1003 Green Bay Rd.
Winnetka, IL 60093Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://oneilsinwinnetka.net/
- Phone: 8474467100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from O’Neil’s
O'Neils restaurant is a casual yet elegant neighborhood hot spot where you can always find reliable delicious food and familiar faces. We have a full bar, outdoor dining and wheel chair accessibility. Copious free parking available behind the restaurant. O'Neil's in Winnetka is the ideal place for your special occasions and your daily Lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
O’Neil’s - Best Restaurants in Winnetka ›
O’Neil’s reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for outdoor dining (40)great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (11)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Change isn't always good...DEbsDined on 9/12/2014This was my first visit back to the redecorated restaurant. I preferred the old look and feel better! The white decor, small tabletops and bench seating were not comfortable. Altho the food was good, I still probably wouldn't come back. The cool look and feel of the restaurant left me cold.Special Features:
- O'Neil's Surpasses ItselfFooddocVIPDined on 9/6/2014My family and I dine at O'Neil's fairly regularly, and it is a reliable, 4 star restuarant that we enjoy. This visit deserved a 5 star based on the food choices and quality not experienced before. As always, the entrees come with soup or salad: that's value. chicken tortilla suop is great, cream of broccoli okay, Caesar salad great. The entrees were all terrific, starting with roast chicken, to sirloin steak, to skirt steak; all generous portions, well prepared, delicious. But the high point was the availabilty of dover sole. Not prepared tableside, but still tasting fresh and flavorful, and compeltely unexpected. Service is always top notch, and wines are limited but reasonable. Will continune to be a regular!Special Features:
- luvtoeatDined on 8/16/2014Best cioppino in town!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not fussy, just great.MmmmmVIPDined on 8/15/2014This has become our "go to" spot. The food is consistently delicious, creative and fresh. The service is great. On these rare nice summer evenings. it's a great place to eat outside. Pastas are fantastic, seafood is too. Save room for the banana bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceakwaDined on 8/1/2014When I made a reservation for lunch on Open Table I shared I was bringing my girlfriend's parents to lunch and was going to ask them for their blessing to marry. The service was great: we initially sat outside and then it suddenly started to rain lightly. They moved an umbrella to shelter us but as it started to rain harder we moved inside. The gave us a great spot in the corner and moved all of out drinks, etc. in for us. Our waiter was extremely friendly and helpful with his recommendations, and at the end of the meal they offered is a complimentary dessert to celebrate (the chocolate cake was excellent). Thanks to everyone at O'Neil's for helping to make this a happy and memorable occasion! PA: They said yes! Now i just have to ask her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved O'NeilsSue22VIPDined on 7/19/2014Hadn't been here in a few years and menu looked good online so decided to try again. Loved everything about our evening at O'Neils! Friendly staff who kept checking on us. Poured a great drink. A menu with so many things that sounded good it was hard to decide. And loved that a salad came with every meal, even the burger (which was amazing!). Everything the six of us ordered was outstanding. Will be back a again soon!Special Features:
- Always goodwhycookDined on 7/19/2014O'Neil's is like a well-kept secret. Not too difficult to get a reservation, good food, eye-pleasing décor - consistently makes for a pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Bad experience!PenpenVIPDined on 7/14/2014We went for a late lunch. It took about 10 mins to get our server and since it was 1:30 in the afternoon and there were just a few tables occupied, That was crazy. We ordered and waited 17 minutes and we saw no one and had no food yet. Our order was fairlty simple. One gazpacho and half a salad and my husband had a Sandwich, we told them how dissatisfied we were and they didn't try to make it right so we walked out! Not a good experience!
- EnjoyEatingVIPDined on 7/13/2014Our experience at O'Neil's this past Sunday was actually excellent. The food was very good and the prices were fair. We enjoyed sitting outside, except for some troublesome flies. The gazpacho soup, the Roast Duck, the Skirt Steak, and the Fettucini Alfredo dishes were all excellent. We will go back on a regular basis. The service was good too.Special Features:
- FeedbackVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great duck. Consistently good food, service. Nice outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2014Good food, not rushed, great waiter, great location. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O'Neil'sHarvDined on 7/3/2014Great casual place with attentive service, but not pushy. Fresh ingredients and a calm atomsphere.Special Features:
- YummyBeangirlVIPDined on 6/26/2014Love the veal piccata! Everything is so fresh and good. A bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentHuckleberryDined on 6/26/2014O'Neil's is our go to restaurant when dining with friends who live on the North Shore. The food and service are always good and since their recent remodeling, the ambience is delightful. We,recommend it highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to work on serviceperson654321Dined on 6/20/2014We never received some food (they asked if we wanted after the fact) and then they took our order, they were out of food and didn't even realize it. Needless to say, they need to work on their operations.Special Features:
- Fathers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014This was our second year here, for Father's Day Brunch. Two of us had the crab cakes eggs benedict, and 2 of us had the standard eggs benedict. We all agreed ours was delicious. The ambience is great....very light, fresh and currant. The service was good. We all enjoyed ourselves. We ranged in age from 22 to 79....3 generations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Change for the BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014The decor is so much more appealing than before. Enjoyed a Father's Day brunch.Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/10/2014First time here, restaurant was nice looking, food was excellent, waiter was great! We will return!Special Features:
- Great for graduation dinner!ChicagophilDined on 6/1/2014We went there with a party of 7 to celebrate our son's graduation. It had been an awesome day already. The restaurant made it a great night, too. Food was delicious, drinks were made in a special way that we requested, waiters all very friendly. We didn't mind the tv. The updated design is cool and modern, a mixture of a bar, lounge and a modern restaurant. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMmmmmVIPDined on 5/31/2014Having lived on the North Shore forever and never having dined here before, I felt it was time. Why did I wait? The food; seared scallops, cioppino, duck, salmon was outstanding. We followed our waiter's suggestions who prefaced it by saying, it's his opinion. I liked that. He told us what sold most, as well. His recommendation for dessert, praline baskets, is worth coming back for....And I will.Special Features:
- If it's not broke don't fix it.DinnerDuoVIPDined on 5/24/2014The updated restaurant is very noisy. The tables are uncomfortably small and seating is too close to other tables. There' s now a large television in the restaurant area which makes the restaurant seem like a sports bar. Our Caesar salads were leafy and not crisp hearts of romaine like they used to be. They even got rid of their delicious bread baskets and oil and fresh Parmesan on the tables (probably because there is no room). On the plus side, the Pecan tilapia was still delicious.
- The following 265 reviews are from the O’Neil’s reviews archive.
- Brad993VIPDined on 5/18/2014Our food was awesome and our server was great, but we waited far too long for our entrees. Two other tables arrived, finished and left before we were finished eating our entrees. I'm sure this was an isolated incident, but frustrating for a birthday dinner. After the long wait, the person whose birthday we were celebrating announced that she'd like to skip any dessert or cake and just go home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotLegalEagleDined on 5/11/2014Everything was great for Mother's Day 2014. The service, food, and circuses were most appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service okSkayDined on 5/10/2014O'Neills has been updated a year or two ago to be more current. White interior, updated bar. Looks good (not great) and lots of patrons. Food was great, service was eh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some happy, some notnicknameDined on 5/9/2014My table mates loved the veal marsala and chicken piccatta, but the spring rolls were soggy and bad tasting, served with buttered cabbage - very strange and not good tasting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maggiemaggs3040Dined on 5/1/2014Amazing ambiance, variety of food options & great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent says it allmartinigirlVIPDined on 4/28/2014There was not one thing to complain about at O'Neils. Elegant yet comfortable, outstanding service and fantastic food. We had a flat bread appetizer and the grilled garlic shrimp. Both made to perfection. Everyone's entrée was made perfectly and just the right portion size. No room for dessert but the menu looked yummy. Highly recommend O'Neils.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wait staffLovetoeatVIPDined on 4/22/2014Upon entering the restaurant, we were graciously greeted by the host and waitperson assigned to our birthday group of ten. They took the cake that I had brought in back to the kitchen for dessert presentation. Attention was impeccable. Some enjoyed their menu choices more than others. I loved my entree which had grilled shrimp and beluga lentils. The cake was presented and then brought back to the kitchen to be sliced and served.Special Features:
- RediscoveredwhycookDined on 4/19/2014Hadn't been to O'Neils in years - wow the facelift made a difference! Food is good as always. Love the great pasta section of the menu. If you haven't been in a while (or ever) you really should go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014I was very impressed with O'Neil's. The food was delicious, the presentation beautiful, and the overall experience wonderful. I would definitely recommend it to everyone and return for another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time thereButtercup8561Dined on 4/12/2014Highly recommended by our b day girl ! Her and hubbies favorite restaurant. My hubby and I thought everything was fantastic !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressedSlainteVIPDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I visited with our daughter on a Friday evening. It was our first visit since the restaurant was remodeled and the menu revised. We were all impressed. Our entrees were very good and their presentations excellent. The kitchen was very accommodating with a couple special requests while our server was exceptionally attentive despite a fairly busy night. We'll definitely return, especially to take advantage of the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Dining RoomFrankGDined on 4/5/2014We have eaten at O'Neil's several times over many years. It had been over a year since we had been there last and were surprised to find that the dining room had been extensively remodeled since our last visit. This visit was on a Saturday evening. Most tables were filled and the noise level was much higher than we had experienced on previous visits. The food, however, was still well prepared and the service was very attentive. O'Neil's seemed to have a high ratio of service personnel to diners. Over-all, we would recommend this spot for people who enjoy a vibrant ambiance where they dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2014Food is fresh and delicious. The restaurant is beautiful and the seating area so comfortable. We celebrated a friends birthday and enjoyed a great raspberry covered scoop of ice cream, enough for five of us to share. We look forward to returning soon!Special Features:
- Good spotDaveW99Dined on 3/15/2014Haven't been there in a while. The new decor looks nice but some of the couch seats in the middle of the room are awkward for seating. The food is still great. Everyone loved the salmon and the duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sunday Night FarePampDined on 3/9/2014Sunday night at 7:30 was uncrowded, so we got a choice banquette. Comfy seating, very attentive staff. Beet salad was big enough for two but I ate the whole thing. Grilled salmon was good, too, though the sauce was so so. Wish I had ordered it with the sauce on the side. Pomegranite martini was delicious, too!Special Features:
- Just Great!mdbuttercupVIPDined on 2/14/2014Made reservations for Valentine's Day/My Birthday and had a marvelous dinner. Fabulous rolls, followed by a nice sized portion house salad. The salmon was amazing. Two of us had it and talked about how good it was the rest of the meal. Duck, veal other items eaten at our table. Grand reviews. Split the chocolate cake for my birthday and it was delicious, decadent and delightful. A wonderful evening. Make reservations as the place fills up into the evening. Thanks, O'Neil's for a great birthday.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been here several timesfoodieover40VIPDined on 2/13/2014I have been here several times now and enjoy the food but this was the first time that my friends were there. We were there on a Thursday night and when we got there it was fairly empty. It was puzzling why it took so long for someone to ask us if we would like a drink. The rest of the evening the service was ok, not outstanding, but passable. However, we were asked if we'd like coffee but we had to ask for a dessert menu. Strange....you think they would want to sell as much product as possible....I think the server was more interested in watching the Olympics. I would give it another try, but I think some additional management of the staff might improve the service.Special Features:
- fine food close byJackDined on 1/31/2014a fine diverse interesting dinner menu at affordable prices. We enjoyed the lamb osso buco and the scallops. Portions were just right and service right on time for both beverage and food, no hovering or pushing. You can schedule your evening around a comfortable dinner here. There was a capacity clientele on a Friday evening however conversation was at a normal level and there was no sense of staff rushing around. Ambiance is functional. This is not for your cozy romantic getaway - just have a very nice dinner experience and move on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular patronOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2014Always reliable well prepared fresh foods,attractively presented. Liked the new appetizer of artichokes on bed of lentils and Would like to see more similar vegetarian additions to the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.