1 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onenorthchicago.com/
- Phone: 3127509700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Laura Piper
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: One North Kitchen and Bar caters to both corporate and private events. Please reach out to Carlene Isola at email@example.com for more information and the current menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-Out the entire Main Dining Room for a private event. The Dining Room accommodates up to 150 guests for a seated event and up to 200 guests for a stand up reception
- Private Party Contact: Carlene Isola 3122630022
A word from One North
Floor to ceiling windows provide an incredible facade of the historic Chicago Lyric Opera House. Mahogany and slate flooring, flagstone walls, deep leather booths, and an open kitchen provide a warm atmosphere ideal for business meetings, intimate dinners, private events and pre or post opera performance cocktails. Conveniently located near CTA public transportation and the Metra stations. Chef Laura Piper has created an American Contemporary menu that proudly serves Miller Farms antibiotic and hormone free poultry and sustainable seafood. The menu pairs well with the extensive craft beer selections, unique artisanal cocktails, and impressive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
One North - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
One North reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (67)good for groups (35)great for outdoor dining (30)fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)special occasion (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (8)great for brunch (5)romantic (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Reliable spot for pre-opera fareDib99Dined on 10/29/2014The service was good (a manager-type person filled in getting our drink orders because our server was busy--that was nice that they didn't just let us sit there). They also made sure, after learning we were going to the show, to get us served in a timely manner and presented our check in plenty of time so we were not rushing out. The space was very crowded pre-opera (it's across the street from the Lyric Opera) but was not crazy noisy; my friend and I had a normal conversation and did not have to yell at each other. The food was trendy and average. It falls into the realm of restaurants that use trendy ingredients applied to pretty standard dishes, so they never quite stand out; the salmon on my salmon nicoise salad was not that great.Special Features:
- Fantastic Risotto and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Prior to a performance at The Lyric Opera, 5 of us went to One North. We were in and out in perfect time with excellent service. Everyone was pleased with the food ( critics, all) but especially memorable was the bacon risotto. Told Exec Chef it was about the best ever!
- Too much dressingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014I had a salmon salad for lunch. It was so good but too much dressing and I couldn't finish. It would be perfect if it was less dressing. I will go back to get it again but I guess I have to give them instruction....Special Features:
- Best for Lyric Opera, even Late!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We tried One North Kitchen & Lounge for the second time last weekend, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the Opera. Cool view, convenient if you've got tickets. The staff was really helpful over our late arrival, much less than an hour before a Strauss opera. First they took my call to push back the reservation by a half-hour; then they helped us find food choices that would get us to the show on time; then they went the extra mile and worked hard to make us feel there was no hurry, 'we were fine.' They were fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for dinner before opera!dgGoes211Dined on 10/25/2014We discovered One North several years ago, and the food, convenience, and great service have kept us coming back. Their small wine list gives us some nice choices. The menu changes often enough that we don't feel as though we're eating the same thing over and over (though that would be fine: their food is always delicious!). For example, I've enjoyed the salmon entree several times, but this time was the best yet! The servers are always cognizant of our needing to get out in time for the opera across the street, and the hosts are so welcoming. It was fun to sit outside for the first time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to get together after workEatDrinkTalkDined on 10/20/2014One North is a great meeting place for wine, business discussion and light dinner - great location, attentive waitstaff, and overall a plusSpecial Features:
- Lunch for fourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Made lunch reservations with open table the day of group lunch! It was quick and convenient. Had to switch time latter in the morning, the hostess was cheerful and friendly! Our waiter was an excellent host.Special Features:
- Not So Good for Pre-Opera Diningoperabuff123Dined on 10/17/2014One North is a great place for a business lunch or an after-work drink with friends, but I wouldn't recommend it for dinner before the opera. For one thing, it is seriously conversation-challenged, as there is no carpeting or even tablecloths to absorb the sound. The dinner menu has only one steak; a hamburger is the only other beef option. There are no nonalcoholic beers, and the flatbread was soggy. On the plus side, the sea scallops were delicious.Special Features:
- would not go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014Would not go there again. Dinner was super mediocre. Dessert same.Special Features:
- Wonderful gemRodneyVIPDined on 10/11/2014If you are heading to the opera - One North is a superb location for dinner or a cocktail prior to the performance. The grilled (not fried) calamari is wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Dinner and an OperaBalletbuffDined on 10/11/2014Great spot when attending the Lyric Opera. Service is efficient, food is quite good and reasonably priced, and it is right across the street from the Lyric. I like the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Yumx2Dined on 10/11/2014Perfect for people going to a performance at Lyric Opera ..... Small but nice menu ..... Friendly ad efficient wait staff. Open space includes both bar and dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One North Kitchen & BarSlovakQueen2Dined on 10/9/2014My BFF and I were going to the opera and One North is right across the street from the opera house, so we figured it was super convenient. Pros: *Decent wine list *Beautiful décor *Excellent food Cons: *No separate event space (there was a young professionals after work event going on and they just blocked off part of the main restaurant... this made the noise level substantial and made it difficult to have a conversation without raising your voice). *Service was slow and the staff wasn't well versed in the menu (which is a shame because there are a lot of great things that could have been said about the food if our server had known what the various dishes were).Special Features:
- Pre-opera DiningCityGirlVIPDined on 10/9/2014We can always count on you for a good meal in plenty of time to get to the opera. Our server was very helpful, and our salmon was delicious.Special Features:
- Sterile, priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/8/2014Full windows facing Wacker Dr. High ceilings, plain décor. Small servings at high prices
- Consistently Strong Loop Lunchdt1213Dined on 9/30/2014One of my go to's for lunch in the loop, consistently strong and great service.Special Features:
- Miss Catherine EvansElizpatronDined on 9/26/2014The ambiance in the restaurant is relaxing. While not brightly lit, the lighting is elegant with table candles. The portions are well-prepared and presented on the dishes. The meal itself is ample for dinner. I have never dined in for lunch yet, but will consider doing so. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable about each selection. The timing of meal service was not more than thirty minutes. The restaurant was packed (including the outdoor dining area) when we arrived, so it took about fifteen minutes for our server to reach us. The decor was an amalgam of wood paneling and what appeared to be minimalist metal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hourGroupDinerDined on 9/23/2014Good for happy hour if you get there early. For dinner would seem weird. You would be the only people seated.Special Features:
- Reliable and goodFMCEVIPDined on 9/23/2014One North comes through again! Waitstaff is superior and food greatSpecial Features:
- Knocked the cover off the ballBonnieVIPDined on 9/17/2014Chef Piper is my favorite chef...but even she outdid herself. As a lunch special, she was offering mussles...In today's parlance...OMG! generous portion of fabulously sweet mussels in a rich broth that was so complex, yet satisfying, i don't know how to describe it...i sopped up every drop with the terrific crustini that accompanied the dish. the rich broth had the PERFECT amount of pepper slivers...a goldilocks event, just right!!!!! I don't often order mussles, because it is usually a "so what" experience...not the case with Chef Piper...i cannot wait to order them again and again and again!!!!4 STARS!!!!Special Features:
- too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I brought 3 guests for a business lunch and it was way too loud for us to conduct business. The food was good, but I can't go back again.
- Perfect SettingChuckD105VIPDined on 9/10/2014One North is a great setting for a lunch meeting, for after-dinner meetings and drinks, and even for an energetic place pre-opera. The service was outstanding. I had the scallops which is my only mild criticism. Why spoil some great scallops with a fairly awful salad and sauce?Special Features:
- petcopDined on 9/2/2014Awful bread, overcooked chicken thighs. No good to boast special farm chicken if they get spoilt in the kitchen.
- Reliable lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014One North is simply a reliable lunch spot. It never really wows me but it's good for business.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceRLTNYCDined on 8/26/2014The service was excellent. The food was excellent. A bit noisey for a business lunch locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option by the trainsDMarieDined on 8/21/2014One North does a nice job at balancing a quick meal after work without making you feel rushed. Thanks for getting it right!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingcab1723VIPDined on 8/19/2014My recent visit to One North Kitchen was quite disappointing. The food quality was good (although the enormous and messy sandwiches were not the best for a business lunch), but the service was dreadful. Our server took forever to take our order and then the order took even longer to arrive. Two separate runners came by to try to auction (very bad form) the lunch orders from other tables and then we just waited. We had to flag down our waiter to try to locate our orders. Not a great experience for a business lunch.
- Consistently goodBigEatsDined on 8/18/2014I've dined here with business colleagues and clients and I will continue to consider it as a go to place for lunch meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!GjojoDined on 8/15/2014Great food, fantastic hosts and hostesses, excellent service. My favorite spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchPGMORANDDined on 8/14/2014The noise level rivaled that of an active Friday night bar scene. It was very difficult to maintain a normal conversation.
- Good Old StandbyATrainVIPDined on 8/6/2014One North has been one of my go-to business lunch spots since they build 1 N. Wacker. It never fails to deliver a solid lunch at a reasonable price. My only complaint would be that the hard-surfaced room gets a little too loud at busy times, sometimes making it hard to hear. Overall, though, an excellent choice when entertaining clients or looking for an upscale lunch without too much adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell Lunch Was GreatFMCEVIPDined on 8/4/2014A special co-worker is leaving the firm to go on to another opportunity. The food was great, the waitstaff just amazing and it was a special occasion that worked so well on all levels.Special Features:
- Great findKatinaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Working in Willis Tower, I had never tried this place and 3 of us went there for dinner on a Wed night. It was not crowded at all so very quiet (I see others have said how loud it is) and that made me hesitant to try as I hate to shout through dinner but this night was great (though not if you were a waitperson as it was dead for them). Food was great and the service was outstanding. The bartender even experimented on a new cocktail for me! Everyone was very accommodating. The gouda puffs were a disappointment - overcooked and bland. Ihad expected more of a puff pastry but they were fried. But the rest was great. The tacos were amazing as were the brussel sprouts. I can't wait to go back! Cool menu. Try it!Special Features:
- BADOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2014Went there for a business lunch. Hadn't been there in several yrs and once I got there, I remembered why I stopped going there. Stood in line for 10 min to check in and then waited 5 min to be seated in a empty dining room. waiter hovered over waiting for us to order. When we finished eating,he didn't ask if we wanted, coffee or dessert, just brought the check. The food is average, nothing. Don't understand their check in/seating process. Very Poor for a downtown lunch restaurant where people need to be seated and served and get back to work.Very unprofessiona
- Maybe Better for Happy Hour?JKremsVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went for lunch with a group of 6. Service was good, but very slow! The food was good, but for the price, slightly disappointing. Prime example - it seemed like the scallops were highly recommended, so I went for it. The sauce was excellent - delicious flavor, spaghetti squash... Yum! BUT, THREE scallops for $32?!?! Needless to say, overpriced. The calamari-we were warned that it is not fried as per usual. We decided to try it anyway and I'm not sure anyone really liked it. The group enjoyed their food overall- asparagus and hummus were delicious. Most of the group got burgers which they all liked. But, we weren't overly impressed with the place. Staff seemed really nice - perhaps we'll check it out again for happy hour.
- LOUDCJShopperDined on 7/23/2014My co-workers and I went here for lunch for the first time. We had a reservation, but so did the 25 other people in line for the host stand. Once you got there, you still had to wait. I expect more efficiency at a Loop lunch spot. Once we were seated, it was loud like being in a crowded bar. We literally had to yell at each other. Moving on...the server was nice and efficient and that was great! We will probably make this an after work drink place, rather than a lunch place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for LunchSPL233VIPDined on 7/18/2014Very pleasant patio for lunch on a busy downtown day. Service level a bit spotty given the extra tables outside but they were friendly and knowledgeable.
- Nice room, small foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014This was a pleasant experience...good ambience, attentive service, decent food (altho the portions are rather skimpy).Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014Met a business prospect there for lunch. It was VERY VERY noisy and the food was mediocre. All three of us ordered the "special" gazpacho and we all agreed that it was the most underwhelming iteration of the soup we have ever had. Of our three entrees, Midwestern Cobb salad, Salmon and burger, we all agreed that it wasn't bad like the soup, but it was not worth going back again.
- Delicious!JennyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Took Mom here for her birthday lunch and it was great! Service was friendly and attentive. Food was spectacular and the drinks were delicious! They finally modified the inside to fix the sound issues making for a lovely conversation spot! Will of course be back.Special Features: