On The Verandah
1536 Franklin Road
Highlands, NC 28741Neighborhood:
Highlands / Sapphire
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
On The Verandah
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ontheverandah.com/
- Phone: 8285262338
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch (in-season): Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner Nightly: Starts at 6:00pm; Dugout Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For a truly memorable event, ask us about catering your private party, wedding reception, rehearsal dinner, business meeting, luncheon or dinner party. Select from a wide choice of unique dishes influenced by cuisines from around the world.
- Private Party Facilities: We have been serving our unique cuisine for years in Highlands' most scenic setting. Over those years we have hosted wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, anniversary celebrations, bridal luncheons, business seminars, class reunions and many other functions. Let us bring our years of experience in creative food, design and personal service to make this special occasion match your dreams. Enjoy the private use of the verandah dining room, the inside dining room or exclusive use of the entire restaurant. Select from a wide choice of unique dishes influenced by cuisines from around the world.
- Private Party Contact: Suzanne McDavid 8285262338
- Entertainment: Enjoy the music of Chad Reed on Friday and Saturday night.
A word from On The Verandah
..on the Verandah inspires with American Fusion Fine Dining in Highlands' most scenic setting overlooking Lake Sequoyah. Featuring a unique array of appetizer and entrée recipes from the world over - the fine cuisines of Asia, Europe and the Americas are represented. We use the freshest ingredients available, including locally-grown produce and fresh seafood daily. Menu items include chicken, fresh seafood, Char-Grilled Angus Beef and Chops, pasta and children's menu. After dinner, indulge in one of our many desserts, made in-house. Come sample a Highlands tradition - Sunday champagne brunch from 11am - 2pm. Stop by the Dugout Bar for a small plate, appetizer and a cocktail, beer or glass of wine! Relax with friends after work, before dinner and through the evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
On The Verandah - Best Restaurants in Highlands / Sapphire ›
On The Verandah reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (87)special occasion (66)romantic (57)fit for foodies (53)great for outdoor dining (51)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (36)great for brunch (25)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Monday in Octoberwtitus3Dined on 10/20/2014We happened to be celebrating the week in the Highlands for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary and mother's birthday. After last week's celebrations, we were looking for a nice place to spend some alone time with them. This was a perfect spot. The food preparation was excellent, plates were hot. The music was a bit loud at first, but after a while seemed to fade into the background.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKLive2EatDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant was OK. A little pricey for what we got... I had the filet which was very good, my husband got the duck which was just OK. Had some wine- $14 a glass was pretty steep but they had some cheaper glasses- maybe $10 was the cheapest. Overall thought the meal was too expensive for the quality of food. Cute spot but probably won't go again- rather try some other places in the same area.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentGoldilxDined on 10/17/2014We travel from Atlanta to Highlands just about every October..we were there celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary this year. We are never disappointed and ALWAYS have excellent service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant continues to impress me year after year. Their friendly service, delicious food and the ambiance and view are the best Highlands has to offer. It is a nice comfy casual, yet refined place that accommodates all guests to ensure they enjoy the best experience.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014On The Veranda is a must on our list every time we visit Highlands...and once again we had a wonderful dinner. The lobster appetizer was excellent and the trout delicious! All elements - excellent food, great service, beautiful view of lake, lighting after dark, - combine to deliver a most enjoyable evening. OTV remains a must on our "Highlands" list and we can't wait to return. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchGourmetettesVIPDined on 10/5/2014We stopped here for brunch during our travels and were surprised at the high cost. However, the cost included a glass of Mimosa or Kir and champagne cocktail, as well as a salad bar and dessert. My husband liked his Kir, I found the Mimosa too tart and saw that I could have had only champagne had the wait person offered. My husband was disappointed in his oyster entree as it was not what he expected with the other fish mixed in. My eggs creole were good over spicy crabcakes. We really enjoyed the wild rice salad from the salad bar, as that was the most memorable. For dessert, we enjoyed the small bite sized apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream and the dark chocolate cake. We enjoyed our table by the river/lake.Special Features:
- sunday brunch with a viewabbylikestoeatDined on 10/5/2014this is a great place in highlands for sunday brunch especially if you are seated on porch overlooking lake sequoyah! brunch includes entree (fabulous choices), great salad bar, choice of soup and complimentary 'brunchy' cocktail. brunch starts at 11am but unfortunately your complimentary cocktail cannot be served until after 12 noon according to nc law. this means that if you start early you either drink water and wait til the bewitching hour or enjoy a complimentary coffee/tea beverage instead.Special Features:
- AmazingWalhallacoupleDined on 10/4/2014We had never been here but can guarantee you that we will return. The atmosphere was perfect, food excellent but most of all our server,Sandy was the greates. She not only was great server but made our dining experience that much more special. You must eat here and enjoy the great experienceSpecial Features:
- Quiet romantic dinnerLuvdiningDined on 10/3/2014Loved the Ambiance. Had a piano player there that was awesome and made it very special. The wine selection was great and our waitress was able to select a nice bottle for us. They had some nice specials. We choose the trout and was fabulous. We ordered a few appetizers along with 1 entrée to split because that was a lot of food. We didn't much care for an added charge just because we split an entrée...really? I probably should have just told them to give me an extra plate and did it my self.Special Features:
- Very goodAtlantanDined on 9/27/2014First timers and we would return. Crowd dressed nice especially for the mountains. Nice menu - server was knowledgeable about each dish. She was good but busy and I did feel like she hurried us a bit but it wasn't that big a deal. Everyone was happy with their meals.
- Delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We went to On the Verandah for our girls weekend dinner and it was delicious! The service was the best was received all weekend! I highly recommend for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014great night -we will go again. we had good food and great service. we went on a very busy nite and still got great serviceSpecial Features:
- Great experienceLteoDined on 9/27/2014We have eaten here many times, and have always enjoyed the ambience, friendliness of the staff, and the exceptional freshness and quality of the food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantMulemanDined on 9/25/2014We eat at On The Verandah every time we are in Highlands. The atmosphere, food, and staff are all amazing. I cannot recommend OTV enough for those who are looking for a true upscale dining experience.Special Features:
- not worth it.PeteDined on 9/25/2014The food was uninspiring and not at all worth the very high prices charged. Therefore I cannot recommend this restaurant to anyone unless you just don't care.Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had the most incredible meal at On the Verandah & the service was fabulous. The restaurant sits on the most romantically beautiful lake & we also enjoyed the live entertainment. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchDragonDined on 9/21/2014The food was very good (except soup was barely warm). The food was excellently seasoned and nicely presented. We would definitely go back again. Thank you for a tasty brunch.Special Features:
- Wow wow wowlanier2VIPDined on 9/13/2014The best wow in highlands. Food scenery service. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Townes was our waiter and he was fabulous!!! He made our evening very specialSpecial Features:
- Top Notch!gojabiDined on 8/29/2014Great view and food to match. Our server provided excellent guidance regarding both food and wine. We will definitely return next time we visit Highlands.Special Features:
- vanillagorillaDined on 8/29/2014We were greeted professionally as we walked into the restaurant. The service was good, and the waiter was familiar with the menu and the specials. The quality of the food was exceptional. The view was to die for. As was the case with most of the dinners we had while visiting Highlands, there was a little something missing. It was as if you had a beautiful wedding cake and the bride and groom were missing from the top. You are almost there.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Absolutely great find. My husband and I first time and would go back again and recommend. Don't let the menu fool you. There nightly specials are extensive and awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, great food.HHIslanderDined on 8/27/2014Dined on the verandah in the early evening as the sunlight sparkled on the lake. Very pretty view, accompanied by a good jazzy singer and pianist. Ordered the braised beef ribs special, which was excellent. One could taste every minute of the many hours that must have gone into cooking the dish. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Bad wineSteveWDined on 8/26/2014Surprisingly we were served two glasses of rose wine that were obviously turning to sherry - and therefore past their "useful lives". The waiter seemed surprised and I had to ask him to take them back and bring us other wine. He should have immediately offered. But overall he was really excellent and I won't hold the wine incident against him or the restaurant. The food, on the other hand, was excellent and surpassed our expectations.Special Features:
- Birthday Fit For a KinggemfoundDined on 8/23/2014It was my sweetheart's birthday, and I wanted the restaurant to be special. We had never tried OTV, so I was hopeful that everything would turn out positive. It was everything we look for in fine dining. We were seated out on the veranda overlooking the lake, just as I had requested. Our server came over immediately and suggested her favorite red wine. She was right on the mark. We ordered the rainbow trout, and it was wonderfully prepared and delicious. We were most impressed with On the Verandah, and will definitely return. I am very grateful for our server and chef for making this evening so special.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencepfitzDined on 8/23/2014Picked this place from reviews on TripAdvisor. Great choice Food, service and ambience were exceptional. Great birthday evening!Special Features:
- 2knoxfoodloversDined on 8/23/2014Had a great dinner here. I had the trout with pecan brown butter and my wife had the salmon special. Both were delicious! The service from Janelle was excellent. The wine list was large and they were recently recognized by wine spectator for their wine list. Janelle was very helpful with the food and wine pairing. We were seating on the screened verandah overlooking sequoyah lake. The setting was romantic and not too loud. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite ReturnBeckyDined on 8/20/2014We were very pleased with the food and service at The Verandah. Service was prompt, there was a good variety of food on the menu and the wine selections were very good and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner, delicious food.ShelbeeVIPDined on 8/17/2014A very good experience once again. Excellent server, JJ. The special, Tile Fish was outstanding. Grouper special was ok. Excellent duck and excellent filet. Blue Point oysters were fresh and very flavorful. Ham and split pea soup was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe CanniversarymealDined on 8/16/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. We eat at Highlands, driving from Cashiers. This was an excellent meal and definitely a good spot in an area that has very good restaurant options.Special Features:
- On the Verandah is always good!golfchickDined on 8/15/2014We look forward to On the Verandah each time we come to Highlands and make it a regular stop. A table on the screened porch overlooking the lake is the prime spot and very pleasant. You can always count on a delicious meal and an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed to be rushedHuntsvilledinerDined on 8/15/2014Made our reservation 2 weeks in advance. Ordered nice bottle of wine. Server asked 4 times during our appetizer to take our entree order. When we told him we were having a leisurely, celebration dinner with several courses, he said a party of 11 was coming in an hour and would need our table. I complained to hostess who moved large party to another area but gave no apology. Server brought our check before we were finished. Will not go there again. Food is delicious and view is great, but it is obvious they care too much about flipping tables several times a night.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable experienceNunzioDined on 8/13/2014Early evening dinner on the screened porch overlooking the lake. Service and food was very good. Lobster and grouper dishes were both perfectly prepared and flavored exceptionally. Always a good meal On the Verandah!!Special Features:
- ChevyDined on 8/11/2014Good food and good service. Very nice place for a couple or group of friends. The fish dishes were great. Also nice piano music durning dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerFloridaTravelerDined on 8/8/2014This was our 17th wedding anniversary. We had a wonderful meal on the veranda. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentDeliciousDined on 8/8/2014We celebrate our anniversary here every year as this was where we had our 1st date. We have not been dissapointment once in 7 years...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CldatlNYVisitorDined on 8/5/2014Loved On the Verandah!!! Great food and service. But - nothing beats the view if you have a table on the verandah; idyllic!!Special Features:
- A Special Evening; Excellent FoodMikeDined on 8/1/2014Our waiter Joe made the evening special! Based on reviews here and on Trip Advisor we requested a table on the veranda with a view of the lake. Andrew and his staff provided us the perfect table. Every bite was succulent; from the small plate (calamari), the warm spinach salad (to die for), and the dinner plates (lobster picante and braised short ribs) to desert (Mississippi mud pie). Joe attended to our every need with perfect timing and five star service. OTV made this special evening perfect! By the way, the piano bar and drinks were awesome. I especially enjoyed "The New Fasioned" and my wife loved the "Lemon Basil" martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good againAlwayshonestVIPDined on 8/1/2014We often choose On the Verandah for a special ocasion. This week we took my 13 and 17 yr old niece and nephew visiting. Great meal, although it was probably waisted on the 13 year old. My 17 year old is more adventurous and he appreciated the menu and the setting. We ordered the gumbo and shrimp with salsa appetizers - Yum! Both were great. For dinner the trout, New York strip, Wreck fish specail, and braised short ribs - all delicious. I think they could have suggested the childrens menu for the 13 year old who ordered the steak. The one disappointment was that the hostess suggested that I call instead of using Open Table for reservations if I wanted seating On the Verandah with view. Were seated inside near a window - still nice.Special Features:
- RevisitCarocookDined on 7/30/2014Having visited the restaurant each time I have been in Highlands which has been for the entire time the restaurant has been open this was the best food I have had The porch setting is so lovely and the wait staff were attentive I enjoyed the halibut crusted with light horseradishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.