Oolite Restaurant & Bar
1661 Pennsylvania Ave
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Oolite Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ooliterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3059075535x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday and Saturday: 6:00pm - Midnight
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 5:00pm
You are invited to the Oolite Bar, with or without reservations, during all our operational hours.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kris Wessel
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: There are two beautiful private dining rooms. The smaller is for 10 guests and feature a white leather banquette with a flat screen television. The larger seats up to 40 guests and has a projector screen available.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Scottolini 305-907-5535x
- Special Events: Happy Hour Every Day 4 pm to 7 pm
All draft beer $3 House cocktails $5 House wine $4 All Bar Food Menu 50% off
Call Oolite Restaurant for details 305 907 5535
A word from Oolite Restaurant & Bar
Oolite received 3.5 stars from the Miami Herald for Chef Partner Kris Wessel's original concept of Healthy Regional Fare inspired by the food culture and bounty of product in the region of Florida, the American South, the Caribbean and South America. Created as a healthy based cuisine, the entire menu is gluten free and protein specific. Oolite's kitchen technique is diverse using modern and time tested approaches to production including slow cooking, poaching, steaming, smoking, grilling, dehydrating and preserving. The seasonal menu allows a continual creative approach, always identifying with locals on favorite food use and recipes. Oolite is housed in a Frank Gehry building, just two steps off Lincoln Road, and adjacent to the Convention Center and the Fillmore Theater. Oolite's Craftsman interior design references mid century American with hand crafted wood tables, wainscoting, glass and pure Oolite limestone. The Artisanal wine and beer program was singled out for originality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Oolite Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
Oolite Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (30)great for lunch (23)romantic (21)special occasion (21)hot spot (16)great for brunch (16)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Gluten free heaven!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014The entire restaurant is gluten free!!! I wanted to order everything on the menu. Dessert was my favorite part because I could actually have it, not to mention is was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DO YOURSELF A FAVOROpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014The food was awful. The dishes are misrepresented on the menu. It was not fresh. Everything left a stale citrus flavor on your palate. We had 7 dishes and everyone of them lack balance of flavor. I live two blocks away and, being on a gluten free diet I was excited. everything is a'lacarte. Don't let the "under $30" fool you. They even charge $7 for bread. It's been two days now and I'm still upset. What a total waste of time and money. I actually had to come home and cook dinner after we left.
- NOT fit for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/29/2014It was not bad, but there are many better restaurants in South Beach for the price. Unless you have a limited diet, skip Oolite.
- Ahhh ... He did it again !!MarcoVIPDined on 9/28/2014Chef Kris Wessel is (once again!) serving-up delicious foods. Existing fans (of Kris Wessel) will be pleased, and those who have never dined @ Wessel's prior restaurants owe it to themselves to try Oolite!Special Features:
- My new favorite!MiamiBrokerDined on 9/26/2014Excellent service with lots of creative, healthy and delicious options. Some tasty drink specials too! Can't wait to try their brunch. Prices were very reasonable for what you get. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much sauceProfessorDined on 9/26/2014The first time I went to Oolite I loved the food. The chef is wonderfully creative and the food tastes fresh and is creatively spiced. However, as with the Red Light, the dishes have way too much sauce. The Barbecue shrimp and the grouper were drowning in sauce that I tasted unfortunately through the middle of the night. Next time, I'll instruct the waiter that I'd like much less sauce. The restaurant is beautiful and the seating comfortable and the food priced fairly. Before our friends arrived, I ordered a martini, which came in a champagne glass. Please buy the proper drink glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014Very nice food. Safe restaurant for costumers with sensitivity to glutenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch As Good As DinnerJamesBrownInMiamiVIPDined on 9/22/2014I had the burger and mac n cheese. The Oolite salad was a perfect compliment to the lunch entree. Excellent service and quality, full of taste, gluten free dishes.Special Features:
- Great menu and food!RTapiaDined on 9/16/2014Amazing selection of Latin American varieties and mixes! The place is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Way To BrunchJamesBrownInMiamiVIPDined on 9/14/2014Oolite offers two brunch deals for customers to choose from. Excellent gluten free brunch options that are full of flavor and satisfy. The French toast with glazed bananas really hit the spot. Bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Mary's really make this an affordable brunch with gilt free options. Anais was our waiter. He has waited on me several times and is always on top of the service. The attentive service and amazing food makes this the new place to be for brunch on Sundays. Oh - and don't miss the smooth sounds from the live band. What a great new way to spend Sundays on South Beach, just off Lincoln Road. Plenty of parking available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, overwhelmed kitchenCeejayellDined on 9/13/2014The food was great -- I had the brussels sprouts that everyone online had raved about, and was equally pleased. But we waited for our entrees for over an hour. Three times we flagged down members of the restaurant's staff to ask about our meals; 3 times we were told the kitchen was just very busy and that they'd be out shortly. But it turned out that they'd lost our ticket entirely. We didn't receive our entrees until two hours after we were seated. To Oolite's credit, they did almost everything to make up for it: free drinks, free food, a discounted bill. But the restaurant wasn't busy when we arrived, and the food we ordered wasn't time-consuming. It seemed like the place was just overwhelmed. A shame, because the food itself was lovely.Special Features:
- Special place for those in the knowYummyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Gluten free, and delicious. This is one of the few healthful dining options anywhere near Lincoln Road. Chef Wessel is an excellent chef, with highly creative ideas, coupled with the personal commitment he has made to assure the entire menu is gluten free. Now I personally do not need to eat gluten free and do somewhat miss a bit of bread with some of the menu items, but I nonetheless enjoy what Chef does within this self-imposed constraint and the other health-oriented choices he has made. I have dined here twice and plan to return with some regularity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharonluvs2dineDined on 9/13/2014Service was excellent. Food was very good. Modern, very clean restaurant one short block just north from Lincoln Road, so much less foot traffic. Prices much more reasonable than Lincoln Road for high quality well prepared food. I would certainly recommend this restaurant. Self parking garage on 17th street is only $1 per hour. The restaurant is definitely a plus to the Lincoln Road experience.Special Features:
- Always AmazingPamelaVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful gluten free fresh sumptuous selections. You cannot go wrong with your choice, whether the poached grouper, jackfruit swordfish, corn spaghetti with tomato basil the entrees are top notch. I also cannot fail to mention the delectable sudes, Brussels sprouts, out of this world arepa, corn conch chowder. I am getting hungry just talking about it. Service is amazing. Prices are very reasonable. Oolite is all it should be and more.Special Features:
- Interesting Dishes...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014But most of the them failed to deliver. The duck dish was just regular, the brussel sprouts were nothing special, and where was the fried green tomato in the arepa?!?!?!
- Delicious Gluten-free food!!!JcgirlVIPDined on 9/7/2014This place is gluten free friendly! They offer so many surprisingly yummy selections! Eggs Benedict, chicken & coconut rice, Huevos Rancheros...all amazing!!! And I heard their dinner is even better. Cozy nice atmosphere with the best music and service was spectacular. Great management (Frank) accommodated our brunch party of 8 and we were greatly pleased with our service Anis. Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great go to placelove2eatDined on 9/6/2014So it on the list of Miami Spice restaurants and decided to give it a try. The food was good but not over the top. What impressed me was the prices including wine which seemed very reasonable for South Beach. The service was excellent. Will be back.Special Features:
- Always goodOnlythebestDined on 9/1/2014First time for lunch! Good menu and great food as usual with Chef Kris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverfoodloverVIPDined on 8/31/2014It was quiet the night we went but service and food were excellent. Loved that the chef was playing with different flavors and textures. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Oolicious!PamelaVIPDined on 8/29/2014I am pleased to write a review for this delightful new restaurant. I cannot say enough good things about it. First off there is a $1.00 an hour garage across the street, and it is off the craziness of Lincoln Rd. The chef/owner is a South Beach legend and is delivering gluten free healthy food. The menu is fit for foodies . BBQ shrimp, a fried green arepa, grouper poached in coconut water, conch and corn chowder, key west lime chicken, the list goes on and you will get hungrier. The wine selections are pleasing with selections from Spain and Italy to compliment the meal. The service is helpful, friendly, and welcoming! This is South Beach how it should be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found you at lastfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were sad to hear Red Light Little River closed because we loved the food. I am happy to report that the chef has opened in tbhis b eautiful space across from the Miami Convention Center. And, minus the sewage smell and the seedy neighbourhood. The barbecue shrimp and the fried green tomatoes were delish. The menu is gluten free. Call me old fashion but I like real bread. Otherwise yum! welcome back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComelonDined on 8/27/2014The mango mojito was not that good, the waiter immediately removed it and out of the bill. the food was trendy (read healthy) and excellent over all wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- 3.5 Star Review??RedSoxFanVIPDined on 8/27/2014After reading the Herald's glowing review of Oolite i was eager to go and take some out of town guests there this week. The room is beautiful and the food is good but by no means is it 3.5 Stars, plus the service which I would include in a 3.5 star review was comical. Server was so disinterested and seem to be bothered that he had to work. Food runners were good and knowledgeable. Still trying to understand Miami Food Scene and now I am questioning food critics here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional palomillajefftDined on 8/24/2014my daughter and I decided to try oolite thanks to a favorable review in the Miami herald and we are glad we did. my grouper was excellent as well as the apps and desserts. my daughter raved about her palomilla, saying it was the best she had in ages. I recommend oolite and I will be going there again soon.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceJamesBrownInMiamiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Gluten Free options by Chef Kriss make this new South Beach hot spot the new place eat. Food was tasty and our waiter was excellent. Flank steak on steamed spinach, mac and cheese, brussel sprouts with goat cheese, and mango coconut cream pie were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happy about this openinggentlecriticDined on 8/23/2014Excellent fresh healthy food uniquely prepared with knowledgeable staff serving impeccably. Everyone should support this restaurant so that it has staying power.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Completely Gluten-freePassingthroughVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our party was surprised at how flavorful everything was considering the entire menu was gluten free. You can tell a bit with the desserts, but overall was delicious. The sauce in the BBQ shrimp was one of a kind. Thank you Brit for the high-touch service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly underwhelmedsamshimiDined on 8/22/2014Bus boy provided great service and constantly filled my tables water. That was the only good thing about the restaurant. Food was mediocre - came here for the Miami Spice event. The waiter was aright. The host brought our desserts - but brought the wrong one. I informed him of this and he returned with the correct order and slam/threw it on the table. My dinner guests weren't pleased. Will not be returning or recommending to anyone.
- OoliteSamplingSBDined on 8/21/2014Upscale, trendy and great location. Service was excellent and although I came at lunchtime, would be great to come back in the evening for wine with friends. Food presentation was over the top but lacked flavor. My palate was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clever name, clever conceptfinickyfoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014I can't say that the execution of the concept was perfect, but I give points for trying. The decor was great, loved the design and the ambiance. Our waiter did a fair job at service, it was just that his demeanor was so horrible, we didn't want him anywhere near us. You know the type, very dour, practically throws the plates on the tables and walks away sulking. I thought I was in a twilight movie. But I don't let that kind of attitude bother me. The food was fine, nothing spectacular, but good. Desserts were different. I took a risk and ordered the avocado cheesecake and it was a risk not worth taking. Not sweet at all, the nutty crust was quite good, but the avocado was a runny mess with little flavor.Special Features:
- Great space for great foodflyingpigDined on 8/17/2014Healthy, locally-obtained and delicious food served in a beautiful restaurant. The BBQ shrimp is a must have. The Miami Spice program here is excellent, and anyone should try the avocado key lime tart on a almond/pepita crust. Service is attentive without being cloying, and the bar seems like a very beautiful place to meet friends before dinner. The location is also very convenient, next to one of SoBe's largest garages so parking is not an issue.Special Features:
- Miami Spice winnerMR1216VIPDined on 8/16/2014Tried Oolite Saturday evening and we were thoroughly pleased with our Miami Spice choice. Kris Wessel came up with a very creative and delicious, gluten free menu. Appetizers and entrees on the Miami Spice and regular menus were all interesting. There were 4 of us so we sampled from both menus. Desserts need some work. The avocado mousse cheesecake was not "pretty' and my friend said needed some chips to go with it. The summer mango pie was a bit too gelatinous. The chef's chocolate fruit dessert of the night was a banana peanut butter mix, which was the best the of choices. Would definitely go back. Service was great.
- Gastro experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Having known the style of the chef for over a decade, I can say the idea has only become better now offering gluten free dishes combined with style and imagination that will surprise your taste buds. The ingredients are pure enough to eat daily without the worries of busting your gut yet remain exciting and unique. The staff was well managed for a newer establishment. The parking garage is right there also, so if drive over, it's easy access. An all around great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real finddrgordon2Dined on 8/10/2014What a great experience on our first visit. Oolite has a completely gluten-free menu, a rarity in South Florida, and a real find for those who have Celiac or are gluten sensitive. However, don't think that this is diminished dining for the rest of us. This is a top notch, top tier restaurant with a creative and regionally crafted menu, an attentive staff, and an ambitious setting. This is going to be our new haunt on South Beach!Special Features:
- Creative and lovelyProfessorDined on 8/8/2014Excellent food and caring service, this new Lincoln Road restaurant is one that will beckon whenever I'm in South Beach. Prices are good too. The room is beautiful And seating comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally interesting healthy foodCherVIPDined on 8/8/2014I want to try this entire menu! In love with all the vegetarian and gluten free options. The bbq shrimp with roti amazing. The coconut corn conch chowder is also delicious. I have really enjoyed everything I've tried in my 3 visits. The kale cauliflower dish too salty for my taste. My only complaint :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great add for Lincoln Road areaYummyVIPDined on 8/3/2014This strip is notable for touristy restaurants. Oolite is not geared for tourists. It is real food with a healthful orientation. We were dining on Miami Spice, so our meals were a relative bargain, but we plan to return in season on the full price menu (and probably again while Miami Spice is in effect). My wife enjoyed the BBQ Shrimp (threatening to drink the leftover sauce from the bowl) and the poached Grouper. I thoroughly enjoyed my coconut conch chowder and the orange tamarind duck. The desserts (mango pie and avacodo "cheesecake") were both quite good but their lightness betrayed the fact that they are vegan preparations. Still an all, we are already contemplating our return visit.Special Features:
- BlandOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014I'm a local and went to Oolite with some out of town friends. I was very disappointed with the quality of the meals. I had the Lechon (pork) and it was tasteless and appeared to have been boiled! It had large amounts of rubbery white fat and lacked any seasoning or taste. My wife had the Palomilla (Cuban style) steak and as my food it was lacking seasoning and taste. We did enjoy several appetizers and the staff was very attentive but the price minus the quality of our meals does not equate to a return.
- Healthy Dining in SoBeSoBeconciergeVIPDined on 7/17/2014This great new restaurant was awesome! The food was wonderful and the cocktails are great too. Its a shame that it was so slow that day. The service was wonderful and he had great recommendations for the menu. The menu is based on healthy seafood and everything is good!!Special Features:
- Sooo...Good!!OnlythebestDined on 7/12/2014Oolite has great ambiance , the service was impeccable, and with Kris Wessel in the kitchen you can never go wrong! We had the goat and skirt steak, it was delicious! We can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.