On The Square
115 East St. James Street
Tarboro, NC 27886Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
On The Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.onthesquarenc.com/
- Phone: 2528238268
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Ribustello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering of every kind. From box lunches to weddings, we are happy and able to provide food and wine for your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining area seats 38 people comfortably. It is available any night of the week. On Sunday-Wednesday, the minimum is $1500 ++, and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, the minimum is $2000 ++. Of course, we also cater off-premise so please contact us for more information if you already have a space in mind.
- Private Party Contact: Frances Liverman 2528238268
A word from On The Square
Located in Historic Downtown Tarboro, one of the oldest towns in North Carolina, On the Square Restaurant offers seasonal, sustainable ingredients that are celebrated throughout the ever-changing menu. Open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and for lunch on Monday through Friday, we are as proud of our food and comfortable atmosphere as we are of our eclectic and value-driven wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
On The Square - Best Restaurants in Tarboro ›
On The Square reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (79)notable wine list (77)neighborhood gem (70)romantic (42)great for lunch (33)good for groups (31)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014I loved everything about our night at On the Square! The service and the food were fabulous! So many wonderful dishes to choose from! can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BibbsDined on 9/19/2014Dinner was delicious! My family and I had never been to the restaurant before and now we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Little gemRobertMDined on 9/19/2014A small town with a big heart and long history...the food here is first rate an the owners care about every aspect of the operation. Lunch fare is great and I would suggest dinner reservations. A lively atmosphere an very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On th SquarenotafoodcriticDined on 9/17/2014On the Square is a great place to eat. Amazing food, a great wine selection for those who enjoy wine, and good service. Overall a top notch place to visit for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the drivetravelgirlDined on 9/13/2014This gem of a restaurant is hidden away in Tarboro and is worth the drive from ANYWHERE! The town is also cool. this couple gets it with food and wine!Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant ever!HelenDined on 9/12/2014On the Square is just the best. I go there as often as I can, and have never ordered anything that as not delicious. Because the menu changes every week, the element of surprise is part of its wonderful dining experience. The service is always outstanding, and the changing wine recommendations are reliable. Even though the menu changes, there are some items that appear fairly regularly and should not be missed. Some of my personal favorites: the grilled romaine salad, the unforgettable calamari, and the roasted oysters. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greenvilevisitorsDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food...nice ambiance. Wait staff was great. Wonderful experience. Will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Special DinnerLuv2dineoutDined on 9/6/2014Food was extremely delicious. Nice atmosphere. Service was somewhat slow-but overall it was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- A Lovely DinnercatwomanDined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing as always. Service was exquisite and the atmosphere was delightful as usual. The fresh flowers are a nice tough of decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date with pretty lady!SweetdateDined on 9/5/2014It is a wonderful place to take that special someone that you want to treat to something special!Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 9/4/2014Great dining experience. Took two friends who had not been there and they loved it as well. I always get the Ginger Margarita. Have never had a bad experience. One of my friends ordered the salmon and said it was the best meal she had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014A great place for my birthday dinner. Missed Iney. The food was perfect and drinks were even better. It is nice to have such a great place to eat so close to Rocky Mount. Just wish it were in Rocky Mount. My favorite place to celebrate any thing!Special Features:
- SilverFoxDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating a birthday and an anniversary, and everyone enjoyed the food and service. Some of the portions were quite small, and there were too few appetizers to choose from. I do think a salad should come with entrees in this price range and not be a la carte. The food is excellent, but very expensive, due to the fact that everything is extra. Don't care for the lack of a decent starch in the meal-mashed or baked potato should be an offering, instead of string fried,particularly sine the portions are small.Special Features:
- Styrofoam cupsbirthday70Dined on 8/29/2014I was so disappointed to see the changes at this venue for lunch - order at the counter - pay in advance and have to return to counter if you want to add anything - and the worst styrofoam cups and self serve beverages. I took my mother there for a special lunch - food was very good but for elderly the changes are so restrictive especially if like my mom she cannot stand for a long time or uses a cane,walker etc. how awesome it would have been to have had a choice to sit in a dining area with service - or - self serve in the front. This is a great evening venue but for special lunches not at all what I expected.Special Features:
- Former localglendoraDined on 8/28/2014Love this place...so much that we came on a trip back south even though we no longer live here. Well thought out and prepared meals and great (and inexpensive wines). Would recommend highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Spot in Tarboroeppeters252Dined on 8/22/2014We love On the Square, it is perfect for birthdays, celebrations, or a special date night out. The service is top notch and the food is always consistent. The specials are always the way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better a yearagosherDined on 8/22/2014Except for one appetizer none of our (party of five) meals were outstanding. Still great service and a nice place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!localwholovesanightoutDined on 8/16/2014The food is wonderful, the service was spendid and the drinks are fantastic! The seafood dishes are my favorite!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was delicious; service was great loved the atmosphere, will attend again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhetyoDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic food! Worth the drive from Lake Gaston. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- above and beyondVisitorDined on 8/14/2014This little restaurant is a real treasure in a charming eastern Carolina town. The menu is full of interesting selections. Lots of fish and seafood items beautifully crafted. The wine offerings are excellent and guidance is expert and friendly. The food, wine, service, ambience, value is worthy of a large metro area. Loved everything about our experience.Special Features:
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Great dining experience. Happy it was recommended to me. My wife and I had a very nice evening celebrating her birthday here.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 8/9/2014We had our first experience there for my dad's birthday. He said he had the best ribeye of his life. It was a definite success! Everyone was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.OutofTownerDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant was somewhat noisy, but the food was delicious with good service. Nice town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealHopeDined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious, from salad to dessert. Shrimp and grits perfect as always. Always something new to try on the menu. The service was a little slower than usual.Special Features:
- ExcellentShellsDined on 8/8/2014Great food, great wine! A bit noisy, but overall wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHorsecrazyfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Fabulous food! Chef is incredibly accommodating to making adjustments for gluten free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in a small town!BarbaraDined on 8/1/2014Love this restaurant! Always a different menu and always delicious! Try the ginger margarita. This last visit I had the sea bass and it was perfect.Special Features:
- I love OTSbetcrewsNCDined on 7/31/2014Best eatery in the Tri county area. Great Service, Amazing food, and has a romantic feel with the table clothes and fresh flowers on each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD Gourmet!!!food4thoughtDined on 7/29/2014I have eaten at On The Square many times for lunch and dinner...I have never been disappointed with the quality of the food, staff and ambiance. This restaurant could be transplanted in any large city in the country and be very successful...So happy we have this wonderful eatery close to our residence.Special Features:
- Worth the trip to Tarboro!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The meal was great, and we always enjoy browsing in their wine shop and bringing a couple of extra bottles home. Was thrilled to see they are selling a Fair Trade certified wine! I was disappointed that the Sea Bass was already "sold out" at 7:30 Saturday night, and blue fish was substituted. The salad was awesome-peaches, blueberries, candied walnuts and feta on arugula.Special Features:
- OTS fansaladluvrVIPDined on 7/26/2014Another fine meal enjoyed among friends at OTS! We always begin our meal here with their tender calamari which is served with a honey and red pepper-type glaze. Delicious and all but licked the plate clean! The salads offered were lovely, however, the watermelon salad with goat cheese could have been sweeter and served in bite size pieces. The entrees are always impressive - something for everyone - be it fish, shellfish, poultry, beef, pork, pasta, etc. OTS is always gracious enough to omit certain food items if there are "food issues" which is always helpful for us. We each enjoyed different entrees cooked to perfection with very nice presentation. The strawberry shortcake is a must for dessert. The chocolate molten cake a close second!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfultaxgeekDined on 7/26/2014Long time lover of On the Square. Food and wine always superb. I'd suggest any thing on the menu. They try to use seasonal fruits and veggies which are always nice! We have taken our son for years but I did not check kid friendly bc this is not for families looking for chicken nuggets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- juppeats4starjuppeatsVIPDined on 7/25/2014Took 3 guests to OTS. Been there before, and never disappointed. We started with their top notch calamari. Always a treat. Two of then had the peach, pecan, blue cheese, arugula salad. Really tasty combination and well dressed, although my guest felt peach pieces were too small. Two of us also had the cucumber soup. Excellent summertime appetizer, but richer than you'd expect. Jambalaya was a hit, as was the pasta dish. Enjoyed great wine from their wine shop, but they do need to find a way to more rapidly chill their whites.Special Features:
- Repeat customerGREATDined on 7/24/2014One of the very special evenings my family every experienced...and in Tarboro, N.C. Worth the trip! Already booked for Christmas family dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderful!roweboatDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I celebrated our29th wedding anniversary at On the Square. Our food was delicious! I had risotto and my husband had pork tenderloins. Our wine was superb and we also indulged in the peach cobbler for dessert. We have dined at Open Square several times. We have to drive about 50 miles to get there but it is definitely worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise StarHappychanceDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I were on our way from far southwest Florida to a family reunion in Virginia. We love to get off the Interstates and explore smaller cities and towns. Tarboro, NC, is a fine small city, with--surprise--a top-class restaurant. On the Square is charming with brick interior walls, beautiful old wooden flooring, and a superb wine selection. Prices are reasonable, especially to those used to the customary prices in the large cities of the northeast. The restaurant had several large groups, so we didn't get to talk to the sommelier. But the wine choices made on our own were better than satisfactory, and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- a class actilovebennyhillDined on 7/12/2014All of us agreed we had a great overall dining experience. Where else ( in these parts) can you walk into a chilled wine room to pick out a great wine from a great selection to enjoy with your meal? Personally, however, I will say that my clams were a bit overcooked and too salty ... but my salad was fantastic as was everything else I ever ate there before ... and everyone else in our party loved everything. Overall, "All thumbs up" for "On the Square".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripWearefoodiesDined on 7/12/2014Our dinner group of 10, took a road trip from Wake Forest just to eat here. The trip was definitely worth the delightful meal. The service was attentive and professional. The appetizers were amazing. Almost everyone had the grilled romain salad. The clams were tender and delicious, but even better was the table bread soaked in the clam broth. There was no conversation once the main dishes were served other than the murmurs of delight in our dinner selections, no regrets. We all saved what little room was left for dessert and again, were not disappointed. A very memorable meal all around and well worth the drive.Special Features:
- Fantastic tester auntDrTooth76Dined on 7/12/2014Our dining experience at On The Square was fantastic on all levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.