Opal Restaurant and Bar
1960 Riviera Dr Ste C
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Opal Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.owensdininggroup.com/
- Phone: 8436549070
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Patrick Owens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Opal Restaurant and Bar
Opal Restaurant and Bar is located in Seaside Farms in Mt Pleasant, SC. Chef and Owner Patrick Langdon Owens' second restaurant since creating Langdon's Restaurant and Wine Bar eight years ago. Chef Owens has handcrafted pasta dishes with housemade pasta. The appetizers and entrees feature many local ingredients. Also featuring a wide selection of artisanal charcuterie and cheese.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Opal Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (37)romantic (20)notable wine list (18)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- BillVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food and service was outstanding.Be sure to order one of their desserts. Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Mount PleasantAliceVIPDined on 8/20/2014By far our favorite restaurant in Mount Pleasant. The food, service and ambience are second to none.Special Features:
- ExcellentPksbaPatDined on 8/12/2014The shrimp bruschetta, charcuterie and to the grouper were excellent. Top that off with the great wine and it was an outstanding meal. Great job Opal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great filetJtateDined on 8/12/2014A perfectly cooked filet,rare, with bordelaise sauce and shrimp. Decadent and great. Some homemade gelato to finish.Special Features:
- Glad we came backBradDined on 8/11/2014Hadn't visited Opal in over a year and went spur of the moment this time. Food was superb, apps thru dinner. Service was excellent. Midweek visit and it was extremely quiet in there which is good or bad, depending on what you're looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp to die forCHSFlyerVIPDined on 8/9/2014In a town where good is awesome and shrimp the starting point must have shrimp bruschetta at opal number one by a long way !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the fish of the day-deliciousdinneroutDined on 8/8/2014My husband had the New York strip-we both thought it was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back soon!PeachesDined on 8/7/2014We started with a lovely charcuterie, crap/corn soup and a shrimp on brushetta with cheese. All were scrumptious. The size was so large on the appetizers that we spoke of having apps only next time. For our entrees I loved the grilled grouper, my husband devoured his steak while my son didn't leave a bite of his pork chop. They were all delicious!!! We finished with a cappichino and chocolate cake and lemon cre'me brulee. The lemon was a tad too strong.Special Features:
- NanekiDined on 8/1/2014We love Opal. The cheese and Charcuterie offerings are wonderful, and set the stage for great things to follow. The spicy shrimp bruschetta is delicious, and we can find wines to go with everything we order. It's a good place to bring our out of town guests and even the big city dwellers are impressed.Special Features:
- Best find in Mr. PleasantCjstrowdDined on 7/29/2014Stayed in Mt. Pleasant on business and after reading many restaurant reviews, decided to try Langdon's. Could not get a reservation so Opal's was our next choice. SOOO glad we got to eat here. Absolutely wonderful! One of the best meals I have had in and around Charleston. You have to try the shrimp bruschetta. Incredible as was the fresh catch special. Such a great find! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Another fabulous dinnerWeimloverDined on 7/25/2014We have eaten at Opal at least a dozen times; most recently to celebrate a birthday. Opal is my favorite restaurant in the Charleston area and we have eaten at most of the premier establishments. The food is exquisite from their signature cocktails to the charcuterie, bread, starters and the entres. The specials typically reflect the freshest local ingredients: the peach arugula salad and pan seared grouper were both delicious. Service is excellent without being intrusive. This is our go to restaurant for family celebrations, a romantic dinner for two or when we have out of town guests. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- MLN65VIPDined on 7/24/2014This was our second dining experience at Opal and although the food was good, the service was very slow both times.Special Features:
- Nice find while on vacationWineMavenVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were staying on Isle of Palms and decided to have a nice dinner out. We found the Opal restaurant on Tripadvisor or Yelp. It was listed as having Mediterranean cuisine, but I don't recall anything on the menu like that. The decorum is modern with a clean, new look. It is spacious so tables are not crowded together. Our server was pleasant and knowledgable. My husband is gluten free so she helped us with that. I had a glass of Malbec that was very good. We each had the featured peach salad that was tasty. He had the salmon and I had grouper. Both were presented nicely and had very tasty sauces, probably with more calories than I want to know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as Langdons, more casualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Opal or Langdons, same owners, are two if not among the top few dining experiences you will find while in the Charleston area. If you're a local…lucky you, these two places are a treat. Have eaten here many times….never disappointed and the chef always has new and excited dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjosyDined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent, esp. the corn seafood chowder. The pasta with lamb meatballs was both unusual and very good... high recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to area diningSCInternationalVIPDined on 7/3/2014Opal is very very good. I recommend it and believe it to be one to the top ten restaurants in the Charleston metro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICE. The salads are always a notch above, the fish is excellent, and the pasta dishes are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our out-of-town guests were raving!SandyBDined on 6/21/2014We took our out-of-town guests to Opal, and they loved it as much as my husband and I do! You can't go wrong with their salads and pasta dishes, and they are large enough that my friend and I shared one of each. This is one of the best places in Mt. Pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than downtown?gooseDined on 6/20/2014Our party of 4 ate at Opal on Friday night and downtown at a very expensive restaurant on Saturday night. We all agreed that the food at Opal was the better of the 2 restaurants and much more reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time great foodDiningbirdVIPDined on 6/19/2014Return visit. Always good. New 3 for $24 special outstanding. Even better than restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak Ever!KleverDined on 6/4/2014We were a very motley crew of picky eaters and every one of us was able to eat within our dietary and personal quirks from the varied menu. The husband who "never gets the steak he orders" had a long and earnest conversation with the excellent server, and the next time I looked at his plate it was completely empty. The steak was cooked to his specifications with no quibbles about what the chef wanted to do and was pronounced the best steak he had ever eaten outside of Texas. This is high praise. Of the varied starters, the charcuterie selection was the best choice; although the asparagus soup of the day was creamy and seasoned to perfection. It was surprising to see the restaurant so empty and I would urge locals to visit.Special Features:
- Consistently goodRegularcustomerVIPDined on 6/3/2014This is my fourth visit to Opal and once again it did not disappoint. I started with the local lettuces salad - delicious. Light, perfectly dressed, a true palate-opener for the meal. My entrée was the fish of the day, grouper, with a cauliflower "risotto" and asparagus. The fish was perfectly cooked and the sauce just right, not too heavy but full of flavor. Starting with a cocktail and then a glass of wine with dinner brings the check close to $70, not a quick, casual night out, but to enjoy a delightful and delicious meal, Opal can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best bartenders in mount pleasantHappycamperDined on 5/27/2014I could not have been more impressed with our dining experiences at Opal. We enjoy the friendly and professional company of the bar staff. Flora makes the bar feel so welcoming every time we are there, and she executes classic cocktails perfectly. The food is wonderful- the clams are not to be missed. My parents from out of state dream about the hand made pastas. Thank goodness the Food is paired with outstanding service. It's what always makes our experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Rarely.....AtticusVIPDined on 5/24/2014Very rarely does one find every dish to be so perfectly prepared. We had the most consistently delicious meal we had enjoyed in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome homeislanderDined on 5/16/2014Son came back to town after long time away. Was excited to go back to Opal. Had a great meal. Shrimp bruschetta was wonderful. Duck, filet and charcuterie were all great as usual. Always nice to have consistently wonderful food experience.Special Features:
- Our first visitmnslbearVIPDined on 5/11/2014We were glad to see they were open for Mother's Day. I had heard such good things over the years and we were not disappointed. Each of the dishes was creative and delicious. Based on the great food we had this time, there were several menu items that intrigue us to make a return visit soon. Portions were appropriate. The space was comfortable and the service was great. The whole experience was better than we had hoped and we'll definitely add Opal to our list to frequent more.Special Features:
- Bellisimo!LajhDined on 5/10/2014Service and food outstanding. Nice atmosphere and bar. The mushroom tagliatelle had wonderful flavors. A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably delicious!m5driverVIPDined on 5/9/2014We've enjoyed Opal a number of times - always an excellent experience! House made charcuterie and wonderful cheeses are a great way to start your meal - or easily an entire meal in themselves. I never order steak in a restaurant (too easy to prepare well at home,) but the perfectly medium-rare filet I enjoyed recently at Opal was remarkable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on itjgrizDined on 5/9/2014This was our third trip and every one has had the same components; excellent food, really good service and nice atmosphere. The wine list is not a book of all wines but contains a great variety that compliments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Older GenerationNightoit2Dined on 5/5/2014Service was excellent and food was great. We took another couple for a special night out, and they fell in love with Opals.Special Features:
- Starting to worryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014The food was excellent; I had the beef tartare and the shrimp with whole wheat pasta. The waiter was very nice and attentive until the appetizers came. We then waited over 30 minutes for our main courses without anyone checking on us. This is the second time in a row we have had not great service at Opal. It wasn't overly crowded so I don't see much of an excuse. We are locals and love to see our restaurants busy and successful but there are enough places to go these days that bad service is just not acceptable....Please fix this because we really do love the food!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 392 reviews are from the Opal Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Wow!FoodieVIPDined on 4/30/2014We frequent Langdon's who are owned by the same people, so decided to visit Opal. As with Landon's everything was exceptional. The local lettuces salad was as good as I've ever had and the special Fried Soft Shell crab over a delicious risotto was as well. Everyone else enjoyed their dinners also. Service, the timing of everything was just right. A definite return is in order.Special Features:
- Great experience for first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/28/2014This was my very first time at this restaurant. It was my 11th anniversary and I wanted it to be special. I was a little skeptical about this place because the online pictures didn't do much for them. But it turned out to be the best choice. The food was great, the service was great, and the people was great. They did an amazing job making this night special and I will never forget it....thanks guysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait time despite reservationElizabethVIPDined on 4/18/2014We arrived on time for our 8pm reservation but had to wait at the bar for 45 minutes until we were able to be seated. Maybe a free appetizer, drink or even an apology would have been appreciated. Our food was good but not sure it was worth the wait without any concern for our inconvenience.Special Features:
- Opal is a gem!Need2ExperienceDined on 4/18/2014Excellent service, great ambiance, superb menu with great follow-through. Music was light so you could have a conversation without yelling (Charleston overall has some real issues with the type and level of music played in restaurants). We are trying to hit every Charleston restaurant on our bucket list. We've hit many of the "best" Charleston has to offer and I can say that Opal is in the top 3 "best of the best". Wonderfully done.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/16/2014Fantastic! This will be my new favorite place to go in Mount Pleasant.Special Features:
- enjoyed a great meal with friendsLynneVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is our 3rd time to eat at Opal, we had a great meal. We live right in the Seaside Farms neighborhood so it is great to have such a fine restaurant close-by with free parking. We were dining for the first time with new friends and it was a perfect, intimate setting for that. I had the salmon, everyone else had the triggerfish special - all were wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We finally checked it out...tastyreatsformeDined on 4/4/2014I'd heard good things about Opal from friends and neighbors as we live in Mount Pleasant. Many of our "go to" places were unavailable during Friday night of the Cooper River Bridge Run and we were able to get a table at a decent time here at Opal. We ended up having a delightful meal. We feasted on a shared Charcuterie board of delicious meats and cheeses. Our party enjoyed salads, salmon, swordfish, pasta, and pork chops for our entrees. Everything was expertly prepared and well presented by the chefs and wait staff. The pasta dishes were particularly standout. In a world of pasta and red sauce, these dishes were super creative and just great! We'll go back...its a whopping 3 miles from our house but I'd drive much farther!!!Special Features:
- Consistantly goodKJ6776Dined on 4/1/2014This was our third time at Opal and it did not fail. The food is always delicious. The ambience is quietly sophisticated. The wait staff is knowledgable and patient. We have given it rave reviews and so have all of the friends we have brought with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paper, rock, resturant.JimIslFoodieDined on 3/29/2014So the 4 of us were finishing a wine tasting when the ladies realized we have not eaten. So the painful process of where to eat was discussed and we all decided between 2 restaurants that we had not yet been to so after a quick game if paper rock, scissors we chose Opal. We are very happy with the choice and will put this on the rotation of our approved restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.