Open Bottle Bistro
5884 Ellsworth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $30 and under
Open Bottle Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.open-bottle.com/
- Phone: 4124508217
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Friday: Lunch 11:30am--2:30pm; Dinner 5pm--10pm
Saturday: 11:30pm--4:00pm ; Dinner 5pm--11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jermey Hickey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details on booking private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Dave DeSimone 4124508217x
- Entertainment: French, Guitar, Flamenco, Tango, and Jazz music.
A word from Open Bottle Bistro
At Open Bottle Bistro your experience starts with fun and intriguing wines from around Europe and beyond. Wines with distinct personalities reflecting authentic traditions and flavors to complement food perfectly. Add creative, modern bistro cuisine with authentic ingredients and tempting flavors from France, Italy, Spain, Portugal as well as Asia and Pittsburgh.. Mix in attentive, friendly professional service aimed at making each visit a pleasure. Choose to sit either in our cozy inside dining rooms and bar, or enjoy our intimate, covered patio complete with landscaped garden and small pond and waterfall. Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Open Bottle Bistro - Best Restaurants in Shadyside ›
Open Bottle Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)great for outdoor dining (41)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (28)romantic (21)great for lunch (14)special occasion (14)great for brunch (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingSupperclub1Dined on 9/13/2014Nice location on Ellsworth. Wine list and menu are lacking. Cheese plate portion was small for four people. The mixed fruit in a small cup on the side was odd. I think grapes on the same plate as the cheese makes more sense. The pineapple salsa on my seafood dish was very skimpy. Two italian wines and the rest french wines. Why not carry some wines from Napa Valley? The atmosphere was bland. It needs more personality. Dust and cobwebs on the light fixtures above the bar is a definite No-no. I think this place has potential but needs improvement.
- Nice place!MichaelDined on 9/12/2014My only suggestion would be to have music playing. It was eerily quiet in the front room. Also, if the front door is open and people are smoking right outside it's not very forthcoming when eating. Otherwise the service was wonderful and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocrityslugdocVIPDined on 9/9/2014This was a very mediocre restaurant. The risotto was like cream of wheat, completely bland. And the chicken was unimaginative, seemed like just tomato paste and pimenton. I cannot recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- There are better placesLeftBankLoverDined on 8/23/2014The service is horrible - 20 minutes to get drinks and a mostly empty bar, never asked if we wanted another drink - we had to flag down the server and ask, server rarely checked on us. One server cut my wife off trying to get to the kitchen! Really, a server jumps in front of a patron while walking down a hallway? The food is under seasoned, poorly executed, and pathetically sloppy plating. Odd menu with a French Spanish mix mash that could work if executed well. This was not. Our server took our appetizer order and put it in only to tell us about the appetizer specials later when she took the dinner order. Did I say the service is horrible?
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Open Table is a great local spot. The food, service and ambience were all outstanding. Go for lunch or dinner and you will be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Really lovely experience, nice staff, good food and wine and terrific outdoor seating area! We will go back when we are back in Pittsburgh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice outdoor dininglebeukVIPDined on 8/15/2014The back patio is fun and lively. The lobster risotto and lamb sliders were delicious, as was the caprese salad.Special Features:
- ChristinaBDined on 8/1/2014I have been to Open Bottle a handful of times. Each time I go, I find something new to enjoy on the menu. Along with great food, the atmosphere is lovely. David, the owner, is always kind and gracias. The staff is wonderful. For me, it was a truly fabulous find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoganDined on 8/1/2014Great new restaurant for Pittsburgh. Very friendly staff. !!! Great outdoor area and everything we ate was very good. We will be back soon. !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service...FoodiegrlDined on 8/1/2014Went here for dinner with friends. The wine list is good. The service here was great. The food was fair. We started with oysters rockefellar with were small and dry. The caprese salad was unimpressive. The menu is small with little flavor. We chose different kabobs with saffron rice, not bad but not worth a second trip.Special Features:
- lovely gardenOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed our visit to Open Bottle Bistro. Staff was incredibly kind and helpful, and the outdoor garden was a lovely setting for a summer evening dinner. Although the wine list was inviting, we ordered house sangria, which was festive and light. The menu had some interesting options. We especially enjoyed the ceviche appetizer (although small, it was very filling), the endive and beet salad, and stuffed pepper. The chicken kabobs got mixed reviews because of the seasonings on the rice (not a favorite). The restaurant ran out of the gazpacho special which was both disappointing and surprising, because they weren't very crowded when we were there. Overall, it was a pleasant evening, and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- Another great night19TKo53Dined on 7/30/2014You just can't beat the back patio at Open Bottle for a really enjoyable evening meal. The staff is great and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014Love that sweetbreads are on the menu. Only place I know in town that has them available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run of the mill wine barlasagnaloverDined on 7/28/2014Two for dinner. I liked: the concept, small plates and several wines by the glass. The bean dip and chorizo appetizers tasted good. The service was excellent. My company did not like the salmon dish. The wines I tried were not quite to my taste. There is nothing wrong with this place. It just did not inspire me enough to try to come back.
- Didn't know...ChryslerDined on 7/25/2014...this place existed until I saw it on Open Table. What a wonderful place and worth every penny we spent. If you are in this area of the city, make this a must stop experience!Special Features:
- Won't Go BackJontan1966VIPDined on 7/21/2014Our waitress was very nice as it was her first night and the quality of the meal was not her fault. First I started with crisp sweetbreads which was good. Then after this it took forever to get our entrees (lamb chop special $46 and filet kabobs $18). As other diners got their food before us even if they arrived later, we were then disappointed when our meat was over cooked. Both came out well done. After a brief disagreement from the owner, he did send the food back and the meat came out cooked properly. However, the meat did not taste good, particularly my wife's filet kabobs. Besides having no flavor, the meat was gristly and tough. The owner did not give us any credit or offer anything to compensate for the long wait.
- Another winner for Dave DeSimonePK12Dined on 7/14/2014Great food and service. Another gold star for management. The venue in Shadyside is so very charming and warm. A perfect evening, with a lovely and nicely diverse menu. Recommend One Bottle Bistro highly. Great attention is given to quality and comfort. The serving staff was well informed and so very eager to accommodate our every wish. What's not to love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille VictoryPghfoodDined on 7/14/2014Our first visit to Open Bottle Bistro was an excellent experience. The accordian music was fun. The food was terrific from the lobster crepes to the Nicoise salad. Dave has found his spot on Ellsworth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Pittsburgh!!LocalfoodieDined on 7/14/2014This was our second time eating here (the first was GREAT!) and this was great as well. It was Bastille Day so they had an accordion player playing music & the prix fixed menu was excellent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 7/10/2014Great atmosphere and very friendly staff. Food is only mediocre. Once that gets addressed this place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad Dave is backnlnnnnnVIPDined on 6/25/2014Loved his previous place, and delighted for his new one. We enjoyed our first visit here, and will be back for many more.Special Features:
- Patio Perfect19TKo53Dined on 6/25/2014We dined on the patio on Wednesday. Twosome. The space is very pleasant and it's one of the very few intimate outdoor spaces in Shadyside. Couple the environ with the food and service, and OBB is a very enjoyable night out.Special Features:
- Oh what at night!JukeboxDined on 6/21/2014This was a perfect evening of food and wine. A casual rather than formal attitude. It was our anniversary. Foie gras that was heavenly and light. Gazpacho and Ceviche that were very tasty. Filet Mignon with Béarnaise sauce and Rack of Lamb that were finely prepared and well executed. A dessert of Crème Brule and chocolate cake was finished by the best cup of coffee in Pittsburgh. Dave DeSimone has knocked it out the park with the bases loaded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal and Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014Thanks to Dave and his staff for a great meal! The food is great and the wine is amazing. A great new addition to the Shadyside restaurant community and a cannot miss restaurant! The patio is a nice touch!Special Features:
- You must go !FAROUKDined on 6/7/2014Excellent cuisine and wine list. David is very hospitable and if you have any question he will guide you through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly fine diningSLL14Dined on 6/6/2014Between the excellent Mediterranean cuisine and the friendly vibe cultivated by Dave, the owner, and his lovely staff, this place is a hit. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Am I in South of France?FAROUKDined on 6/5/2014From the time you enter you feel that you are not in Pittsburgh, PA. We were 3 on our party and all of us thought we were in Europe. The Food and wine list were great. You need to go there to experience the feeling you be disappointed. Talk to David the owner, he is a good listener.i am going back on Monday night with another couple. Bon appetitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first experiencesandyDined on 6/5/2014Waitress was exceptional. Knew and loved the menu and was patient and helpful. Menu was interesting. Food presentation lovely. My husband tried the chicken, which looked lovely and which he described as OK. My dinner of seared ahi tuna was not the best that I have had. It was nicely presented on a bed of rice; but, the rice came cold. The waitress was quick to take it back to reheat. In the kitchen, they were all too willing to make it right, providing a completely new kabob of tuna. The rice was still cold. All in all, the space was pleasant. We may return because of the people and place. The menu was a bit too limited for us and the food just seemed to be too interestingSpecial Features:
- Great new placeLocalfoodieDined on 6/5/2014Great new restaurant with eclectic wine list and nice scotch at the bar. Service was excellent with out waitress's recommendations of wine and food all great. Portions are bigger than you may expect, which wasn't a bad thing/had left overs to take home. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great new additionlebeukVIPDined on 6/4/2014I have eaten two dinners and one lunch here, and all were great. The wines are very nice and well-priced. Dave DeSimone has a winner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thoroughly enjoyedmarciaVIPDined on 5/30/2014lunch outside on a lovely day was great. had crepes ..friend had an omelet also outstanding..Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Open Bottle Bistro reviews archive.
- A big score for ShadysideOftenfordinnerDined on 5/21/2014The Shadyside neighborhood has another restaurant gem! The Open Bottle Bistro provides a wonderful casual dining experience. Our group of 8 was seated immediately and was greeted by the owner. He made an excellent suggestion for a bootle of wine and the wait staff took over from there. The meat plate, cheese plate, and hummus plate with wonderful crispy french bread were delicious and could have been a great late snack by themselves. I chose the steak tartar as my entre and it was superb . All of our entres were very tasty! we highly recommend this fine new bistro to area diners!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising FindNatalieAnnVIPDined on 5/19/2014Pleasantly surprised with our meal here. The restaurant was completely empty when we arrived which worried me. My concerns were put to rest though. John, our waiter, was wonderful: knowledgeable on the menu, specials and wine list not to mention was so friendly! We wanted to try as much of the menu as possible, which gave us a range of fantastic meals and some that could use some more flavor. The Savory Spread App was good (the hummus and bean were delicious) Escargots were okay (could have used a little more flavor). The rest of the meal was fantastic though: french onion soup was amazing, the Meat & Potatoes special was juicy and perfectly cooked and we ended our meal with the Creme Brulee: fresh and delicious. We will no doubt be back!Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The place is new so we thought we would give it a try but the food was poor. Extremely bland and without flavor. The seating was cramped.
- Changed location, still greatMichaelDined on 5/17/2014Open Bottle, originally the Bridge restuarant on the South Side moved into trendy Shadyside with great appetizers and interesting fish etc main. The ris du veau, grille Foie gras were stand outs. Reasonable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good. no customer friendlinessSallVIPDined on 5/17/2014we ate there during grand opening weekend. food was great. but customer friendliness lacking: we had to eat with our coats on and asked mgr to close front door since it was so cold. he nodded and proceeded not to do anything. i had to get up and do it myself. also, we were celebrating a birthday. they had no candles! how very odd and, again, not customer friendly. really too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ellsworth Excellence19TKo53Dined on 5/15/2014Open Bottle Bistro is a great addition to this Shadyside neighborhood. And Dave is a gracious host.Special Features:
- great new neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2014adventurous cuisine, lots of fun appetizers, and "Life Changing Desserts"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New SpotpghdineDined on 5/10/2014First and foremost, our food was delicious. My salmon and my wife's roasted red pepper were gone before we could even consider sharing. The staff was very knowledgeable of wine pairings which brought some education to go along with the meal. They were also very friendly and attentive without hovering. I was impressed to hear that after being open only a short while, our waitress already knew the couple next to us as return customers. We will have to try the outdoor area next time. It looked like a very romantic setting and unique to many of the restaurants we have been to in the area. I would strongly recommend giving this restaurant a try and finding out on your own. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great New Place!PandaDined on 5/2/2014The menu and wine list are thoughfully selected and carefully prepared with a delightful Spanish/Portuguese inclination. Prices and selections vary widely to allow an inexpensive bistro or tapas experience (try a bottle of the vinho verde) or a full, multi-course dinner. The ambience is warm and fun and you can dress it up or dress it down. The flavors are wonderful and run the range from fiery to mellow-ask your waiter. There are always things to criticise in a new place as they work out the kinks----just have another drink and enjoy the evening with the assurance that owner Dave and his cast are doing it right. There is not a lot of seating so reservations are a wise idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.