Opaque - Dining In The Dark
689 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Opaque - Dining In The Dark
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.darkdining.com/
- Phone: 8007101270
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 6:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Michael Whang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Opaque - dining in the dark offers it's unique concept to private groups. Dining in the dark is a culinary adventure which enhances your senses and explores a new sensitivity. All waiters are legally blind and guide guests through a one of a kind experience which is revealing and eye opening.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Uphues 3108954217
- Special Events: We offer the dining in the dark experience for group bookings on-site, or off site on any day per individual booking
A word from Opaque - Dining In The Dark
Imagine that you are recognizing friends by their voice, sounds tell a story, aromas come alive and elegance is felt. In this era of information overload, visual stimulation has reached an all time pinnacle. But imagine, just for an hour or two that you cannot see, that you are abandoning vision in exchange for a new, more stimulating dining experience – this is “Dining in the Dark”. Opaque - Dining in the Dark – will seat you in a literally pitch-black dining room where you will be guided and served by blind or visually impaired individuals that have been specially trained to serve meals in the dark, casually and comfortably offering guidance and reassurance for sighted guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Opaque - Dining In The Dark - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
Opaque - Dining In The Dark reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (29)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nothing but blackMorganDined on 8/23/2014Everyone was very friendly but whatever, the point is that you sit in complete, stark blackness and enjoy your delicious meal served to you by the very skilled vision impaired wait staff. You order before entering the black, and then are led into the darkness which was almost never interrupted. I wish it were a bit more quiet, because you become quickly aware of the conversations going on around you. All of them. The food was delicious. We're already trying to think when we might be able to go back again.Special Features:
- great experience!margeDined on 8/16/2014Great experience, amazing what we take for granted! So funny seeing all the food on our faces! Thank you for a lovely night of food and laughter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun fun fun!epernayDined on 8/15/2014Loved this resto so much we came back a second time. Scary and amazing are two words that come to mind. I highly recommend OpaqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique ExperienceSonnyDined on 7/31/2014Dining in total darkness was a new sensation made enjoyable by a wonderful server. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceGourmetDined on 7/26/2014This place is fabulous. Great service and wonderful food in huge portions. My date is a gourmet cook and she raved about the ahi ahi tuna, the beef entree was cooked to perfection, mashed potatoes and green beans were delicious and the desert wonderful. I had the surprise entree, thought it was beef, it was pork medallions in a wine reduction sauce with cracked pepper, it was superb. Service staff very nice, had Jennifer she was great. Good place for a romantic date, something unique and different. The romance using other senses than sight. Very romantic to rely on touch open communication and private kissing and feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something fun and new to try!TheHopelessRomanticDined on 7/25/2014I went to Opaque on a Friday night. It was a surprise date and we had a blast. The staff was great, the food was wonderful, and the whole experience was unlike anything I've ever experienced. At first, it was a bit strange, but after a while, we were just able to sit back, relax, and lose track of time as we enjoyed our meal. It was a very memorable experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014Dining in the dark is a unique experience that is both fun and VERY dark!! We were all amazed at how our eyes NEVER adjusted to the darkness but it made the evening all that more memorable!! We laughed, ate (some only with their hands) and drank (what others didn't spill from not being able to see). Recommend requesting the "surprise menu"; however, for groups of 3+ I would suggest 3 different options vs 2 the same...it didn't allow for much interest in sharing...Special Features:
- Much better experience than foodISOfinefoodDined on 7/12/2014It was truly memorable to eat in the dark and to be served by a person that lives her life in darkness. The food was fine, but nothing special...and certainly not worth the price tag. My surprise meat entre was dessert dry. The kitchen seems to know that people are there for the experience and will not likely return. They really missed an opportunity to surprise the palate. I expected more for my $100 (per person...3 course dinner only). A clue to the food....Opaque shares a kitchen with Indigo, and Indigo was a ghost town on Saturday night. However, we are glad we went and enjoyed the experience. We just won't go back.Special Features:
- ExcitingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Having dinner without the use of sight is quite amazing. The aroma of the food, the feel of the food, and paying attention to hearing is a experience we should all have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unusual experienceJMinSFVIPDined on 6/19/2014Our server was wonderful, we felt very well taken care of in the unusual venue. In the end, though, we paid a lot for that experience: the food was just a bit better than average and the price rivaled the best restaurants in the bay area. Eating-in-the-dark is an interesting experience, but ultimately it's a gimmick and in the end, the quality of a restaurant comes down to the quality of the food. Pretty good food, very high prices, excellent service and a meal in the pitch dark. If this sounds interesting to you, you won't be disappointed.
- AwesomebillthethrillDined on 6/19/2014Definitely a must-do. Great food, professional and friendly servers who made our special occasion even more special, and a really unique experience. Worth the price!Special Features:
- Incredible!FrankeyDined on 6/14/2014We had an incredible time! Going in I was a bit nervous, but the staff makes you feel very comfortable, given that it is a new experience for many people. The staff was very friendly and the food was incredible! I have recommended this place to multiple people since our date there and will continue doing so! I think that everyone who can should visit this place.Special Features:
- A twist on dinnerNieshDined on 6/11/2014Opaque was fun and exciting and was a great way to spice up your normal dinner and drinks. I recommend ordering the "mystery" menu, where you don't know what the food is you are eating, until it hits your mouth. Because it is so dark you really have to rely on your other sense making it great fun!Special Features:
- So much fun!Food4LyFeDined on 6/7/2014This was such a great experience... If you're adventurous, I recommend the mystery dishes! I didn't even bother with the silverware... I just used my hands. The hostess was very friendly and our waiter was awesome. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT EXPERIENCE.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014Dining in the dark was great! Someone opened a door accidentally and some light came in--which ruined the mystery of knowing how the room was set up--but other than that it was a GREAT experience~Special Features:
- Overpriced Unique DiningjandvDined on 6/6/2014Opaque fell far short of it's $300 price tag. The sweatshirt and flipflop-clad hostess greeted us with heavy smoke-filled breath in a confined corridor after texting a request for us to alter our reservation to better convenience the staff. The second hostess was very rude in front of two parties of guests. Our waitress was wonderful, with good directions, friendly conversation, and good timeliness. The food was lukewarm, perhaps understandably because it was pitch black and our fingers were often in the food. Tasty dishes, though a little over-flavored salad and soup. Salmon was dry. The staff served the wrong wine and didn't inform us of the difference, nor did they alter the bill to reflect the cheaper selection.Special Features:
- Interesting experienceManishaDined on 5/31/2014The food and service is great; but i would recommend the restaurant more for the experience. We felt challenged when it came to getting food on our forks and had to rely on our hands to get the food into our mouths. It was a humbling yet fun experience... especially funny to see food all over us when we walked out :)Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014The food was scrumptious, our waitress, Jennifer, was superb.Special Features:
- Very expensivedeiviz87Dined on 5/30/2014The food was good, the ambience, and the service pretty fine, but definitely crazy expensive! It's not worth it to pay 100$ for the only menu that they have. They should have more options and cheaper prizes.
- Dark diningCurly1Dined on 5/23/2014Great experience with my girlfriend..definitely fun with someone your close with! Food was good, we went with the mystery dinner all the way around. Fun figuring out what your eating. Service was great!Special Features:
- Like a RollercoastercuriouscatDined on 5/9/2014I came here with my friend for the end of the term celebration and it was exciting. We compared it to a rollercoaster ride where it's exciting yet nerve racking at the same time.Special Features:
- Amazing experience!ptizDined on 5/3/2014The "scenic view" was a joke if you didn't catch it. Honestly one of the more memorable dining experiences I've ever had, and I've had quite a few. While you will find yourself making foot-in-mouth comments to your blind server, such as "wow this is so cool (not being able to see)", they seemed OK with it and very understanding. The food was great, but the experience is what its all about. I'm a little picky so I couldn't do too many of the "guess what this is" options, but I did it for the cocktail and dessert and it was fun. It would be very interesting to meet a blind date here.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceSouthernFoodieDined on 5/2/2014This was absolutely a great experience. My partner and I were a bit nervous at first, but the staff were very reassuring and helpful. Food was great and the ambiance was ideal for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- An unforgettable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014From the first step through the curtain, through every delectable bite, Opaque is a dining experience like no other. Exceptional food, outstanding service. Go for the challenge of full mystery, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 621 reviews are from the Opaque - Dining In The Dark reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Amazing experience!!! Very surreal. Would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014It was a unique dining experience with sumptuous food, which included mystery items. Our waitress was great and made the whole experience fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the mysteryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014This dining experience was definitely a wonderful adventure... We definitely enjoyed the food and everything else that came with it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Unique ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2014Great date restaurant! Great opportunity to share a new experience. Regardless of the food it is a really interesting challenge which makes you re-evaluate the way you move and act when at a restaurant. Servers were very friendly and helpful at all times and knew the menu well. Definitely would recommend attending on a quieter evening. I don't think this is something I would want to do with a big group and because you are so reliant on hearing and touch alone, being sat next to a loud party can definitely detract from the experience. The tuna tartar and the beef tenderloin were delicious! Definitely not a one time only experience for me, an evening well spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceAnaPDined on 4/9/2014It was an amazing experience to have the opportunity to eat in the dark. You really do not see anything and you have to deal with the difficulties of eating without knowing where the things are just touching everything. I totally recommend it to people that like to try different things. I went with a friend for his birthday and we had a lot of fun. Our waitress Jennifer was incredible nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEmilySmurfetteVIPDined on 4/5/2014This experience was great and we plan on trying it again. I gave ambiance a 3 since I couldn't see. LolSpecial Features:
- Loved Opaque!SavvyAbbyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Dining in the dark was quite an experience! I would recommend that everyone try at least once. Our server (Courtney) was so attentive and helpful. I was surprised how smoothly the dinner ran considering that we couldn't see a thing. My boyfriend and I chose to try the "mystery" dinners instead of choosing from any of the items on the menu. My boyfriend was served pork and I had swordfish. Both were delicious.Special Features:
- Dining in the dark, group of four!Luv2danceDined on 4/5/2014This was an amazing experience for all four of us! The restaurant was exceptionally accommodating to my friend that is a very picky eater. The waiter was amazing and attentive. The food was outstanding, and not one of us had a complaint. The price is high, but the experience was wonderful. Even though the piece is high, I would recommend it to anyone to try it at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the Dark, Ehh not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014We planned this event with a group of 7. Once there, it seemed the host was a bit confused her self. The bartender did not know how to make any drinks, just order a beer. Once we were showed to our table, the service is very slow. We had a a group and were told we were too loud, which I thought was very rude. You're a dining experience restaurant, with a group paying $99 pp or more what else did you expect? Double check your bill, they over charge, when we called the restaurant back, we were told it was our problem, they delivered the drinks, its up to us to make sure we find it at the table (hello, its in the dark!) definetly a 1 time place, not for repeat occassions.Special Features:
- Dining in the dark opened my eyes!jacobDined on 3/29/2014Katy, our server saw to our every need. She was so nice the entire time and made sure we were comfortable. We had a wonderful meal, and an amazing experience eating in total darkness. After around 10 minutes, I felt totally adjusted and just enjoyed the evening. I had the "mystery" meal, and it was really fun. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to have a fun and adventurous evening with the ability to really just relax and talk with your spouse or friend. AMAZINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the experience, not the foodDGSFDined on 3/28/2014Very cool idea for a dinning experience. The model is smart and it gives opportunity for the visually impaired. That being said, the food was subpar and near tasteless. The ahi tuna was the only tasty item. The main course of pork was editable but nothing to make the taste buds sing. The dessert was so so. Katie, our waitress, was great. Very helpful and pleasant, that was the upside of the evening. I would only return if they worked on their menu items and bolstered the favors! Honestly, not worth the $99 per person.
- Bad food, good expierenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/27/2014It was a one time expire mad, which we enjoyed. However , the food was bland , and the service sucked. They had 4 cocktails to choose from and they made the same one wrong 3 times. I am glad I went once, but in the end I regret how much I paid.Special Features:
- It was an unusual and funSanFranGirlDined on 3/27/2014It was an unusual and fun adventure to dine at Opaque and the food was wonderful. We took our own wine as their corkage fee is very reasonable at $10. Food came out timely, our waitress was terrific and we had no "accidents". The hostess has zero personality, but don't let that deter you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique ExperienceEmzie25Dined on 3/22/2014I will remember this dinner for a long time! Pros: Unique experience, good food, good cause, catered well to my boyfriends gluten free diet Cons: Expensive, nerve racking I would recommend going in a small group and with someone you are comfortable with! I was a bit more nervous than I anticipated and being able to hold my boyfriends hand was very comforting! It is truly completely dark, don't expect to be able to see a thing! I would also recommend the "mystery" option for food. I think the experience of putting something in your mouth without being able to see it or knowing what it is was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an awesome Experience.....WolfpackDined on 3/22/2014Katie, our server was so amazing.......All of the servers there are blind. The food was sooo delicious. It's very hard to eat with a fork, when it's pitch black. Needless to say, we ate with our hands. It was an experience we will never forget. We had a group of 4 with us, celebrating a friends birthday. It couldn't have been more perfect. The only thing that was a shocker, is when we got the bill. Was not expecting to pay that much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014It takes some getting used to at first being in pitch blackness. I felt like the walls were closing in on me but after I tried to focus on the sounds I was able to relax a little bit. My bf on the other hand did not ever really relax and was not comfortable the entire time. PTSD also didn't help either. I think we had to wait a little too long after we were finished to get the check. Overall it was a different experience that I would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.