1 Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/
- Phone: (310) 587-1717
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch, Monday - Friday: 11:30 am – 2:30 pm; Brunch, Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm; Dinner, Nightly: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Isaac Gamboa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From an intimate dinner for 5 to a corporate dinner for 55 to a catered wedding for 205, Shutters on the Beach offers relaxed elegance and friendly service to complement its delicious food. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, there is no better place to plan your next special occasion. Let us handle every detail. We specialize in engagement parties (as well as engagements), bridal and wedding showers, rehearsal dinners, and of course, the big day too! Our private rooms are perfect for corporate dinners as well. Please call our catering offices at (310) 458-0030.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Friddle 3105871717x
- Entertainment: Lounge entertainment 7 nights a week from 6:00pm-11:00pm
A word from One Pico
Perched above the beach with sweeping ocean views, a burning fireplace and featuring a seasonal market menu, One Pico is your destination for upscale, coastal dining. Winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for 2012, One Pico is recognized as premier restaurant for wine enthusiasts. Order Grilled Octopus or Smoked and Braised Beef Short Rib from our seasonal menu or try the "Vine-To-Table" menu – a 3-course prix fixe menu with wine pairings from the monthly featured grape.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
One Pico - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
One Pico reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (92)special occasion (72)romantic (64)fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (39)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Disappointing Thanksgiving dinner!!PragmatisteDined on 11/27/2014This was our first experience at this venue. The location and vintage ambiance saved the experience!! Otherwise.... The reservation was seated 20 minutes late, to start. The Thanksgiving prix fixe menu sounded good on paper but the actual fare left a lot to be desired. While the pumpkin soup and pear salad were quite good... The traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner which included the normal holiday fare was not. The turkey dinner consisted of pressed turkey breast roll, cut in thick slices, and a mound of dark meat, neither of which appeared or tasted like 'fresh carved turkey'. There was a modest single heaping spoonful size of mashed potatoes, a bigger portion of mixed roasted vegetables, a portion of rather bland dressing that appeared to be sliced off of a small loaf, a side of basic brown gravy in a small creamer carafe, and a small saucer of reasonably good cranberry sauce. The desserts were also less than divine. Both the chocolate cake and baked caramel apple were bland, and not memorable. For the price of one meal (we were 5) we could have fed a family of 12 the same dinner, but way better. Did I mention that it took 20 minutes to retrieve our valet park car, after paying $14 with a validation?! Sorry we won't be back.... Instead we would return to neighboring Casa del Mar next time! 😕Special Features:
- Go early, quiet and pleasantmelmorVIPDined on 11/22/2014We dined at 6:00 on a Saturday night;, early for sure, but the restaurant was quiet and the service great. Food was good. One of us was served overcooked salmon, but a new piece, cooked prperly, was delivered in about 10 min. A very pleasant experience in an area where resstaurants, esp on Saturday, are impossibly noisy and service spotty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Class ExperiencePaulieVIPDined on 11/20/2014Haven't been to One Pico for several years and expected it to be good, but the food turned out to be exceptional. Great service and ambience. A totally enjoyable experience. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Capricious Main CourseAuthorFoodieDined on 11/10/2014The braised short ribs with a side of mashed potato marvel were divine. Cap that capricious course off with an indulgent dessert of chocolatey-drizzled caramel popcorn adorned over ice cream, and you'll be all set for a night out in Santa Monica.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Pico....One Dining GemJohnD1CigarDined on 11/8/2014One Pico is a must for anyone looking for the "complete" dining experience...Location, ambiance, views, people watching, service...and oh...The FOOD! Simply one of the best in SoCal. Special occasion...Romantic evening...Great sunsets...Walks on the beach boardwalk....It all comes together at One Pico.Special Features:
- A relaxing way to dine...RichardVIPDined on 10/29/2014I have found the food and service to be consistently good and the view is excellent. The menu is varied and the portions are also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaliforniaCaliforniaDined on 10/26/2014Love shutters and One Pico is very nice. Very pretty. Food was good and service was good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- A" Salty" Evening for TwoCorianderDined on 10/26/2014Reservation for four at 6:45 p.m. - other couple was unable to come, so rather than cancel the reservation, my husband and I made it a date. When we arrived the dining room was sparsely filled. The hostess showed us to the worst table in the room, behind a post, next to the kitchen door. We asked to be changed to another table and were accommodated. We ordered a three course dinner, most of which was great. However, the scallops were salty - the preparation would have been great if the other flavors could have been appreciated. Left after 8, the dining room still half filled. It's bad business to present a poor dining experience when an exceptional one is waiting at the empty table across the room.Special Features:
- waiter was not very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014our waiter was not very friendly or nice - it really dampened our entire experienceSpecial Features:
- One Pico is Number OneNaliniDined on 10/24/2014This restaurant gets better and better. Fantastic views and ambience. Not too noisy. First class food and service.Special Features:
- Just greatchristofDined on 10/22/2014We had a great envening with outstanding dishes and good service. First a drink on the patio of the Living Room bar and then an exceptional meal make it a perfect dinner for two (or more),Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJohnDined on 10/19/2014I don't think it's possible to ask for a better setting, and the food was terrific.Special Features:
- One of Santa Monica's BestMytablepicksDined on 10/12/2014One Pico has been a fave for years. The combo of the view, food and service make it a restaurant to return to again and again. Love the brunch combo of drink, appetizer and entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for out of town guestsGtfdbytheseaDined on 10/11/2014Great place in my neighborhood. Easy parking! I have been coming here since Shutters opened and it has maintained its wonderful, by the sea flavor. The drinks, wine and food were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More formal than we wantedLorrislootVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food good. But waiter actually scoffed at our choices. They were on the menu but I guess not his favorites. Would not go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaultlessHMQSGBDined on 10/9/2014We dine at #1 Pico whenever we're in town, and we be never had a bad dining experience Predicted cocktails in the hotel lounge are a must! Cool jazz quartet setting the scene Romantic table next to the window overlooking the pier and Boardwalk Excellent service, unhurried, timely and informative Portion sizes not overwhelming George's bank sword fish excellent! On this occasion the greens side plate were a little salty - only a preference not a fault Thank you once more Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceJohnVIPDined on 10/6/2014One Pico did a great job at lunch ... the fish was done to perfection ... and the service was outstanding ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!TracyBVIPDined on 10/5/2014Excellent food, great service, amazing view, wonderful atmosphere. Truly top notch!Special Features:
- Loved itFFONLYDined on 10/4/2014It was a pleasant experience! I will definitely comeback next time I'm in LA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OzlaDined on 9/27/2014Great Food and great service as usual....never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dadesVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good food and service in a beautifule room overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Excellent for lunch.Special Features:
- Charming and romanticThehots4newspotsDined on 9/25/2014Great lobby/lounge area with live jazz. Decor was rustic / elegant with hints of a boating theme. It reminded me of what a mansion in Cape Cod might look like. Food was incredible. Steak cooked perfectly and the cod downright delicious. Service also a plus. I took my husband for his birthday and we sat right by the window for a beach view. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beach LocationfinickyfoodieVIPDined on 9/22/2014One Pico has an incredible location, practically perched right on Santa Monica beach. Beautiful beachy architecture, a bit conservative in the decorating but really lovely. Fairly small menu but a nice assortment of choices for dinner. The kale salad was fantastic. The heirloom tomato salad was just okay. Probably could have done more with that. Salmon was unfortunately overcooked. Steaks were good. The fun part was the celebrity sightings, as Jessica Biel was at the table behind us and Gweneth Paltrow was at the table in front of us.Special Features:
- Food was ok, service not so muchSurferStevoDined on 9/21/2014The food was okay - didn't exceed expectations for a hotel restaurant. The service was slightly disappointing. Charming waiter, but not the level of service expected with the price. 10 minutes or more between seating and any kind of drinks, OJ described as fresh but not, wrong drink from the bar, rarely saw the waiter, no mention of special request for a birthday dessert made when reserving.Special Features:
- Lovely Brunch Locations by BeachsantamonicafoodieDined on 9/21/2014If you're looking for a special place to get a pricey brunch, head on over to One Pico. It's not cheap (ie. $15 Bellinis and $5+ cups of plain ol' coffee) but the location and view make up for it... well, it's still a bit too pricey but I'll excuse it. They were very accommodating and we even had a toddler, 4-year old and 6-month old with us. There was plenty of space, the table was set up when we arrived, the service was quick. Food presentation was beautiful and food was tasty. Great place to go if you're looking for a special locale.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. Servers were quite attentive and bartenders had a solid pour. The flourless chocolate cake was a-mazing! The staff accommodated myself and the GF with a window seat as the sun set over the Pacific. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The dinning room was hot during the hot days, the windows should be open. There is no air condition in this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1pico is number 1 in Santa MonicaDeePeeDined on 9/12/2014This restaurant is a must If it's a special occasion...if it's not a special occasion go anyway it's fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is the restaurant that should be on everyone's bucket list at least for a special occassion. Everything and everyone were exceptable, especially the food and its presentation.Special Features:
- Great mealwally6097Dined on 9/6/2014I took my girlfriend here for a romantic meal after our engagement, I was really impressed. Friendly service, great food, great view of sunset, and beautiful inside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014I though the food was not worth the price that was paid. It was just fair and I expected GREAT!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014A beautiful neighborhood gem, who knew it was there?! Ambiance was beautiful. More like French Italian, very small portions at very high prices. Wine list is extensive but cheapest bottle is $65, maybe 6 bottles under $100. Even though the staff was standing around, they would not serve us until our whole party was there, we had to ask for drinks and bread twice?! My daughter asked if we could go out for pizza after dinner of $400!Special Features:
- No longer worth goingpvaeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for brunch on Saturday. Food was abysmal. Frittata was more of an egg frisbee. Pork belly hash - pork belly was not properly cooked and the dish wasn't even a hash. Cocktail was good, though. Restaurant was almost completely empty when it should not have been. I guess we didn't get the memo that the chef changed, or something. The other guests were really strange ...
- One Happy Customer!TonyHTonyHVIPDined on 8/29/2014First of all, kudos to the bartender for crafting a perfect Dirty Gin Martini and Pimm's Cup! The atmosphere was a bit stuffy for my taste, but nice overall. The service was wonderful and the menu presents plenty of options. My vegan guest found no shortage of options and I found the fish to be outstanding. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a romantic spot or a quiet restaurant with beach view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ddbcdmVIPDined on 8/27/2014I was not impressed. I was taking clients for dinner. The service was ok. The food did not justify the price at all. After many years, this is the first open table review I have written because I think the other reviews were way too favorable.Special Features:
- One Pico----The One To TryJonathanDined on 8/23/2014Remembered the "Shutters Hotel" from a business meeting awhile back. While looking for an ocean view fine dining restaurant for diner with my wife...found One Pico. What a gem!! Last month we were at the St Regis in Orange County....and One Pico whipped them hands down...Ambiance...Service...and FOOD! A must try for any romantic occasion.Special Features:
- A lovely spotJohnDined on 8/23/2014We went for brunch at Shutters to celebrate with our two children, their spouses, and our nearly two-year-old granddaughter. It was a wonderful experience in every way. The brunch was superb, the service excellent, the view of the Pacific unmatched. It was our 45th wedding anniversary, and I cannot think of another place I would have preferred being.Special Features:
- So great, so smooth, so wonderful !GuillaumefrDined on 8/20/2014Special place, great view, great service, everything is in the good flow. Menu is not too large but enough to make you searching what to eat a long time.., wine list also was well composed. Best in Santa Monica. Will be back there eyes closed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved seeing the sunset!RobbieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our table had a perfect view of the ocean, the pier and then the sun setting and the ocean glistening. It was beautiful. The food is excellent. The only downside was the dessert. I've been gluten free for about three years and am accustomed to seeing some type of gluten free dessert. They did serve fruit with ice cream or a trio of sorbets but it would have been nice to have a flourless chocolate cake or something of that sort -- we were celebrating a big birthday and a bowl of strawberries doesn't do it. Otherwise, you can't beat the ambience.Special Features:
- JooleDined on 8/18/2014Short rib was not good-mushy... but filet mignon was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.