Good prices too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedMustardsauceDined on 6/11/2014Open Sesame is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. I chose to go there yesterday to celebrate my birthday. The food was excellent but I was a little disappointed that nothing was done for my birthday. I told the server and we ordered dessert and nothing was taken off the bill or anything. Definitely won't spend another special occasion there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food,Service and AtmosphereScottyDined on 6/6/2014Staff was very friendly and food was great, it was a surprise to be sitting upstairs in our own private area, our out of town guests loved everything about the Restaurant. They said they will be stopping in next time they are in the are area.ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014I love the food and the ambiance at open sesame. Great for birthday dinners or casual meals. The parking can be a hassle at busy times, since the lot is shared by a group of 4 restaurants.Special Features:
- Average restaurantcanadiancravingsDined on 6/3/2014The food was average. They have a decent selection of food but overall didn't live up to the standards of the other restaurants in the group.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014Food was salty and no taste I had the steak very dissapointed would I go back? NoSpecial Features:
- SkyblueebDined on 5/30/2014Great for the experience and our Chinese friend really enjoyed the selection of spices and sauces that matched her taste buds - something she has found difficult in finding in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014The quality of the vegetables at the stir-fry bar was less than appetizing. Only about half the items were worth putting in my bowl. It was a disappointment. It has been several years since I was last at Open Sesame and it seems to have gone "down hill" On a positive note, the appetizers were good.
- we'll be backBearDined on 5/26/2014we've always enjoyed coming here ... typically we order off the "stir crazy" menu so we get a variety and each person can make their own choices - great selection of items to choose from NOTE: had the salt + pepper calamari appetizer - not what we expected, the batter was heavy, greasy and not really a salt/pepper taste ... probably won't order that againSpecial Features:
- Terrible serviceLchoDined on 5/25/2014We had a large group about 9 people. Most of us got the stir fry. One of us who ordered from the menu Recieved the wrong order and the waitress left us for 20 minutes. They kept telling us we had to leave in 2 hours because of our party size. We were finished way before and were left another 30 minutes with the plates stacked up on the table. My husband and I enjoy going there are were really disappointed by how we were treated when we were trying to celebrate with friends.
- FunDKBurgessDined on 5/23/2014This is a fun place to go especially for a group or family. There is a good variety of choice on the menu and the option to choose your own adventure at 'the market'. The atmosphere is dark and a little noisy but fun and the service is great. The only complaint we had was that we needed a high chair and, because of the way the table was raised, the high chair didn't allow the child to see the top of the table or eat off of the table. There was also no tray on the high chair so we just ended up holing him so that he had a place to eat from. We will definnitely return but likely find a sitter until the baby is old enough to sit at the table with us.Special Features:
- The following 572 reviews are from the Open Sesame reviews archive.
- Not bad..Food4thoughtDined on 5/21/2014Okay food.... But the service was a little slow. Not overly impressed with anythingSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantnew2townDined on 5/20/2014Just recently moved to Calgary and found this gem. Great food, lots of choice, good service!Special Features:
- Heading Downhillgr8ctzVIPDined on 5/18/2014We are regulars at Open Sesame and this time was a huge disappointment. To be told, "It's the weekend, so we're out of a lot of fresh stuff," is completely unacceptable from any restaurant. No salad rolls, that's okay. But the Asian Market looked like there had been a robbery. Many of us stood around waiting for them to replenish and it never happened.
- Love it!VegKimDined on 5/18/2014Excellent food as always. I've eaten at Open Sesame many times and they never disappoint. We often have the stir fry and enjoy choosing our own vegetables and sauces. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014I've been here before this time the experience was just average. Service was nothing to write home about and half the bowls in the market were empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.