1 Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/
- Phone: 3105871717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch, Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am – 2:30 pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am – 3:00 pm; Dinner, Nightly: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Isaac Gamboa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From an intimate dinner for 5 to a corporate dinner for 55 to a catered wedding for 205, Shutters on the Beach offers relaxed elegance and friendly service to complement its delicious food. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, there is no better place to plan your next special occasion. Let us handle every detail. We specialize in engagement parties (as well as engagements), bridal and wedding showers, rehearsal dinners, and of course, the big day too! Our private rooms are perfect for corporate dinners as well. Please call our catering offices at (310) 458-0030.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Friddle 3105871717
- Entertainment: Lounge entertainment 7 nights a week from 6:00pm-11:00pm
A word from One Pico
Perched above the beach with sweeping ocean views, a burning fireplace and featuring a seasonal market menu, One Pico is your destination for upscale, coastal dining. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2012, One Pico is recognized as premier restaurant for wine enthusiasts. Order Grilled Octopus or Smoked and Braised Beef Short Rib from our seasonal menu or try the "Vine-To-Table" menu – a 3-course prix fixe menu with wine pairings from the monthly featured grape.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
One Pico - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
One Pico reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (134)special occasion (94)romantic (83)fit for foodies (57)notable wine list (52)great for brunch (50)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (24)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (13)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- 1pico is number 1 in Santa MonicaDeePeeDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is a must If it's a special occasion...if it's not a special occasion go anyway it's fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is the restaurant that should be on everyone's bucket list at least for a special occassion. Everything and everyone were exceptable, especially the food and its presentation.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I took my girlfriend here for a romantic meal after our engagement, I was really impressed. Friendly service, great food, great view of sunset, and beautiful inside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014I though the food was not worth the price that was paid. It was just fair and I expected GREAT!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014A beautiful neighborhood gem, who knew it was there?! Ambiance was beautiful. More like French Italian, very small portions at very high prices. Wine list is extensive but cheapest bottle is $65, maybe 6 bottles under $100. Even though the staff was standing around, they would not serve us until our whole party was there, we had to ask for drinks and bread twice?! My daughter asked if we could go out for pizza after dinner of $400!Special Features:
- No longer worth goingpvaeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for brunch on Saturday. Food was abysmal. Frittata was more of an egg frisbee. Pork belly hash - pork belly was not properly cooked and the dish wasn't even a hash. Cocktail was good, though. Restaurant was almost completely empty when it should not have been. I guess we didn't get the memo that the chef changed, or something. The other guests were really strange ...
- One Happy Customer!TonyHTonyHVIPDined on 8/29/2014First of all, kudos to the bartender for crafting a perfect Dirty Gin Martini and Pimm's Cup! The atmosphere was a bit stuffy for my taste, but nice overall. The service was wonderful and the menu presents plenty of options. My vegan guest found no shortage of options and I found the fish to be outstanding. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a romantic spot or a quiet restaurant with beach view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ddbcdmVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was not impressed. I was taking clients for dinner. The service was ok. The food did not justify the price at all. After many years, this is the first open table review I have written because I think the other reviews were way too favorable.Special Features:
- One Pico----The One To TryJonathanDined on 8/23/2014Remembered the "Shutters Hotel" from a business meeting awhile back. While looking for an ocean view fine dining restaurant for diner with my wife...found One Pico. What a gem!! Last month we were at the St Regis in Orange County....and One Pico whipped them hands down...Ambiance...Service...and FOOD! A must try for any romantic occasion.Special Features:
- A lovely spotJohnDined on 8/23/2014We went for brunch at Shutters to celebrate with our two children, their spouses, and our nearly two-year-old granddaughter. It was a wonderful experience in every way. The brunch was superb, the service excellent, the view of the Pacific unmatched. It was our 45th wedding anniversary, and I cannot think of another place I would have preferred being.Special Features:
- So great, so smooth, so wonderful !GuillaumefrDined on 8/20/2014Special place, great view, great service, everything is in the good flow. Menu is not too large but enough to make you searching what to eat a long time.., wine list also was well composed. Best in Santa Monica. Will be back there eyes closed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved seeing the sunset!RobbieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our table had a perfect view of the ocean, the pier and then the sun setting and the ocean glistening. It was beautiful. The food is excellent. The only downside was the dessert. I've been gluten free for about three years and am accustomed to seeing some type of gluten free dessert. They did serve fruit with ice cream or a trio of sorbets but it would have been nice to have a flourless chocolate cake or something of that sort -- we were celebrating a big birthday and a bowl of strawberries doesn't do it. Otherwise, you can't beat the ambience.Special Features:
- JooleDined on 8/18/2014Short rib was not good-mushy... but filet mignon was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pacific Rim PerfectionCorianderDined on 8/18/2014Hosted a party for prominent Chinese guests. Every detail perfect. I brought a centerpiece, otherwise the large wood table by the fireplace would have been bare. Aesthetic of the restaurant is spare, but elegant. Candles were added as the sunset faded. Wonderful evening, enjoyed by all.Special Features:
- ONE PICO @ SHUTTERS ON THE BEACHSHUTTERSDined on 8/16/2014GREAT SERVICE, FAB RESTAURANT DECOR, LOVE THE WAITERS UNIFORMS. WISH FOR A MORE "ORIGINAL" BRUNCH FOR THE PRICESpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014I have been at One Pico over five times throughout the year, and sadly, I must acknowledge that over the past two years, this restaurant is declining rapidly as a special place on my list. I was there for a Saturday brunch. It was a beautiful day and sat overlooking Santa Monica beach. For the prices, the food is lacking. My friend order the frittata which had virtually no taste. My lobster BLT was fine; nothing special but decent. In the midst of our meal, our waiter, without informing us, went off on a "break" as we came to understand by someone else who served us in his absence. BTW, he never returned, nor did his replacement mention his break until after we inquired missing him for 15 minutes. For the prices...better food/serv.Special Features:
- A great lunchAlexDined on 8/10/2014One Pico had phenomenal service and a well thought-out menu. The view of Santa Monica beach is unmatched (perhaps only by Coast, located directly downstairs). It is a phenomenal place and I would recommend it to any friend.Special Features:
- A wonderful start to a weekendfogiesnightoutDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I have never been disappointed at One Pico. The quality of the food, ambiance and service combine to make up an extremely evening. This evening was enhanced even further by a fabulous server, who went out of her way to help without being pushy. We could even have a conversation without shouting and the bartender started the evening off with perfectly made cocktails. We will certainly return many times.Special Features:
- Always a great experience!datenightDined on 8/6/2014This is our third visit to One Pico. We had a table by the window overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean. The food and wine was absolutely amazing! This has become one of our favorite restaurants in LA!Special Features:
- ClassyNickiwombleDined on 8/6/2014We loved One Pico. The location of the hotel is amazing, right on the white sandy beach. The atmosphere in One Pico is one of traditional elegance and the decor is right from an interiors magazine. The service was friendly and attentive (but not too much so). The food was good, with lunch choices varied and tasty. The wine was reasonably priced for a glass of very nice wine. We couldn't have asked for more. Thank you One Pico.Special Features:
- Great setting & service.Food okay.wadinerDined on 8/6/2014Beautiful spot on Santa Monica beach. You can't beat it. Service is great and staff do their best to accommodate your needs and requests. I ordered the tomato and calamari starters. Whilst nicely flavoured they were quite simple and lacked panache. I had the turkey burger for the main. It was dry and there was too much meat relative to other fillings. Again overall satisfying but it left you wanting something more. We didn't stay for dessert. Overall I enjoyed the dining experience but wish the food was just as inspiring as the view. Would love to give One Pico another go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningLACTGregularDined on 8/3/2014We hosted a very special celebration for a small group and everything about the evening was wonderful. The hostess was warm, friendly and helpful in getting us all settled. The staff that attended us knew just when to step in and made it easy for us to enjoy one another and the evening of fine dinning and a beautiful sunset. I am very thankful and appreciative to all the folks, as well as the chefs.Special Features:
- Lovely Beach RestaurantMytablepicksDined on 8/3/2014Just celebrated a friend's birthday there. One Pico has a great upscale, yet casual feel. The food is wonderful, good service and fabulous view. It is a perfect place for celebrations and to entertain out of town guests. They will love it.Special Features:
- diningout1VIPDined on 8/3/2014We had a lovely brunch at One Pico. We had a friend in town from the Midwest who loves the beach. One Pico was perfect. We had great food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Employees 20th anniversary dinner1SteakloverDined on 8/2/2014One Pico is a charnming restaurant right on the beach. We wish we had time to take our shoes off and walk the border or in the sand after dinner. Beautiful sunset could be seen even from the side back of restaurant. It feels elegant yet comfortable. Not at all stuffy, just really special and just crazy good food. I am 53, love steak and the ribeye was one of the best I've ever had. It was a wonderful evening for all of us! Superb service too!Special Features:
- So OverpricedmysteriosoDined on 8/2/2014I'd like to tell you about how great the food tasted but there was so little of it on my plate that my taste buds never came out of resting mode. I got the Sea Bass and it amounted to two very thin strips of fish, not even covering the center of the plate. Along with that were a few mini-carrots at the tar outer edge of the plate. I suppose the carrots were there so the Sea Bass didn't get lonely, even though the two were miles apart. Go for the ambience, dress nice, be prepared to be ripped off.Special Features:
- Good ServicenewfoodietoLADined on 8/1/2014I always forget to get the servers name which I need to get better at because the server we had was a delight. This was good - we started with the tuna tartare which was super fresh and delicious! I ordered the fish special which was a white fish similar to sea bass - very tender and flavorful! My friend ordered the steak frites - prepared exactly to her specifications. Add a great bottle of sauvignon blanc and it was the perfect evening for a catch up session between friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingnzmeetsusaDined on 7/30/2014Food was outstanding, wine was great, mood and atmosphere was fabulous and romantic - great place for a date night!Special Features:
- Not going back for dinnerMamaofYofiVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have enjoyed a number of lovely lunches at One Pico and decided to go for dinner. At lunch the atmosphere is relaxed and quiet. We were therefore surprised that at dinner the restaurant becomes so loud you can barely hear your friends around the table. Monday night was our second time for dinner and we won't be going back. I ordered the swordfish and it was so overcooked we sent it back. Our server was not apologetic. We ordered something different, which was brought to the table relatively quickly and was fine. It has been my experience that at a restaurant of this caliber, when something is sent back to the kitchen a manager comes to the table to ascertain the problem and to make it right. This didn't happen.Special Features:
- Expected moresaifalsDined on 7/28/2014I came across the hotel while walking around the area and thought it was absolutely beautiful. One of the prettiest things I've seen in a while that would be perfect for an evening out with my family. I reserved a table online for a celebratory family dinner and requested a table with a view which unfortunately I didn't get. This was disappointing of course as my parents would have loved the panoramic scene the restaurant offers. This disappointment was overshadowed, however, by the level of service recieved. The waiter was less that attentive and seemed too busy to give us more than the bare minimum to insure our meal. The food was delicious and the restaurant was beautiful, but not enough to induce my return.Special Features:
- perfect for all kinds of occasions!UnderwhelmedDined on 7/26/2014This place is perfect for birthday dinners, baby showers, bridal showers, mother's day brunch, ladies-who-lunch lunch...you name it! The staff is incredibly accommodating and friendly and the food is always fantastic. I heart One Pico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and good foodMSevenDined on 7/25/2014It was a good setting with a great view. The food was very good as well. We had basics such as octupus and pork belly and corn soup for starters, which were ok but not great. We then had a steak which was cooked very well and was very tender. The food was good but the view and setting was even better. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experienceFoodsnobVIPDined on 7/24/2014One Pico is a beautiful restaurant on the beach in Santa Monica. We are not usually fans of restaurants in hotels but One Pico is the exception. The restaurant is beautiful with a relaxing ambiance and nice natural lighting. Once the sun sets the lighting becomes softer and very pleasant. The food is excellent with nice variety and is wonderfully prepared. The service is impeccable and professional without being overdone. The restaurant is busy but not loud nor the tables too close together as to be intrusive. Very nice experience which we will make a point to repeat any time we are in LA.Special Features:
- Lack of serviceTheTouristDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch last Sunday at One Pico and it was a disappointment. Our waiter showed up exactly once after we were seated to greet us. Afterwards the waiters seemed busy chatting with themselves. The only people working endlessly were the persons in charge of removing plates and replenishing water in our glasses. The food was good, but since we waited for so long to place our orders and additional drinks, to ask for the bill and to pay, we felt we were not welcome but tolerated.
- Beautiful room butPrivateDInerVIPDined on 7/19/2014This is a spectacular room with three sides of windows looking out at the ocean and Santa Monica Pier. The furnishings are nice and one wall has a large fireplace for colder days and nights. But the food is unpredictable. We have had great meals here and then we have had some that are just so. Our last visit, the food was just so. Despite the waiters description and assurance that my pork chop would be cooked through but not dry, it was bone dry and therefore without flavor.Special Features:
- Oceanside CharmPebblesVVIPDined on 7/19/2014Came here for my birthday dinner. The restaurant is right on the ocean so any table will have a view, although despite our request for the best view possible, our party of 10 was seated in the side corner and it still took a moment to get seated despite an advance reservation. However once seated, service was prompt and courteous and they really do have the best seafood dishes. A friend ordered the halibut which was flaky and fresh, better than our sea bass which wasn't too bad. Appetizers are delicious - particularly the prawns - but small, and the place is pricey as is valet ($8 with validation). Still, worth coming to for a special occasion every now and then. Gorgeous cape cod style environment within the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.JakeDined on 7/18/2014This was a special night for me and a lady. They went out of their way to get us a grat table, and to make us feel that we were hored guests. The food was very good and well presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebrunchdivasDined on 7/13/2014Brunch is very stylized, unlike most that have a Hugh selection from appetizers to deserts. The food was well prepared, service impeccable, a great ocean view, day or evening this restaurant has great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IT'S ALL ABOUT THE AMBIENCETrueVisionLADined on 7/13/2014I've been to One Pico and the lower level restaurant many times. The ambiance is hard to beat. The hotel lobby is like an up scale beach house with comfortable seating and two fire places, which are lit in the evenings. Giant open windows in the airy restaurant allow a breeze to come through, as you gaze at the sensational view of the ocean, sipping your favorite wine, champagne or martini. Very elegant dining experience. By day, I've celebrated many a birthday with the girls and in the evening, surrounded by candlelight, memorable dinners. The dress is chic beach and frequented by Europeans staying at the hotel. Not for kids. The food is okay at best and changes like the tide. A strange menu that tries too hard, but the quality is fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureGaryDined on 7/9/2014My wife and I went to One Pico to celebrate out 10th Anniversary and we had a wonderful time. Corner table with great ocean view and even a sliding door that allowed us access to the fresh ocean air. Our meals were delicious, service by Tim attentive and we had a memorable time. We will definitely go back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.