One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
101 Meadowmount Village Circle
Chapel Hill, NC 27517Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.one-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (919) 537-8207
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 until Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kim Floresca & Daniel Ryan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact reservations to reserve your private dining experience.
- Entertainment: Watch the kitchen brigade prepare their gourmet masterpieces in the open kitchen, viewable from any seat in the restaurant.
A word from One Restaurant - Chapel Hill
Having both started cooking at a young age, our executive chefs Kim and Daniel have a combined experience of over 26 years in the hospitality industry. Their work experience includes various positions in the most celebrated restaurants on the planet, such as Per Se (New York), The French Laundry (Napa Valley), Alinea (Chicago) and El Bulli in Roses Spain. Most recently, Kim and Daniel served on the executive management team at the three Michelin-Star rated restaurants “The Restaurant at Meadowood” in Napa Valley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
One Restaurant - Chapel Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (107)notable wine list (80)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (20)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Need to try againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014We liked modern feel of this place. Staff was very polite and attentive, yet perhaps a bit stiff and serious. The appetizer of eggplant chickpea mesquite was excellent as was the potato agnolotti. Great homemade pretzel rolls. The entrees were good but not extraordinary: the pork tenderloin was cooked nicely and was moist but it was not the flavor adventure we expected - similar experience with the grouper. The toasted meringue dessert was a wonderful collage of flavors. So the beginning and the end was great but the middle needed inspiration. We'll be back for another shot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensational restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2014My husband and I had the most enjoyable evening last weekend on a cold November evening at ONE! We sat at the bar to observe all the bustlings of the kitchen. We were mesmerized by the orchestration. Normally when we dine, we are interested in the happenings in the kitchen for a while, but we could not take our eyes off this magical production. Every single chef, server, sommelier, was polite and took the time to genuinely ask us for our input. The food was truly remarkable. The presentation was total art. We can honestly say that it is, bar none, our top restaurant in our whole lives. And, to have a perspective of our experience, that is 67 years of tasting food! We thank all at One-Restaurant for such a memorable evening. Sincerely, Wade and Marcy WeathersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could give it 4 1/2 starsfoodloverVIPDined on 11/11/2014Generally our food was very good. My daughter loved her dinner from beginning to end (lettuce hearts, potato agnolotti, pork tenderloin, pinaepple threads). Mine was very good (eggplant, squash veloute, ribeye,toasted meringue) except the ribeye was not well seasoned and I didn't like the toasted meringue at all. The 4 course tasting menu is a good deal and a lot of food. The service was very good and our waiter thoughtfully moved us away from the two loud, large tables we were seated next to to a quieter part of the restaurant without our even having to ask. Anticipate a European dining experience with lots of small courses and time to digest between each. I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousCJB1Dined on 11/8/2014This was the best meal I've eaten since moving to the area two years ago. The food was on par with the best restaurants I've eaten in, regardless of where it was, and to discover such a gem in a small upscale shopping precinct like Meadowmont was a gift. Clever, thoughtful food, rich in contrast of flavor and texture. Everything on the plate was there for a reason, and worked perfectly. Although it was food as theatre, it wasn't unnecessarily showy either - just beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a top oneDotchompsbrotherVIPDined on 11/4/2014Amuse bouche delicious. Beef tartare excellent. Hen very good. Dinner rolls and butter superb. Dessert - dark chocolate - interesting. Only weakness service. Excellent generally.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We had a fantastic meal and outstanding and professional service. Our dishes were interesting, creative and well presented. I would definitely go again. I loved the earthy, grouper dish that I had as an entree.Special Features:
- Absolutely Phenomenal, a Foodie's DelightAndreVIPDined on 11/1/2014Hands down this is the best dining experience in the Triangle. A beautiful open kitchen, perfect lighting and great service complement unique and creative takes on food the way it is meant to be eaten. The lineage of The French Laundry and Per Se are evident right away. An experience that should not be missed so long as your wallet allows it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a great chemistry!lur1961Dined on 10/31/2014A great dinner means quality, fantasy in conjunctin with a detectable amount of real food. Here, it's not a matter of quality; but in certain cases we are talking of ridiculus, homeopatic, micromolar quantity of food. Overall, a great chemistry! Good selection of wines. Unfortunately, those wines are also clearly overprized. By fixing these important issues, it will become a great place for a dinner and one of the best restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Explosion of FlavorsBirthdaygirlVIPDined on 10/31/2014We did the four course tasting: our appetizers included potato agnolotti, sweetbreads, beets with flavors of hummas and lettuce hearts. All were outstanding-something simple as lettuce hearts was turned into something fantastic. Entrees included grouper and sunburst trout. Every bite had different texture and flavors. We felt like we were on a journey of flavor surprises which were all terrific. Desserts of pineapple threads and toasted meringue bites were outstanding. Also tried the Catskills Coupe-vodka, fresh lime and lavender-Oh my! This is a must visit place if you're in the Chapel Hill area. We will go back next time we're in the area.Special Features:
- Has it all.SeldomSatisfiedDined on 10/28/2014Service highly adept, kind, and courteous all at once. Food ingenious, exciting, sophisticated, AND comforting all at once. Genuine excellence, with emphasis on both words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were fabulous!Dodge001Dined on 10/28/2014So happy to have a restaurant of this quality in The Triangle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningTiger37Dined on 10/24/2014The service was knowledgeable if a bit uneven. The food was excellent; all 4 of my party agreed. They have a super wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding restaurantRalucaDined on 10/24/2014Exquisite food, outstanding service. The ONE to try!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceDianeDined on 10/23/2014Thank you for all the time and effort you put into the preparation of your food presentations. The menu is a bit off putting, specifically the starter descriptions. Despite this we Found our mackerel starter delicious and amusing in that you had deconstructed or Perhaps reconstructed an old recipe of my Russian Nana - baked mackerel served with sour cream and Onions! Yours was an upscale, refined version of this rustic dish and brought back memories. Our ribeyes were terrific, perfectly prepared. Our dessert choice was a disappointment - too bland With the gooseberries. Needed a kick, we felt. But your tastings you provided were delicious and Appreciated. Service was excellent - a well trained staff . Thank you for a lovely eveningI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = great -- Atmosphere = AwfulprofjrobertsVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food here is outstanding. The dishes well-conceived and well-executed. The presentation is exquisite. The wine list is pricey, but the by the glass selections are excellent. The atmosphere, however, is terrible. The space feels antiseptic and cold. There is no energy. The service staff tries too hard to be formal. They are not natural at it so it comes off like an act. It feels like a high-end retirement home cafeteria. If you only care about the food it is one of the best places in the area, but the entire experience is just not a lot of fun.Special Features:
- chefs dinner is a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/18/2014we had the chefs dinner with our college age kids, we all loved it, the food tasted amazing and was beautifully prepared. we sat at the bar and got to watch some cooking which was fun too. we were celebarting our daughters birthday and they made an amazing dessert for her. also we were 4 people and they served 2 different dishes each course so we essentially tasted 14 different dishes at our 7 course meal, yum yumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very InterestingsnugasaDined on 10/18/2014Very interesting menu. Food was excellent. I think they are trying too hard to be different and it comes off as being a bit pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but service slowGobletofRockDined on 10/11/2014Wedding anniversary dinner on a Sat. evening. Every aspect of service was slow: slow to take orders, slow to receive drinks and food, etc. Most of the time the waiter would walk by quickly, avoiding eye contact. Initially sat for 45 minutes before receiving any food at all: finally some bread and butter and a few other small complimentaries. On the upside, the food was delicious and expertly presented.Special Features:
- Impromptu Tasting Menu-Deceptive!luvseafoodDined on 10/11/2014There are 2 choices for doing a tasting menu here - either the 4 Course Tasting, from the regular menu "Select 4 a la carte options to create a tasting of your choices - limit of one selection from land & sea" or the Impromptu Tasting, "allow our chefs to prepare a 6 course menu of surprises". The Impromptu is significantly more expensive and one does not expect to be served regular menu items. We should have saved money and just had the 4 Course Tasting, instead. Very Disappointing!!Special Features:
- Fabulous!kellyhDined on 10/8/2014We went there on a Wednesday night so it was not crowded. The three of us did the 4-course sampling selection, each of us sampling a different item from each section of the menu and passing our plates to the right so we all got to taste over 50% of the menu! The presentation was amazing, such detail, and the tastes were exquisite! Desserts were particularly artistic. This was truly a special meal, ranking up there with the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it was six months ago.ChapelHillDiningDined on 10/7/2014It's still good food, but definitely not as good as it was. The service used to be amazing, as well, but is just average now. We've been here 8-10 times and the last two visits were subpar. I think we'll try others for a while, now.
- Just short of excellenttravelginDined on 10/7/2014All the ingredients are here for exceptional 'nouveau upscale' dining but to our tastes it fell just short. Menu definitely needs explaining and the server did a good job educating the diner. We chose the four course option and therefore were able to sample eight different menu selections. The presentation was excellent but while some selections were spot on, others fell short in appropriate flavor.Special Features:
- Simply Fantastic!vaTarHeelVIPDined on 10/4/2014What a dining experience! On a busy Saturday night, with a party of six, we were seated right on time. The service was impeccable with starting with the waiter who was extemely knowledgable, pleasant and unobtrusive. Every course was brought to the table by multiple servers so plates were set at the same time. The food combinations were very unique and the presentations were worthy of photograghs in any gourmet magazine... compliments to the chef! We had late reservations, were the last ones there but never felt rushed. Of course it was expensive, but considering what we had was very reasonably priced. This was difinitely one of the best dining experiences we've ever had, can highly recommend and we will be back!Special Features:
- Enchanting!lovingfreedomVIPDined on 10/4/2014Not often have I considered a meal enchanting, if ever, but that's the word that comes to mind after a wonderful meal in a pleasant environment with a knowledgeable and attentive waiter! Of course, the food presentation is the star of the show yet the taste was as impeccable as the sight! We hope to return again soon. My husband and I both had the 4 course tasting menu and it was perfect. I especially loved the wonderful pineapple thread dessert - it was heavenly - and most of all, not too sweet!Special Features:
- Special and Innovative for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014While the service was slow, the food was outstanding. New and innovative and a lot had to be explained by the waiter… The pineapple ribbon dessert was superb! Wines by the glass were the most expensive I have seen in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcnellDined on 9/26/2014The amuse and after-dinner sweets were fun and tasty. Our entrees fell a little flat, but the other three courses were very enjoyable. Service is lacking some polish, but is kind and attentive nonetheless. Very enjoyable overall.Special Features:
- Fantastic!MichielVIPDined on 9/25/2014We are so glad with ONE having landed in our back yard. Clearly the best restaurant in the region, adding to the appeal of the Triangle area. We love the added attraction of the open kitchen.Special Features:
- Entrees very blandDiningdebDined on 9/20/2014Our apps were good but we were very disappointed in our two entrees. We each had a different fish dish and both were bland in flavor, lacking any brightness. The texture was soft/ mushy. When we noted this to our server, he said yes, the meat dishes were better. That isn't the point. Given the reputation at One and their prices, all entrees should Be strong. Dessert was the big stand out.
- Fantastic, Artistic Food2DurhamFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014We absolutely enjoyed our dining experience at One. Not only was the food fantastic, it was artistic and unique…and we have pretty high standards. We will go back…soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Very, very special food. It is a wonderful dining experience. Not like a typical restaurant, so a little difficult to describe. Not only great food, but excellent service. My first choice for a special occasion restaurant in our area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningPookyDined on 9/18/2014Took our daughter for a special evening and the food was wonderful. Presentation, especially the peach ice cream dessert was unbelievable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary with their "Impromptu" dining experience. All I can say is "OMG". If you are a foodie and want something unlike any dining experience in the Triangle, you need to make your way to ONE. 7+ courses that paired the most unique elements and which all were indescribably delicious. Exotic, Ecclectic, Unique and absolutely ONE of a kind. A definite MUST. Rated number one in the area for 2014; now I know why.Special Features:
- ONEoneisbest4allDined on 9/13/2014this place is amazing! great food and equally great service..highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We ate at ONE for my husband's birthday and it exceeded our expectations! We received special "treats" to start and more treats with our bill - the four course tasting was the perfect amount of food, the service was impeccable, the wine suggestions were lovely, and all the food was especially fresh, creative, thoughtful and beautiful. We can't wait to go again. Our compliments to the chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One, you had me at helloFoodobsessedDurhamDined on 9/12/2014Although it was our first time dining at One, we were greeted by name, which was nice. We had the 4 course tasting menu, which was absolutely the perfect amount of food for one sitting. From the moment the amuse bouche came out, I knew our experience was going to be exceptional. The chicken liver puree with chocolate wafers blew me away, and the 3 additional tiny treats were the perfect introduction to the creative, incredibly detail-oriented, and beautifully presented food we enjoyed throughout our meal. Service was exceptional. The wine list is enormous with a wide variety of price points.Special Features:
- [One] Without A SecondGianDined on 9/11/2014We had the Impromptu Tasting Menu and it was flawless from the amuse bouche to the second dessert. Our dietary restrictions were honored. Each dish was more memorable than the last. A work of culinary artistry and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary & Birthday CelebrationKendraVIPDined on 9/11/2014We choose the chefs tasting menu which is adventurous since you have no idea what will be served. The waiter will ask if any one has any allergies or food restrictions which guides the chef for a personal menu for the night. It was a great surprise that with a table of 4, two people would get the same dish and the other two would get something different,great so that we could try each others dishes. We loved every dish that came out and loved the complex flavors and with a presentation that was memorizing. All the deserts were different so we decided to take a bite and pass the plate so that everyone could try the amazing desserts. Kim and Daniel bring exceptional food to Chapel Hill ! We are so lucky to have these chefs in NCSpecial Features:
- The Art of Food!SamAndChuckDined on 9/9/2014We are so lucky to have a restaurant like One in this area. Each stage of the experience is extraordinary. With that said, the atmosphere is not snooty and questions are welcome. Those that work there are very proud of their craft and have found a home to really practice it and not have to cut corners. We never felt rushed. When we dine at One we usually sit facing the kitchen to see the work going on. For our foodie friends this is a must event. Looking forward to another experience at One.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely anniversary dinnerOccasionaldnrVIPDined on 9/6/2014We made out first visit to One for a special occasion, a wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed. The meal was delicious (my wife had the barbecue cobia and I had the rib eye). The portions were modest, but sufficient. We split a faux peach dessert, which was light and wonderful. The service was excellent. Our servre was very helpful in explaining menu items and recommending wine pairings. And there were extras, from the warm pretzel rolls to the small chef's surprise bite-size appetizers. Overall, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014As always, superb! A great meal, super service, wonderful company. What could be better? Just when you think One has gotten as perfect as possible, you return to find a new definition of the word.Special Features: