One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
One if by Land, Two if by Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oneifbyland.com/
- Phone: 2122558649x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 5:30pm - 9:30 pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30 - 11:15 pm Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 2:00 pm Sunday Dinner: 5:15pm - 9:30 pm Bar opens at 4:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colt Taylor
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One if by Land offers private dining for dinners and Sunday brunches. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2122558649x
- Entertainment: Live piano music Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, & Wednesdays
Jazz duo Tuesdays, Thursdays, Weekend Brunches
- Special Events: One if by Land can be utilized for weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversary parties, film shoots, and more. Please contact the restaurant.
A word from One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Fine dining in a landmark Greenwich Village carriage house. Dinner 7 nights a weeks, Weekend Jazz brunch from 11:30 am-2:00 pm, Casual Dining at the Bar. Private dining available for parties of 15 and larger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
One if by Land, Two if by Sea - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
One if by Land, Two if by Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (157)special occasion (131)neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (63)notable wine list (43)scenic view (14)great for brunch (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Service QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Good service is something different for this kind of Restaurant! We had to call the waiter back 3 times to take our whole order for drinks (only 2 of us). We ordered Pellegrino and got a blue bottle. Explanation: this is the new bottle of P in USA. It was Saratoga from US. We were told later, it comes from Italy. Label showed: bottled in USA. Only 2 different bread rolls; Souce for the Beef Wellington only for one person & far too cold, even the renewed request for another portion. When taken the order, the explanations were short und almost unfriendly. The "warm chanterelle bisque" was described as a soup on coconut basis, no mushrooms. It did taste differently, however. Waiting time to get attention and in between gangs far too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just One Thing MissingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014This is just my opinion but I thought this place was fantastic overall! Ambiance was wonderful for a couples celebration, service was spot on & courteous. The live music was beautiful! My only tag on this restaurant is unfortunately the food served. Decoration was nice but it was the taste that really threw us off. We only really enjoyed 1 of the 4 dishes on the tasting menu. We didn't realize that we had to order the beef wellington but that shouldn't be an issue right. Everything on the menu I feel should stand alone. The beans for the squab wasn't pleasant and the citrus sauce for my steak was over powering. The hostess was very delightful and I just didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. But we did have a lovely time though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 13 years between visitsSeanDined on 9/13/2014Living out of state it took 13 years for a return visit but the food and service was still excellentSpecial Features:
- Billie SwaggartMsSwaggDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful staff, very attentive and welcoming. They treat each guest like they are VIP. Food was extremely well prepared and delicious!! Well worth every penny spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad assistant hostessbaseball4Dined on 9/12/2014She walked us to the table and did not move the table out for my gf to sit down in the banquette. Also both hostesses dresses too casually. Was told we could not sit by window that these tables were reserved 60 to 90 days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great food, very expensive but for a special occasional it's a good place. We got a little unlucky and were sat quite intimately next to some person who thought he was the cats meow. Also an older lady had her cell phone ringing non stop and loud too. I was a bit surprised, figured an upscale place would eliminate rude people but I guess not. Anyway, that's not the restaurants fault, the service is 5-star, food is top class. Excellent bar scene, live music. Very comforting and welcoming hostess. Get what you pay for, not my absolute favorite place in the world but a must try if you have the money. Beef Wellington was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableEthantwistDined on 9/10/2014Romantic. Beautiful and interesting food. Great for that special occasionSpecial Features:
- FantasticJustineDined on 9/7/2014Can't wait to go back! Interesting historical background. Friendly staff. Dish I ordered was okay, would like to try other options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to beat!LordBritishVIPDined on 9/6/2014One if by Land, Two if by Sea, remains a favorite of ours. It has the perfect combination of beauty, service and great food. The carriage house overlooks an amazing garden kept up by the staff, the service is attentive yet not stuffy, and the food is inventive and delicious reformations of the familiar and exotic.Special Features:
- DisappointingIdnarDined on 9/6/2014Service was awful. Waited 20 min to order a drink. Had to flag down server. When drinks came they were wrong . Forgot olives in martini and put a tequila martini in a shot glass. When they brought it back in martini glass it was 1/3 full. Risotto was Luke warm and crunchy. Sent it back only to get half the portion on plate. Portions in General were small, food was covered in sauce and they ran out of many items on the menu. The quality of food and unprofessional ism of staff did not match the high price of the bill. Don't know what happened to this place. Have been there several times in the past and was always memorable. Sad because the ambiance is so beautiful.Special Features:
- Superb As AlwaysM2L2FindingGoodFoodDined on 9/5/2014One If By Land never fails to delight. Whether for a special dinner for two or a special event celebration, the food, the ambiance and the service were, as always ..... a joy! The staff was outstanding and the sommelier was particularly helpful. Go there. Feel pampered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerFoodfreAckDined on 9/4/2014The hostess did a fab. Job. The waiter was a so so. Food was good. Just returned from Sanibel,Florida and truly thought food their was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UP to expectations and moreSupercoachdinesDined on 9/2/2014the menu has just changed but still very good and Beef Wellington is still there. My "annual" return was even better than expcected becasue noise level was down (the back room is preferred) and service appropriately friendly.Excellent new Zealand wine. Bar service and jazz duo also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For that special occasion.MAKtheforkVIPDined on 8/31/2014For a special occasion and sheer pleasure - unusually it manages to combine a sense of being lively and a hot spot with quiet tables where it is possible to have a private conversation. and the food and wine have never disappointed. First rate.Special Features:
- Truly MemorableDocPHDined on 8/31/2014One of the all around most balanced and wonderful dining experiences in the US. Thank you.Special Features:
- Great brunchSchynpaDined on 8/31/2014Came with a group of friends for brunch in the area. Great jazz to go along with good solid brunch menu. Portions are a little small but still quite satisfying. Good service as well. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuBlueAlbanyDined on 8/30/2014Tasting menu was interesting but food lacked distinctive flavor or seasoning, quite blandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014An excellent dining experience all around. The ambiance is incredibly romantic and immediately sets the mood when you walk through the door. Service was top notch from start to finish...attentive and friendly but not overbearing. My beef wellington was incredible (however the $55 price tag is a little aggressive) and my girlfriend's monkfish was amazing as well. Expensive meal, but great for a special occasion. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Great restaurantluvtravellingDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I went to One if by Land for her 40th birthday. She loved the ambience and the food. We strongly recommend this place for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014it's always welcoming and wonderful that the staff know what we like and go out of their way to accomodate our tasteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A birthday giftStarvingArtistDined on 8/25/2014I sent my high school friend and her husband here for her birthday and had prepaid their dinner. Everything about the experience was over-the-top perfect for my friends and they enjoyed themselves immensely. The food, service and ambience was exquisite.Special Features:
- what's happened to fine dining?MatteoBDined on 8/24/2014The food for the most part was pretty good, though the sauce on the main course over powered the beef. Service was unprofessional and lacked experience and attentiveness. The bar tender couldn't make a fancy looking mocktail for the kids and the bread was doughy and uninteresting. It would take but a few changes to make this a higher quality experience.
- Always ImpeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Aside from the stellar food and the beautiful ambiance, what my husband & I appreciate the most is the lack of pretension. Absolutely everyone on their staff is courteous, warm, & professional. We have been coming here since we were in our early 20's when spending this type of money meant a few months of saving. 10 visits and a decade later, I can't imagine celebrating our birthdays anywhere else. Their menu has changed a bit-gone was their standard "prix-fix" & we had 2 new dishes we had never had before--the octopus was outstanding, as were the scallops. I always get the Beef Wellington here because its just that delicious and their sommelier assisted us with a perfect bottle of wine. I cannot say enough good things about this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service lacking at tablesamuseboucheVIPDined on 8/22/2014Ambience is great, the bar is a great place for a drink. However, for the price they're charging ($55 for a beef Wellington) the table service should be much better. The waiters don't record seat numbers when they take your order, they dont place cutlery on the table properly - they handed plates and silverware out to us when they couldn't be bothered walking around the table. The oysters were not freshly shucked and the waiter argued with us. The staff really needs a training overhaul if they are working at a restaurant priced at over $150ppSpecial Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Beautiful look, romantic. Food some are hits and miss. For appetizer Pork belly was awful, drenched in fat and felt undercooked, couldn't even eat it. Their scallops were very good a bit too well done on one side. For main course beef wellington was amazing. Desert was a good choice too. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising experience!!!More2VisitDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant was recommended to us by a friend. We made arragements for a special finner, my 50th birthday. Everything was great: ambiance, greeting, drinks, service, food!!! Great place for a couple!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic place. Excellent foodFernandoDined on 8/20/2014Lindo lugar ambiente romántico con un excelente servicio u comida bien preparada Carta del menú no muy variadaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic ambiance and service!mfm2150Dined on 8/19/2014live jazz to boot! loved the experience! one if by land is great for a special night or just even a fun greenwich village escape from it all!Special Features:
- Great place with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Food was delicious. Scallops were 👍. Went there to celebrate a birthday. The hostess (owner?) personally came over to check on our table and inform us of a small delay with our orders. Brought out extras to keep out meal going. Ambiance was great with a live pianist and trumpet playing in the background. At the end of our meal, the kitchen brought out a birthday plate of goodies with a candle without any request for the table. (I noted in reservation with OT it was a birthday dinner.) Definitely a place that knows service to it's customers along with great food. Minor minus, the server was a little "off" with his wine recommendation/suggestion. But it was minor. Everyone still had a great time in a wonderful setting and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food. Worth Every PennyahscruzDined on 8/18/2014My husband and I went here for our 5-year wedding anniversary. Hands down, probably the most romantic and delicious dining experience we've had in quite some time. (We have two kids under 3 so it's been a while!) There new summer menu is out so we were able to try all the a la carte options. For an appetizer we split the pork belly and the scallops. The pork belly was cooked to perfection. And the flavor profile of the scallops was divine. For the main entree my husband had the monkfish and I had the beef wellington. Both excellent. Dessert he had the pavlova and I had the key lime and chocolate mousse. Hm, I'm just drooling thinking of that meal again. I definitely recommend.Special Features:
- BettyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Although the food was excellent, the service was really poor. they brought us the appetizer before even asking whether we wanted wine or drinks. Then , they forgot about the order of a side dish. They left the wine and food menu on our table for the entire duration of the evening. For such a beautiful place with such a great food you would have expected a much better service.Special Features:
- Great Date Spot in the VillageJoJoDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary at a nice, romantic restaurant. After searching some local foodie websites, I quickly noticed that One if by Land was featured on multiple top 10 lists; so we decided to give it a try. Our experience was wonderful. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the atmosphere was truly unique. Nestled in the middle of Greenwich Village, the restaurant occupies an old Carriage House that leaves a sense that you're dining in a piece of colonial history. Our server, Moon, was very friendly and engaging. He even brought us a complimentary dessert with the words "Happy Anniversary" spelled out in chocolate. I highly recommend One if by Land, Two if by Sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal ans settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014When here for our second anniversary and were treated very nicely. Very good food and attentive staff. Not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for. We would definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience; so-so foodAnotherReviewerDined on 8/15/2014For a moderately priced romantic restaurant in the city, the ambience is great. The staff, also, were wonderful. The food was the weak spot ... Left me less than impressed. Not bad, but nothing that's likely to seriously impress a sophisticated diner. (Hate to say it, but it's true!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opportunity missedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014I have he the distinct pleasure of dining at this wonderful restaurant on several occasions. It has always been one of my all time favorites. This past Thirsday night, I made a reservation for a friend and me and was very excited to have another memorable evening of great wines, fabulous food and splendid service. The wine was exceptional as was the food. However, the service experience fell far below expectations from both the reception desk to a very disinterested waiter. Very disappointing. When I made a comment to the reception desk lady as I was departing, I was disappointed again in her complete lack of interest or concern about the service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know your nameShikaraVIPDined on 8/14/2014Walk in and be welcomed as an old friend. Sit down to a wonderful meal, usually opened with a tiny portion of a wonderful cold soup no matter what you order. The food is fantastic. The service impeccable. It is an occasion no matter what the occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing!JaimePDined on 8/10/2014We went on the recommendation of a friend and were more then ecstatic with everything! The food was outstanding, the service was perfect, and area was magical! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romanticuncle55Dined on 8/10/2014nice place to take that special someone in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18 Anniversary and will return!7heavenDined on 8/9/2014Jewel for those who don't want the city view or central park but the food was fantastic and location historic. My Wife and I were in NYC for our 18th anniversary and looking for a special place to eat. Neither of us prefers the big night city view, the food is much more important to us. We were so excited to come. Rated as a top most romantic places to eat and it was. LOVED the Beef Wellington. Would also recomend the Scallops. The desserts were also great, just wished there was a little more. Our Hostess helped us find just the right table, we moved 3 times before ordering. For us by far the most romantic is a table next to the Garden. We luckily landed one. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SpotDoc255VIPDined on 8/9/2014Romantic restaurant with old world charm. All the food we ordered was Okay but too salty for our taste. Nothing I would rush back for more!Special Features: