1311 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.opaphiladelphia.com/
- Phone: 2155450170x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 1-9pm
Bar:Monday-Wednesday: 5pm-12am, Thursday-Saturday: 5pm-2am, Sunday 1pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available. Please contact us directly for more details.
A word from Opa
Opa is a Modern Greek restaurant and bar located in Center City's Midtown Village neighborhood. The menu features a fresh take on traditional Greek flavors. Featured items from the mezedes (small plates) include herbed keftedes (meatballs) in a ouzo-tomato sauce, octopus and spinach croquettes served with a smokey feta dip. Large plates offer a variety of items such as striped bass and pastitsio. The signature cocktail list and Greek wine selection offer the perfect complement to your meal. Acclaimed designer, Jun Aizaki/Creme, created an alluring setting which includes a striking birch branch canopy.Continued
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Walk-in seating is available at the 24 seat bar and offers the full menu.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Opa reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (17)hot spot (17)special occasion (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (12)notable wine list (11)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- VivaldiVivaldiVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had an excellent experience. We arrived 15 minutes before the restaurant started serving dinner, so they suggested we wait out back in the beer garden. That turned out to be fun, they called us to our table at exactly our reservation time, the food was superb, and the service was outstanding. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceScrambleDined on 10/14/2014Seated immediately and offered drinks and menus. We ordered appetizers, a Greek salad, and our main courses. The waitress asked if I wanted the salad as an appetizer or with dinner, and I said appetizer. About 20 minutes later, I had to ask the hostess to check on our appetizers since we had not seen the waitress or our food since ordering. Same poor service later trying to get the check. The Kalamata Olive tapenade was pretty salty but the pita tasty. The Beet salad was good; surprisingly sweet dressing. We also had the Greek salad (many tomatoes with a few feta chunks & some capers & cucumber slices) and the Veal Chop. The veal was tender and tasty, though it only had a tablespoon or so of mashed potatoes, plus some steamed broccolini.Special Features:
- veganmomveganmomDined on 10/9/2014Our service was a bit spotty at first, but improved as our meal progressed. My son really enjoyed his meal of lamb shank--it was a good-sized portion, which made my teenager happy. I was glad to see some vegan options and thought my vegetable skewers were good, but I'd have preferred it if they came with a grain rather than French fries (farro would have been a delightful pairing with the skewers), and I was still hungry after three rather small skewers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for drinks, not foodUrbandinerDined on 9/27/2014The ambience and service were great, food was disappointing. The appetizers were very small portions, and not impressive at all. Would go again just for drinks.
- nice ambiance, food was just OKaanycVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our small group tasted about 10 plates, and the food was definitely hit or miss. interesting greek wines, and the service was good. we enjoyed the experience overall, but not enough to warrant coming back.Special Features:
- Inaurgural NightOPACLUBDined on 9/20/2014A GNO that was a huge success. The ambiance was perfect, the service was excellent and the all the different foods that were ordered; FANTASTIC! Not one complaint. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/20/2014Greek food authentic, waiter was knowledgeable. Prices decentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner42Dined on 9/19/2014Dining at OPA was ok, only. I expected more and was somewhat disappointed. The food was good but I doubt I will go back. Portions, even for restaurant week, were very small. Service, although friendly enough, was very, very slow. It took over 3 hours for us to get our complete dinner; there was about an hour in between each course. Added to that, a dinner mate and I both ordered the same dessert and the waiter brought out a dish which extra dessert on it for us to share - NOT ok with me.
- MaryDined on 9/19/2014Thank goodness for Restaurant Week. I never knew this place existed. Glad I tried it. Everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing second visitCdkatzVIPDined on 9/12/2014After being thoroughly impressed a few months prior with friends, I decided to come back for date night. Granted this was during restaurant week; however, our service was slow and poor and the food was not on point. The swordfish and lamb mains were tasty however the sides and the previous courses lacked seasoning and flavor. I teeter back-and-forth on whether I would recommend or visit this restaurant again...
- MarkMarkybarkDined on 9/12/2014REALLY terrible noise level. Also very busy so there was an unfortunately long time span between courses. That being said the food was WONDERFUL but I doubt I will ever return on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but still hungry.ck369633256Dined on 9/10/2014Great food, not as much as I would have wanted for the price. Had wonderful experience with server, just disappointed he did give us a heads up. For example, I ordered icecream from the restaurant week menu...the 2 small scoops of iecream were gone with one bite.Special Features:
- restaurant weekrositaVIPDined on 9/10/2014I found the food mediocre. Beet appetizer so much vinegar that I could not eat and the greens were limp and swimming in oil.. Very dried out spinach, feta croquettes. Finally lamb chops requested medium rare, were 1/4 inch thick and well done. The homemade ice creams were best part. I would not return. The servers were very accommodating and pleasant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Our server, Zack, was attentive and let us have a leisurely dinner. We had the restaurant week menu and the food was amazing. The octopus was definitely the highlight. The lamb chops were also one of my favorites. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularGuyDined on 9/7/2014Went to Opa for restaurant week on Sunday and was very happy with the meal and service. I had the chicken orzo as a main course and my wife had the lamb chops and both were moist and delicious. I also tried the cold melon soup and that must be an acquired taste. I'd skip that in the future. My wife had a salad that probably contaned about two whole tomatoes. Service was excellent but the restuarant was almost empty while we were there. Defnitely would go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumyumyumDined on 9/6/2014Cool place with delicious food. Spinach croquettes were excellent. Great cocktails too. Was very loud when I went for dinner at 8:30 on a Saturday. Service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but not great.mle987VIPDined on 9/5/2014Their gyros and tzatziki are consistently good, but the fish special my friend ordered was nothing special and the shrimp pasta my other friend ordered was subpar. I always leave feeling like the value is not great for the money you spend here. Especially if you attempt to order the horiatiki salad while sitting in the beer garden (a handful of tomatoes drenched in 1/2C olive oil and 4 bites of chicken added for $3 extra?! Never again). Will only visit again because of the outdoor beer garden behind it as an after dinner activity.Special Features:
- Smoked chickpeas and ZachmangiandoDined on 9/4/2014take the top two spots on our very long list of things we loved about this place. Accommodating hostess, who tried to find us a table away from the noise (impossible task, though); spicy feta; water served without ice; even an effort to give us some clues to the secret to smoking chickpeas. So: fabulous food and staff, with the gold medal for Zach: an efficient, courteous, friendly, knowledgeable waiter who gave us exactly the right amount and kind of attention we needed to make the evening great. The noise is a problem, but probably only for the aging and curmudgeonly, which is sometimes us. An outstanding restaurant experience. We would love to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!BetsyDined on 8/30/2014I love Greek food and Opa did not disappoint. My friends and I shared many of the appetizers and some of the smaller entrees. Everything was delicious. I particularly liked the spicy feta dip, watermelon and feta salad, and the tiropita. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!momgoinoutDined on 8/24/2014The waiter was amazing. We weren't real familiar with Greek food but, our server Zach was informative made a few suggestions. The food was amazing. Thanks Opa for a great Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is such a beautiful atmosphere and then the staff and food just make it that much better. Don't forget to check the gem hidden in the be of the place. Amazing!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Find in Philly -- OpaRGAfoodieDined on 8/16/2014My family was visiting Philly and we wanted a break from Italian and steak restaurants and I found "Opa." We had a delicious dinner that included Greek salad, lamb, swordfish and a fantastic home made baklava for dessert. Service was attentive, helpful and professional and the ambiance was nice. I highly recommend a visit to Opa for a delicious Greek dining experience.Special Features:
- Great but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/14/2014It was a great meal, and the service was INCREDIBLE. Seriously, the waiter went way above and beyond for our table. The only downside was that it was incredibly and increasingly loud over the course of the meal. This wasn't the case my first visit, so I was surprised.Special Features:
- 3 from the burbsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014Three of us who don't eat downtown often found this place for dinner. Family style service with dishes and entrees shared. Excellent range of choices, great food. Particularly liked the watermelon and feta salad, and the zucchini chips. A little noisy but attentive and helpful servers. Definitely a good choice.Special Features:
- great food and experienceamazzDined on 8/13/2014We loved the food there! A must have is the grilled octopus and meal is wonderfully balanced with a salad of greens, red peppers and smoked chickpeas. I also loved my red pepper pappardelle with a wonderful fresh and slightly sweet sauce gilled with corn, tomatoes, peas, and red peppers. I would order both again. Everything we had tasted and smelled divine. The zucchini chips with tatziki sauce were also a highlight. Zack was an excellent server. Service was very friendly, quick and efficient. Go to Opa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceJenniferVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great Greek food, friendly staff and fantastic drinks. Excited to go back!Special Features:
- Like an old friendPhillyKeithVIPDined on 8/9/2014I haven't been here for a long time but it was like an old friend you haven't seen for awhile, it was great getting back together. My partner and I split a few apps and a burger and it was just fantastic. One thing that stood out as improved was the service. It wasn't bad before but tonight's service was just great. This is a great place to go with your significant other, by yourself to grab a bite at the bar or even with a group.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnerJesseMLDined on 8/6/2014Even though the place was packed, service was attentive and food came out quickly. We enjoyed each course and didn't feel rushed at all. Portions were appropriate for the price. It is quite cavernous inside making it very loud.Special Features:
- excellent food, excellent serviceFoodophileVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great little neighborhood gem with authentic. Greek food, reasonably priced, and attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the positive sideJazzdrumsDined on 7/31/2014The reviews for about have been mixed. We come out on the high side, just short of the raves. The salads are great - the beet and the watermelon feta. I had the Bronzino, which wAs very good. Our waiter, Zack, made hue feel more than welcome.Special Features:
- Nice FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2014I enjoyed the food at Opa, delicious options and the service was great. We had a good time because it was an early dinner, but we could see that people were coming in for the happy hour after we came in. Overall very good experience. I'd recommend it.Special Features:
- Opa! A Great ExperienceTonyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We walked in early for dinner and were greeted by a wonderful hostess who seated us right away. The restaurant bar was busy. We sat near the back and our waiter Rich came over to welcome us. He explained the new menu and gave us time and space to review everything. Drinks were delivered promptly. Apps were flamed cheese, Saganaki and entree's were Chicken Breast and Braised Lamb Shank, cooked to perfection. We could not have asked for a more enjoyable and relaxing dining experience. Rich was professional and timed everything perfectly. Make your reservations now, great food, atmosphere, service and reasonable cost. The restaurant began to fill up nicely and the wait staff was able to keep up with the increased business. Love this place!
- Better Value than Beforemle987VIPDined on 7/21/2014When I first dined at Opa over a year ago, I didn't feel that I received great value for the price I had paid. Now, I would say that the value is definitely there and my group enjoyed the expanded menu. The calamari was great and there appeared to have been more than when I ordered it the last time, the gyros were flavorful, and the extra sides of tzatziki went wonderfully with the oregano fries. Will come back soon.Special Features:
- Get your Greek fixnessDined on 7/20/2014We recently went on our honeymoon to Greece and needed our fix of Greek cuisine so we headed to Opa. In addition to having delicious fresh Greek-fare--they also have great Greek wines (that haven't been easy for us to come by) and Mythos beer! The food is very good and the portions are huge. Always love going back here! You can't go wrong with the sampler platter, watermelon salad, greek salad, and of their fish!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualapopnjVIPDined on 7/19/20144th time there - excellent food , great service and great prices - will not go wrongSpecial Features:
- Some hits...room for improvementFoodisfunVIPDined on 7/18/2014The garlicky lemon hummus was one of the best I've ever had. I knew a traditional Greek salad does not include greens and asked for some with my salad which our waiter graciously obliged but said there would be a $2.00 cover. No problem. What arrived contained about 12 small arugula leaves in a great square bowl of predominantly tomatoes - beautifully red +ripe - wonderful feta and a minuscule amount of purple onion and sampling of cucumbers soaked in an inch of dressing. It was delicious, however, an imbalance of tomato to other ingredients and abundance of dressing. The octopus was very good albeit a tad tough. Our waiter wisely offered to remove the surcharge for the insulting ration of lettuce. Overall, a good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Not a Place for KidsEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/16/2014great if you're 20-something or want to be, but not a good fit for children. dined there with our 12 year old who overheard candid and inappropriate conversations due to tight, intimate seating. our waiter was great - very attentive, as were the runners who brought our orders. waiter did get distracted and didn't deliver a second round of cocktails. hostesses seemed indifferent. had a reservation but arrived early, and were told that we would have to wait until the time of our reservation to be seated even though there seemed to be spaces open.Special Features:
- Opa!MargaretVIPDined on 7/3/2014What a wonderful restaurant! Best chicken dish I've had in a long time and the service was outstanding. Thank you, Zack!Special Features:
- The following 396 reviews are from the Opa reviews archive.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014I went hear with my family. The food was amazing. I highly recommend the lamb flatbread. Service was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was great and the server was especially nice and helpful. I will definitely come back.Special Features: