One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
One if by Land, Two if by Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oneifbyland.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-8649
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 5:30pm - 9:30 pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30 - 11:15 pm Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 2:00 pm Sunday Dinner: 5:15pm - 9:30 pm Bar opens at 4:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colt Taylor
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One if by Land offers private dining for dinners and Sunday brunches. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 2122558649x
- Entertainment: Live piano music Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, & Wednesdays
Jazz duo Tuesdays, Thursdays, Weekend Brunches
- Special Events: One if by Land can be utilized for weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversary parties, film shoots, and more. Please contact the restaurant.
A word from One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Fine dining in a landmark Greenwich Village carriage house. Dinner 7 nights a weeks, Weekend Jazz brunch from 11:30 am-2:00 pm, Casual Dining at the Bar. Private dining available for parties of 15 and larger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
One if by Land, Two if by Sea - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
One if by Land, Two if by Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (167)special occasion (147)fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (70)notable wine list (42)good for groups (16)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)scenic view (10)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Disappointing, mood-downing service trumps foodPalimpsestDined on 11/15/2014After hearing/reading about the history of the building, the former carriage house of Aaron Burr's estate called Richmond Hill (and reputedly haunted by him), we had an early reservation - 5:45 pm - last Saturday night and arrived to a mostly empty main dining room. The hostess, however, led us upstairs to a back, secondary room, clearly more interested in filling it than enhancing our experience of the ambience. When I spoke up, she immediately led us back to a table in the main room next to the stairs, the clearest sign that I had been correct. (Why hadn't she offered us a choice from the start? I can understand "Siberia" if we were walk-ins and the place was full, but not with a reservation and at that early hour.) After being seated and water poured/menus brought, it was - clocked- 11 minutes before anyone paid attention to us again to take our drinks order. Again, the space was still 80% empty and there were several waitstaff roaming the room. This pattern of unconcerned service continued with our waiter, whose lack of care and attentiveness in an establishment with such a high reputation (and prices) was surprising. To say his attitude was desultory is to be kind: during every interaction he had the manner of a person who had to go catch a bus and we were going to make him miss it. (Later, while asking about the desserts, he was looking around the room so much that I almost raised my hand to wave in front of his face to remind him we were still talking.) The company and the food (in that order) saved the evening. (The individual Beef Wellingtons were done perfectly.) Bottom line: don't expect the service to contribute to this being "the most romantic restaurant in New York": it detracts from it. And that's a real shame because the space is charming and the food itself very good.Special Features:
- Beautiful vibe not the best serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014This was my second time at tis restaurant and the first time was much better. I love the old world look and romantic feel of this place! However the service was not very good. Our waitress was a very cold (borderline rude) young lady. She cut my husband off while he was speaking several times and seemed annoyed with our questions. The food selection was limited especially for me being a vegetarian, but normally it's not a problem for a chef to work something out, they refused to alter any dishes to not have meat, and what we had was OK. The wine was fantastic and we loved the vibe. I just hope they open the menu to more vegetarian options and and hire more friendly servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic restaurantMartyJDined on 11/8/2014Good for intimate dinner for two, but not for a gathering of friends who are looking to have a good meal. You can linger over a glass of wine and not feel rushed. The food was well prepared and presented and the service was excellent, but the portions were small except for the main course which was about 6 ounces. The appetizer was minuscule (1 scallop). The Beef Wellington which is their claim to fame was perfectly done to order. The deserts were excellent. In short go here for a romantic evening with someone you love, but don't go very hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special nights outRachelDined on 11/8/2014With wonderful food, amazing service, and a very romantic atmosphere, One if by Land, Two if by Sea was a perfect spot to celebrate a special night. Absolutely great and highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent and GorgeousNYerVIPDined on 11/7/2014OIBL TIBS is one of the most beautiful restaurants in the city ( thus anywhere). Everyone who works there is extraordinarily gracious and pleasant. Maria, the maître d', makes every guest feel at home and takes great care, as does every member of the highly professional staff. Every dish that comes out of the kitchen is excellent. The wine list is compact but works well.Special Features:
- Poor Service Steals the ShowLPavorottiDined on 11/7/2014I took my wife to OIBLTIBS for her birthday. The building and rooms are gorgeous - very romantic, and fairly small, so you feel like you're really somewhere special. The food was surprisingly good, as I thought perhaps the restaurant would skate by on atmosphere alone. We had a significant problem with service, however. Our waitress basically abandoned us after taking our order, and didn't show up again until it was time for desert. By the time she arrived, we were already late for a nearby show, and had to leave without desert - which was included in the prix-fixe. We had to flag down another waiter for service, and complained to the manager. They were nice enough to pay for our first round of drinks, but this poor service shouldn't happen at such a top restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Micro portions for macro priceHungryDined on 11/7/2014While the quality of the food was excellent, the portions were really tiny. The lobster bisque was delicious, however the serving could not have been more than 2 or 3 ounces. The vegetables served with beef wellington was what appeared to be a single green string bean delicately sliced into 4 pieces. For the $90 prix fixe I didn't think I would leave hungy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicebrunchdinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014I wanted to make special mention of my gratitude for how well we were treated. We asked an unusual favor of the woman in charge, and she obliged very kindly. My date and I realized at the end of dinner that we needed to print our tickets for the show we were attending and we hadn't done so. We were cutting it way too close to showtime to stop and find a place to print tickets, so we were in a difficult spot. I asked the proprietor if she could help us out, and she took my girlfriend to their adjacent offices to print us our tickets. This was during a busy dinner time and we had already paid - she owed us nothing and could have very credibly and easily declined. She saved our night!Special Features:
- Lovely placeSpinolaDined on 11/6/2014We went there for my birthday comemoration, me and my wife, and we had a surprise with the food, the fine attention of every one there, a very good food, a good wine list, and at the end a gift from the chef with smal cakés, a candle and wire in the platéia with chocolat Happy Birthday. It Is a 3 star restaurant in price and. 4 star in everything else.Lovely place, Lovely food, Unforgetable party.Special Features:
- Food was unremarkable in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/4/2014We dined here for our anniversary and won't be back. The ambiance is nice, like a New England inn but the food was not worth the $90-something prix fixe price. It was over-salty, unimaginative and heavy. The worst was dessert, which was too sweet and just crude. Like many we came because it's supposedly romantic. If you don't care so much about the food then go for it. Otherwise there are much better places out there.Special Features:
- Sunday live jazz brunchHungryandthirstyVIPDined on 11/2/2014We went for brunch on a Sunday when there is live jazz in the bar area. We started with a cocktail by the fire place, listening to the nice music which also works well in the background. The place has very nice ambiance, especially in the bar area. The food and the cocktails were good, although not excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The right choicemblancoDined on 11/1/2014We had an excellent brunch here, the place, the food , the music and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great dinnerexplwrDined on 10/31/2014atmospheric, good food, good wine, outstanding service, and a much more interesting layout than your typical fine NYC restaurantSpecial Features:
- good service, dry porkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014service was excellent. Pork was too dry. Other courses were good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambianceeasyEDined on 10/29/2014Great blend from the Chef as well as the Designer of the restaurant. Thought it was great food and a good price after using my SELECT card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencePortugueseinNYDined on 10/29/2014Very well executed dishes. The only one we didn't appreciated was the crispy octopus that was actually burned. But the waiter offered to switch to another one. In the website is not cleared the 4 dishes mandatory menu. Very friendly service.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!RodneyVIPDined on 10/29/2014One if by Land is an outstanding restaurant tucked into the middle of a Barrow St block in the West Village near Washington Square. A charming white tablecloth place with generously spaced tables and a view of a garden. You enter past an antique bar with a piano playing softly. The menu is divided into three sections: small plates, medium, and large, plus desert. For a price fixe of $89(the only option) you choose one each from the list. A wide variety of types and styles (I had a beet cured trout, fried oysters, and poached lobster), each extremely well prepared and presented. An excellent choice of fairly priced wines by the glass. Attentive but not overly so service. A quiet dining room, a rare find these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Wonderful!DarcinikolVIPDined on 10/28/2014It was such a pleasure to return to NY after a few years and take some friends to One if By Land. Everything from the waitstaff, to the meal and the lovely ambiance were as wonderful as always. While we all selected the signature beef wellington (a must-try), our first course and desserts were varied and delicious. The wine list is somewhat limited but quite reasonable in price and the 2 bottles we choose were very nice. The fact that one of the staff recognized me from years ago just added to the personalized character of this true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I went there for my anniversary dinner with my girlfriend and we had a great time. The service was phenomenal, especially Moon. He was very knowledgable and helped us with our drink choices. The place is gorgeous including the outdoor garden. Everything was wonderful especially the food. Short rib, beef Wellington, banana peanut butter landscape. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peterSusanDined on 10/25/2014Disappointed to find out it was rated a "B". Flavors in small and medium category choices were bland and when waiter asked how it was and response wasn't favorable, he literally just walked away. Beef Wellington was outstanding. Overall atmosphere was romantic- place for couples. Not sure if we'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a cab ride!Crazy4foodVIPDined on 10/25/2014We saw this restaurant on the Travel Channel as a haunted restaurant. We booked our reservations on a lark. It was quiet, elegant and a gem of a place. Didn't see any ghosts but had an amazing beef Wellington and some amazing wine from Long Island. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time here, love it!!KarlMuiDined on 10/21/2014I booked this restraunt for our 7th anniversary, and everything turns out great. Love the romantic environment with the piano and jazz play in the background. Beef wellington is a MUST to try, i also recommend the German chocolate cake. Another friendly reminder is that you will need to wait for the food to be served in a bit longer, we spent 2 hour and a half for the dinner, but we understand this is how they work out, so it's fine.Special Features:
- Very special brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Everything was beautiful and delicious and the service was friendly and responsive until about halfway through our meal everyone stopped coming over. But then they were really nice at the end - we just had to chase them down for the check. Beautiful setting and delicious lobster benedict!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeJohn35Dined on 10/18/2014This was the first time i was there and i didnt know what to expect. After dinner i was plesently surprised about everything. The only thing is that even though we had a reservation, we were sitted 45 minutes later. If they can improve on that part it would be a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014I've heard about this place for years but never made it. Such a gorgeous spot with wonderful food and great service. We went for our anniversary and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Less than expectedMaritamVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were disappointed with the meal experience. The food was not as expected. Fois gras terrine was served frozen solid, and once I could in fact eat it, there was nothing to cut the richness of the tiny spoon of fat. The octopus was tough. The waygu beef dish came out with microscopic portion of beef on it. And the poached lobster was served atop burnt sausage and undercooked baked beans. For dessert, the German chocolate cake looked like a battle on the plate and in no way resembled the classic dessert in taste, texture or looks. Our service was well below acceptable, as my dessert came out wrong and we were ignored most of the time. More so, our table wobbled so badly that when the server placed a drink on it, it spilled.
- Juan PabloJpgroenewold79Dined on 10/17/2014Very good food and place to have a great dinner; enjoy The three course menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidgeholaDined on 10/17/2014No indication that there would be 60 people attending engagement party on second floor. We could not hear pianist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Great ServiceGddunkDined on 10/16/2014We choose One If By Land Two If By Sea celebrate (or commiserate) the end of our holiday in the USA. We had a fantastic night with amazing food, the beef Wellington was great, great wine and the best service. I would highly recommend coming here. Ideal for couples or small groups. They really go that extra mile to ensure you have a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited choices2visitorsDined on 10/16/2014There was nothing on the menu that we could eat, they were out of several items, and could not accommodate a request to prepare a dish without butter. They did not offer to prepare something fir us. Inflexible. And nit the sign of a fine restaurant. Too bad, because the people were nice and the atmosphere lovely. But Was everything pre-prepared? We had to leave without dinner.Special Features:
- The ComebackOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014After many years of enjoying my visits to this wonderful restaurant, I had a very disappointing experience at my last visit to your restaurant. I provided candid feedback and was pleasantly surprised to receive rapid responses. My experience this week was a return to the excellence that had become my expectation for One if by Land, Two if by Sea. A splendid comebackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Took my wife here for her 50th birthday. Although we consider it to be "designer food" and the portions look small, we both were unable to finish the dessert course of the 4 course prix fix dinner. We sat next to the beautiful garden, which is a real treat for a restaurant in Manhattan. Our meal was well beyond her expectations for an important day. Thank you One if by land.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grt ambiance good food poor servceBdonsVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great ambiance good food poor service. Great atmosphere, very romantic. We had the four course prefix menu for $89. The dishes were decent but the beef wellington was superb! Our waiter was horrible. I asked him what was included in the 7 course menu and he said it's on the menu and left. The menu said "Seven Course Chef’s Tasting Menu available upon request" SMH.Special Features:
- Low value for the moneyNotSoPickyDined on 10/11/2014We went to a priced fixed dinner on a Saturday night, and in our opinion it did not worth the $90.00/person value. For three people it was close to $400.00 with a glass of wine. Nothing spectacular on the menu, crowded, noisy, only a hot spot, right now in town.Special Features:
- Poor Serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Reviews of this restaurant led me to believe that I would have a different experience. The service was very poor. There seemed to be a team approach, with different servers attending at different times. Unfortunately, some were good and some not. When we asked a question of one server, he just said he didn't know what the dish was because he was new. The information we got from an otherwise knowledgeable server regarding the dishes included on the tasting menu turned out to be incorrect. Wine pairings were often served late, in one case coming after we had finished the course. The food was excellent. But I don't think that we will be returning.
- Great food and romantic ambiancejdallasDined on 10/9/2014This was a great restaurant with high quality, high taste food. The service was good and the ambiance was great. The price is a little high, but that was expected beforehand.Special Features:
- DisappointedCTFOODFIENDDined on 10/5/2014Nice ambiance: dark, candles, quiet, etc. Fixed price ONLY, which we knew in advance. It's pricey ($89), so all should be flawless. Food was fine, but not awesome. My entree (Chateaubriand, $6 surcharge) was not hot and needed more sauce. Waiter never came back to check if our entrees were okay. Service was slow and indifferent. Crispy pork belly appetizer was terrific. Salad had too much dressing. I think the waitstaff was overextended. Dessert menu was disappointing. Three of the six offerings were centered around almonds. I would have liked a creative chocolate dessert. I ordered the ice cream sundae offering; it was just OK and had an uninspired all-beige presentation—served in a jar. Please world, enough with the jar trend!Special Features:
- Gorgeous Restaurant, Beautiful FoodNewbie214Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant itself is a stunner - we had a fabulous table in front of a window overlooking the garden. Go a little early and enjoy a drink at the bar to have a chance to soak in the gorgeous surroundings. The meal itself was amazing and the vibe in this part of the city is incredibly cool. We loved it!!Special Features:
- Great for Brunch TOONYerVIPDined on 10/2/2014We have eaten often at ONE... Many time. We always knew it as great for special occasion dinners. It is also great for brunch. All of the usual strengths of course are there: it's as beautiful on stun day afternoon as it Saturday night, staff I'd great, food is wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014Great place, as advertised, courteous staff, great date spot, romantic! The gf loved it...Special Features: