On The Square
115 East St. James Street
Tarboro, NC 27886Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
On The Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.onthesquarenc.com/
- Phone: (252) 823-8268
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen Ribustello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering of every kind. From box lunches to weddings, we are happy and able to provide food and wine for your special event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining area seats 38 people comfortably. It is available any night of the week. On Sunday-Wednesday, the minimum is $1500 ++, and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, the minimum is $2000 ++. Of course, we also cater off-premise so please contact us for more information if you already have a space in mind.
- Private Party Contact: Frances Liverman 2528238268
A word from On The Square
Located in Historic Downtown Tarboro, one of the oldest towns in North Carolina, On the Square Restaurant offers seasonal, sustainable ingredients that are celebrated throughout the ever-changing menu. Open for dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and for lunch on Monday through Friday, we are as proud of our food and comfortable atmosphere as we are of our eclectic and value-driven wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
On The Square - Best Restaurants in Tarboro ›
On The Square reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (89)notable wine list (83)neighborhood gem (83)special occasion (80)romantic (46)good for groups (37)great for lunch (35)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Evening Out FridayTheNECKDined on 11/14/2014The food was excellent. Neither my husband or I could eat the oyster bread pudding. Wish you could offer a small salad at 1/2 the price to make the meal more affordable. We decided not to order salads when we return as it ran our bill up so high. Love the pan seared fish... Toasted on the outer edges.. Spinach was wonderful! Our bill was $87 plus tip...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ziggy ZalzneckZiggyDined on 11/13/2014Great place to go. Food always outstanding. Calamari is off the charts. Service great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience however...PoorSeatingChoiceDined on 11/8/2014I was joined by my older brother & mother who was celebrating her 63rd birthday. We're all Black. We made reservations for 9pm and arrived shortly before. The restaurant was at half-capacity. When we arrived, the hostess greeted us & escorted us to an open booth near the drink fountain. Realizing the amount of traffic for that area, I asked if we could have a different table. She then escorted us to the rear of the building in the table furthest in the back. Though I don't think it was malicious, there is something historically wrong with putting African Americans in the "back" of the restaurant. I have no complaints about the food but my mother was somewhat upset by the insensitive seating given there were so many other available options.Special Features:
- DinnerPaulDined on 11/1/2014Once again food was as good as it gets. Service stunning. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Great Dinner after a Long DayBethDined on 11/1/2014My mother and daughter and I visited after driving 3 hours and a day at Sylvan Heights Bird Park. Dinner was fabulous- lots of choices for a very wide range of preferences. They let us split a salad between two which was perfect. Desserts were really nice and coffee was great. Atmosphere was very nice -right amount of light, very clean and decorations tastelful, not cluttered. Music was sublime. Service was good. The only thing that I missed was an engaged wait staff. They were young and maybe aloof is hip, but we always enjoy interacting with our servers. However, everything was served well and politely. It was a perfect place to unwind and recall the day together.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantRoseDined on 10/31/2014If you're ever in Tarboro, North Carolina, this is the place to go! Great food, wonderful personnel and a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauroDined on 10/31/2014Food and services were good. I will improve the lightingSpecial Features:
- Great Meal!mangiarabeneDined on 10/31/2014Definitely worth the trip to Tarboro! Great wine list... seasonal ingredients treated with the utmost care in preparation and presentations. Don't miss a chance to check OTS out!Special Features:
- Always A GemFoodieTwoVIPDined on 10/30/2014Tarboro is a lucky place to have such a wonderful restaurant in its small confines! We come as often as we can to enjoy great food and good people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be Back!GvilleGurlDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our first dining experience at On The Square. We started off sharing the boiled peanut and bacon chowder. Thick and flavorful and we don't usually even like boiled peanuts. He ordered the petit filet and I had the Chicken Scallopine. He finished his off but I had enough left over to take home for another meal! We finished with the carrot cake for dessert. They remembered it was his birthday and brought it out with a candle and Happy Birthday written in chocolate sauce on the plate. Service was great - fast and friendly! We are going to watch the weekly menu and definitely will be going back! P.S. Enjoyed the fresh flowers on the table too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cuisineMilligan1Dined on 10/25/2014Hard not to love the food. Equal to some of the best restaurants that I've enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place in downtownlhg95Dined on 10/24/2014This is a nice place in downtown Tarboro. The ambiance was very nice; it was more appropriate for an adult dinner. My expectations regarding food were a little higher considering all the excellent reviews in the eastern NC area. Food was good, but nothing really sophisticated. There menu changes every other week. I can standout that the butternut squash soup was excellent!! Also, had a Versailles drink which was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KittyKittyDined on 10/17/2014We always enjoy our dinners at On The Square. It is all delicious!!Special Features:
- Different and Outstanding!MyrtleBeachBumVIPDined on 10/11/2014Terrific menu, great food and service. We were 30 minutes early and were seated immediately. We shared a bowl of Boiled Peanut and Bacon Chowder to see what it would be like. Unbelievably delicious. Got to get the recipe. Also shared a Fried Green Tomatoe with jalapeño sauce as an appetizer. Also very good. We had separate entrees before an amazing Carrot Cake desert. The house Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir were outstanding and fairly priced! The knowledgable sommelier answered my question about a previous Pinot. Turned out to be Bennett Lane. We added a separate bottle to take back to North Myrtle Beach! Great evening. Highest recommendations!Special Features:
- What A Menu!CosmoQueenVIPDined on 10/11/2014We always enjoy dining at On the Square but our last visit was outstanding. Many of our all-time favs were on the menu: Boiled Peanut and Bacon Chowder, Grilled Romaine Salad, Shrimp and Grits, two excellent grilled fish dishes and shellfish. However, something we had not seen before caught our attention...Fresh-made Fettuccine with Pork Belly...DIVINE! The pasta was perfectly cooked (of course) with a rich, creamy sauce and a copious amount of pork belly...oh, my! After chowder, calamari, salad and pasta, we didn't make it to dessert but if we had...Strawberry Shortcake with a savory pastry would have been the choice. And, let's not forget that the BEST Cosmos ANYWHERE come from the bar and the wine selection is outstanding. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoneymoonersDined on 10/11/2014We celebrated our 27th Wedding Anniversary there on Sat. night. From the time we walked in and were welcomed, we enjoyed the whole experience. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, and very attentive. The food was superb...wish we could have had room for desserts! It was our first visit but we will definitely go back. We sat up at the front window and thoroughly enjoyed watching all the customers come in and the prompt attention each was given. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Everyone make you feel special and the food makes my tummy feel special! Thank you for having such great talent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently superbBuddyDined on 10/9/2014For twelve years, On the Square Restaurant in Tarboro has been our favorite for fine dining. They started out as a wine bar offering tasting plates and now have a full bar and extensive menu. We usually split an appetizer, select a good bottle of pinot grigio or savignon blanc and order from their specials. We are very partial to the chef's skills at cooking the fresh fish choices. On the Square has brought a lot of attention to our little historic town and we wish them continued success for the next 12, 24, 36 . . . years.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014On the square is my favorite place to eat and I always chose it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great desserts..butKurtKDined on 10/2/2014We will definitely go back - but the ribeye steak dinner was a tougher than expected (not enough ot 'send it back', but 'just not excellent'); the amberjack fish was very good (would order again, but not 1st choice next opportunity); On-The-Square saved the evening's dining experience with superior/excellent creme brulee and carrot cake desserts.Special Features:
- Fine Dining2southernfoodiesDined on 9/27/2014I loved everything about our night at On the Square! The service and the food were fabulous! So many wonderful dishes to choose from! can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BibbsDined on 9/19/2014Dinner was delicious! My family and I had never been to the restaurant before and now we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Little gemRobertMDined on 9/19/2014A small town with a big heart and long history...the food here is first rate an the owners care about every aspect of the operation. Lunch fare is great and I would suggest dinner reservations. A lively atmosphere an very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On th SquarenotafoodcriticDined on 9/17/2014On the Square is a great place to eat. Amazing food, a great wine selection for those who enjoy wine, and good service. Overall a top notch place to visit for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the drivetravelgirlDined on 9/13/2014This gem of a restaurant is hidden away in Tarboro and is worth the drive from ANYWHERE! The town is also cool. this couple gets it with food and wine!Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant ever!HelenDined on 9/12/2014On the Square is just the best. I go there as often as I can, and have never ordered anything that as not delicious. Because the menu changes every week, the element of surprise is part of its wonderful dining experience. The service is always outstanding, and the changing wine recommendations are reliable. Even though the menu changes, there are some items that appear fairly regularly and should not be missed. Some of my personal favorites: the grilled romaine salad, the unforgettable calamari, and the roasted oysters. YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greenvilevisitorsDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food...nice ambiance. Wait staff was great. Wonderful experience. Will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Special DinnerLuv2dineoutDined on 9/6/2014Food was extremely delicious. Nice atmosphere. Service was somewhat slow-but overall it was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- A Lovely DinnercatwomanDined on 9/6/2014The food was amazing as always. Service was exquisite and the atmosphere was delightful as usual. The fresh flowers are a nice tough of decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date with pretty lady!SweetdateDined on 9/5/2014It is a wonderful place to take that special someone that you want to treat to something special!Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 9/4/2014Great dining experience. Took two friends who had not been there and they loved it as well. I always get the Ginger Margarita. Have never had a bad experience. One of my friends ordered the salmon and said it was the best meal she had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014A great place for my birthday dinner. Missed Iney. The food was perfect and drinks were even better. It is nice to have such a great place to eat so close to Rocky Mount. Just wish it were in Rocky Mount. My favorite place to celebrate any thing!Special Features:
- SilverFoxDined on 8/30/2014We were celebrating a birthday and an anniversary, and everyone enjoyed the food and service. Some of the portions were quite small, and there were too few appetizers to choose from. I do think a salad should come with entrees in this price range and not be a la carte. The food is excellent, but very expensive, due to the fact that everything is extra. Don't care for the lack of a decent starch in the meal-mashed or baked potato should be an offering, instead of string fried,particularly sine the portions are small.Special Features:
- Styrofoam cupsbirthday70Dined on 8/29/2014I was so disappointed to see the changes at this venue for lunch - order at the counter - pay in advance and have to return to counter if you want to add anything - and the worst styrofoam cups and self serve beverages. I took my mother there for a special lunch - food was very good but for elderly the changes are so restrictive especially if like my mom she cannot stand for a long time or uses a cane,walker etc. how awesome it would have been to have had a choice to sit in a dining area with service - or - self serve in the front. This is a great evening venue but for special lunches not at all what I expected.Special Features:
- Former localglendoraVIPDined on 8/28/2014Love this place...so much that we came on a trip back south even though we no longer live here. Well thought out and prepared meals and great (and inexpensive wines). Would recommend highlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Spot in Tarboroeppeters252Dined on 8/22/2014We love On the Square, it is perfect for birthdays, celebrations, or a special date night out. The service is top notch and the food is always consistent. The specials are always the way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better a yearagosherDined on 8/22/2014Except for one appetizer none of our (party of five) meals were outstanding. Still great service and a nice place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!localwholovesanightoutDined on 8/16/2014The food is wonderful, the service was spendid and the drinks are fantastic! The seafood dishes are my favorite!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was delicious; service was great loved the atmosphere, will attend again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhetyoDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic food! Worth the drive from Lake Gaston. Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.