Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
1225 Johnston Road
White Rock, BC v4b 3y8Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: CAN$30 and under
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.onyxsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 6045420334x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 7 days/week from 4:00pm till late
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Luke Exelby
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The premise behind Aquamarine is simple: love for superior cuisine, and genuine hospitality.
In addition to our fine food and friendly, polished staff, we provide a full array of additional catering services. This includes items such as china, silverware, and stemware; customize centerpieces, table dressings, flower arrangements, stages, tents as well as entertainment and valet services.
For more info please visit www.aquamarinecatering.ca
- Private Party Facilities: Want to feel like a celebrity. Well the dining room @ Onyx gives you just that. We offer our venue for all kinds of private functions whether it be posh executive parties, special birthday celebrations or any reason to eat drink and be merry.
- Private Party Contact: Heather Cochrane 8779251450
- Special Events: The best place in White Rock for your Birthday Party! Come and enjoy our relaxed service in a fun and vibrant room.
- Cross Street: Pacific
- Public Transit: Across the street from restaurant use transit stop for bus 354 (Vancouver) and C52 (White Rock).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Want to come to White Rock but hate the parking. Not to worry at Onyx. With ample FREE parking in the surrounding area or if you prefer, enjoy the VIP lifestyle and use our private parking around back and come through kitchen.
A word from Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock
Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse, a place where familiar classics are re-spun into new favourites. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our taem, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock - Best Restaurants in White Rock ›
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)romantic (12)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Nice diningDonnaDined on 9/6/2014Had really good time and waiter was very nice. Food was goodSpecial Features:
- LuvSushiDined on 9/5/2014What a difference from Port Moody. This one is Small & quaint. Our server Thomas was fantastic!! The food was wonderfully delicious. Nothing like Port Moody!!! Lobster Mac & Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I say.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Tempura BACON, OMG it was so good!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Onyx is a great place to get an outstanding steakhouse meal without having to go downtown Vancouver. The best part of the meal are the side dishes you can order to go with your a la carte steak. Our server was friendly, attentive and knowledgable. This was our third visit to Onyx and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Great SteaksOldenoughDined on 8/27/2014Going to a steakhouse that is celebrating lobster season is kind of like going to a wine bar during Octoberfest. We compromised and had a lobster appetizer and steaks as the main. As always (we've been 4 times), we had the bacon and almond brussel sprouts. If only mom had made them that way. The overall opinion, the lobster wraps were average (not bad), but we expected excellent. The steaks and brussel sprouts did not disappoint. Aged 40 days, these steaks were 5 star. Great wine selection, and priced about where you would expect. We'll come again.Special Features:
- BoobalooDined on 8/19/2014Service was deplorable....were seated immediately, then forgotten about for 20 minutes....waitresses walked right by table numerous times. Food order brought out wrong, eventually corrected. If this had been a date night I would have been mortified by the disappointing service that we had as it would have ruined an evening out. Will take a lot of desperation for me to return here.
- food and servicell2wwDined on 8/15/2014The food is excellent but not too good service. The waiter focused on another group.Special Features:
- WRlocalDined on 7/25/2014Absolutely delicious prime rib! Everything was great, especially the Five Corners Cosmo! We'll be back. Thanks!Special Features:
- Lobsterfest!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014My wife ordered the whole lobster - but hates cracking the shell to get the meat. She asked for the kitchens help "loosing" the meat from the shell as much as possible. The chef took the time to remove every piece of meat from the shell, and then reassembled the lobster back into original form on the plate. The plate looked amazing! The chef even took the time to walk to our table and ask how everything wasSpecial Features:
- Best steak I've ever had!Ezo55Dined on 7/24/2014The wife and I really enjoyed our food there. Recommend AAAAAA+++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceRonX2Dined on 7/7/2014The meal was OK - nothing to rave about and more than likely we will not be going back there any time soon. Also, we got charged $100 more on our VISA bill in error and it has been more than 10 days now and that has not been corrected. Was surprised when our server brought in one of those old paper receipts to take an impression of the card and then used a pencil to get the impression - haven't seen that in AGES. So, all in all, not a great experience.Special Features:
- some advice if u want repeat guestsdineasaurDined on 6/30/2014Nice waiter gave us sample of house wine, not good at all and other red wine would have been good, but to warm. I had the seared tuna, it was cold, Washington Grills is definitely better, a larger portion, about the same price , go and try it! Rice that came with it was so, so, and those so called tempura veggies red and yellow peppers with the greasy over cooked batter, get them off your menu. A couple of good things the beer was cold and the waiter was a great server, but your prices were on the high side for the quality of food that was served!Special Features:
- BillAnderDined on 6/28/2014Food was decent. Both of us asked for medium rare, I got rare, other one was medium well. Server was nice but so young and obviously inexperienced. Dishes and empty glasses weren't cleared. Staff stood at the bar and all discussed their plans for the night.
- DisappointingnoneDined on 6/16/2014Had eaten many times at the Pearl which is the same ownership however our experience at Onyx was very different. It was a monday night the restaurant was quiet, so we should have had quick and prompt service since i booked a party of 11 and our table should have made the night for the restaurant since there was only 4 others dining at the time; but service was slow, food was cold, orders where mixed up, drinks where left empty. I will say we did have children with us which is clearly a problem for this establishment as the staff mentioned on the way out that "you guys sure have a lot of kids" which seems odd since there was 4 children to 7 adults but I'm not sure what the industry standard adult to kid ratio is. Will not go back/recommend.
- SieglindeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Decided to go for brunch on Father's Day. My buddy had poached eggs, potatoes, sausage & toast - poached eggs were very watery and placed on the plate with all the other food. No jam/preserves provided with that entree. I had the steak with Cesare salad. Steak wasn't very flavourable considering this is a steakhouse. Salad was OK. The care with presentation was definitely lacking. Service is always pretty good, but this restaurant is a bit of a hit or miss with food quality and attention to detail.
- Need to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/13/2014Not bad but certainly not memorable! The service was sporadic with friendly attention to service details to forgetting to remove dishes, glasses and refill wine glasses although making a big production about the wine service to start. I have dined at Onyx frequently but of late have noticed the food, service and ambiance to be unpredictable. It is becoming a place I sadly don't think I will be frequenting as often!
- FoodServerDined on 5/29/2014Service was great. Food took about an hour though the restaurant had cery few people in it. I ordered a filet med rare and it came med well absolutely ruined.
- Consistently enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014On the top of our go-to list for special occasions; our most recent visit was a birthday dinner with friends. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerMamaof2Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I visited Onyx for the first time for our Anniversary and it was awesome! The food (calamari was one of the best we've had and the steaks were amazing) and service was top notch! Ambience is perfect for us, not loud but still has a little buzz and how their booths are set up you feel like you are dining privately without people over your shoulder. Our only disappointment was that we were too full for dessert!!!!! LOLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 437 reviews are from the Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - White Rock reviews archive.
- Onyx ReviewsandeeDined on 5/17/2014steak was delicious and the staff friendly and personable....a lovely small neighbourhood gem.....I will definitely return....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food but...DJSDaveDined on 5/10/2014We went for mother's day. We were a party of 6. A family of 4 including 2 kids (7 and 9 years), plus their grand parents. We all loved the food and the customer service was great. My wife thought the kitchen staff were unsanitary. She found a hair in her plate and so she looked to the kitchen every now and again. She didn't like that the staff were not wearing hair nets and she also saw one of the staff rubbing his nose with the back of his hand. She was also not pleased with the fact that the same individual ate some of the food while he was preparing. My food was delicious and had no reason to look at the kitchen. Interestingly, we'd both go back because everything but the offending issue was great.Special Features:
- Use to love this restaurant!dawson13Dined on 5/3/2014Have been there many times but will not be returning ! Right from the time we walked through the door the night went from bad to worse. The service was terrible. After being seated it took 10 min for someone to take our drink order. Our Appittizer was missing half of the ingredients, when our food did come it was luke warm at best. We also noticed that both tables around us were also having issues with lack of service as well as the food.
- We always enjoy our visitsAmaniDined on 4/4/2014We always enjoy our visits to onyx. From day one it has been our favorite restaurant. The service is amazing and the staff is always friendly. We have brought friends to the restaurant and reccomend onyx to all of our family and friends as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and enjoyableKimmDined on 3/21/2014We were a group of four people, having dinner before a concert. We thought we would try Onyx. It was great. We were warmly greeted; the service was really superb and the food was fantastic. My prime rib was a perfect medium rare. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep customers happyEatthemeatDined on 3/15/2014We were after steaks. My wife's filet was excellent. Last time I was there, I had the best steak and lobster I'd ever had. However, the sirloin with the lobster had a weird taste that I could not identify. Of course, it was taken off the bill, and we were given a nice dessert and coffees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible steak and too many kidsanon1234Dined on 3/15/2014Not sure what went wrong with my steak and I probably should have sent it back. Ordered bone in rib steak. For starters I doubt it was 16 oz....secondly it tasted terrible and I think it was pan fried vs grilled. Very disappointed. Oysters however were fantastic. Too many kids ...uncontrolled running in the restaurant and crying.....definitely not a special dining out restaurant...maybe recommend for lunch, but thats it.Special Features:
- Decent menu, good selection..SaxsterDined on 3/15/2014Good food, though not stellar. Prime rib was rather tough. Excellent Calamari - and to me the Calamari is a good indicator of if the chef knows what he is doing or not. Decent wine list, typical well over 100% markup for a bottle of wine. Pricing was as high as some of the best restaurants in Vancouver that I have been to, may need to get the food down a little better to warrant that price point. Great service, friendly staff. Surprised by the number of small children there, would not have expected it to be as much of a family place as it seemed to be. The open concept made things very loud with the several yelling small children there. Did not like that there were TVs showing sports, too high a price point for a sports bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been a number of timesMangerDined on 3/14/2014Have been a number of times and always enjoy this restaurant. The prime rib on weekends is delicious. Many choices of appetizers so it is easy to make a meal out of these alone. Great for a couple or a small/medium group. Service always excellent. Price is reasonable.Special Features:
- For the amount of money youOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014For the amount of money you pay, you hardly receive any food. To small of portions, steak was burnt.
- We will never go back the the ?eg.JradDined on 2/28/2014Thank you Onyx!! What a fantastic experience! We normally go to the ?eg. We were looking to find a new local spot to change things up a bit so I thought I would try an online reservation at Onyx. I really did not think that the reservation would work out but to my surprise it did. We happily prepared to go and I receive a confirmation email. We were on time and were seated right away. Unbelievable menu that we are looking forward to exploring more! The ribs were to die for that is for sure it will be hard not to order them again as they were that tasty. Thank you again Onyx looking forward to coming back. Cheers JAASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell short Food & Service WiseAmsterdamDined on 2/23/2014Have been here a few times before but this time the food definitely fell short, Onion Soup was burnt, Treo Brulee was well off and more like a mouse then Brulee , Even after mentioning this it wasn't adjusted from our bill. Water was only refilled when asked for (my telltale if service is good is if my glass is filled without asking)
- Excellent food but overpricedaurorajDined on 2/21/2014The food is excellent, and the service was perfect. However, I am in the wine industry, and the wine here is ridiculously overpriced. Delicious food, but we won't be back because of the wine prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Valentines Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2014My fiancée and I celebrated valentines day a few days after the fact and really enjoyed our meals at Onyx. I had the steak Caesar salad and my fiancée had the fried rice dinner dish. We also ordered the maple bacon brussel sprouts (which were seriously life changing for someone who really dislikes brussel sprouts) and the cauliflower gratin. Everything came out quickly and hot and was incredibly delicious. We'll definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great at so many levelsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2014Went to The Onyx when it first opened a few years ago - food was decent, but service was 'weak' ( new server, new restaurant needed time to mature). The Onyx is now comparable to any 'downtown' Vancouver spot - seated right away ( asked for a smaller table), menus arrived promptly,suggestions made substitutions not a problem and maybe the best prime rib I have had. (the Vegies were perfect) My partner's salmon was right on. Really like the idea of being able to order a main dish or a la carte with choice of sides. Only not 5 star category: We had rotating servers - which made it a bit of a challenge sometime to know who to contact. A Great night and will be backSpecial Features:
- Great place!reviewernickDined on 2/14/2014Food was outstanding, staff was superb, looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day dinnertkelDined on 2/14/2014Fantastic as always. They always remember that we've been there before and they are so personable, not just our server but other servers will say hi. And of course the food is always amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No sense making reservationsSheenaDined on 2/14/2014No sense making reservations through open table, we got seated in the bar area on high stool n table, extremely uncomfortable when trying to enjoy fine dining. Portions were ridiculous for the price, do not ever order a petite steak, it wouldn't even fill your cavities. We have dined quite a few times, never had issues, but friends mentioned the same problem, we thought they were just being difficult customer, BUT they were right. Bar scent great, fine dining...give it a pass....lost us and our friends as regular customers.Special Features:
- A restaurant you won't want to missOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/13/2014An excellent evening out.The food was great ( I loved the rib eye steak along with the bacon/ broccoli and the Mac cheese and lobster sides) We especially appreciated the excellent service we received . We also appreciated our server's knowledgable wine recommendation. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing date nightdatenightDined on 1/31/2014Loved the ambience of the place. From the time we walked in to the time we left. My boyfriend loved the buttermilk chicken wings!!! I tried the cheese toast. I had their steakhouse caesar salad, medium rare steak! It was delicious. My boyfriend had the steak, he was smitten. I was happy that he loved my find, as it was my turn to plan our date night. The waiter was awesome! the drinks were great!!! Will go there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall our experience wasMelissaPribsDined on 1/27/2014Overall our experience was okay. The restaurant is intimate and comfortable with oversized booths. Classic rock did not match atmosphere. Lime presentation was great however, not fresh and browning. Our server did a great job of the menu tour and explained the highlights of what separates Onyx from the other steakhouses. Service was slow overall. Cocktails took more than 10 minutes, appetizers 25 minutes (oysters, caesar salad, and escargot). Bread arrived after apps. Only one other table in during our experience. Caesar salad was amazing! Escargot was bland and the demi glaze used made the escargot and mushrooms become indistinguishable. Steak seasoning great but they were more pittsburgh style then our request of medium and med rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Great Food, Great Service, I would highly recommend this restaurant. I have already raved about it to about ten people. Looking forward to the next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.