One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
One if by Land, Two if by Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oneifbyland.com/
- Phone: 2122558649x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 5:30pm - 9:30 pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30 - 11:15 pm Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 2:00 pm Sunday Dinner: 5:15pm - 9:30 pm Bar opens at 4:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colt Taylor
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One if by Land offers private dining for dinners and Sunday brunches. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2122558649x
- Entertainment: Live piano music Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, & Wednesdays
Jazz duo Tuesdays, Thursdays, Weekend Brunches
- Special Events: One if by Land can be utilized for weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversary parties, film shoots, and more. Please contact the restaurant.
A word from One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Fine dining in a landmark Greenwich Village carriage house. Dinner 7 nights a weeks, Weekend Jazz brunch from 11:30 am-2:00 pm, Casual Dining at the Bar. Private dining available for parties of 15 and larger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
One if by Land, Two if by Sea - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
One if by Land, Two if by Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (162)special occasion (130)neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (46)scenic view (17)good for groups (15)great for brunch (14)late-night find (11)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Truly MemorableDocPHDined on 8/31/2014One of the all around most balanced and wonderful dining experiences in the US. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Came with a group of friends for brunch in the area. Great jazz to go along with good solid brunch menu. Portions are a little small but still quite satisfying. Good service as well. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014An excellent dining experience all around. The ambiance is incredibly romantic and immediately sets the mood when you walk through the door. Service was top notch from start to finish...attentive and friendly but not overbearing. My beef wellington was incredible (however the $55 price tag is a little aggressive) and my girlfriend's monkfish was amazing as well. Expensive meal, but great for a special occasion. Will returnSpecial Features:
- A birthday giftOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014I sent my high school friend and her husband here for her birthday and had prepaid their dinner. Everything about the experience was over-the-top perfect for my friends and they enjoyed themselves immensely. The food, service and ambience was exquisite.Special Features:
- what's happened to fine dining?MatteoBDined on 8/24/2014The food for the most part was pretty good, though the sauce on the main course over powered the beef. Service was unprofessional and lacked experience and attentiveness. The bar tender couldn't make a fancy looking mocktail for the kids and the bread was doughy and uninteresting. It would take but a few changes to make this a higher quality experience.
- Always ImpeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Aside from the stellar food and the beautiful ambiance, what my husband & I appreciate the most is the lack of pretension. Absolutely everyone on their staff is courteous, warm, & professional. We have been coming here since we were in our early 20's when spending this type of money meant a few months of saving. 10 visits and a decade later, I can't imagine celebrating our birthdays anywhere else. Their menu has changed a bit-gone was their standard "prix-fix" & we had 2 new dishes we had never had before--the octopus was outstanding, as were the scallops. I always get the Beef Wellington here because its just that delicious and their sommelier assisted us with a perfect bottle of wine. I cannot say enough good things about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service lacking at tablesamuseboucheVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ambience is great, the bar is a great place for a drink. However, for the price they're charging ($55 for a beef Wellington) the table service should be much better. The waiters don't record seat numbers when they take your order, they dont place cutlery on the table properly - they handed plates and silverware out to us when they couldn't be bothered walking around the table. The oysters were not freshly shucked and the waiter argued with us. The staff really needs a training overhaul if they are working at a restaurant priced at over $150ppSpecial Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Beautiful look, romantic. Food some are hits and miss. For appetizer Pork belly was awful, drenched in fat and felt undercooked, couldn't even eat it. Their scallops were very good a bit too well done on one side. For main course beef wellington was amazing. Desert was a good choice too. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising experience!!!More2VisitDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend. We made arragements for a special finner, my 50th birthday. Everything was great: ambiance, greeting, drinks, service, food!!! Great place for a couple!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic place. Excellent foodFernandoDined on 8/20/2014Lindo lugar ambiente romántico con un excelente servicio u comida bien preparada Carta del menú no muy variadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic ambiance and service!mfm2150Dined on 8/19/2014live jazz to boot! loved the experience! one if by land is great for a special night or just even a fun greenwich village escape from it all!Special Features:
- Great place with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Food was delicious. Scallops were 👍. Went there to celebrate a birthday. The hostess (owner?) personally came over to check on our table and inform us of a small delay with our orders. Brought out extras to keep out meal going. Ambiance was great with a live pianist and trumpet playing in the background. At the end of our meal, the kitchen brought out a birthday plate of goodies with a candle without any request for the table. (I noted in reservation with OT it was a birthday dinner.) Definitely a place that knows service to it's customers along with great food. Minor minus, the server was a little "off" with his wine recommendation/suggestion. But it was minor. Everyone still had a great time in a wonderful setting and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food. Worth Every PennyahscruzDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I went here for our 5-year wedding anniversary. Hands down, probably the most romantic and delicious dining experience we've had in quite some time. (We have two kids under 3 so it's been a while!) There new summer menu is out so we were able to try all the a la carte options. For an appetizer we split the pork belly and the scallops. The pork belly was cooked to perfection. And the flavor profile of the scallops was divine. For the main entree my husband had the monkfish and I had the beef wellington. Both excellent. Dessert he had the pavlova and I had the key lime and chocolate mousse. Hm, I'm just drooling thinking of that meal again. I definitely recommend.Special Features:
- BettyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Although the food was excellent, the service was really poor. they brought us the appetizer before even asking whether we wanted wine or drinks. Then , they forgot about the order of a side dish. They left the wine and food menu on our table for the entire duration of the evening. For such a beautiful place with such a great food you would have expected a much better service.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot in the VillageJoJoDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary at a nice, romantic restaurant. After searching some local foodie websites, I quickly noticed that One if by Land was featured on multiple top 10 lists; so we decided to give it a try. Our experience was wonderful. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the atmosphere was truly unique. Nestled in the middle of Greenwich Village, the restaurant occupies an old Carriage House that leaves a sense that you're dining in a piece of colonial history. Our server, Moon, was very friendly and engaging. He even brought us a complimentary dessert with the words "Happy Anniversary" spelled out in chocolate. I highly recommend One if by Land, Two if by Sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal ans settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014When here for our second anniversary and were treated very nicely. Very good food and attentive staff. Not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for. We would definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience; so-so foodAnotherReviewerDined on 8/15/2014For a moderately priced romantic restaurant in the city, the ambience is great. The staff, also, were wonderful. The food was the weak spot ... Left me less than impressed. Not bad, but nothing that's likely to seriously impress a sophisticated diner. (Hate to say it, but it's true!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opportunity missedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014I have he the distinct pleasure of dining at this wonderful restaurant on several occasions. It has always been one of my all time favorites. This past Thirsday night, I made a reservation for a friend and me and was very excited to have another memorable evening of great wines, fabulous food and splendid service. The wine was exceptional as was the food. However, the service experience fell far below expectations from both the reception desk to a very disinterested waiter. Very disappointing. When I made a comment to the reception desk lady as I was departing, I was disappointed again in her complete lack of interest or concern about the service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know your nameShikaraVIPDined on 8/14/2014Walk in and be welcomed as an old friend. Sit down to a wonderful meal, usually opened with a tiny portion of a wonderful cold soup no matter what you order. The food is fantastic. The service impeccable. It is an occasion no matter what the occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing!JaimePDined on 8/10/2014We went on the recommendation of a friend and were more then ecstatic with everything! The food was outstanding, the service was perfect, and area was magical! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romanticuncle55Dined on 8/10/2014nice place to take that special someone in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18 Anniversary and will return!7heavenDined on 8/9/2014Jewel for those who don't want the city view or central park but the food was fantastic and location historic. My Wife and I were in NYC for our 18th anniversary and looking for a special place to eat. Neither of us prefers the big night city view, the food is much more important to us. We were so excited to come. Rated as a top most romantic places to eat and it was. LOVED the Beef Wellington. Would also recomend the Scallops. The desserts were also great, just wished there was a little more. Our Hostess helped us find just the right table, we moved 3 times before ordering. For us by far the most romantic is a table next to the Garden. We luckily landed one. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SpotDoc255VIPDined on 8/9/2014Romantic restaurant with old world charm. All the food we ordered was Okay but too salty for our taste. Nothing I would rush back for more!Special Features:
- romantic dinnerjerseyDined on 8/8/2014Ambiance was nice food was good ... service ould have been better ... felt like we kept waiting to be asked what we wanted to drink .. waited to be given the menu and the bill ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never gets old!StephaneDined on 8/8/2014We were back 6 years later for our anniversary and it was good to be back. Although I must say the good was good but not as great as I remembered it, the service was exceptional ! The lady at the entrance put us at the table that we did not really like so I asked her to change and she came back and put us at the table where we were 6 years ago next to the window. She was very sweet and was very attentive to us. On top of that we had Moon. He was phenomenal. Great advices, not intrusive but present enough to make it a special night for us . Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- raw salmonOctopusDined on 8/3/2014I had a delicious monkfish which was perfectly balanced. My wife on the other hand had a salmon which was raw inside. When we confronted the server we were told that the chef serves the salmon medium rare. Having prepared the salmon myself I know that depending on the thickness of the filet you need to adjust the broil time. It is to bad that the ego of the chef does not allow any mistakes. Broiled or steamed what's the difference? If it is not what the costumer expected then we can say that the chef intended it that way. The menu does not say that the salmon is served medium rare. Most of the dishes served are probably good but for the price it is not really worth a risk of being disappointed on that special evening.Special Features:
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Highly recommend for a romantic dinner for two. They even brought out a special anniversary treat in the end. Must go back!Special Features:
- Olde World Charm in NYCnycginoDined on 8/2/2014This is the most romantic restaurant I have ever been to and I had a most enjoyable time there. The ambiance takes you back in time and the beautiful piano music in the back-ground was heaven sent. It is an olde world atmosphere here, like being back in Europe again. This is top-notch to take your someone special to. Romance rules!Special Features:
- scottcDined on 7/26/2014A special place for a special evening dinner. This is not a restaurant for the casual diner or someone looking to work on a budget, it is costly, but very elegant and appropriate for a nice dining experience. The diners surrounding us were all seemingly enjoying someplace out of the hustle and bustle normally associated with Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and romanticJfabDined on 7/25/2014One If By Land is a great spot for a special occasion or a beautiful date night. Top notch drink menu, with obviously good to boot. But a wonderful landmark gem located in the west village .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eveningoutVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great service from the moment we walked inside. This is a special restaurant with a charming garden area. Food delicious and service excellent. We look forward to our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, quaint ambianceBrookieDined on 7/20/2014We had the black bass and beef Wellington and both were amazing. Very friendly and professional staff and the historic building and soft lighting are very romantic. Great for groups or for a date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for FoodiessnobbyfoodieDined on 7/20/2014For a $400 meal for 3 people, the food should have been outstanding, and it was not. Your money is better spent at other fine dining establishments. I'm not sure why people come to this place, because besides the food being just okay, the service was definitely sub-standard. First, a soup appetizer arrived with no spoon. Then when entrees arrived at our table, they had not replaced our silverware. Additionally, we only had 3 courses, and yet service took over 2 hours for our dinner. I'm used to 2-3 hour dinner, but where we have more than 3 courses. Food tasted okay and was very slow to come out. Service was subpar. For $400, it should be an outstanding meal, and it was simply an ordinary "home-cooked" meal.
- Elegant BrunchJuliaMasiVIPDined on 7/20/2014If you are looking for an elegant spot to host a brunch or party then go straight to One If By Land Two If By Sea and book a table by the window. The food is sumptuous and the garden view will make you feel like are vacationing in the Enchanted Forest. And the iced latte's are the best in city.Special Features:
- bestdinerbestdinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our second time to1BL2BS... My birthday... The hostess made sure we got our garden seat and asked to move us.. Thanks! I wasn't too thrilled on the paella.. It was bland and under cooked.. Other than that the experience was wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very RomanticBigMacDined on 7/19/2014Excellent Service with even better food! My wife and I had the Chef's tasting menu and it was without a doubt the best dining experience of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceOneIfFanDined on 7/17/2014While we loved the ambience and thought the service was outstanding, the menu was too "precious." Except for the Beef Wellington, most of the other things were peculiar - not awful - but too experimental to know whether we liked them or not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014In such a great and pricey restaurant, the service cannot and should not be anything less than brilliant. I experienced an inattentive, uninterested, tired waiter who could not wait to see how much tip he got. Not very classy. The live music/ambience was great, and the food was good (though not excellent). The price for the food does not match the quality. The ambience would be the only reason to come back.Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/15/2014Took some out of town guests here, who raved about the beef wellington. Always romantic and full of stories at One if by Land... (who wouldn't want to check out Aaron Burr's carriage house?) A gorgeous and romantic institution of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Place to make memories....luckybumDined on 7/11/2014The ambiance is SUPERB! Romance is in the air...the staff s attentive and professional. The food is good. I recommend the Tasting Menu. This is the place to get engaged or really impress some one you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.