1 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onenorthchicago.com/
- Phone: 3127509700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Laura Piper
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: One North Kitchen and Bar caters to both corporate and private events. Please reach out to Carlene Isola at email@example.com for more information and the current menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-Out the entire Main Dining Room for a private event. The Dining Room accommodates up to 150 guests for a seated event and up to 200 guests for a stand up reception
- Private Party Contact: Carlene Isola 3122630022
A word from One North
Floor to ceiling windows provide an incredible facade of the historic Chicago Lyric Opera House. Mahogany and slate flooring, flagstone walls, deep leather booths, and an open kitchen provide a warm atmosphere ideal for business meetings, intimate dinners, private events and pre or post opera performance cocktails. Conveniently located near CTA public transportation and the Metra stations. Chef Laura Piper has created an American Contemporary menu that proudly serves Miller Farms antibiotic and hormone free poultry and sustainable seafood. The menu pairs well with the extensive craft beer selections, unique artisanal cocktails, and impressive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
One North reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (54)great for outdoor dining (33)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (9)notable wine list (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Knocked the cover off the ballBonnieVIPDined on 9/17/2014Chef Piper is my favorite chef...but even she outdid herself. As a lunch special, she was offering mussles...In today's parlance...OMG! generous portion of fabulously sweet mussels in a rich broth that was so complex, yet satisfying, i don't know how to describe it...i sopped up every drop with the terrific crustini that accompanied the dish. the rich broth had the PERFECT amount of pepper slivers...a goldilocks event, just right!!!!! I don't often order mussles, because it is usually a "so what" experience...not the case with Chef Piper...i cannot wait to order them again and again and again!!!!4 STARS!!!!Special Features:
- too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I brought 3 guests for a business lunch and it was way too loud for us to conduct business. The food was good, but I can't go back again.
- Perfect SettingChuckD105VIPDined on 9/10/2014One North is a great setting for a lunch meeting, for after-dinner meetings and drinks, and even for an energetic place pre-opera. The service was outstanding. I had the scallops which is my only mild criticism. Why spoil some great scallops with a fairly awful salad and sauce?Special Features:
- petcopDined on 9/2/2014Awful bread, overcooked chicken thighs. No good to boast special farm chicken if they get spoilt in the kitchen.
- Reliable lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014One North is simply a reliable lunch spot. It never really wows me but it's good for business.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceRLTNYCDined on 8/26/2014The service was excellent. The food was excellent. A bit noisey for a business lunch locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good option by the trainsDMarieDined on 8/21/2014One North does a nice job at balancing a quick meal after work without making you feel rushed. Thanks for getting it right!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingcab1723VIPDined on 8/19/2014My recent visit to One North Kitchen was quite disappointing. The food quality was good (although the enormous and messy sandwiches were not the best for a business lunch), but the service was dreadful. Our server took forever to take our order and then the order took even longer to arrive. Two separate runners came by to try to auction (very bad form) the lunch orders from other tables and then we just waited. We had to flag down our waiter to try to locate our orders. Not a great experience for a business lunch.
- Consistently goodBigEatsDined on 8/18/2014I've dined here with business colleagues and clients and I will continue to consider it as a go to place for lunch meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!GjojoDined on 8/15/2014Great food, fantastic hosts and hostesses, excellent service. My favorite spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchPGMORANDDined on 8/14/2014The noise level rivaled that of an active Friday night bar scene. It was very difficult to maintain a normal conversation.
- Good Old StandbyATrainVIPDined on 8/6/2014One North has been one of my go-to business lunch spots since they build 1 N. Wacker. It never fails to deliver a solid lunch at a reasonable price. My only complaint would be that the hard-surfaced room gets a little too loud at busy times, sometimes making it hard to hear. Overall, though, an excellent choice when entertaining clients or looking for an upscale lunch without too much adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell Lunch Was GreatFMCEDined on 8/4/2014A special co-worker is leaving the firm to go on to another opportunity. The food was great, the waitstaff just amazing and it was a special occasion that worked so well on all levels.Special Features:
- Great findKatinaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Working in Willis Tower, I had never tried this place and 3 of us went there for dinner on a Wed night. It was not crowded at all so very quiet (I see others have said how loud it is) and that made me hesitant to try as I hate to shout through dinner but this night was great (though not if you were a waitperson as it was dead for them). Food was great and the service was outstanding. The bartender even experimented on a new cocktail for me! Everyone was very accommodating. The gouda puffs were a disappointment - overcooked and bland. Ihad expected more of a puff pastry but they were fried. But the rest was great. The tacos were amazing as were the brussel sprouts. I can't wait to go back! Cool menu. Try it!Special Features:
- BADOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2014Went there for a business lunch. Hadn't been there in several yrs and once I got there, I remembered why I stopped going there. Stood in line for 10 min to check in and then waited 5 min to be seated in a empty dining room. waiter hovered over waiting for us to order. When we finished eating,he didn't ask if we wanted, coffee or dessert, just brought the check. The food is average, nothing. Don't understand their check in/seating process. Very Poor for a downtown lunch restaurant where people need to be seated and served and get back to work.Very unprofessiona
- Maybe Better for Happy Hour?JKremsVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went for lunch with a group of 6. Service was good, but very slow! The food was good, but for the price, slightly disappointing. Prime example - it seemed like the scallops were highly recommended, so I went for it. The sauce was excellent - delicious flavor, spaghetti squash... Yum! BUT, THREE scallops for $32?!?! Needless to say, overpriced. The calamari-we were warned that it is not fried as per usual. We decided to try it anyway and I'm not sure anyone really liked it. The group enjoyed their food overall- asparagus and hummus were delicious. Most of the group got burgers which they all liked. But, we weren't overly impressed with the place. Staff seemed really nice - perhaps we'll check it out again for happy hour.
- LOUDCJShopperDined on 7/23/2014My co-workers and I went here for lunch for the first time. We had a reservation, but so did the 25 other people in line for the host stand. Once you got there, you still had to wait. I expect more efficiency at a Loop lunch spot. Once we were seated, it was loud like being in a crowded bar. We literally had to yell at each other. Moving on...the server was nice and efficient and that was great! We will probably make this an after work drink place, rather than a lunch place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for LunchSPL233Dined on 7/18/2014Very pleasant patio for lunch on a busy downtown day. Service level a bit spotty given the extra tables outside but they were friendly and knowledgeable.
- Nice room, small foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014This was a pleasant experience...good ambience, attentive service, decent food (altho the portions are rather skimpy).Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014Met a business prospect there for lunch. It was VERY VERY noisy and the food was mediocre. All three of us ordered the "special" gazpacho and we all agreed that it was the most underwhelming iteration of the soup we have ever had. Of our three entrees, Midwestern Cobb salad, Salmon and burger, we all agreed that it wasn't bad like the soup, but it was not worth going back again.
- Delicious!JennyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Took Mom here for her birthday lunch and it was great! Service was friendly and attentive. Food was spectacular and the drinks were delicious! They finally modified the inside to fix the sound issues making for a lovely conversation spot! Will of course be back.Special Features:
- Local FavoriteLynneDined on 7/9/2014I've been here multiple times with groups ranging from 3 - 10 & EVERYTHING is always great - food, service, atmosphere (whether inside or out).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location - lousy foodMacdaddyDined on 7/8/2014I had the strip steak, my son had the 1North burger and we shared an order of smoked gouda puffs. The gouda puffs were fabulous. Good flavor, nice accouterments and 4 for $11. The burger was a good size but the flavors were a little too strong and competed with all the other ingredients for space on your taste buds. The real issue is the lousy quality of the steak. While it is downtown Chicago, I still expect a $31 strip steak to be of higher quality. Mine was equivalent to the tread of a car's tire. Not only is it nothing to brag about, it was absolutely disappointing. Flat and easily dried out, you had better order it no more than medium if you want any juiciness or flavor.Special Features:
- Great outdoor dining on WackerMattDined on 7/2/2014This is the perfect place to get lunch outside on a nice day in the financial district. The food is very good, but reasonably priced, and the service is attentive.Special Features:
- Reliable choice in a dining desertdadwritesVIPDined on 7/1/2014Wacker Drive is a relative restaurant desert, at least in comparison to the areas a few blocks east or west of this unique thoroughfare. If all you want is coffee or fast food, you're set. Otherwise, One North and Lloyd's are your two primary options and they fill up fast at lunch. One North has a varied menu and the food is not quite epicurean, but you are unlikely to have a bad experience there. On our last visit, we enjoyed tables outside, shaded by the building next door. The waiter refilled our drinks often enough, which is a big issue for me, and the prices are reasonable.
- Great lunch getawayBestBuddyDined on 6/30/2014We were able to eat lunch outside which was great. Food was good as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for LunchAwesomeDined on 6/23/2014This is a great place for lunch and perfect for groups of 6-8. Menu has plenty of options.Special Features:
- GinaDined on 6/20/2014Overall a good experience, although it was warm inside and the noise level was too high.Special Features:
- Friends on the moveRFHKVIPDined on 6/17/2014Met a friend at One North prior to moving out of town. The restaurant is close to each of our jobs and respective train stations. Our evening began with gazpacho, which was delicious. While it wasn't a terribly hot day the soup was refreshing. For dinner, my guest chose the scallops and I the pasta with shrimp and white wine lemon sauce. Both entrees were very good and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Promptly seated at 11:30am. Service was efficient and friendly. Atmosphere is great. You can dine inside or out. Recommend that you arrive prior to noon as the restaurant fills up quickly. Was completely full by 12:30pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great Hostess was horribleRuinedbyhostessDined on 6/16/2014We had a reservation for three and were meeting a client for our first lunch together. Myself and my associate arrived 10 mins early and were at first ignored by the hostess and then greeted by a second hostess when she arrived back at the desk. My name was on the reservation and she asked if we would like to be seated. We chose to wait and greet our guest upon their arrival. We waited a full 20 mins, the hostess checked with us once in-between to see if we wanted to be seated without our guest, we declined. We finally received a call from our guest from inside the restaurant explaining that she had arrived 15 mins early and was seated by the hostess after giving my name on the reservation! For 20 mins my guest was left waiting!Special Features:
- Getting BetterUnhappyDined on 6/16/2014I've eaten at One North several times and have not been impressed. This time the food was good! Maybe its just what I'm ordering, but I would definitely go back and order the cheeseburger again. The turkey club my friend was eating looked really good, too! And, food was hot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too LOUD to talkPaulDined on 6/16/2014Way to LOUD. Do not go there for a business lunch or dinner
- Run to the saladBonnieVIPDined on 6/16/2014CHEF PIPER HAS DONE IT AGAIN! I ORDERED THE SPECIAL SALAD OF THE DAY...MIXED FRESH ORGANIC GREENS WITH ARTICHOKE HEARTS (FRESH ONES...NOT THE MUNDANE FROM THE JAR) WILD MUSHROOMS, A LITTLE CHOPPED PEPPEROCHINI WITH FRESH SHAVED PARMESAN AND DRIED CRANBERRIES...EVERY BITE HAD SOMETHING PICANT AND SOMETHING SWEET...OH MY! HOW DELICIOUS AND REFRESHING ON A WARM DAY!!!!! SALADS CAN BE SO HO-HUM....NOT THIS ONE, FOLKS! FANTASTIC!
- My go-to business lunch in the loopATrainVIPDined on 6/12/2014I've been going here for years, and it is always very good to excellent. I wasn't overly impressed with my turkey club, though it did have some unique flavors. All-in-all, this remains one of my favorite lunch spots in the loop.Special Features:
- We got lost in the outdoor crowd.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Did not get the level of service we should have. Need to ask for re-fill beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be my go toLoopLuncher233Dined on 6/2/2014This place used to be my go to for colleagues first days or special lunch. My last experience has me looking around for other restaurants like Townhouse or Primebar instead. The food was good again but the service plain stunk and I was even charged for someone else's whole table in addition to my table. Okay place but just because it's in UBS' building doesn't mean it's top notch.Special Features:
- The following 493 reviews are from the One North reviews archive.
- too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Took some out of town relatives here before a show at the Lyric and probably wont go back because it was so incredibly loud that we couldn't have a conversation at our table.
- One North and LyricDane49VIPDined on 5/15/2014Went here before the Sound of Music, and it was the Sound of Crowds. Very crowded, very noisy for this old guy. Service and drinks were great; our waiter was super great. Had a $32 strip steak which was not a strip steak in shape, ordered med rare and it was med well. I can buy a better strip steak at jewel from the counter. Roast potatoes and heirloom carrots were excellent. My other half ordered mac and cheese and it looked like Kraft out of the package, kind of disappointed. Doubt I will go back as I never go to the opera, and work completely on the other side of town to go for lunch. Obviously a regular crowd there, so you try it and let me know what you think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very impossible loudPickyladyDined on 5/15/2014The ambience is so loud it's almost impossible to have any conversation or hear the waiter. It's too bad because service is good and food too. They should just make this a bar.