One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
101 Meadowmount Village Circle
Chapel Hill, NC 27517Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.one-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 9195378207x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 until Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Floresca & Daniel Ryan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact reservations to reserve your private dining experience.
- Entertainment: Watch the kitchen brigade prepare their gourmet masterpieces in the open kitchen, viewable from any seat in the restaurant.
A word from One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
Having both started cooking at a young age, our executive chefs Kim and Daniel have a combined experience of over 26 years in the hospitality industry. Their work experience includes various positions in the most celebrated restaurants on the planet, such as Per Se (New York), The French Laundry (Napa Valley), Alinea (Chicago) and El Bulli in Roses Spain. Most recently, Kim and Daniel served on the executive management team at the three Michelin-Star rated restaurants “The Restaurant at Meadowood” in Napa Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (99)notable wine list (75)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (14)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Has it all.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Service highly adept, kind, and courteous all at once. Food ingenious, exciting, sophisticated, AND comforting all at once. Genuine excellence, with emphasis on both words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014So happy to have a restaurant of this quality in The Triangle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningTiger37Dined on 10/24/2014The service was knowledgeable if a bit uneven. The food was excellent; all 4 of my party agreed. They have a super wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantRalucaDined on 10/24/2014Exquisite food, outstanding service. The ONE to try!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceDianeDined on 10/23/2014Thank you for all the time and effort you put into the preparation of your food presentations. The menu is a bit off putting, specifically the starter descriptions. Despite this we Found our mackerel starter delicious and amusing in that you had deconstructed or Perhaps reconstructed an old recipe of my Russian Nana - baked mackerel served with sour cream and Onions! Yours was an upscale, refined version of this rustic dish and brought back memories. Our ribeyes were terrific, perfectly prepared. Our dessert choice was a disappointment - too bland With the gooseberries. Needed a kick, we felt. But your tastings you provided were delicious and Appreciated. Service was excellent - a well trained staff . Thank you for a lovely eveningI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = great -- Atmosphere = AwfulprofjrobertsVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food here is outstanding. The dishes well-conceived and well-executed. The presentation is exquisite. The wine list is pricey, but the by the glass selections are excellent. The atmosphere, however, is terrible. The space feels antiseptic and cold. There is no energy. The service staff tries too hard to be formal. They are not natural at it so it comes off like an act. It feels like a high-end retirement home cafeteria. If you only care about the food it is one of the best places in the area, but the entire experience is just not a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Very InterestingsnugasaDined on 10/18/2014Very interesting menu. Food was excellent. I think they are trying too hard to be different and it comes off as being a bit pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but service slowGobletofRockDined on 10/11/2014Wedding anniversary dinner on a Sat. evening. Every aspect of service was slow: slow to take orders, slow to receive drinks and food, etc. Most of the time the waiter would walk by quickly, avoiding eye contact. Initially sat for 45 minutes before receiving any food at all: finally some bread and butter and a few other small complimentaries. On the upside, the food was delicious and expertly presented.Special Features:
- Impromptu Tasting Menu-Deceptive!luvseafoodDined on 10/11/2014There are 2 choices for doing a tasting menu here - either the 4 Course Tasting, from the regular menu "Select 4 a la carte options to create a tasting of your choices - limit of one selection from land & sea" or the Impromptu Tasting, "allow our chefs to prepare a 6 course menu of surprises". The Impromptu is significantly more expensive and one does not expect to be served regular menu items. We should have saved money and just had the 4 Course Tasting, instead. Very Disappointing!!Special Features:
- Fabulous!kellyhDined on 10/8/2014We went there on a Wednesday night so it was not crowded. The three of us did the 4-course sampling selection, each of us sampling a different item from each section of the menu and passing our plates to the right so we all got to taste over 50% of the menu! The presentation was amazing, such detail, and the tastes were exquisite! Desserts were particularly artistic. This was truly a special meal, ranking up there with the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it was six months ago.ChapelHillDiningDined on 10/7/2014It's still good food, but definitely not as good as it was. The service used to be amazing, as well, but is just average now. We've been here 8-10 times and the last two visits were subpar. I think we'll try others for a while, now.
- Just short of excellenttravelginDined on 10/7/2014All the ingredients are here for exceptional 'nouveau upscale' dining but to our tastes it fell just short. Menu definitely needs explaining and the server did a good job educating the diner. We chose the four course option and therefore were able to sample eight different menu selections. The presentation was excellent but while some selections were spot on, others fell short in appropriate flavor.Special Features:
- Simply Fantastic!vaTarHeelVIPDined on 10/4/2014What a dining experience! On a busy Saturday night, with a party of six, we were seated right on time. The service was impeccable with starting with the waiter who was extemely knowledgable, pleasant and unobtrusive. Every course was brought to the table by multiple servers so plates were set at the same time. The food combinations were very unique and the presentations were worthy of photograghs in any gourmet magazine... compliments to the chef! We had late reservations, were the last ones there but never felt rushed. Of course it was expensive, but considering what we had was very reasonably priced. This was difinitely one of the best dining experiences we've ever had, can highly recommend and we will be back!Special Features:
- Enchanting!lovingfreedomVIPDined on 10/4/2014Not often have I considered a meal enchanting, if ever, but that's the word that comes to mind after a wonderful meal in a pleasant environment with a knowledgeable and attentive waiter! Of course, the food presentation is the star of the show yet the taste was as impeccable as the sight! We hope to return again soon. My husband and I both had the 4 course tasting menu and it was perfect. I especially loved the wonderful pineapple thread dessert - it was heavenly - and most of all, not too sweet!Special Features:
- Special and Innovative for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014While the service was slow, the food was outstanding. New and innovative and a lot had to be explained by the waiter… The pineapple ribbon dessert was superb! Wines by the glass were the most expensive I have seen in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcnellDined on 9/26/2014The amuse and after-dinner sweets were fun and tasty. Our entrees fell a little flat, but the other three courses were very enjoyable. Service is lacking some polish, but is kind and attentive nonetheless. Very enjoyable overall.Special Features:
- Fantastic!MichielVIPDined on 9/25/2014We are so glad with ONE having landed in our back yard. Clearly the best restaurant in the region, adding to the appeal of the Triangle area. We love the added attraction of the open kitchen.Special Features:
- Entrees very blandDiningdebDined on 9/20/2014Our apps were good but we were very disappointed in our two entrees. We each had a different fish dish and both were bland in flavor, lacking any brightness. The texture was soft/ mushy. When we noted this to our server, he said yes, the meat dishes were better. That isn't the point. Given the reputation at One and their prices, all entrees should Be strong. Dessert was the big stand out.
- Fantastic, Artistic Food2DurhamFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014We absolutely enjoyed our dining experience at One. Not only was the food fantastic, it was artistic and unique…and we have pretty high standards. We will go back…soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Very, very special food. It is a wonderful dining experience. Not like a typical restaurant, so a little difficult to describe. Not only great food, but excellent service. My first choice for a special occasion restaurant in our area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningPookyDined on 9/18/2014Took our daughter for a special evening and the food was wonderful. Presentation, especially the peach ice cream dessert was unbelievable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary with their "Impromptu" dining experience. All I can say is "OMG". If you are a foodie and want something unlike any dining experience in the Triangle, you need to make your way to ONE. 7+ courses that paired the most unique elements and which all were indescribably delicious. Exotic, Ecclectic, Unique and absolutely ONE of a kind. A definite MUST. Rated number one in the area for 2014; now I know why.Special Features:
- ONEoneisbest4allDined on 9/13/2014this place is amazing! great food and equally great service..highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We ate at ONE for my husband's birthday and it exceeded our expectations! We received special "treats" to start and more treats with our bill - the four course tasting was the perfect amount of food, the service was impeccable, the wine suggestions were lovely, and all the food was especially fresh, creative, thoughtful and beautiful. We can't wait to go again. Our compliments to the chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One, you had me at helloFoodobsessedDurhamDined on 9/12/2014Although it was our first time dining at One, we were greeted by name, which was nice. We had the 4 course tasting menu, which was absolutely the perfect amount of food for one sitting. From the moment the amuse bouche came out, I knew our experience was going to be exceptional. The chicken liver puree with chocolate wafers blew me away, and the 3 additional tiny treats were the perfect introduction to the creative, incredibly detail-oriented, and beautifully presented food we enjoyed throughout our meal. Service was exceptional. The wine list is enormous with a wide variety of price points.Special Features:
- [One] Without A SecondGianDined on 9/11/2014We had the Impromptu Tasting Menu and it was flawless from the amuse bouche to the second dessert. Our dietary restrictions were honored. Each dish was more memorable than the last. A work of culinary artistry and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary & Birthday CelebrationKendraVIPDined on 9/11/2014We choose the chefs tasting menu which is adventurous since you have no idea what will be served. The waiter will ask if any one has any allergies or food restrictions which guides the chef for a personal menu for the night. It was a great surprise that with a table of 4, two people would get the same dish and the other two would get something different,great so that we could try each others dishes. We loved every dish that came out and loved the complex flavors and with a presentation that was memorizing. All the deserts were different so we decided to take a bite and pass the plate so that everyone could try the amazing desserts. Kim and Daniel bring exceptional food to Chapel Hill ! We are so lucky to have these chefs in NCSpecial Features:
- The Art of Food!SamAndChuckDined on 9/9/2014We are so lucky to have a restaurant like One in this area. Each stage of the experience is extraordinary. With that said, the atmosphere is not snooty and questions are welcome. Those that work there are very proud of their craft and have found a home to really practice it and not have to cut corners. We never felt rushed. When we dine at One we usually sit facing the kitchen to see the work going on. For our foodie friends this is a must event. Looking forward to another experience at One.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely anniversary dinnerOccasionaldnrDined on 9/6/2014We made out first visit to One for a special occasion, a wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed. The meal was delicious (my wife had the barbecue cobia and I had the rib eye). The portions were modest, but sufficient. We split a faux peach dessert, which was light and wonderful. The service was excellent. Our servre was very helpful in explaining menu items and recommending wine pairings. And there were extras, from the warm pretzel rolls to the small chef's surprise bite-size appetizers. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014As always, superb! A great meal, super service, wonderful company. What could be better? Just when you think One has gotten as perfect as possible, you return to find a new definition of the word.Special Features:
- Food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014The food was excellent. We had the four course tasting menu. Even though each portion wad relatively small, the grand total was a lot of food. Only complaint was that the temperature in the restaurant was cold, even favor people who like things on the chilly side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but failedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We went for a special occasion. Our reservations were for 8:30 we were not seated until after 9 which was fine but we ordered the 7course meal and it took SOOOO long in between courses that we were there very late (we had a sitter at home) and we felt rushed when we did get the food to move quickly to the next one only to wait more; also by the end they were literally cleaning the kitchen so I am sure our last few courses were what they had left over. The only dietary restriction we had was no beef- and they brought a mooing cow to our table. To their credit the food we could eat was good; they comped a good part of bill without us asking, the server was very nice and dealt with what seemed like a kitchen issue wellSpecial Features:
- Don't go hungrypretentiousVIPDined on 8/30/2014350 for 4 prix fixe meals and drinks ( before tip ) and one of our party didn't drink at all. The portions are tiny, but well presented. The Prix Fixe was 4 courses for 48 bucks, still trying to see how we ran through 150 bucks of booze with two cocktails, four glasses of wine and two digestives. I guess the take-away is eat before you go here and meet at a bar first before you eat.Special Features:
- Unforgetable eveningfoodie4funDined on 8/23/2014We had a great meal ! We went for the "impromptu" tasting Menu and were pleasantly surprised. We've been there before and would go back at any time. Service was also extremely good. Our lady server was nice, polite and very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Creative and freshSmallpebblesDined on 8/23/2014We had the four-course dinner, which allows for each diner to select four items from the menu. Each dish was extremely creative, delicate, beautifully presented, and with interesting pairings of flavors. It took awhile to figure out the menu, which has an unusual presentation of unique offerings. The food is so elegant that the setting appears a bit more casual than it deserves. We are lucky to have this restaurant in Chapel Hill!Special Features:
- Fantastic food & PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/22/2014We had our best meal in recent memory at [ONE] the other night. This is saying something because we have eaten at a number of nationally famous restaurants. The food was inventive, beautifully presented, unbelievably delicious, and came in good portion sizes. Service was excellent, attentive without being annoying, and not at all pretentious. The restaurant's decor is nice, but nothing special, and it was pleasantly quiet. The price was comparable to what one usually pays around here for far more mundane meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!DecentVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have dined here many times and are always impressed. They change the menu frequently which keeps it interesting for those of us who like to eat here often. Food is incredible! Always creative, delicious and inventive. Not to mention it's a great deal, especially the impromptu and 4-course options. HIGHLY recommend for anyone who loves food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is SuperbFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food at One is superb and the menu very interesting. The presentation is beautiful and the creativity is phenomenal. We enjoyed the four course dinner and a bottle of fine wine but did find the service to be a little uneven on this particular visit. We were, for a party of two, in the restaurant for 2.5 hours, which is quite a bit longer than we would have preferred, even for a nice leisurely dining experience. The server was less than attentive and seemed to forget about us, with far too much time elapsing between courses. I am not sure whether this was a snafu in the kitchen or whether our server was preoccupied, but in order to really maximize patrons' dining experience, the service should be better than we saw this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oneisbest4allDined on 8/15/2014we had a great meal with good service..what more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but room to growlarahusaryDined on 8/15/2014Overall we had a great experience (being at the Triangle). I visited with a friend that's a Chef, and I have been able to try some of the best restaurants in the world. Because of the background of the Chefs, I had really high expectations. Almost everything was very good, great combinations, but I was surprised that: - One of the dishes was very salty (the brocolli wasn't overseasoned) - There were no chocolate desserts! (although the rest were great) I will recommend the place and hopefully soon it can grow, keep the standards and become a unique and well know restaurant in the South.Special Features: