One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
One if by Land, Two if by Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oneifbyland.com/
- Phone: 2122558649x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 5:30pm - 9:30 pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30 - 11:15 pm Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 2:00 pm Sunday Dinner: 5:15pm - 9:30 pm Bar opens at 4:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colt Taylor
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One if by Land offers private dining for dinners and Sunday brunches. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2122558649x
- Entertainment: Live piano music Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, & Wednesdays
Jazz duo Tuesdays, Thursdays, Weekend Brunches
- Special Events: One if by Land can be utilized for weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversary parties, film shoots, and more. Please contact the restaurant.
A word from One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Fine dining in a landmark Greenwich Village carriage house. Dinner 7 nights a weeks, Weekend Jazz brunch from 11:30 am-2:00 pm, Casual Dining at the Bar. Private dining available for parties of 15 and larger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
One if by Land, Two if by Sea - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
One if by Land, Two if by Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (157)special occasion (131)fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (62)notable wine list (38)good for groups (13)great for brunch (13)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)hot spot (8)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very special brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Everything was beautiful and delicious and the service was friendly and responsive until about halfway through our meal everyone stopped coming over. But then they were really nice at the end - we just had to chase them down for the check. Beautiful setting and delicious lobster benedict!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This was the first time i was there and i didnt know what to expect. After dinner i was plesently surprised about everything. The only thing is that even though we had a reservation, we were sitted 45 minutes later. If they can improve on that part it would be a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014I've heard about this place for years but never made it. Such a gorgeous spot with wonderful food and great service. We went for our anniversary and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Less than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014We were disappointed with the meal experience. The food was not as expected. Fois gras terrine was served frozen solid, and once I could in fact eat it, there was nothing to cut the richness of the tiny spoon of fat. The octopus was tough. The waygu beef dish came out with microscopic portion of beef on it. And the poached lobster was served atop burnt sausage and undercooked baked beans. For dessert, the German chocolate cake looked like a battle on the plate and in no way resembled the classic dessert in taste, texture or looks. Our service was well below acceptable, as my dessert came out wrong and we were ignored most of the time. More so, our table wobbled so badly that when the server placed a drink on it, it spilled.
- Juan PabloOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Very good food and place to have a great dinner; enjoy The three course menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014No indication that there would be 60 people attending engagement party on second floor. We could not hear pianist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceGddunkDined on 10/16/2014We choose One If By Land Two If By Sea celebrate (or commiserate) the end of our holiday in the USA. We had a fantastic night with amazing food, the beef Wellington was great, great wine and the best service. I would highly recommend coming here. Ideal for couples or small groups. They really go that extra mile to ensure you have a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited choices2visitorsDined on 10/16/2014There was nothing on the menu that we could eat, they were out of several items, and could not accommodate a request to prepare a dish without butter. They did not offer to prepare something fir us. Inflexible. And nit the sign of a fine restaurant. Too bad, because the people were nice and the atmosphere lovely. But Was everything pre-prepared? We had to leave without dinner.Special Features:
- The ComebackOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014After many years of enjoying my visits to this wonderful restaurant, I had a very disappointing experience at my last visit to your restaurant. I provided candid feedback and was pleasantly surprised to receive rapid responses. My experience this week was a return to the excellence that had become my expectation for One if by Land, Two if by Sea. A splendid comebackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Took my wife here for her 50th birthday. Although we consider it to be "designer food" and the portions look small, we both were unable to finish the dessert course of the 4 course prix fix dinner. We sat next to the beautiful garden, which is a real treat for a restaurant in Manhattan. Our meal was well beyond her expectations for an important day. Thank you One if by land.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grt ambiance good food poor servceBdonsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great ambiance good food poor service. Great atmosphere, very romantic. We had the four course prefix menu for $89. The dishes were decent but the beef wellington was superb! Our waiter was horrible. I asked him what was included in the 7 course menu and he said it's on the menu and left. The menu said "Seven Course Chef’s Tasting Menu available upon request" SMH.Special Features:
- Low value for the moneyNotSoPickyDined on 10/11/2014We went to a priced fixed dinner on a Saturday night, and in our opinion it did not worth the $90.00/person value. For three people it was close to $400.00 with a glass of wine. Nothing spectacular on the menu, crowded, noisy, only a hot spot, right now in town.Special Features:
- Poor Serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Reviews of this restaurant led me to believe that I would have a different experience. The service was very poor. There seemed to be a team approach, with different servers attending at different times. Unfortunately, some were good and some not. When we asked a question of one server, he just said he didn't know what the dish was because he was new. The information we got from an otherwise knowledgeable server regarding the dishes included on the tasting menu turned out to be incorrect. Wine pairings were often served late, in one case coming after we had finished the course. The food was excellent. But I don't think that we will be returning.
- Great food and romantic ambiancejdallasDined on 10/9/2014This was a great restaurant with high quality, high taste food. The service was good and the ambiance was great. The price is a little high, but that was expected beforehand.Special Features:
- DisappointedCTFOODFIENDDined on 10/5/2014Nice ambiance: dark, candles, quiet, etc. Fixed price ONLY, which we knew in advance. It's pricey ($89), so all should be flawless. Food was fine, but not awesome. My entree (Chateaubriand, $6 surcharge) was not hot and needed more sauce. Waiter never came back to check if our entrees were okay. Service was slow and indifferent. Crispy pork belly appetizer was terrific. Salad had too much dressing. I think the waitstaff was overextended. Dessert menu was disappointing. Three of the six offerings were centered around almonds. I would have liked a creative chocolate dessert. I ordered the ice cream sundae offering; it was just OK and had an uninspired all-beige presentation—served in a jar. Please world, enough with the jar trend!Special Features:
- Gorgeous Restaurant, Beautiful FoodNewbie214Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant itself is a stunner - we had a fabulous table in front of a window overlooking the garden. Go a little early and enjoy a drink at the bar to have a chance to soak in the gorgeous surroundings. The meal itself was amazing and the vibe in this part of the city is incredibly cool. We loved it!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Great place, as advertised, courteous staff, great date spot, romantic! The gf loved it...Special Features:
- Classy amos, good good & serviceViviDined on 9/28/2014The sunday brunch with live jazz music is my favorite. The price is very affordable too. This place is so elegant and well decorated that you feel like you are eating in a castle in Europe. The window looks out to a beautiful garden. Perfect for dates and wedding venues. The food is also good. The servers also treat you with respect. The bar area gives you a classy and high end feeling.Special Features:
- NightmarelesmarkDined on 9/27/2014Electricity was out in the kitchen. We had our anniversary dinner planned. We drove an hour to this place on a Saturday night, paid for parking and walked up to be greeted with "we are sorry but the restaurant is closed". We did not receive a phone call or an email. It was Saturday evening in NYC. They offered a glass of wine at the bar as a consolation. When I asked for recommendations on where we could get in to eat on a Saturday night, the hostess replies "without a reservation on Saturday night will be very difficult." A simple phone call and a little courtesy and perhaps I would have been able to make a reservation somewhere else and save our anniversary dinner.
- cancelled reservationtinatrinaDined on 9/27/2014I had booked a reservation a month in advance for a Saturday night with my boyfriend who flew in from London. We arrived promptly for our reservation (8pm), and was told the kitchen lost power and the restaurant was closing for the night. We were offered NO consulation and our night was ruined. I understand it was not their "fault" that the power went out, however the hostess was unapologetic and we felt jilted. Will not be returning.
- Unusual SituationDisappointedVIPDined on 9/27/2014There was some sort of fire/electrical issue in kitchen. Thus, restaurant was closed that entire night and was not able to have dinner. Those sorts of "act of gods" happen and so that in of itself is not the reason for the bad review. We had called about 15 minutes before our reservation saying that we were running late and grabbing a cab just now. We weren't told then about the kitchen but instead had a cab all the way to the restaurant only to find it was closed. Had they simply said "we have a problem don't show", I would have avoided a whole cab ride to downtown. Honesty in a time of crises to customers is always the best thing.
- Bad P.R.PenguinVIPDined on 9/27/2014I chose this restaurant for the celebration of my partner's birthday because of its reputation for its ambiance and fine dining. We arrived at 7:00 and were told by the hostess that the kitchen had an electrical problem and to wait in the bar area and we would called when the problem was fixed. (The electricity was fine in the bar and restaurant). About 8:00 the hostess came over to tell us that the problem was not fixed and that they were closing the restaurant. No comp on the drinks or anything else. It was a big disappointment. After a $25.00 cab ride, we were left with no reservation on a Saturday night. They could have called us earlier in the day and we would have made other arrangements. They'll not see me there again.
- NativeNewYorkerDined on 9/26/2014I was extremely disappointed. I felt like I was at disney world's version of a romantic restaurant. Super cheesy all around. Food was okay, but the ambience was lame.
- Great Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Beautiful spot to enjoy our wedding anniversary!!!! Service was amazing!!!!! I think our servers name was Mo???? Anyway, he was very attentive but not intrusive. Menu was delicious and seasonal!!! Definitely recommend!!!Special Features:
- dundeeDined on 9/21/2014This is my favorite restaurant in NYC - so glad we could get in while we were visiting. I love the ambiance.....Special Features:
- Our favorite romantic dining in NYCdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Another fabulous evening for us. We were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and were seated on the main level with a view of the gardens. The chateaubriand was excellent, along with the oysters and lobster risotto. Service was impeccable and our server remembered us from our last visit, nearly a year beforehand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.notpleased1Dined on 9/20/2014Both meat dishes were grossly under-cooked. The wine selection was sparse. The wine we ordered was not available. There was an ant in the water glass. The mussel dish had 4 mussels. For the price and special occasion, this was a huge disappointment. We went to St. Regis afterwards to have a nice glass of wine, some after-dinner food, and enjoy an elegant ambiance.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype.ChrisDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is usually billed as one of the city's "Most Romantic", and I'd say it delivered. Live piano music, a candlelit table with a courtyard view, and attentive service contributed to a very nice ambiance. The food was very good as well; notably, the Pork Belly (medium plate) was fantastic! This restaurant is a great choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- One of the best !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I must say the staff the atmosphere and the food was fabulous I would recommend it For all to try and experience. And the pianist was great alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Good service is something different for this kind of Restaurant! We had to call the waiter back 3 times to take our whole order for drinks (only 2 of us). We ordered Pellegrino and got a blue bottle. Explanation: this is the new bottle of P in USA. It was Saratoga from US. We were told later, it comes from Italy. Label showed: bottled in USA. Only 2 different bread rolls; Souce for the Beef Wellington only for one person & far too cold, even the renewed request for another portion. When taken the order, the explanations were short und almost unfriendly. The "warm chanterelle bisque" was described as a soup on coconut basis, no mushrooms. It did taste differently, however. Waiting time to get attention and in between gangs far too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just One Thing MissingThnx4everythingDined on 9/16/2014This is just my opinion but I thought this place was fantastic overall! Ambiance was wonderful for a couples celebration, service was spot on & courteous. The live music was beautiful! My only tag on this restaurant is unfortunately the food served. Decoration was nice but it was the taste that really threw us off. We only really enjoyed 1 of the 4 dishes on the tasting menu. We didn't realize that we had to order the beef wellington but that shouldn't be an issue right. Everything on the menu I feel should stand alone. The beans for the squab wasn't pleasant and the citrus sauce for my steak was over powering. The hostess was very delightful and I just didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. But we did have a lovely time though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 13 years between visitsSeanDined on 9/13/2014Living out of state it took 13 years for a return visit but the food and service was still excellentSpecial Features:
- Billie SwaggartMsSwaggDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful staff, very attentive and welcoming. They treat each guest like they are VIP. Food was extremely well prepared and delicious!! Well worth every penny spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad assistant hostessbaseball4Dined on 9/12/2014She walked us to the table and did not move the table out for my gf to sit down in the banquette. Also both hostesses dresses too casually. Was told we could not sit by window that these tables were reserved 60 to 90 days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeMrWellingtonDined on 9/11/2014Great food, very expensive but for a special occasional it's a good place. We got a little unlucky and were sat quite intimately next to some person who thought he was the cats meow. Also an older lady had her cell phone ringing non stop and loud too. I was a bit surprised, figured an upscale place would eliminate rude people but I guess not. Anyway, that's not the restaurants fault, the service is 5-star, food is top class. Excellent bar scene, live music. Very comforting and welcoming hostess. Get what you pay for, not my absolute favorite place in the world but a must try if you have the money. Beef Wellington was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableEthantwistDined on 9/10/2014Romantic. Beautiful and interesting food. Great for that special occasionSpecial Features:
- FantasticJustineDined on 9/7/2014Can't wait to go back! Interesting historical background. Friendly staff. Dish I ordered was okay, would like to try other options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to beat!LordBritishVIPDined on 9/6/2014One if by Land, Two if by Sea, remains a favorite of ours. It has the perfect combination of beauty, service and great food. The carriage house overlooks an amazing garden kept up by the staff, the service is attentive yet not stuffy, and the food is inventive and delicious reformations of the familiar and exotic.Special Features:
- DisappointingIdnarDined on 9/6/2014Service was awful. Waited 20 min to order a drink. Had to flag down server. When drinks came they were wrong . Forgot olives in martini and put a tequila martini in a shot glass. When they brought it back in martini glass it was 1/3 full. Risotto was Luke warm and crunchy. Sent it back only to get half the portion on plate. Portions in General were small, food was covered in sauce and they ran out of many items on the menu. The quality of food and unprofessional ism of staff did not match the high price of the bill. Don't know what happened to this place. Have been there several times in the past and was always memorable. Sad because the ambiance is so beautiful.Special Features:
- Superb As AlwaysM2L2FindingGoodFoodDined on 9/5/2014One If By Land never fails to delight. Whether for a special dinner for two or a special event celebration, the food, the ambiance and the service were, as always ..... a joy! The staff was outstanding and the sommelier was particularly helpful. Go there. Feel pampered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.