1580 Argyle Street
Halifax, NS B3J 1H1Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onyxdining.com/
- Phone: 9024285680x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday opening at 4pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tahir Salamat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: High end, inventive cuisine with attention to detail. Full service catering, professionally done. ONYX recently catered a successful dinner for Sir Paul McCartney and his crew when he was in Halifax for a concert.
- Private Party Facilities: Onyx is available for private bookings.
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Bruhm 9024916110x
- Entertainment: We offer the best deal in the city every Wednesday evening from 7:30 - 10:30 p.m. A rotation of talented local jazz musicians perform every week and there is no cover charge. There is also no corkage fee and our Bar Bites menu is all half-price. See why we say it really is the best deal in the city? Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere, great food and the sounds of local talent every Wednesday evening at Onyx. It makes for a great night out with friends. For the entertainment line-up, please visit our website.
A word from Onyx Restaurant
Casual dining with innovative cocktails and wine bar styling on centrally located Argyle Street in Halifax's restaurant district. Sit at the back-lit white onyx bar and watch the bartenders at this bar work their craft. Ambitious cocktails, over 40 wines by the glass. Or peruse the extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine list with over 350 selections. ONYX, a big city feel, yet intimate. We offer inventive cuisine with professional service. It is an evening you'll remember. ONYX has received many accolades and awards in the short time we've been open. Here are just a few: A three Star Rating in "Where to Eat in Canada", one of only 29 restaurants in Canada to achieve this rating. A four diamond rating from AAA/CAA, one of the top ten new restaurants in Canada, a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence every year that we have been open.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Onyx Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Halifax ›
Onyx Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)good for groups (8)special occasion (7)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (5)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great spotHungrygakVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great spot. Like it better tha when it was on spring garden road. Food great, service great, can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Onxy ReviewgreatambienceDined on 8/22/2014Four of us were at Onyx on Aug 9th and were impressed with the food, service and ambience. The only disappointment was the grilled Caesar salad. Our experience on Aug 22nd was not so impressive. The atmosphere is very nice but the food was a disappointment. The lobster dumplings appetizer was overcooked and dry. Most of us had the duck confit special as a main and it was tough and missing flavour. I would not recommend this dish to others.Special Features:
- PattiDined on 8/18/2014The service was a tad slow even though the place was not busy. the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sly39Dined on 7/7/2014Restaurant ambiance was good, decor was great, very trendy. Service was very good, but overall, the consensus of my friends and I is that while the food was good to very good depending on who ordered what, it was a bit too pricy for what we got.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Close to Metro Centre and very comfortable inside dining with the open window to the street. We enjoyed our meal and martini and will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014I had the ceasar salad. There was too much ceasar dressing. It was unique but I would not try it again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Great atmosphere and drinks but shared. Few appetizers and not happy with foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pushy waiterFoodieDined on 6/6/2014Took my plate before I was clearly finished. Took plates away from two people while other two still eating - which is completely rude. Waiter hovered. We all felt completely rushed. Nicely plated, but a bit overpriced. My meal with one glass of wine ended up costing approximately $60 before tip and it didn't taste that good. Lobster dumplings were delicious. Heirloom tomato salad was boring.Special Features:
- BuffyDined on 5/22/2014First time at the new Onyx. Experience was very positive right from the get-go. We will definitely return. Three of us had the pasta dish - excellent. I had the burger with fois gras - no flavour of the fois gras but the burger was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 162 reviews are from the Onyx Restaurant reviews archive.
- Will come back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014Nice new spot in Halifax. Great for dates or girls night out. Food was different, not a huge variety but not your average menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks! Disappointed by foodLiliDined on 4/25/2014Four of us tried the new Onyx. The drinks were exceptional and the service at the bar was excellent. However, we were all underwhelmed by the food. We each ordered appetizers and a main. My appetizer (lobster dumplings) was awesome and probably the best thing that was ordered. Both men ordered the pork chop special which both found barely edible! Food was below average especially considering the bill. Table service was ok but our appetizers came before our bottle of wine and we didn't have any water so we all had to eat our appetizers without a drink which I have to say is kinda unacceptable. Maybe they're working out the kinks so I would try it again for drinks and maybe an appetizer but I wouldn't have dinner there again.Special Features:
- Girls night & drinksFrequentEaterOuterDined on 4/17/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere, although my girlfriends and I were at the very back in a private booth. Worked out best for us but if you like to be part of the action, you wouldn't want to choose the booths. It allowed us to have conversation without worry of being overheard. Food wasn't bad but can't say I was impressed - had the salmon. Don't remember reading on the menu that it comes with pork... Nice drink menu - highlight for sure. Service was good, not impeccable but acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Wait For a Second Visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014The newly opened Onyx on Argyle is the perfect spot for an after-work drink, romantic dinner or lively hang out spot with friends. The food and drinks were great and they really hit the mark on ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New location is big improvementJohnDined on 4/9/2014Visited the new location on Argyle St. It's a big improvent over the much smaller Springarden spot. The appetizers were delicious and the cocktails were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in HalifaxDrZeusDined on 12/28/2013Excellent food at reasonable prices. Appreciated the low key friendly service and quiet atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/18/2013Have always enjoyed the "New York" feel of this restaurant.Its upscale interior with its impressive onyx bar ,delicious menu,excellent martinis and extensive wine list make it one of our favourites.Fingers crossed they can transport all this to the new location. PS...Also like that there is no corkage fee on Wednesday nights...nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly my new fave Hfx restoArachniusDined on 11/1/2013Gorgeous room, great service, wonderful cocktails (try the Poivre Poire!!), excellent Prix Fixe menu, terrific wine. Can't fault the place. (we did have a laugh with our waitress though. Dessert was Une Meule (referring to the Stilton cheese 'wheel') however the menu description said 'Douro Valley Stilton', so we asked her where the Douro Valley was. She said Stilton was from the Douro Valley in England. We laughed. It was the port (infused with the Stilton) that was from the Douro Valley - in Portugal, and yes, the Stilton was from England. But the dish, with figs and truffles, which sounds unbelievably bizarre, was totally amazing. Highly recommended - if you like Stilton cheese.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The highlight of HalifaxCalifoodieDined on 9/11/2013Finally, on the last night in Halifax, we found a gem-no pun intended. Service was great, the martini was top notch, a good wine list and the food was outstanding. Amazing the quality that comes out of a micro kitchen. When in Halifax, eat here. Every night. Nothing else can compare. Go to this place on your first night in town. You won't go elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencePleasedtoeatDined on 8/17/2013After reading some of the reviews, we were a little apprehensive, however we found the whole dining experience very pleasant. Food was well presented and very tasty - had the duck a l'orange and beef medallions. The new appetizers, scallops (2 large) and grilled eggplant were delicious, as was the baked Alaska and Turtle for dessert. Went away feeling full and satisfied. Service was very good and attentive to our needs. Not that busy on a Saturday evening. Would return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First DatejaymDined on 7/31/2013Excellent Service. Awesome Wednesday night no corking fee! Great Food. The Kobe Beef Sliders were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday!HappyBdayDined on 7/31/2013My wife and I celebrated our birthdays with dinner the evening of July 31st. It was one of the most enjoyable evenings we have had at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Example of Poor Customer ServiceDisappointedDined on 6/14/2013This was a special birthday dinner and we had asked for the round table under the chandelier. We came at 6pm, Friday June 14 as the person taking the reservation wouldn't commit to this. On arrival we were told that a party of 5 had reserved the table for 6 pm , subsequent to our reservation. During the entire 1.5 hours we were there - no one used that table. I asked the supervisor about this- saying I was very disappointed. He immediately defended the restaurant saying that the party of 5 had cancelled at 6:15 and he "could show me that". This response amazed me as we should have been approached to move over to the requested table as soon as the cancellation came in. Customer-centric thinking would have changed this rating.
- So NoisyhazehalDined on 6/12/2013I have eaten here before, but it was way too loud this time. With the band playing, I couldn't hear the person across the table. That was unfortunate, as it was a business meeting. Not a bad spot, but I can't recommend it if you want to have a conversation over dinner.Special Features:
- A perfect date.KeicaDined on 6/8/2013This was probably the 5th or 6th time I've been to Onyx in the last couple years. I usually go on Wed. night for a ladies night (and for no corkage and back when I went it was half price apps too). So when my date asked me where I wanted to go for my birthday celebration I immediately said Onyx. He had never been before. He was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and drinks. It's a great place to dress up and spoil yourself. He also said that in the past 18 years he's lived here he's never had better calamari... and he makes a point to try it at every place he goes. Compliments to the chef. Service is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good; we hadexecdinerDined on 6/7/2013The food was good; we had mainly small plates. The calamari was over cooked; too dry. The risotto balls were very good but not hot when served. We had to wait at least 10 minutes for a second drink (martini). This is unfortunate; because this type of bar/lounge should have the adequate resources in place i.e. sufficient staffing on a Friday evening to accommodate prompt bar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outdelish2020Dined on 5/31/2013The drinks were divine, the appetizers were delicious, and the music was awesome! Thanks Onyx for a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff were aloof and unresponsiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2013Staff were aloof and unresponsive to diners despite only three tables full
- alright...HandukDined on 5/18/20131. great food/selection for the price (especially small plates) 2. nice interior 3. good drinks/selection 4. very pretentious waitresses. The difference between these kind of places and an actually great restaurant in service,,, is that the service is more genuine in the other restaurants. Just because Onyx hires pretty waitresses dressed in cute black outfits, it doesn't mean they can overlook the true customer-care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013I expected it to be very good, but it was absolutely great. Amazing food, friendly and professional servers, and Eugene from Cavan at the bar made you want to sit and spend some time at the bar.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/27/2013Onyx is simply amazing! We drove by it a couple of times as it is sandwiched between other stores and the sign isn't prominent. However, once you enter the restaurant it is beautiful and the wait still is amazing! Go for the Prix Fixe menu. The food is wonderful and the drinks are even better.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013This was our second visit to Onyx, and it did not disappoint! The host remembered us from our previous visti, and our seat request was accommodated. The service was simply excellent, which we've come to expect---very knowledgable, super-friendly, and not at all intrusive. The food was excellent, and presented wonderfully. Will definitely be returning!!Special Features:
- Incredible food. IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Incredible food. Incredible service. Beatiful live jazz on Wednesday night + no corkage fee! Their price fix menu is to die for.Special Features:
- Nice place and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Nice place and great food but we had an over attentive (to the point of annoying) waitress. Great decor and ambience.Special Features:
- This was our first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/3/2013This was our first time to Onyx, we found that the atmosphere was very charming. We loved the Live Jazz Music being played. The food was fabulous, I especially liked the Beef tenderloin and my husband enjoyed the Tuna appetizer and the main of Lamb. Our waitress was very pleasant and friendly, and we found the other wait staff seemed to work well together.Special Features:
- Excellent evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013My friend and I went here for dinner. The service was great, the food was even better! The plating was excellent, I didn't want to eat my food because it just looked so pretty on the plate. It was fancy and romantic, but also down to earth and friendly. The wine list was great, lots of choice and not too pricey. Three courses for $46 is a great deal! I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone! They also have "special" nights. Fridays - half price drinks! (the martini list was amazing too) Overall, amazing experience.Special Features:
- Delicious food, well prepared,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/27/2013Delicious food, well prepared, beautifully presented and locally sourced.Special Features:
- A special eveningpbmaritimerDined on 2/26/2013Superb evening of dining at Onyx. We were greeted at the door, shown to our table and the evening was great from start to finish. The prix fixe menu had great variety. The meals we chose were beautifully plated and delicious. Great service, enjoyable and we cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Meal was perfection. FrontOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2013Meal was perfection. Front staff and kitchen were friendly and attentive. Waitress was very good at her job and ensuring we had everything we needed for each course. Food as cleared promptly. Well worth the money. Best meal in a very long time. My boyfriend and I could not get enough of the dessert. Will be returning upon my next visit to Halifax.Special Features:
- Ladies nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Ladies night out extraordinaire. The drinks were delicious, the service was great... Even though it had the ambiance as an upmarket and exclusive kind of place, the staff was warm, welcoming and made us feel like the most important and enjoyable part of their night. The food was excellent and nicely presented. We had a really great time.Special Features:
- Service was superb. ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/2/2013Service was superb. Really enjoyed small plates. Gives lots of opportunity to try different dishes. Recommendation of wine by waitress was great. Really enjoyable experience. Did not feel rushed throughout the meal - dishes were nicely spaced in terms of delivery from the kitchen.Special Features: