1 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onenorthchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 750-9700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Laura Piper
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: One North Kitchen and Bar caters to both corporate and private events. Please reach out to Carlene Isola at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and the current menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-Out the entire Main Dining Room for a private event. The Dining Room accommodates up to 150 guests for a seated event and up to 200 guests for a stand up reception
- Private Party Contact: Carlene Isola 3122630022
A word from One North
Floor to ceiling windows provide an incredible facade of the historic Chicago Lyric Opera House. Mahogany and slate flooring, flagstone walls, deep leather booths, and an open kitchen provide a warm atmosphere ideal for business meetings, intimate dinners, private events and pre or post opera performance cocktails. Conveniently located near CTA public transportation and the Metra stations. Chef Laura Piper has created an American Contemporary menu that proudly serves Miller Farms antibiotic and hormone free poultry and sustainable seafood. The menu pairs well with the extensive craft beer selections, unique artisanal cocktails, and impressive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
One North reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (66)good for groups (37)fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (23)vibrant bar scene (21)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (15)scenic view (12)notable wine list (10)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014One North served the best burger we've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good choicePallanteDined on 11/21/2014We had tickets for the Lyric Opera...located just across the street. Perfect location, good range of selections, and helpful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One North (November 2014)SlovakQueen2Dined on 11/21/2014Very attentive service and a helpful staff made dining here a treat! The food appealed to the more mature palates in the group while at the same time also engaging the teens who were with us! It was quite nice that everyone was able to enjoy their meal! The staff was polite, competent, and made the dining experience quite pleasant. Thank you, One North! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehmonica404VIPDined on 11/20/2014Service was sub par. The atmosphere was great. Location is also convenient. Food was nothing to write home about. My medium rare burger came out well done and I didn't have time to send it back since we had a show to catch. The soup was salty and the shrimp taco was all lettuce and extra light on the shrimp. Basically the only thing this place has for it is the location in the loop. Based on this experience, I'm not in a hurry to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pre-opera staplePaulBDined on 11/18/2014I count on this excellent restaurant to feed me before the opera at the Civic Opera House across the street. The service and food are always fresh and delicious. The menu has a nice variety and the prices are fair. The staff is attentive and freindly. The room is lovely. I recommend this restaurant for any occasion, but especially for eating prior to a performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeanDined on 11/18/2014Nice restaurant/ambience. Broad array of choices on the menu.
- Pre opera dinner at One NorthJeepDined on 11/17/2014Arrived at One North on time for our reservation. Seated immediately, told waiter that we had a short period of time, one hour or so for dinner before the opera began at the building across the street. Our server was most understanding and gracious. Both of us ordered the burger with fries for a quick bite. The meals were served quickly, but the beef was hard, no juice at all, just hard to bite and chew. We told the waiter who offered to bring something else, but our time was limited and it was edible (fries are always good). The manager came to our table and said someone else had made the same comment, but it had never happened before. The manager gave us a free dessert. Nice people serving there, but a big mistake with the beef.
- Great pre-opera location.RodneyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Food - fantastic. Calamari is superb -grilled with great sauce. Flatbreads are outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014Martini not very generous. Bring back the table clothes at night! C'mon guys -- when people are spending $100.00 a couple for dinner a table cloth before the opera is a nice touch.
- Great Place Pre-Opera!CattyDined on 11/15/2014First time dining at One North. Great location for dinner and drinks before the opera. Meal was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has promise, but some improvements neededEmersonDined on 11/14/2014One North is a good restaurant that could be very good with a few improvements. I noted my wife's allergies on my Open Table reservation; however our server (who otherwise did a very good job) was unaware of this information. The servers in nearly all of the Open Table restaurants in which we have dined proactively addressed this issue with us prior to ordering. Once reminded of her allergies, our server and a floor manager diligently made sure she was aware of potential allergens. This problem was compounded by the fact that they use the same oil to fry everything on the menu, which greatly limited my wife's options (loss of one Service star). This is a serious limitation for a restaurant with a large kitchen that does the volume of business they do. How much space does a small fryer occupy? As for the food, I had Smoked Gouda puffs, which were good, but the Romesco sauce underneath them was not sufficient for four good-sized puffs. It seemed they tried to mask the lack of sauce by adding a disproportionate amount of parsley. I also had three tacos: shrimp, which was very good, especially with a squeeze of lime; pork, which was okay, but needed more acidity (not enough pickled onions and the pineapple was MIA); and chicken...bland. My wife had an excellent tomato bisque with a good grilled cheese sandwich after her initial order of fried chicken was changed due to the issue noted above. The star of the meal was a chocolate mousse with fresh berries. It was a two-person dessert and my wife, a dessert specialist, raved about it; however, she had to ask for additional berries as they initially provided 6-7 berries, which were needed to cut through the mousse's richness. The restaurant was busy, but not noisy, and we were seated promptly. It was clean and service was attentive without hovering. We likely will not return because the menu is so limited for my wife, but would recommend it to others. Overall, I would rate if 3 1/2 stars, but four is easily achievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the appetizers and $8 wine selection!MKBADined on 11/12/2014Our waitress was great and was very knowledgeable of the wine selection and menu! Loved the atmosphere and the appetizers were delicious. Would definitely come back and also recommend this place to friends and family. A good happy hour, after-work spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Worst service I've ever had. Food and drinks and atmosphere were just ok, not good enough that I would ever go back
- Reliable spot for pre-opera fareDib99VIPDined on 10/29/2014The service was good (a manager-type person filled in getting our drink orders because our server was busy--that was nice that they didn't just let us sit there). They also made sure, after learning we were going to the show, to get us served in a timely manner and presented our check in plenty of time so we were not rushing out. The space was very crowded pre-opera (it's across the street from the Lyric Opera) but was not crazy noisy; my friend and I had a normal conversation and did not have to yell at each other. The food was trendy and average. It falls into the realm of restaurants that use trendy ingredients applied to pretty standard dishes, so they never quite stand out; the salmon on my salmon nicoise salad was not that great.Special Features:
- Fantastic Risotto and serviceOperaFoodieDined on 10/28/2014Prior to a performance at The Lyric Opera, 5 of us went to One North. We were in and out in perfect time with excellent service. Everyone was pleased with the food ( critics, all) but especially memorable was the bacon risotto. Told Exec Chef it was about the best ever!
- Too much dressingKmamaVIPDined on 10/27/2014I had a salmon salad for lunch. It was so good but too much dressing and I couldn't finish. It would be perfect if it was less dressing. I will go back to get it again but I guess I have to give them instruction....Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!!FussyEaterDined on 10/25/2014I had the best salmon that I have had in a long time at this restaurant before crossing the street to the Lyric Opera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for Lyric Opera, even Late!FrankJazzDined on 10/25/2014We tried One North Kitchen & Lounge for the second time last weekend, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the Opera. Cool view, convenient if you've got tickets. The staff was really helpful over our late arrival, much less than an hour before a Strauss opera. First they took my call to push back the reservation by a half-hour; then they helped us find food choices that would get us to the show on time; then they went the extra mile and worked hard to make us feel there was no hurry, 'we were fine.' They were fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for dinner before opera!dgGoes211Dined on 10/25/2014We discovered One North several years ago, and the food, convenience, and great service have kept us coming back. Their small wine list gives us some nice choices. The menu changes often enough that we don't feel as though we're eating the same thing over and over (though that would be fine: their food is always delicious!). For example, I've enjoyed the salmon entree several times, but this time was the best yet! The servers are always cognizant of our needing to get out in time for the opera across the street, and the hosts are so welcoming. It was fun to sit outside for the first time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to get together after workEatDrinkTalkDined on 10/20/2014One North is a great meeting place for wine, business discussion and light dinner - great location, attentive waitstaff, and overall a plusSpecial Features:
- Lunch for fourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Made lunch reservations with open table the day of group lunch! It was quick and convenient. Had to switch time latter in the morning, the hostess was cheerful and friendly! Our waiter was an excellent host.Special Features:
- Not So Good for Pre-Opera Diningoperabuff123Dined on 10/17/2014One North is a great place for a business lunch or an after-work drink with friends, but I wouldn't recommend it for dinner before the opera. For one thing, it is seriously conversation-challenged, as there is no carpeting or even tablecloths to absorb the sound. The dinner menu has only one steak; a hamburger is the only other beef option. There are no nonalcoholic beers, and the flatbread was soggy. On the plus side, the sea scallops were delicious.Special Features:
- would not go there againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/13/2014Would not go there again. Dinner was super mediocre. Dessert same.Special Features:
- Wonderful gemRodneyVIPDined on 10/11/2014If you are heading to the opera - One North is a superb location for dinner or a cocktail prior to the performance. The grilled (not fried) calamari is wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Dinner and an OperaBalletbuffDined on 10/11/2014Great spot when attending the Lyric Opera. Service is efficient, food is quite good and reasonably priced, and it is right across the street from the Lyric. I like the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!Yumx2Dined on 10/11/2014Perfect for people going to a performance at Lyric Opera ..... Small but nice menu ..... Friendly ad efficient wait staff. Open space includes both bar and dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One North Kitchen & BarSlovakQueen2Dined on 10/9/2014My BFF and I were going to the opera and One North is right across the street from the opera house, so we figured it was super convenient. Pros: *Decent wine list *Beautiful décor *Excellent food Cons: *No separate event space (there was a young professionals after work event going on and they just blocked off part of the main restaurant... this made the noise level substantial and made it difficult to have a conversation without raising your voice). *Service was slow and the staff wasn't well versed in the menu (which is a shame because there are a lot of great things that could have been said about the food if our server had known what the various dishes were).Special Features:
- Pre-opera DiningCityGirlVIPDined on 10/9/2014We can always count on you for a good meal in plenty of time to get to the opera. Our server was very helpful, and our salmon was delicious.Special Features:
- Sterile, priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/8/2014Full windows facing Wacker Dr. High ceilings, plain décor. Small servings at high prices
- Excellent Meal & ServicewishmystomachhadmoreroomDined on 10/6/2014This was our first trip to One North. It's conveniently located across from Civic Opera House and near the Metra stations. Reservations are recommended. We were a bit early but were seated immediately. The waiter knew the menu well, which helped. My mom ordered a wine which she enjoyed. I had the scallop dish which was wonderful. I would definitely order it again. My mom chose a chicken pasta dish which she loved. I might have loved my dinner more that night than the opera itself! The bar scene was active when we arrived around 5pm. It appeared to draw a professional clientele. Once we left the restaurant, it was nearly packed, so much so getting the bill was a tad difficult. I would definitely recommend One North.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Strong Loop Lunchdt1213Dined on 9/30/2014One of my go to's for lunch in the loop, consistently strong and great service.Special Features:
- Miss Catherine EvansElizpatronDined on 9/26/2014The ambiance in the restaurant is relaxing. While not brightly lit, the lighting is elegant with table candles. The portions are well-prepared and presented on the dishes. The meal itself is ample for dinner. I have never dined in for lunch yet, but will consider doing so. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable about each selection. The timing of meal service was not more than thirty minutes. The restaurant was packed (including the outdoor dining area) when we arrived, so it took about fifteen minutes for our server to reach us. The decor was an amalgam of wood paneling and what appeared to be minimalist metal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hourGroupDinerDined on 9/23/2014Good for happy hour if you get there early. For dinner would seem weird. You would be the only people seated.Special Features:
- Reliable and goodFMCEVIPDined on 9/23/2014One North comes through again! Waitstaff is superior and food greatSpecial Features:
- Knocked the cover off the ballBonnieVIPDined on 9/17/2014Chef Piper is my favorite chef...but even she outdid herself. As a lunch special, she was offering mussles...In today's parlance...OMG! generous portion of fabulously sweet mussels in a rich broth that was so complex, yet satisfying, i don't know how to describe it...i sopped up every drop with the terrific crustini that accompanied the dish. the rich broth had the PERFECT amount of pepper slivers...a goldilocks event, just right!!!!! I don't often order mussles, because it is usually a "so what" experience...not the case with Chef Piper...i cannot wait to order them again and again and again!!!!4 STARS!!!!Special Features:
- too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014I brought 3 guests for a business lunch and it was way too loud for us to conduct business. The food was good, but I can't go back again.
- Perfect SettingChuckD105VIPDined on 9/10/2014One North is a great setting for a lunch meeting, for after-dinner meetings and drinks, and even for an energetic place pre-opera. The service was outstanding. I had the scallops which is my only mild criticism. Why spoil some great scallops with a fairly awful salad and sauce?Special Features:
- petcopDined on 9/2/2014Awful bread, overcooked chicken thighs. No good to boast special farm chicken if they get spoilt in the kitchen.
- Reliable lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/26/2014One North is simply a reliable lunch spot. It never really wows me but it's good for business.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceRLTNYCDined on 8/26/2014The service was excellent. The food was excellent. A bit noisey for a business lunch locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.