1311 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.opaphiladelphia.com/
- Phone: 2155450170x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 1-9pm
Bar:Monday-Wednesday: 5pm-12am, Thursday-Saturday: 5pm-2am, Sunday 1pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please contact us directly for more details.
A word from Opa
Opa is a Modern Greek restaurant and bar located in Center City's Midtown Village neighborhood. The menu features a fresh take on traditional Greek flavors. Featured items from the mezedes (small plates) include herbed keftedes (meatballs) in a ouzo-tomato sauce, octopus and spinach croquettes served with a smokey feta dip. Large plates offer a variety of items such as striped bass and pastitsio. The signature cocktail list and Greek wine selection offer the perfect complement to your meal. Acclaimed designer, Jun Aizaki/Creme, created an alluring setting which includes a striking birch branch canopy.Continued
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Opa reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (16)hot spot (16)special occasion (13)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (11)romantic (8)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Disappointing second visitCdkatzVIPDined on 9/12/2014After being thoroughly impressed a few months prior with friends, I decided to come back for date night. Granted this was during restaurant week; however, our service was slow and poor and the food was not on point. The swordfish and lamb mains were tasty however the sides and the previous courses lacked seasoning and flavor. I teeter back-and-forth on whether I would recommend or visit this restaurant again...
- MarkMarkybarkDined on 9/12/2014REALLY terrible noise level. Also very busy so there was an unfortunately long time span between courses. That being said the food was WONDERFUL but I doubt I will ever return on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but still hungry.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great food, not as much as I would have wanted for the price. Had wonderful experience with server, just disappointed he did give us a heads up. For example, I ordered icecream from the restaurant week menu...the 2 small scoops of iecream were gone with one bite.Special Features:
- restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2014I found the food mediocre. Beet appetizer so much vinegar that I could not eat and the greens were limp and swimming in oil.. Very dried out spinach, feta croquettes. Finally lamb chops requested medium rare, were 1/4 inch thick and well done. The homemade ice creams were best part. I would not return. The servers were very accommodating and pleasant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our server, Zack, was attentive and let us have a leisurely dinner. We had the restaurant week menu and the food was amazing. The octopus was definitely the highlight. The lamb chops were also one of my favorites. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularGuyDined on 9/7/2014Went to Opa for restaurant week on Sunday and was very happy with the meal and service. I had the chicken orzo as a main course and my wife had the lamb chops and both were moist and delicious. I also tried the cold melon soup and that must be an acquired taste. I'd skip that in the future. My wife had a salad that probably contaned about two whole tomatoes. Service was excellent but the restuarant was almost empty while we were there. Defnitely would go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumyumyumDined on 9/6/2014Cool place with delicious food. Spinach croquettes were excellent. Great cocktails too. Was very loud when I went for dinner at 8:30 on a Saturday. Service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but not great.mle987VIPDined on 9/5/2014Their gyros and tzatziki are consistently good, but the fish special my friend ordered was nothing special and the shrimp pasta my other friend ordered was subpar. I always leave feeling like the value is not great for the money you spend here. Especially if you attempt to order the horiatiki salad while sitting in the beer garden (a handful of tomatoes drenched in 1/2C olive oil and 4 bites of chicken added for $3 extra?! Never again). Will only visit again because of the outdoor beer garden behind it as an after dinner activity.Special Features:
- Smoked chickpeas and ZachmangiandoDined on 9/4/2014take the top two spots on our very long list of things we loved about this place. Accommodating hostess, who tried to find us a table away from the noise (impossible task, though); spicy feta; water served without ice; even an effort to give us some clues to the secret to smoking chickpeas. So: fabulous food and staff, with the gold medal for Zach: an efficient, courteous, friendly, knowledgeable waiter who gave us exactly the right amount and kind of attention we needed to make the evening great. The noise is a problem, but probably only for the aging and curmudgeonly, which is sometimes us. An outstanding restaurant experience. We would love to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!BetsyDined on 8/30/2014I love Greek food and Opa did not disappoint. My friends and I shared many of the appetizers and some of the smaller entrees. Everything was delicious. I particularly liked the spicy feta dip, watermelon and feta salad, and the tiropita. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!momgoinoutDined on 8/24/2014The waiter was amazing. We weren't real familiar with Greek food but, our server Zach was informative made a few suggestions. The food was amazing. Thanks Opa for a great Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is such a beautiful atmosphere and then the staff and food just make it that much better. Don't forget to check the gem hidden in the be of the place. Amazing!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Find in Philly -- OpaRGAfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My family was visiting Philly and we wanted a break from Italian and steak restaurants and I found "Opa." We had a delicious dinner that included Greek salad, lamb, swordfish and a fantastic home made baklava for dessert. Service was attentive, helpful and professional and the ambiance was nice. I highly recommend a visit to Opa for a delicious Greek dining experience.Special Features:
- Great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/14/2014It was a great meal, and the service was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, the waiter went way above and beyond for our table. The only downside was that it was incredibly and increasingly loud over the course of the meal. This wasn't the case my first visit, so I was surprised.Special Features:
- 3 from the burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Three of us who don't eat downtown often found this place for dinner. Family style service with dishes and entrees shared. Excellent range of choices, great food. Particularly liked the watermelon and feta salad, and the zucchini chips. A little noisy but attentive and helpful servers. Definitely a good choice.Special Features:
- great food and experienceamazzDined on 8/13/2014We loved the food there! A must have is the grilled octopus and meal is wonderfully balanced with a salad of greens, red peppers and smoked chickpeas. I also loved my red pepper pappardelle with a wonderful fresh and slightly sweet sauce gilled with corn, tomatoes, peas, and red peppers. I would order both again. Everything we had tasted and smelled divine. The zucchini chips with tatziki sauce were also a highlight. Zack was an excellent server. Service was very friendly, quick and efficient. Go to Opa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceJenniferVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great Greek food, friendly staff and fantastic drinks. Excited to go back!Special Features:
- Like an old friendPhillyKeithVIPDined on 8/9/2014I haven't been here for a long time but it was like an old friend you haven't seen for awhile, it was great getting back together. My partner and I split a few apps and a burger and it was just fantastic. One thing that stood out as improved was the service. It wasn't bad before but tonight's service was just great. This is a great place to go with your significant other, by yourself to grab a bite at the bar or even with a group.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnerJesseMLDined on 8/6/2014Even though the place was packed, service was attentive and food came out quickly. We enjoyed each course and didn't feel rushed at all. Portions were appropriate for the price. It is quite cavernous inside making it very loud.Special Features:
- excellent food, excellent serviceFoodophileVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great little neighborhood gem with authentic. Greek food, reasonably priced, and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the positive sideJazzdrumsDined on 7/31/2014The reviews for about have been mixed. We come out on the high side, just short of the raves. The salads are great - the beet and the watermelon feta. I had the Bronzino, which wAs very good. Our waiter, Zack, made hue feel more than welcome.Special Features:
- Nice FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2014I enjoyed the food at Opa, delicious options and the service was great. We had a good time because it was an early dinner, but we could see that people were coming in for the happy hour after we came in. Overall very good experience. I'd recommend it.Special Features:
- Opa! A Great ExperienceTonyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We walked in early for dinner and were greeted by a wonderful hostess who seated us right away. The restaurant bar was busy. We sat near the back and our waiter Rich came over to welcome us. He explained the new menu and gave us time and space to review everything. Drinks were delivered promptly. Apps were flamed cheese, Saganaki and entree's were Chicken Breast and Braised Lamb Shank, cooked to perfection. We could not have asked for a more enjoyable and relaxing dining experience. Rich was professional and timed everything perfectly. Make your reservations now, great food, atmosphere, service and reasonable cost. The restaurant began to fill up nicely and the wait staff was able to keep up with the increased business. Love this place!
- Better Value than Beforemle987VIPDined on 7/21/2014When I first dined at Opa over a year ago, I didn't feel that I received great value for the price I had paid. Now, I would say that the value is definitely there and my group enjoyed the expanded menu. The calamari was great and there appeared to have been more than when I ordered it the last time, the gyros were flavorful, and the extra sides of tzatziki went wonderfully with the oregano fries. Will come back soon.Special Features:
- Get your Greek fixnessDined on 7/20/2014We recently went on our honeymoon to Greece and needed our fix of Greek cuisine so we headed to Opa. In addition to having delicious fresh Greek-fare--they also have great Greek wines (that haven't been easy for us to come by) and Mythos beer! The food is very good and the portions are huge. Always love going back here! You can't go wrong with the sampler platter, watermelon salad, greek salad, and of their fish!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualapopnjVIPDined on 7/19/20144th time there - excellent food , great service and great prices - will not go wrongSpecial Features:
- Some hits...room for improvementFoodisfunVIPDined on 7/18/2014The garlicky lemon hummus was one of the best I've ever had. I knew a traditional Greek salad does not include greens and asked for some with my salad which our waiter graciously obliged but said there would be a $2.00 cover. No problem. What arrived contained about 12 small arugula leaves in a great square bowl of predominantly tomatoes - beautifully red +ripe - wonderful feta and a minuscule amount of purple onion and sampling of cucumbers soaked in an inch of dressing. It was delicious, however, an imbalance of tomato to other ingredients and abundance of dressing. The octopus was very good albeit a tad tough. Our waiter wisely offered to remove the surcharge for the insulting ration of lettuce. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Not a Place for KidsEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/16/2014great if you're 20-something or want to be, but not a good fit for children. dined there with our 12 year old who overheard candid and inappropriate conversations due to tight, intimate seating. our waiter was great - very attentive, as were the runners who brought our orders. waiter did get distracted and didn't deliver a second round of cocktails. hostesses seemed indifferent. had a reservation but arrived early, and were told that we would have to wait until the time of our reservation to be seated even though there seemed to be spaces open.Special Features:
- Opa!MargaretVIPDined on 7/3/2014What a wonderful restaurant! Best chicken dish I've had in a long time and the service was outstanding. Thank you, Zack!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014I went hear with my family. The food was amazing. I highly recommend the lamb flatbread. Service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was great and the server was especially nice and helpful. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- delightfulcoateddiVIPDined on 6/18/2014we went for lunch so it was quiet but service was great, food was delicious. very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Poor Serviceacn42Dined on 6/16/2014Food was really good. However my waiter was very bad. He never came to check on us except for ONE TIME when he refilled our water. I got a beer when I first got there, but I was never checked on, or asked if I wanted another. I would hope their other waiters and or waitresses are more assertive in their job. Its not hard to take 5 seconds in a NON BUSY RESTAURANT to say "you guys ok? Need anything?"
- Good food and good vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/11/2014It was rainy so could not sit outside but they do have an outdoor patio at the back. 5 in our group and we all liked the food. Lamb shank was particularly good.Special Features:
- great food and serviceapopnjVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is the 3rd time ging to Opa and every time i find a great dining experience. The food is perfect and the price is very reasonable. When you go there, you have to order the Watermelon salad with the citrus vinegrette. I can say the salad is phenomenal and a great way to start the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town visitorPhillyphoodphanDined on 6/6/2014Had a friend visiting from out of town and took her for a great dinner at Opa! Service was a little slow but servers were knowledgeable and friendly. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseRollymonDined on 6/6/2014I had been to Opa one other time for dinner and it was OK. This time our server informed us that they had a new menu (and I think a new chef). He had some good suggestions for dinner. We did small plates including Calamari, grilled Octopus and Lamb flatbread. All were delicious. We sat inside but next to the open windows and it was a beautiful night weather wise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnackerdoodleVIPDined on 6/4/2014We got warning from someone at the restaurant the it would be "vibrant" because of Center City Sips and that was fine. The service was excellent and the appetizers were lovely; however we were disappointed with some of the food options. Vegetable skewers served over a pile of French fries was certainly not what we expected. I'll save this spot for drinks and aps at the bar.Special Features:
- tiny portionFranVIPDined on 6/3/2014went here for lunch and ordered the grilled calamari, listed under seafood, but really this should have been listed as an appetizer. I expected a main course and got a ridiculously small portion. Although the bottom of the menus lists a special deal for $15 of soup or salad and entree, when I asked the waiter about that he said the "entree" portion would be even smaller! i asked for bread and waited what I considered to be way too long as they weren't baking it, just throwing it on the grill. that being said, the white bean soup and the calamari dish with the smoked chickpeas were both very tasty.Special Features:
- Sort of a let-downChanterelleVIPDined on 5/27/2014After looking forward to some Greek Cuisine we found the offerings here were disappointing. The octopus was good but the portion was very small, one small tentacle sliced thinly. Soft shell crab was okay but served on a jumble of uncomplementary flavors, red pepper puree, fingerlings and sliced grape tomatoes. I ate only the crab. The other dish had mushy rice with salty boring pork slices on top. A drinking group at the bar was very loud so it was hard to have a private chat.
- The following 385 reviews are from the Opa reviews archive.