6920 Macleod Tr S
Calgary, AB T2H 0L3Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.open-sesame.ca/
- Phone: (403) 259-0123
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Gary Hennessey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are happy to offer off-site catering for any type of function. Advance notice is required. Please call (403)259-0123 and ask to speak with a manager.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two rooms that can be booked for private groups. Our first room, the Opium Den, is a tented style room that can accommodate up to 20 people. Our second area, the Indigo room, sits perched on a small balcony overlooking the restaurant. This room can seat 8 people. These rooms tend to book up quickly, so advance reservations are recommended.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4032590123x
- Cross Street: Mcleod and Glenmore
- Public Transit: The #81 Macleod Trail stops just in front of the restaurant (both heading North and South) and we are also within walking distance from Chinook Station.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our parking lot is located directly in front of our restaurant. There is also additional street parking on 69th Avenue (on the south side of the building) or Fisher Street (directly behind the building).
A word from Open Sesame
Located on Macleod Trail, Open Sesame offers a wide variety of Pan-Asian cuisine. Our menu features everything from the traditional favorites, to the more personalized design-your-own stir-fry. In addition to our full bar and wine list, we offer an extensive Asian and imoprt beer list. Whether you are joining us for dinner, or just for a snack and a drink, you will find that we have something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Open Sesame reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (65)fit for foodies (50)special occasion (46)romantic (40)great for lunch (25)hot spot (19)neighborhood gem (16)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (12)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious dinner.Koala1Dined on 11/20/2014Started with riblings, slightly zippy teriyaki, very good. Enjoyed the Mu shu vegetables with pork, then split the pad thai dinner with a friend. Food was very tasty. Megan our server was very efficient throughout the evening. We finished with chocolate spring rolls, the four rolls were nicely presented, warm and the dipping sauce was delicious. We had a nice booth, comfortable and allowed the three other ladies I was with, to enjoy our conversation. We will be going back as we want to sample all the appetizers next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for birthdaysInfinity56Dined on 11/15/2014We had a group of 7 for a birthday and it was a great experience. We had a table overlooking the main dining room which really helped the special feeling. Food was great, and the first time diners in our party really enjoyed the stir fry choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YikescindxDined on 11/15/2014I have been to Open Sesame many times before and this is the first time I had a reservation. They were accommodating when we came early and were nice enough to allow us a booth. However the food on this particular trip was nothing to be excited about. I took my brother and his girlfriend there for their first time and I am unsure if they enjoyed themselves as the food did not live up to my raving. It was quite busy, but that does not excuse our food being cold on top. They need to be more organized when there is a rush of people because frankly the temperature of the food was unacceptable. I would still likely recommend Open Sesame but I would warn against going at a peak time because they clearly don't know what they're doing in the kitchen when there are more than 4 tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best stir frysHannah82Dined on 11/14/2014I love the stir frys here, you fill up a bowl of veggies and sauce and they stir fry it up with your choice of meat. Very cute little underground restaurant. Make sure you book a reservation on the weekend as they are very busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty taste lessJayDeeDined on 11/11/2014Need better sauce, and to not be so cheap on the vegetables.
- everything was fantabulousaroniusDined on 11/8/2014This place is great for a night out with good company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Went out for dinner with two of my girlfriends, it was our first time eating at Open Sesame, great service and great ambiance...food was simply amazing enough food for two people, I suggest trying the Kung Pao Chicken rice bowl very yummy! Or you can make your own stir fry which is very neat! I would definitely recommend this to my friends and family and we will be back for more!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014I have already recommended this restaurant to friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supper before concertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2014We enjoyed this restaurant because of the food, the service and the decor. I had the butter chicken, my son had the hibachi steak and my husband had the design your own stir fry. Wily,d for sure eat here again.
- Parking and the TableJaypeeDined on 10/23/2014Was very difficult to find parking. I had made an online reservation stating that it's my boyfriends 30th birthday, still nothing was done. Could have at least wished him a birthday like in other restaurants like Montana's, Moxies and what not. I like the food there but not going there on a special occasion.Special Features:
- AwesomeanonymousDined on 10/23/2014Food was great and service was friendly but a bit slow at times. We asked for coffee but was given and charged for espresso without asking for it. (If it was going to be changed we should have been asked first). Would definitely be back.Special Features:
- Not very Asian...groupof4Dined on 10/15/2014This is a concept restaurant. It's fun to put together your own ingredients for dinner... nice selection. The service is good. That's where it ends. The food was not well prepared. If you want Asian go to an authentic restaurant. If you don't want Asian, then find a restaurant with a defined non-asian culinary style. Doesn't leave much reason to visit this restaurant.
- RushedsnackyDined on 10/12/2014The food was good, the ambience was excellent, but we were rushed to finish and leave at 5 pm.Special Features:
- PerfectHallucinationDined on 10/11/2014Our night was fantastic. Service was great, food was excellent, the ambience was perfect. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Date NightLuv4FoodDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I went for a date night and had a nice time. We went about 5:30 so we missed the rush and it was nice and quiet. Good food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Calgary FavoriteHTRFanDined on 10/5/2014Open Sesame has been a Calgary favourite for over a decade. Others have come and gone but this one has remained consistent. It has been fabulous for any occasion. I would suggest getting some advice about creating your own sauce before tackling it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy optionsNikkiDined on 10/3/2014My favourire place to go since I'm vegetarian. Great place to sit and chat with friends. You never feel like they are rushing you out the door. A pleasant place to enjoy a healthy meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place for an evening outrljbDined on 9/26/2014The food was good one complaint the vegetable springs rolls were good just not enough of them for the price . They should give the fabric covered benches a cleaning as there were stains on them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopeTime2dineDined on 9/17/2014The service was poor. There was no explaination as to how to create your own food bowl. When we did ask questions it was like pulling hens teeth. We were trying to understand considering it being our first time there.Special Features:
- Good valueOliviaVIPDined on 9/13/2014I really enjoyed the create your own stir fry. I liked being able to add whatever vegetables and sauce that I wanted. When they say add 4-6 scoops, add the 6 scoops because I only put 4 and it was a little bland, even though I picked one of the spicy sauces. Our server, Cale was very busy, but still managed to do his job well. The brownie dessert was amazing and it was a huge portion, enough for 2! The price of the meal was very good value. Would go back again.
- Great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Food was excellent and service was just as good. A little slow but the dinning room was packed so it was understandable. I'll go back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsAmiDined on 9/6/2014The food was really good but being a large group seemed to throw the waitress off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousNattheCatDined on 9/6/2014Open Sesame has been a favorite of mine for the last 6 years. I love stir crazy because you have the ability to choose your own vegetables, how many you want as well as the sauce. The best part of the meal has always been dessert. I have had almost everything on the dessert menu and my favorites are Peanut Butter Blondie, Banana Won Tons and Chocolate Spring Rolls. I always tell my guests to save room because the desserts are that good. Thank you for the great food, great experience, great service and great prices. I will continue to bring my friends and family here and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting mealFrosterDined on 8/31/2014Create your stir fry was great but instructions were vague and left us feeling lost and unsatisfyed but overall taste was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable, great ambianceChikuChillDined on 8/26/2014It was my 2nd visit and open sesame still attracts you with great ambiance, awesome food at a very reasonable price. As against other restaurants, your food is not weighed for buffet style mangolian grill. Also noodles are not to be topped on your bowl. With the rising prices everywhere in restaurants, open sesame is still a very reasonable choice with plenty of food. We also ordered the appetizer had wild mushroom grill but the stir fry was better choice. Also tried the Asian fusion drinks. Some of very good choices for foreign drinks. Finally, dessert brownie was awesome. Only one complaint, they close at 10 pm. For a nice decor and atmosphere. Wish they open longer. And also there are no windows but you don't need one with decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShezamCanadianScotsmomDined on 8/23/2014What a great place for a fun experience. The do it yourself stir fry bar is awesome and very fresh. The ambience in the restaurant was great too. We ordered starters to share and the arrived pretty quickly. Then the server left our bowls so we could go and pick our veg and sauce at our leisure. The stir fry arrived promptly and was well cooked. On the down side there is no direction on how much sauce is enough, so that is a hit or miss and a table of screaming children nearby was a bit annoying. However well worth a visit. We all enjoyed the food and it is reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, healthy foodbiglifeDined on 8/23/2014Went to this restaurant for a girl's night out. I had mentioned when I reserved, that all three of us were celebrating a birthday, yet no mention of this by staff. Oh well, guess at our age we don't really need acknowledgement. The food was fabulous and nice to see so many healthly choices. Too many small children making too much noise, which detracted from the ambience (plus annoying). Perhaps there could be a family section? Our server was able to answer all of our questions, although she was quite slow in refilling our drinks or asking if we needed anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor service, but okay foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was okay, nothing spectacular. For such a quiet afternoon our server was not attentive at all.Special Features:
- Always SatisfiedPizzacrazeDined on 8/16/2014I always take my overseas visitors. They never fail to be amazed by the cozy interior, fantastic service and amazing stir crazy creations.Special Features:
- MemorableCupcakeDined on 8/16/2014Open Sesame is always consistently Good! The food is always delicious and great variety. Great selection of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Staff is courteous and very efficient. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outrhshawnDined on 8/14/2014Great variety of choices of different Asian foods. Our hostess, Kaylee, was most gracious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow!BonnieDined on 8/9/2014We have been going to open sesame for years, having vegans in the family, everyone leaves full and happy!Special Features:
- I was a ver nice placeButterfly433Dined on 8/8/2014I really liked it there the waitress was really good and helpful, The food was good i would go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Stir fryLeCatfishDined on 8/4/2014If you like Stir Fry, don't miss this one, a unique in the way of do it yourself. Add what you want, make it as spicy or mild as you want, and you pick the protein, what more could you ask for?Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Such an amazing place to eat! the food is amazing, staff is amazing. its just a great place to eat. one of my favorite things to eat is the go stir crazy. yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DiningCruisingDinerDined on 7/30/20143 of us ladies went to celebrate our birthdays at Open Sesame. We were seated right away, and the waitress brought us water immediately. She was very helpful in describing some of the food for us, and made some wonderful recommendations. We were served our food within 15 minutes of ordering. The portions were plentiful, the food was delicious, and the ambiance was great. She even took our pictures with all of our cell phones. A chocolatey ice cream dessert was brought to 2 of us celebrating our birthdays with a lit candle, at no charge. All in all we had a great dining experience as usual at Open Sesame!Special Features:
- The following 590 reviews are from the Open Sesame reviews archive.
- EATITDined on 7/18/2014I LOVE this restaurant. Always exceptional food and service. This is a restaurant that allowed me to fall into culinary bliss throughout the WHOLE dining experience and all subsequent times. When returning to the west (I now live in Ontario) this is my GO TO restaurant to get the gang together and enjoy each other's company, the food and to have a good time.Special Features:
- Thanks for everythingTylerDined on 6/28/2014The food and selection of foods here are very good. The service is second to none. Waitress was very friendly and helpful, didn't have to wait for any kind of service. We use your establishment for our date nights and haven't been disappointed. We really enjoy the market and the service is very efficient. We will be using your place for more of our date nights. Thank you so much and keep up the fine quality and service.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Overall it was a pleasant experience and I'd recommend this place for the food, ambiance or just a night out. Very professional and nice staff as well.Special Features:
- Delicious, well presented foodhomeloriDined on 6/17/2014I was travelling on business in the area, and decided to try out Open Sesame on my own. They seated me in a nice corner spot (so I didn't feel so isolated). The service was reasonably attentive (took a while for them to ask if I wanted a drink refill), and the meal, Hibachi Steak, was delicious.Special Features: