Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelviking.com/
- Phone: 4018484824x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00AM - 11:00AM; Afternoon Tea: 2:00PM - 4:00PM; Lunch Daily: 11:00AM - 3:00PM; Dinner Nightly: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Thiele
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Outdoor catering available with certain seasonal restrictions.
- Private Party Facilities: Outside seating = 55 people Garden Room seating =35 people Main Dining Room = 55 people (all rooms are semi-private)
- Private Party Contact: Federico Luzzi 4018484874x
- Entertainment: Seasonal weekends on The Top of Newport.
- Special Events: Holiday Events, Spirits & Stogies (TON)
Patio receptions, planned wine dinners, chef's tasting menus, seasonal pre-fixe menu, limited dinner and lunch menus, custom menus created to suit guest and group needs. Enjoy!
A word from One Bellevue
Flavor and freshness define the boutique American dinner bistro that is One Bellevue. Experience modern culinary treasures of both land and sea on a healthy and inviting menu prepared by our talented Executive Chef Kevin Thiele. Attentive service, sophisticated surroundings, award-winning wine selections, creative cocktails and food infused with influences from around the world identify the feel of this One, unique, Rhode Island dining destination!” At One Bellevue, restaurant highlights include dual complimentary signature spreads at sit-down with warm artisan bread and un-salted butter as well as a monthly food specialty paired with a luscious selection from our advanced wine list. Chef Thiele’s Fresh-Made Pumpkin Tortelloni, Bouillabaisse Broth or Macadamia and Goat Cheese Crusted Lamb Rack Chops are just three of the delicious signature dishes available this spring.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
One Bellevue - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
One Bellevue reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (10)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Hidden SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I stumbled upon One Bellevue, but I was pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is attached to a hotel, but the atmosphere is still very peaceful with great views of the city. The menu seems limited for the general impression of elegance you will have once you enter....but from the three things I tried....they were ALL delicious! So if their goal was to make a very small selection of dishes incredibly tempting. ....SUCCESS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, terrible service...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We waited over 40 minutes for out food, and 15 just for my wine. neither of these waiting times would have been unreasonable either if they had been busy. my party of two was the first seated in the garden room and we were completely alone in the entire room for almost 15 mins. the service was just awful. no one even came to greet us during that time.
- Viking Hotel restaurantHiccupDined on 8/15/2014Rumor has it that the property recently changed ownership, so there's a chance for a few improvements... The menu entree's are limited. The dinner entree's we ordered (unshelled lobster dish, cod dish, and salmon dish) were creatively prepared, and absolutely delicious; kudos to the chef. But if you are going to charge $30-$40 per entree, and serve it in a lovely colonial hotel diningroom, the customer should expect the decorum of a tablecloth. The server wasn't very polished. The wine selections per se are good. The server's knowledge of wine was lacking, as when he provided a "Chateau Riesling". The final issue was a cold cup of (hot) de-caf, to which the server commented "Oh, gross huh?". We declined his offer for a "fresh" pot.Special Features:
- underwhelmed...imaservertooDined on 8/15/2014It was beautiful outside. Service was nice, but I expected more refined FineDining experience. It was certainly more towards casual than Fine Dining. The Chowder was great and so was the Calamari. My Bass was overcooked and the quinoa with it was bland. My wife's Filet was good. It was not busy for a Saturday night, but each course took a while to come out. It did not bother me because we were just relaxing anyway. I had also mentioned it was my wife's birthday in the reservation, and there was no recognition. To be fair we did not order dessert. For the price and the reputation, I would have thought The Viking would be striving to impress with a more sophisticated dining experience. It was alright, I suppose I just expected more...Special Features:
- Treat YourselfLuv2dineDined on 8/15/2014One Bellevue will be my go to restaurant from here on. Friends and I met for a perfect, relaxing lunch. There is valet parking (how easy is that), followed by a personable hostess who led us to the courtyard to enjoy wonderfully prepared food, and experienced, attentive service. The ambience of the courtyard completed our dining experience. Evening dining in the courtyard must be even nicer with its outdoor fireplace and pineapple, glass post lightening perfectly positioned for atmosphere. So glad we chose One Bellevue over the noisy, hustled restaurants on the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Let Down...RHP1955Dined on 8/10/2014We chose One Bellevue for our only dinner in Newport, our first night to open the week's tour of New England as a family (of 4). We read that the chef was rated No. 1 in Newport. We experienced a series of let-downs from the get-go. 1. The pictures and menu belied expectations: high-priced but no table cloths. 2. We were seated inside next to a door to the outdoor patio (the inside restaurant was virtually empty). We waited 15 minutes to be asked for our order ("we are very busy tonight"). We had to ask to be moved deeper in. 3. Waited 30 minutes for starters, 2 of which were terrible. Risotto tasted like "creamy rice". 4. 2 of the 4 entrees were horrible. Bass was overcooked and smelly. 5. Manager had to come to make amends finally.
- Lovely Sunday BrunchmaggiedinesoutDined on 8/3/2014Set on a quiet, picturesque street in Newport, this is a pleasant change from the harbor-side crowds that are typical on a summer weekend. Lovely outdoor garden with stone fireplace makes a beautiful setting for lunch. Choice of buffet or menu items, so something for everyone. The preparation was typical of most Sunday brunches. Two of our guests did not feel that their eggs were adequately cooked (from the menu), but the server never came back to see if everything was satisfactory Other guests were satisfied with their selections. Able to accommodate gluten-free requests. Located in the Viking hotel, you get a mix of hotel guests and other tourists.Special Features:
- A Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/1/2014We began with cocktails at the roof top bar. It was energetic and our host Michael was friendly and welcoming. We had dinner in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious along with the very attentative and professional service. Once again our host Michael was wonderful. His knowledge of the wine list was most helpful. He was always in site making certain all went well. Our appetizer was the Tuna Tartare and was big enough to share. My husband had the poached lobster and I the striped bass. Both excellent. I would definitely return to One Bellevue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014We started dinner outside but it started to rain. The staff was quick and efficient to move everyone inside. The food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014The dinning room was close to empty when we arrived and left - the service was good - the food took a very long time to be prepared considering the restaurant was almost empty. We also went to the bar on top of the hotel for a before dinner drink - we each had a glass of wine. The glass of wine we each received was about 3 oz - and considering the price it was not worth it. The view was only nice from the bar..Special Features:
- Delicious Experience!!HappynewlywedDined on 6/2/2014The food and service were impeccable. The The shrimp cocktail consisted of five fresh, meaty shrimp and the cod with risotto and kale was a delicate and delicious combination. The portion sizes were overly-generous and everything was presented beautifully. The service was fast and ftiendly. We returned for a second night and will definitely make this restaurant a mainstay whenever we visit Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 225 reviews are from the One Bellevue reviews archive.
- Restaurant std doesnt meet price $$AverageJoanDined on 4/26/2014They sat the two of us at 4-top that was set for 1. They didn't bring an extra setting until the food came. Appetizer came w- our meal. I ordered a soup and salad combination. My soup came after we were finished eating.Special Features:
- Great service!DaBayerDined on 4/17/2014We had a table for two overlooking the patio area and Bellevue Avenue. Our server was very friendly and accommodating. Our questions about the menu were resolved and she worked with the chef to indulge our preferences. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Perfectionvic1Dined on 3/29/2014Great food and service. Great place for romantic getawaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night ServiceChristineab147VIPDined on 2/22/2014Restaurant only had a few tables filled on Saturday night. Food was excellent and the presentation was excellent. I would recommend the lobster. Service was average. She didn't do anything wrong, but she didn't go above and beyond either. I enjoyed the bar scene much better. There was a jazz band and the Nutella crepes were delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I attended the "High Tea"ReviewDined on 2/22/2014I attended the "High Tea" - which was really not a high tea at all. It was an American attempt at it, though. White bread needs to melt in your mouth - these sandwiches were prepared ahead of time and the bread reflected that. Coddled cream was flavorless. There was no butter served. Scones were overcooked, but with good flavor. Teas were served from a box - not the wonderful loose tea in a teapot with a cozy on it that one would expect for $25 up - lovely flute of champagne, though. Please don't advertise a high tea unless it truly is. Very disappointed in One Bellevue for this faux pas.
- Valentine's DinnerCharlieWhiteDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to 1 Belleview for Valentine's dinner. The staff was friendly and the food was very good. Even though there was not a large crowd of people the wait for our meal was painfully slow. Once the food arrived it was very good we both had the Filet. All in all the restaurant it self was ok but in the future we will try somewhere else.Special Features:
- Amazing food and serviceBridge3Dined on 2/1/2014This is our second time here - this time we had a gift certificate which was good as One Bellevue is expensive but I can honestly state that the food and service are worth the money. The waiter, Michael, was helpful, attentive and pleasant. The busboy was great at keeping our water glasses filled. We got appetizers - octopus and tuna tartare (excellent), salads (huge) and the rack of lamb which was perfectly cooked. Every plate was beautifully presented. Portions were huge - my only regret - I ate it all! They were good with food allergies too. My husband has never had risotto (to die for!) in a restaurant but then we've never had such great cooked to order food - they made it so he could eat it. Really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining at One BellvuePammyDined on 1/17/2014The food at this restaurant is really good. We also had breakfast there. Unfortunately, the wine list was not that good. And when we ordered red wine, they had no red wine glasses. In fact, they had only one size wine glass. I would return there if necessary, but I wouldn't choose it on my own. The wine list is very important to us as well as the proper wine glass.Special Features:
- Dissappointing afternoon teaRockridgeDined on 12/24/2013Afternoon Tea: pluses nice display with strawberries and blueberries added to the plates. Finger sandwiches and chocolate truffles were good. Scones were a dissappointment.
- No Thanks on ThanksgivingTwoTurkeysDined on 11/28/2013Perhaps it was understaffed on Thanksgiving, but we felt under impressed after our dining experience Thanksgiving night. Our waitress was extremely unattentive. While the food was good, it took about an hour to arrive at our table with no apologies for the delay. And there was only one entree option: Turkey Dinner $24. While we appreciate finding a restaurant being open on Thanksgiving, still if you are going to be open, a restaurant of this caliber should have done much better. We tipped the bus boy $10 because he was the hardest working person and best spirited person in the restaurant IMO. We may go back, we may not. Wasn't a positively memorable experience.Special Features:
- Good meal, good service, goodnewportfanDined on 11/28/2013Good meal, good service, good value. Nice experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and attentiveilovefinediningVIPDined on 11/16/2013The Restaurant Manager, wait staff and food were all marvelous! The band was great and the bar crowd after dinner was lively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot, inconsistent foodPhantom309Dined on 11/10/2013Went for a sunday lunch. Garden Room is great, service was generally good (although they were flummoxed by a request for bread with the soup). Chowder and dessert wre extremely good. Burgers were pretty awful -- ordered medium, came out beyond well done, all dried out, on a stale roll. Not so good.
- Great food, terrible musicDuncanDined on 11/9/2013This restaurant is in the famous Viking Hotel. While the food was excellent, the background music was 70's and 80's, not fitting for such a place.
- It was just o.k., nothing memorableJMTrDined on 11/8/2013Dined on a busy Friday night. The music from the bar was so loud I had trouble conversing with my wife. The food was good, not great. I could tell our meal was hastily prepared by the way the food was "plopped" on the plate. The fall vegetable risotto appetizer was delicious. The pork short rib had good flavor, but was fatty. The roasted chicken was also very flavorful, though the outside was over-crisped, causing dryness on the inside. The sides were good but drowned in sauce. Desert was good. Portions were large. Service was outstanding. Our table was constantly tended to by every passing server. Our water glasses were never empty and our finished dishes were immediately cleared. Probably better to go on a slower night of the week.
- Restaurant weekblueDined on 11/7/2013Overall good experience - nice balance of options for Restaurant week pricing.Special Features:
- Not quite High TeaDowntonAddictDined on 9/1/2013The value was outstanding, plenty of food for 2 & the price was very reasonable. BUT, the tiered stand the finger sandwiches were served on was the only "high tea" element. I made the reservation for the historical experience & there was none: - modern music was playing. - I ordered Rooibos tea. The server brought me a black and a green tea bag to "steep together to make Rooibos"...? The black tea wasn't even high quality, I'm fairly certain it was Lipton. - the tea was served in common restaurant thick porcelain cups/pots. Reproduction China might have been nice. The Viking Hotel boasts it's Historical glory & High Tea is described as "oh so sophisticated...". It wasn't special at all. I would ONLY recommend this place for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Night at One BellevueKentDined on 8/2/2013We decided to have dinner at One Bellevue on our way to the Newport Jazz festival. Little did we know that the hotel had engaged a very loud Italian themed band to play full blast in a lounge area adjacent to the dining room. For those of us in a jazz and fine dining mode, this was a really depressing experience. The food was fantastic, thank god.Special Features:
- Excellent foodCbazoDined on 7/15/2013My husband and I dined at One Bellevue. Our waitress knew the wine menu and allowed us to sample a few wines so that we could decide what we would like with dinner. Our glasses were always full of water and our waitress brought extra bread out to us. We started with the fluke tacos for an appetizer - so delicious and the presentation was beautiful. My husband got the rack of lamb for dinner - he enjoyed it and I also liked it a lot (he let me taste!). The risotto was excellent as well. I got the lobster pasta dish and that was very delicious - the portion was large! I only ate a little over half of it. We ended dinner by splitting a creme brulee, which was very tasty and looked beatiful. It was an great meal and definitely worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great, but not this time.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2013One Bellevue should do whatever it takes to get Ryan back. He is an absolutely fantastic server - attentive without being overly friendly and extremely knowledgeable of the food and wines offered. Our server on this occasion had us sitting for almost an hour and one-half with only a single drink the whole time. We finally left without having eaten. Not at all what we were expecting from One Bellevue as our several dining experiences last year were superb.
- Great restaurantCathyDined on 6/29/2013We were staying at this hotel for our anniversary and looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate, but not too expensive. I found this while searching on the internet, had great star rating and prices. Didn't even realize it was in the hotel! Great food, excellent servers. Had breakfast there every morning and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell ShortJTTownDined on 5/22/2013Experience did not quite meet our expectations, but was still a good (not great) meal. Clam Chowder was the highlight.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant in a hotelGoodfoodVIPDined on 5/15/2013The food was great & the waiter Michael was terrific. We enjoyed everything we ordered The carrot-ginger soup was the best I've ever had !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2013One Bellevue restaurant in Newport RI lets one enjoy a classic dinner in a romantic and traditional setting inside the Viking Hotel. We celebrated my husband's and my daughter's boy friend's birthdays there with a delicious and beautifully presented dinner. The staff was all professionally and very nice. We enjoyed the experience very much! Thank you! gailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, service, ambiance excellentGuitars1Dined on 5/10/2013My wife and I loved this place. We came here on a visit to Newport last year, and loved it then. Came back again this year, and loved it even more. Best seafood chowder I've ever had, anywhere. But really, every dish was top-notch. And great ambiance - quite, tasteful, with attentive and perfectly-timed service. If we come to Newport nest year, we'll be sure to stop in here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerJorgeDined on 5/4/2013Had a great dinner. Person that seated us was super friendly, even gave us a tip on a beach place to go see. Waiter (Michael) was also very friendly. Suggested veal appetizer tat was awesome. The manager came by 2x to see if everything was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive for normal restaurant foFrankDined on 5/4/2013Service from the kitchen was slow and then the food was cold . Had a steak of the night which was a very thin slab of beef. Couldn't taste the beef.. Better restaurants in the area.
- We have been to One BellevueLouisDined on 4/27/2013We have been to One Bellevue several times over the past 4 years. We had a great meal once, the other times were mixed. The last dinner was good everything was okay, I ordered the bacon wrapped filet, It was cooked perfectly but the meat seemed tough for a filet so I was disappointed. The side dishes were good I had a glass of house melbec, it was $15 a glass seemed a little expensive and not a very good melbec.Special Features:
- LovelybethebooDined on 4/14/2013We had breakfast here each morning, we were never dissatisfied and always left full. Our dinners here were fantastic with the best service, no matter what time of day. Bar is great with the best service and drinks you could want. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.