Ondo's Spanish Tapas Bar
250 Steele Street
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Ondo's Spanish Tapas Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ondostapas.com/
- Phone: 3039756514
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 4pm-cl Monday - Friday: Saturday 5pm-cl: Happy Hour: 4pm-6.30pm Monday-Friday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Basque, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Curt Steinbecker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Half off Bottles of wine on Mondays 4-10! (excluding "by the glass" bottles)
Bottomless Sangria on Wednesday's 4-10!
A word from Ondo's Spanish Tapas Bar
Co-owners and Executive Chefs, Curt and Deicy Steinbecker opened Ondo's in the Fall of 2009 with a vision of creating Denver's finest tapas bar. Trained at "La Escuela de Cocina Luis Irizar" in the heart of picturesque San Sebastian, Spain, the Steinbecker's infuse every dish they create with extensive knowledge and passion for Spanish and Basque country cuisine. Deicy and Curt studied, lived and worked in San Sebastian and Barcelona for 5 years. During this time, they had various internships at some of the most renowned restaurants in the city, including places with three Michelin stars, learning from internationally renown Basque chefs like Juan Mari Arzak and Pedro Subijana.Continued
We invite you to come and experience a taste of Spain.
We invite you to come and experience a taste of Spain.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ondo's Spanish Tapas Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- We had a great evning at Ondo'sTammyDined on 12/31/2013We had a great evning at Ondo's on it's last night of being open - New Year's Eve. We got to talk to both owners Curt and Deicy Steinbecker that evening. We are sorry to see Ondo's closing it's doors.Special Features:
- Really fun place to go andJennDined on 12/30/2013Really fun place to go and eat with a group of friends.Special Features:
- It was awesome, as always.farmerdave532Dined on 12/27/2013It was awesome, as always. This was their last night at this location. We sure hope they find a new place and reopen soon !
- AuthenticBergonzDined on 12/24/2013Tapas at Ondo's are not only delicious but also you would feel you are eating in Spain. It is a shame they would be closing in 2014. We will miss it.Special Features:
- Had the Paella which thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Had the Paella which this is the first time I had it without any mussel or other seafood. Good taste but would be a lot better with the seafood.
- Yummy!OndoyumVIPDined on 12/13/2013We could not believe Ondo's has been open for 4 years, how come we have not heard of it before? Delicious food, excellent service and reasonable cost guarantee we'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...but coldGeorgeDined on 12/5/2013Everything about Ondo's was nice (we'll go back)....but it was cold. We had to wear our coats while we ate. Too bad because it detracted from the experienceSpecial Features:
- Hot tapas were all reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/5/2013Hot tapas were all really good... And happy hour prices made it a great bargainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little cozy gem!TonyDined on 12/2/2013Had great service! The server was fantastic and I appreciate the picture taking and the birthday dessert with candle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Family run restaurantgoodfoodfanDined on 12/2/2013We dined recently during happy hour There was a large selection of tapas at the bar at $2 a piece. In addition the waiter brought my wife's Gluten Free selections at the same price. The house red was good as well. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ondos November 30littleonionsDined on 11/30/2013Food was great. Only a few dishes the did not seem to do well (specifically the spanish tortilla, the shrimp in cognac sauce, and the jamon ibericco) and were rather expensive. The jamon ibericco should have been served at room temperature for better flavor, the shrimp was seemingly cooked first without the sauce and had an obvious disconnect, and the tortilla was breaded. I have never eaten a breaded spanish tortilla in Spain. It would be much richer and less heavy if it were unbreaded. Otherwise, service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tappas! Service wasMarkVIPDined on 11/23/2013Great Tappas! Service was awesome and the waiter really helped us with pairing our wine to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindTimHDined on 11/23/2013Wanted to find some Spanish food after a trip to Santa Fe. Found this via TripAdvisor and Westword and was amazed. We'll definately be back. Got to try the Happy Hour, that looks to be fun.Special Features:
- Just fairFoodieVIPDined on 11/20/2013Got there a bit before 6 - Happy Hour supposed to be until 6:30 with tapas at the bar. Maybe 6 total tapas (not kinds!) left, not enough at all. Would like to say those were amazing, but they were just average - tried the smoked trout and artichoke, deviled egg with shrimp and pepper, and potato and egg omelet - all served on a slice of baguette. Had high hopes for the sangria, tried both the white and red, and again it was just okay. Not horrible, but certainly not memorable and the glasses were filled with ice, making the drink watery as the minutes passed.
- A mini vacation to Espanaimask8rDined on 11/15/2013I had the great opportunity to live in Madrid for a year, visited Barcelona, Malaga, Grenada, La Coruna, and San Sebastian. The food served at Ondo's is authentic and very tasty. My only regret is we are so far from the sea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I consider tapasNewtoDenverDined on 11/13/2013Food was disappointing. Large menu, but everything we ordered was just bland. They stuck us in a corner with terrible lighting, I could barely see my food. Temperature in the restaurant was chilly. I would not go back or recommend this place.Special Features:
- Delicious food and fun atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2013Delicious food and fun atmosphere, but quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ondo's Never DisappointsJCinDenverVIPDined on 11/1/2013We shared several small plates and a bottle of wine-- everything was simply delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can always book a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2013The food is great and the service just right. My favorite parts are the free parking (in Cherry Creek!) in the back lot where there is always a space, no driving around and searching for an open spot on the street, and that I can always get a reservation or just walk in any night, any time, it's never full. Depenably consistent food. Its a very pleasant place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in Denver!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2013Great food and THE best red wine Sangria I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great night!JusteatitDined on 10/12/2013Wonderful food, great service. Always fun to spend time here! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Salvatore5VIPDined on 9/28/2013We have visited Ondo's many times and we love the Sangria and the pallea. The prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tortilla Espanola is superb.SpanishdancerDined on 9/27/2013Overall good experience. Some misses and some hits. Service friendly but a little uneven. Bread was slow coming out. Green olives looked like they came right out of a jar. Chorizo was just right. Manchego well presented but skimpy. Bread pudding a marvelous delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific experience. WaitCasaDined on 9/27/2013Terrific experience. Wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Great time!Special Features:
- TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013Our server was too overbearing. The food was good but not great. We've had a better experience at other Tapas restaurants.
- Variety and Qualityfarmerdave532Dined on 8/24/2013When we go out to eat, it's not to eat one remarkable main course, but to sample as many exciting tastes as we can manage. The 'tapas' orientation of Ondo's and the fact that we were dining with a couple of good friends that didn't mind sharing dishes allowed us to experience over a dozen different dishes during the evening as well as finish off the evening with their paella. All were an exciting experience and of excellent quality ! We heartily recommend Ondo's for a fun night out and a fun dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2013Our waitress was very knowledgable about the menu and food and made great suggestions for our group. The food was good and interesting. The staff was very accommodating and got us resettled inside when an evening storm interrupted our outdoor dining. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special neighborhood gem!NomoSweetsDined on 8/22/2013Wonderful for tapas--especially love their happy hour treats! Great little neighborhood gem and very nice, helpful wait staff. Can't wait to return and try new wine treats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paella niteMarkVIPDined on 8/17/2013I went for their paella special, it was delicious. It wasn't very crowded for a Saturday night, which surprised me since the food was excellent. I ate at the bar and the bartenders were very attentive.Special Features:
- Fun and deliciousKB10VIPDined on 8/17/2013If you want a fun evening with friends, Ondo's is the place. You order small tapas plates for sharing and we enjoyed everything we ordered. Everyone had a great time perusing the menu and making decisions about "my" choice. We even made decisions for a follow-up visit for dishes we didn't get to try this time. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat PaellaPhotogcamVIPDined on 8/16/2013This is the second Friday that my wife and I had the Weber grill paella. This time it was meat paella. We enjoyed the ambiance on the patio. We were treated superbly with both Chef Curt and our wait person Sara. It has always been enjoyable for us at Ondo's but we have really enjoyed the "Patio Paella." We planned ahead and arranged for two servings to take away. YUM! With the wonderful choice of music in the background, Ondo's is a romantic choice for dinner. Get out and enjoy the paella on the patio, or inside if you must, you will enjoy your evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flamingo night was a lot ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2013Flamingo night was a lot of fun the dancer was fantastic however our table was too close we could not talk when she was on. The serve was very slow especially with drinks. It is a nice little neighborhood spot the food is good-they just need to work on the above detailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas and FlamencoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2013We enjoyed our meal at Ondo's - they have an interesting array of tapas. We went there on a Wednesday night, to see the flamenco dancers and enjoy a meal. But the area where the dancers were is only visible from a small number of the tables, so I would not recommend going there if your goal is to see flamenco dancing.Special Features:
- We enjoyed Ondo's, particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013We enjoyed Ondo's, particularly because one of my favorite things to do is sample a lot of different things. That's what we did - we didn't finish everything we ordered, but had fun trying new things. Skip the Patatas Bravas (heavily fried potatoes), and we found the Mar y Tierra a bit on the fishy side, but otherwise we enjoyed what we ordered. The Padron peppers are a must and the croquettes (two different kinds) aren't bad. Oh and the rum cake is particularly good. We had a great time but won't come back again any time soon - a fun experience but wouldn't put it in the LOVE category and there are too many other great restaurants to try (or go back to) in Denver.Special Features:
- Paella on the GrillPhotogcamVIPDined on 8/2/2013Chef Curt did a fine thing by having the Paella on the grill weekends in August. We love the 'inside' Paella but the flavors from the Paella on the grill were even better. Smokey Paella flavor is simply amazing. The seafood Paella that we had on Friday, August 2nd, was creamier than expected, a little more like risotto. I really loved it this way but my wife prefers the normal drier texture. Julia was our server and she was great. Chef Curt also took a hand in table side duties as he was close by manning the grill. We had a great time and we have already made reservation for another grilled Paella session.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh, overallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013Our service was very good! Although the bartender didn't have the ingredients for our drink on hand he went out of his way to find them. The gentleman at the front was friendly and helpful. The food, overall, was good. I didn't think it was great, and for a restaurant that's a bit out of our way, we probably wouldn't dine there again. Beautiful secluded patio is great for summer, and their happy hour looks good.Special Features:
- The food was delicious! LoveSingramVIPDined on 7/26/2013The food was delicious! Love the happy hour bar where you can help yourself from a variety of yummy tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Tapas!MidModGalDined on 7/5/2013There are several restaurants that try small plates and call them tapas...Ondo's has authentic Spanish tapas that are full of flavor and originality. Highly recommend the Iberico ham with some bread and manchego. Excellent service and just a fun, off the eaten path tapas bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience was pleasantMarkoDined on 6/27/2013Our experience was pleasant and the staff seemed well trained. The food choices all sounded interesting and while not bad they were all quite bland, there was no zing, no spice.
- What a perfect night! Thanks, OndosForkEmDenverDined on 6/27/2013We had a wonderful evening out with good friends. It was a special night for us and Ondo's was the perfect setting. The red wine sangria was excellent, and we enjoyed many different vegetarian and pescatarian tapas. Our favorite were croquetas with spinach and pine nuts. The bruschetta was suprisingly good, and we also enjoyed the tuna with shrimp. The eggplant was not as flavorful as we expected, but we hardly noticed because the sangria and good food was steadily flowing. Perfect weather on a summer night in Colorado certainly lightened our mood and made our outdoor seating quite coveted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.