1311 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.opaphiladelphia.com/
- Phone: 2155450170x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 1-9pm
Bar:Monday-Wednesday: 5pm-12am, Thursday-Saturday: 5pm-2am, Sunday 1pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please contact us directly for more details.
A word from Opa
Opa is a Modern Greek restaurant and bar located in Center City's Midtown Village neighborhood. The menu features a fresh take on traditional Greek flavors. Featured items from the mezedes (small plates) include herbed keftedes (meatballs) in a ouzo-tomato sauce, octopus and spinach croquettes served with a smokey feta dip. Large plates offer a variety of items such as striped bass and pastitsio. The signature cocktail list and Greek wine selection offer the perfect complement to your meal. Acclaimed designer, Jun Aizaki/Creme, created an alluring setting which includes a striking birch branch canopy.Continued
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Opa reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (33)fit for foodies (32)hot spot (14)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (10)romantic (9)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful Find in Philly -- OpaRGAfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My family was visiting Philly and we wanted a break from Italian and steak restaurants and I found "Opa." We had a delicious dinner that included Greek salad, lamb, swordfish and a fantastic home made baklava for dessert. Service was attentive, helpful and professional and the ambiance was nice. I highly recommend a visit to Opa for a delicious Greek dining experience.Special Features:
- Great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/14/2014It was a great meal, and the service was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, the waiter went way above and beyond for our table. The only downside was that it was incredibly and increasingly loud over the course of the meal. This wasn't the case my first visit, so I was surprised.Special Features:
- 3 from the burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Three of us who don't eat downtown often found this place for dinner. Family style service with dishes and entrees shared. Excellent range of choices, great food. Particularly liked the watermelon and feta salad, and the zucchini chips. A little noisy but attentive and helpful servers. Definitely a good choice.Special Features:
- great food and experienceamazzDined on 8/13/2014We loved the food there! A must have is the grilled octopus and meal is wonderfully balanced with a salad of greens, red peppers and smoked chickpeas. I also loved my red pepper pappardelle with a wonderful fresh and slightly sweet sauce gilled with corn, tomatoes, peas, and red peppers. I would order both again. Everything we had tasted and smelled divine. The zucchini chips with tatziki sauce were also a highlight. Zack was an excellent server. Service was very friendly, quick and efficient. Go to Opa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceJenniferDined on 8/9/2014Great Greek food, friendly staff and fantastic drinks. Excited to go back!Special Features:
- Like an old friendPhillyKeithVIPDined on 8/9/2014I haven't been here for a long time but it was like an old friend you haven't seen for awhile, it was great getting back together. My partner and I split a few apps and a burger and it was just fantastic. One thing that stood out as improved was the service. It wasn't bad before but tonight's service was just great. This is a great place to go with your significant other, by yourself to grab a bite at the bar or even with a group.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnerJesseMLDined on 8/6/2014Even though the place was packed, service was attentive and food came out quickly. We enjoyed each course and didn't feel rushed at all. Portions were appropriate for the price. It is quite cavernous inside making it very loud.Special Features:
- excellent food, excellent serviceFoodophileVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great little neighborhood gem with authentic. Greek food, reasonably priced, and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the positive sideJazzdrumsDined on 7/31/2014The reviews for about have been mixed. We come out on the high side, just short of the raves. The salads are great - the beet and the watermelon feta. I had the Bronzino, which wAs very good. Our waiter, Zack, made hue feel more than welcome.Special Features:
- Nice FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2014I enjoyed the food at Opa, delicious options and the service was great. We had a good time because it was an early dinner, but we could see that people were coming in for the happy hour after we came in. Overall very good experience. I'd recommend it.Special Features:
- Opa! A Great ExperienceTonyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We walked in early for dinner and were greeted by a wonderful hostess who seated us right away. The restaurant bar was busy. We sat near the back and our waiter Rich came over to welcome us. He explained the new menu and gave us time and space to review everything. Drinks were delivered promptly. Apps were flamed cheese, Saganaki and entree's were Chicken Breast and Braised Lamb Shank, cooked to perfection. We could not have asked for a more enjoyable and relaxing dining experience. Rich was professional and timed everything perfectly. Make your reservations now, great food, atmosphere, service and reasonable cost. The restaurant began to fill up nicely and the wait staff was able to keep up with the increased business. Love this place!
- Better Value than Beforemle987VIPDined on 7/21/2014When I first dined at Opa over a year ago, I didn't feel that I received great value for the price I had paid. Now, I would say that the value is definitely there and my group enjoyed the expanded menu. The calamari was great and there appeared to have been more than when I ordered it the last time, the gyros were flavorful, and the extra sides of tzatziki went wonderfully with the oregano fries. Will come back soon.Special Features:
- Get your Greek fixnessDined on 7/20/2014We recently went on our honeymoon to Greece and needed our fix of Greek cuisine so we headed to Opa. In addition to having delicious fresh Greek-fare--they also have great Greek wines (that haven't been easy for us to come by) and Mythos beer! The food is very good and the portions are huge. Always love going back here! You can't go wrong with the sampler platter, watermelon salad, greek salad, and of their fish!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualapopnjVIPDined on 7/19/20144th time there - excellent food , great service and great prices - will not go wrongSpecial Features:
- Some hits...room for improvementFoodisfunVIPDined on 7/18/2014The garlicky lemon hummus was one of the best I've ever had. I knew a traditional Greek salad does not include greens and asked for some with my salad which our waiter graciously obliged but said there would be a $2.00 cover. No problem. What arrived contained about 12 small arugula leaves in a great square bowl of predominantly tomatoes - beautifully red +ripe - wonderful feta and a minuscule amount of purple onion and sampling of cucumbers soaked in an inch of dressing. It was delicious, however, an imbalance of tomato to other ingredients and abundance of dressing. The octopus was very good albeit a tad tough. Our waiter wisely offered to remove the surcharge for the insulting ration of lettuce. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Not a Place for KidsEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/16/2014great if you're 20-something or want to be, but not a good fit for children. dined there with our 12 year old who overheard candid and inappropriate conversations due to tight, intimate seating. our waiter was great - very attentive, as were the runners who brought our orders. waiter did get distracted and didn't deliver a second round of cocktails. hostesses seemed indifferent. had a reservation but arrived early, and were told that we would have to wait until the time of our reservation to be seated even though there seemed to be spaces open.Special Features:
- Opa!MargaretVIPDined on 7/3/2014What a wonderful restaurant! Best chicken dish I've had in a long time and the service was outstanding. Thank you, Zack!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014I went hear with my family. The food was amazing. I highly recommend the lamb flatbread. Service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was great and the server was especially nice and helpful. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- delightfulcoateddiDined on 6/18/2014we went for lunch so it was quiet but service was great, food was delicious. very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Poor Serviceacn42Dined on 6/16/2014Food was really good. However my waiter was very bad. He never came to check on us except for ONE TIME when he refilled our water. I got a beer when I first got there, but I was never checked on, or asked if I wanted another. I would hope their other waiters and or waitresses are more assertive in their job. Its not hard to take 5 seconds in a NON BUSY RESTAURANT to say "you guys ok? Need anything?"
- Good food and good vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/11/2014It was rainy so could not sit outside but they do have an outdoor patio at the back. 5 in our group and we all liked the food. Lamb shank was particularly good.Special Features:
- great food and serviceapopnjVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is the 3rd time ging to Opa and every time i find a great dining experience. The food is perfect and the price is very reasonable. When you go there, you have to order the Watermelon salad with the citrus vinegrette. I can say the salad is phenomenal and a great way to start the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitorPhillyphoodphanDined on 6/6/2014Had a friend visiting from out of town and took her for a great dinner at Opa! Service was a little slow but servers were knowledgeable and friendly. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseRollymonDined on 6/6/2014I had been to Opa one other time for dinner and it was OK. This time our server informed us that they had a new menu (and I think a new chef). He had some good suggestions for dinner. We did small plates including Calamari, grilled Octopus and Lamb flatbread. All were delicious. We sat inside but next to the open windows and it was a beautiful night weather wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnackerdoodleVIPDined on 6/4/2014We got warning from someone at the restaurant the it would be "vibrant" because of Center City Sips and that was fine. The service was excellent and the appetizers were lovely; however we were disappointed with some of the food options. Vegetable skewers served over a pile of French fries was certainly not what we expected. I'll save this spot for drinks and aps at the bar.Special Features:
- tiny portionFranVIPDined on 6/3/2014went here for lunch and ordered the grilled calamari, listed under seafood, but really this should have been listed as an appetizer. I expected a main course and got a ridiculously small portion. Although the bottom of the menus lists a special deal for $15 of soup or salad and entree, when I asked the waiter about that he said the "entree" portion would be even smaller! i asked for bread and waited what I considered to be way too long as they weren't baking it, just throwing it on the grill. that being said, the white bean soup and the calamari dish with the smoked chickpeas were both very tasty.Special Features:
- Sort of a let-downChanterelleVIPDined on 5/27/2014After looking forward to some Greek Cuisine we found the offerings here were disappointing. The octopus was good but the portion was very small, one small tentacle sliced thinly. Soft shell crab was okay but served on a jumble of uncomplementary flavors, red pepper puree, fingerlings and sliced grape tomatoes. I ate only the crab. The other dish had mushy rice with salty boring pork slices on top. A drinking group at the bar was very loud so it was hard to have a private chat.
- Simple yet goodHK4diningDined on 5/19/2014The food was simple, yet good, also true for the presentation. Mussels were delicious, especially the creamy sauce with herbs. Flat-bread was crispy and yummy, though the grilled octopus was not as crispy on the outside , nor as juicy, as I had imagined. After dinner drink and dessert list was impressive for the restaurant of its size. Metaxa Ouzo turned out to be a nice pick, with its bit sweetness and plenty of aroma. The server, Jesse, was very attentive, but not overbearing. The decor is Greek to me (no puns intended!) We were sitting next to the bar, and the young crowd could not contain their joy after work. As such the noise level was high and we had to raise our voice for our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2014Missing the 4 choices the Pikilia Plate under Appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors, and servicerootytoottootDined on 5/11/2014Our group of five ordered about seven items to share. We really loved each dish. The kitchen paced the arrival of each item so we could enjoy the flavors before the next came to the table. It was all timed perfectly, and we made it to our afternoon concert on time, as promised by our server Zach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealKateVIPDined on 5/10/2014We ate at Opa on Saturday night and all of us had outstanding meals. The pork tenderloin dish was amazing! Our waiter was friendly, attentive, and helpful. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- SolidjammyDined on 5/9/2014Hummus. Saganaki. Spinach Croquettes. Lamb flat bread. Veal meatballs. Friendly service. We both were happy and full at the end of the meal. Will be back, especially given the reasonable price tag.Special Features:
- Just mehRingoesNJDined on 5/7/2014Food was average. Chef would not swap out fries for vegetables . . .really?Special Features:
- More a bar with tablesPhillyDinerDined on 5/3/2014Although OPA serves food and has tables the central location of the bar is loud and unavoidable. We sat at one of the tables but bar patrons continued to brush past the table and practically brush items off the table. Granted it was derby day but the bar crowd made it difficult for our server to service the table. Food was ok for the most part although one member of our party had pasta that was served in a relatively small metal bowl, the pasta was burnt on the bottom. I had high hopes but we will not be in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- DisappointingLovePhillyDiningDined on 4/26/2014I had high hopes based on other reviews, but unfortunately they were not met. Whereas it could have been a romantic ambiance, the overflow at the bar meant people were standing against (literally up against) our table through most of our meal. The menu seemed promising but everything we ordered was very salty and the lamb had a lot of gristle. Disappointed, we won't be back.
- Great intro to finer Greek diningjetnj1961Dined on 4/26/2014We had our daughter in for a visit this weekend and having eaten at numerous places over the last few months we chose Opa to help her get a taste of Greek cuisin. From the moment we arrived everything was great. Having eaten here later in the evening once before we knew to reserve early to avoid the louder drinking ctowd. Food was exceptional as was Zahl our swrver. We will do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNikkiwDined on 4/25/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the city! The squid is to die for! Everything is really good but I always order extra squid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 374 reviews are from the Opa reviews archive.
- Glad We Tried ItAuntieBDined on 4/21/2014My niece and I came here for dinner before an event at the Kimmel Center. We were warmly greeted and our server (Jesse?) was friendly and attentive. We started with some dips and warm pita bread before progressing to some of the most delicious entrees I've had lately, which we shared, and they do encourage sharing. Everything was presented in a timely manner so we never felt rushed but still made it to the Kimmel in good time. I will definitely come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opa experienceweb2094Dined on 4/12/2014This was a great find with excellent food and a great selection of beers on tap. However our portions were extremely small - more like a tapas bar. We had not been prepared for that. No wonder the prices were so reasonable. However the food is excellent and I still recommend this restaurant. I had the grilled octopus and my companion had the stuffed oregano pasta. The small portions would not be an issue for the feta-stuffed burger which looked normal size. We had dessert later - the amount of food was actually perfect for me, but not my 20 year old son.Special Features: