Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody
#7 - 101 Morrissey Rd
Port Moody, BC V3H 5N1Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: CAN$30 and under
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.onyxsteakhouse.ca/
- Phone: 6049170118x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner 7 days/week from 4:00pm till late
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kevin Larsson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The premise behind Aquamarine is simple: love for superior cuisine, and genuine hospitality. In addition to our fine food and friendly, polished staff, we provide a full array of additional catering services. This includes items such as china, silverware, and stemware; customize centerpieces, table dressings, flower arrangements, stages, tents as well as entertainment and valet services. For more info please visit www.aquamarinecatering.ca
- Private Party Facilities: ONYX is the perfect venue to handle all of your special events. Flexible seating, private dining facilities, a separate lounge and seating capacity up to 160 people. We would be honoured to host your birthday, wedding, corporate function, or event in our stunning venue. Complimentary A/V available.
- Private Party Contact: Andre Pastor 8886525791
- Special Events: Want to feel like a celebrity? Well the dining room @ Onyx gives you just that. We offer our private mezzanine for all kinds of private functions whether it be posh executive parties, special birthday celebrations or any reason to eat drink and be merry.
A word from Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody
Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse, a place where familiar classics are re-spun into new favourites. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our team, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody - Best Restaurants in Port Moody ›
Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (21)romantic (10)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Gave it a chanceDisappointedDined on 8/11/2014Despite reading underwhelming reviews we gave Onyx a chance. The waitress was great. The food was not what we expected. Menu items that are showing on line aren't offered any more and some that are, aren't cooked the way they are described. Between the three of us, we wouldn't order half of the items we did because of the unusual spicing, heavy batter being undercooked and luke warm.
- anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014We had a really great dinner, it was part of the Travel zoo coupon and we were treated Iike we were paying full price for our 4 dinner. The service with Amanda and another gal was awesome. We would go back. The lobster wraps and calamari were fantatic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was poorAaronVIPDined on 7/27/2014Having read good reviews about this restaurant, it was disappointing to say the least. The highlight of the night was the free bread basket and garlic butter. Everything went downhill after that. The steak was below average, lobster was definitely NOT fresh. Best part was the waitress who was friendly and helpful.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Both our filet mignons were dry, chewy and over cooked. The minimal amount of blue cheese sauce did not cover up the lack of flavour of the steak.The other two people ordered the salmon which was also over cooked and dry. The prices are unreasonably high - $37 for lousy steak ONLY plus cost of side. For $256 for the four of us (only one drink each) it was a huge disappointment.
- Best steak in townsteakloverDined on 7/19/2014I love my steak...who doesn't. But seriously, it's been a while since I've had a steak like the one I had at Onyx. My knife cut through that New York like a hot knife through butter. Aged 60 days!!! Why go to the Keg and give your $$ to a massive corporation when you can get a better meal at a comparable price? It was very quiet and other than having to fill my own wine glass a few times the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food & dining experience at Onyx'slovetodineDined on 7/4/2014Great service & great food, menu choices,great choice of steak, prime rib, shrimps.& desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great serviceSogna2reDined on 6/28/2014Although the restaurant appears unassuming, the food and service were good. Both the Wild Salmon and Prime Rib we had were well prepared and the accompanying side dishes very plentiful. Found the prices were a tad on the high side but considering the portions we received and how tasty everything was, it is within reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodCuetipVIPDined on 6/25/2014Good is pretty good. Prices are slightly on the higher side for this type of restaurant. They did not supply any kind of bread with butter or spread during dinner. Service was just okay. Considering restaurant was not busy, server could not remember getting the order 100% correct. Nevertheless the restaurant is worth a first try for anyone looking for a nice dinner out.Special Features:
- The burbs suck for good restaurantsSadsuburbaniteDined on 6/20/2014So much potential to be a four star restaurant but the prices were the only thing that reflect a four star restaurant.
- Much improvedMinaDined on 6/15/2014We had been to this restaurant when they were still pretty new years ago and we weren't too impressed with their food or atmosphere (we were sitted upstairs, which I found had depressing atmosphere). We were there for Father's Day this Sunday after staying away from them since the first visit. Service was great - we are not drinkers or dessert eaters and our waitress did not try to upsell us which I found very refreshing. Food was good too. We will definitely go back now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is not their forteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014Service was the pleasant as usual but the food experience was probably the worst we've had at the Onyx. We had the Prime Rib Hash and Blueberry BBQ Chicken Sandwich. The hash was bland, missing the roasted corn, skimped on the hollandaise & the meat was dry. Chicken sandwich was also surprisingly bland despite the blueberry bbq sauce. We have had dinner and appies here before, and quite enjoyed the food, so did not think that brunch would be that bad.
- Will never go againluvtoeatDined on 6/15/2014The atmosphere and decor were terrible. For a high end steak place....awful. Had reservations... Restaurant barely anyone in there and not even set. Paper menus :-( website prices not the same. Charged a lot more. Meal didn't even come with the ingredients it says it does. Honestly a huge disappointment and we would never go back.
- DisappointingMpmvDined on 6/14/2014We went for breakfast for Fathers Day and although service was good, food was overpriced and we expected better. We were the only clients at the restaurant and even when they asked me how I wanted my eggs Benedict, they were over cooked! They didn't get it right! Not even because we were the only ones there!
- Great place and good foodPhilDined on 6/13/2014Onyx was recommended by a friend and it turned out to be a great place with very good food. The ambience is great and noise level was very low. The wait between order seemed long though. The steaks are spectacular. Would recommended it to others. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food.....TableFor2Dined on 6/7/2014I've been to Onyx a few times, service is generally good, the last time the service was excellent... Food is consistently good. (Wine list is good too) I prefer Onyx over The Keg Good location for last minute dinner plans....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backlolabottDined on 5/31/2014We had been to Onyx White Rock before and had a very good experience. Port Moody definitely did not live up to our expectations. They don't seem to deal well with a group. The service was mediocre and we waited a very long time for our food to come. We were not impressed with the food, the calamari and onion rings were soggy. I would not recommend this restuarant to other family or friends and we will not be going back to this location.
- Very good steak and serviceVinceDined on 5/30/2014This is our third time at Onyx. The service was excellent. The slow-roasted prime rib was very good and the mushrooms were excellent. I would have given it 5 stars, but for whatever reason, I felt that the prime rib from the last 2 times was a bit better.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDinnerPlannerVIPDined on 5/19/2014We were looking for a nice place to eat out in either North Burnaby or Port Moody and found Onyx. What a great find! The food was fabulous and the service was attentive and responsive. Street parking was convenient. No complaints at all! We'll be back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/15/2014Very expensive and prime rib only available on weekends!
- A new favouriteRainierDined on 5/11/2014Looking for a restaurant for Mother's Day dinner near my mother's and we luckily discovered Onyx. The menu had some items not often seen such as Steak Tartare so there was a good selection to choose from. We especially enjoyed the service provided by our waitress Melody, she was very helpful and friendly!Special Features:
- This was been embarrassedHeritageDined on 5/11/2014The service was poor the food Oder was wrong waitress were dropping stuff ie bottle of wine we ordered then next to me a sauce was dropped and it splattered and hit my arm no asked if we got hit by that and this was Mother's Day dinner
- A fine Mother's Day DinnerPrettyBirdsDined on 5/11/2014Eight members of our family enjoyed a fine Mother's day dinner -- three mothers in the group! Good food, fine service and a very pleasant experience for everyone. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mother's Day OutingGimpyBoyDined on 5/10/2014Overall a pleasant experience. Not the greatest food that I have ever had but reasonable for the price point. Service was a little slow but likely due to the large groups attending for Mother's Day. A great neighbourhood find for casual fare.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week Night MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014We had a great experience dining on a Monday evening, really enjoyed the steak special and the friendly service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, decent foodsmeachDined on 5/3/2014Servers were very attentive and friendly. Nice little neighborhood. Tons of free parking in parkade across the street. Nice ambiance. We found our appetizers a bit bland. We liked the option of the a la carte plus family-style sides. Our meat was cooked properly to order, but again sides were a bit bland.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014The lamb shanks are to die for. Lobster Mac and Cheese is my all time favourite. Creative drinks, yummy! And jose was the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 270 reviews are from the Onyx Steakhouse and Lounge - Port Moody reviews archive.
- Tri-Cities findAnMoreDined on 4/19/2014A great alternative to generic chain restaurants - Onyx is a real steakhouse! Good cuts of meat with lots of alternative menu choices. A great selection of a la carte side dishes too. Overall good value with top notch service.Special Features:
- Birthday lunch71lunchDined on 4/14/2014Attention to detail by the server was excellent. I did not want mash potatoes and was offered a salad with my salmon. Chef did a good job but salmon was a tad overcooked; a drizzle of olive oil would have solved the problem and the amount of dressing on the salad was insufficient. Overall the food was nice. The chocolate cake is not for the feint hearted; split between 2 there was still 1/3 left over. Was almost enough for 4 people. Overall 8 out of 10. Wine was delicious.Special Features:
- Glade we gave them another chanceLumarDined on 4/13/2014We'd heard service had improved, so we decided to try it again. We had a coupon for a two for one entree and figured why not? We went in very skeptical as we'd been twice before and on both occasions the service was slow and painful. Happy to report it was not the case this time. Our waitress was prompt and very attentive, as was the greeter. Really happy with our experience this time. Now keep it up!!!! We need a good restaurant in this area. All the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot with Great ServiceJasonVIPDined on 4/5/2014It holds a solid 4 being carried by the ambience and service. The staff was exceptional and I have dined from Daniel in New York City and about 50 nights of fine dinning service thru Chicago, Miami, Vegas, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Charlotte etc.. I tried a bit of a few dishes that were great BUT I must say that I was not so thrilled with the Prime Rib which is featured on the weekends. I really didn't want to complain but it was lacking in any flavour and not seasoned correctly. With the service we received I would visit again .. Just going to try another dish. For people in Port Moody area it is a great option for date night, guests, business ambience. If your outside, I would highly recommend as its a gem in a unique spot.Special Features:
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014I came here and I loved it the food and drinks were good I will be sure to come back.Special Features:
- Would not go againpomoeatsDined on 3/7/2014Despite the ridiculously overattentive service (we' were there here to visit our friends, not chat with the waiters), one was left with the feeling that this restaurant is a chain and their bottom line is the most important thing. The typical steaks and prime rib were flavourless, the caesar salad was dry, and the side of braised brussel sprouts with bacon tasted like the bacon was left over from last weekend's brunch. A giant chocolate cake for dessert was dry and the frosting grainy. Have to say that even though the Keg is not a place I frequent gladly, if we're talking apples to apples, the Keg is superior in every way except for noise level.
- Try it againMxxhVIPDined on 3/3/2014We tried this restaurant for the first time. Had heard mixed reviews last year, but also hear that they were improving. Really enjoyed our experience. Great service, great food. The staff said they had a new chef and management, and it definitely shows. If you tried it before, give it another try. I bet they will meet your expectations now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time & good wine....i8outDined on 3/1/2014This evening was a way to thank some good friend for passing along my name. We enjoyed the meal and will be returning again as we all enjoyed the evening. It was the first visit for all 4 of us. Thanks.Special Features:
- An all-around great meald1n3rDined on 2/23/2014Service was prompt and friendly. Waiter (Jose) recognized us from before and remembered that we had expressed interest in returning on a weekend for the prime rib special - which is exactly what we ordered! We also ordered a few appetizers. The fresh oysters were phenomenal. The prime rib was fantastic - Onyx definitely has a way with their beef. The Yorkshire pudding and veggies were also fantastic. We ended the meal with a banana split - hadn't had one in years, and it was very good. Jose checked on us regularly without being intrusive. All in all, it was a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm community modern feelingChellybeanDined on 2/21/2014Was greeted very nicely and seated right away. We didn't like our table so we asked to move which was done fast and got a great booth. The service was impeccable. Everyone was so nice and friendly. Not a big red wine list. But found a glass from California that was very good. We had the 5oz filet mignon. Nice to have the smaller option. Mine was good. My dates had some gristle and fat which he did not like. I added the Brussels sprouts to my dinner and were very yummy. The food needed something. Not the best steak dinner. I've had better and I have had worse. But felt very comfortable and wasn't all the way downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it, enjoyed it immensely,HometownerDined on 2/14/2014Loved it, enjoyed it immensely, soooo happy they're in our community !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerRunnerzDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for two and we were seated after some consultation between the Host and the manager. Our table was so near the front door we had a cold draft every time the front door was opened. We were not greeted by our server for at least 5-7 minutes which at that time she took our drink order. We thought it unusual since it was Valentine's Day and the store was busy. The service from her did not match our expectations of good service. The restaurant manager ended up taking our food order. Our drinks took a long time to arrive but our food came out to us in a timeley manner. The food was good but not exceptional. We only left a 15% tip to our server. We expected better service from a restaurant with the reputation of Onyx.
- A very good meal.KimbotDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went to Onyx for Valentine's Day dinner. The food and service were great! We really enjoyed ourselves. The steaks were perfectly grilled. The spice mix was delicious. We had the brussel sprouts and the lobster mac and cheese as sides and they were really delicious. We will be back the next time we want a steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very disappointedHeritageDined on 2/14/2014We were very disappointed for the first time on feb 14 it was valentines day as well as our 21 wedding anniversary we booked for 5:30 we are a where you were busy but people that got there same time got there food well before us left before we were finished are dinner 2nd my dinner was warm the potatoes were cold the bread did not show up before dinner usually it dose we inquired they oh it went to another table my wife had the steake and lobster and a side order of potatoes and the melted butter it was all cold 3rd we stay for desert Oder coffee it comes fine had ordered the apple galet after waiting 25 minutes we ask are waitres wher are desert is she said oh it should be 5 minutes well my wife said sorry we can't wait any longer leftSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.