On The Marsh Bistro
46 Western Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04043Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
On The Marsh Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onthemarsh.com/
- Phone: 2079672299x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey A. Savage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: On the Marsh Bistro offers private areas both downstairs and upstairs in the converted Barn circa 1800 for Private Events, Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners, Corporate Off Site Meetings, Wine Dinners, Bridal Showers etc.
- Private Party Contact: Alexandra Hennedy 2079672299x
- Entertainment: Live Piano on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Special Events:
Weds. Prix Fixe Menu
Gift Certificates Available.
- Cross Street: Route 9
- Public Transit: On the Marsh Bistro is a destination restaurant and can offer recommended taxi service in the local area serving the Hotels and Inns.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: On the Marsh Bistro has private parking on its three acre grounds for 200 cars, guests only. Valet Service is offered upon request three weeks prior to the event.
A word from On The Marsh Bistro
On the Marsh Bistro resides in a converted barn and farmhouse circa 1800 on 3 acres of plantings alongside a tidal salt marsh. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, James Beard Presenter 2011, NECN Platinum Plate, Voted Most Romantic and one of the top ten restaurants in Maine. Great for European style Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners and Corporate Meetings. For the Adventuresome, try the table in the kitchen: bright lights, dirty dishes passing by and a peek behind the scenes of culinary skills at its best. Or try The Owner's Table where Exec. Chef Jeffrey A. Savage will create a menu especially for you paired with Wine. Requires one month notice. For our most romantic settin, request Table #16 and be tucked away with your loved one. You are invited to dine in a captivating interior with Antiques, Collectibles and Art, all available for purchase. Menu changes weekly. "It is around the table that friends and family best understand the warmth of being together..." Denise Rubin, ProprietressContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
On The Marsh Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
On The Marsh Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (73)special occasion (71)fit for foodies (48)scenic view (43)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Delightful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014We ate here on our first night's stay in Maine and it was so special. The waitstaff treated us royally and the food was simply delicious. When in the Kennebunk area again, we wouldn't hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014We went early on a holiday weekend.Food selection good but seemed a bit limited but we were assured that the menu changed regularly. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- disappointingdla911VIPDined on 10/12/2014It has been 5 years since we have been to On The Marsh. The same issue remains since we were last there. They talk the talk on the menu but do not walk the walk in the kitchen. Foods do not work well together on the plate, such as roast duck legs and a beef hash. Even vegetables were well described but did not work, beets with infused garlic were merely beets with garlic pieces. All in all, we will not be going back anytime soon, especially after a $500 bill for dinner.Special Features:
- Notre restaurant favori à KPTDeniseGilles780VIPDined on 10/11/2014Notre 10ième visite était encore impeccable. Service discret et attentionné, nourriture de qualité. Avons dégusté les meilleures moules, steak d'une tendreté exceptionnel sans l'aide d'un "poignard" ! Fruits de mer d'un goût exquis. Ambiance agréable avec la pianiste à nos côtés. Décor chaleureux avec touches de décoration de bon goût. Bravo à toute l'équipe de "On The Marsh" et merci pour les belles soirées en votre compagnie. Denise et Gilles de Québec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014Obviously the place to dine in Kennebunkport and nice to see long term success.Special Features:
- Special night made even better.PortlandnewbieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Lovely dining spot in Kennebunkport. We had the "special" table which is the spot that many marriage proposals take place. It was very romantic! They also gave us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine...they are a class act.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above averageOscarDined on 10/5/2014Pretty restaurant with good service (Patrick). Food was above average but over-priced.Special Features:
- SuperbPZColcapVIPDined on 10/3/2014There is a reason we return every October for our anniversary. This place is special! From the minute we arrived at our table, two glasses of champagne were presented as a gift. Food, ambiance and service is spectacular!Special Features:
- Disappointing!RobertDined on 9/30/2014On The Marsh has been one of our favorite restaurants in Kennebunkport. Our experience last week was not up to par and neither the manager or chef stepped up to the plate to make it right. The starters (fresh oysters, duck breast) were both doused in vinaigrette dressing that overwhelmed the flavor of the main ingredients. The main course of sea bass served over risotto was overcooked to the point of being barely edible. The Chef agreed and stated that they should not have been served! The scallops with puréed root vegetables were well done, not medium rare as ordered edible, but nothing special for a high end restaurant. Overall, a very disappointing (and expensive) experience. We hope they up their game, but we will not be returning.
- Eloquent & CharmingDalaigirlDined on 9/28/2014We were celebrating our 35th anniversary. I cannot say enough about the excellent and special service we received. It started with 2 complimentary glasses of champagne. The food was delicious mine was the lobster dinner, my husband had the filet. Both cooked perfectly and tasted great. Throughout our meal our server was very attentive even though there were other folks in the restaurant we felt like we were his only patrons. We were stuffed from dinner , but we ended the meal with a fantastic cup of mint tea. Strongly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but very pricey for the valueMaineEaterDined on 9/26/2014The meal was good but not spectacular. They excel in atmosphere. Wonderfully decorated in a great location. Their prices are too high for what you get. Our bill was $90 a person and we didn't even have a drink. Compare that to the White Barn Inn that has a prefix menu at $95 and they are a much better value with higher end service, the atmosphere and great menu. I like on the marsh but they need to decide whether they want to be a high-end restaurant that brings more value (like including a salad or soup with current entree rates) or adjust the prices a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!AngeDined on 9/13/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. We split a meat and cheese platter for an appetizer. I highly recommend that. I had the poached lobster, and he had the beef tenderloin. My lobster dish was amazing, and my boyfriend loved his dish, too.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We have been wanting to go to this restaurant for years. So happy that we finally made it. Dinner was perfect, best table in the house. Have already called friends and family and recommend this restaurant to them. Thank you for a wonderful memory, hope to do it again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the Marsh is very up scaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014This is not a place you would go to once a week. It is however very nice and the food is outstanding. This all comes with a price, sticker shock. Having said that I would go again for that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningMarymathDined on 9/3/2014Dinner, ambiance, service - all were wonderful on a recent visit, our first. The scallops were perfectly cooked and nicely seasoned. The heirloom tomatoes in the caprese salad were so flavorful and the fresh mozzarella was creamy - yummy. Definitely will return when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kennebunk GemRoccoDined on 9/3/2014First time here, will not be last. Food and Service was outstanding, Artisan cheese and meat tray Appitizer was the best we've had, we both had the Beef Tenderloin it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Phenomenal ExperienceFoodiefromCTDined on 8/31/2014We went to On the Marsh for our anniversaries, and were treated spectacularly at this wonderful restaurant. The food was 5 star and the service from Frank was exceptional. We had appetizers ranging from oysters to duck confit, followed by veal chops, scallops and mouth watering dessert. A must go for foodies! The wine selection was superb and the beautiful piano player made the evening so romantic. . John (mgr) went out of his way to walk each one of us out to the car with an umbrella in the pouring rain, getting drenched in the process. We can't say how much we appreciated the top notch service, food and hospitality. Couldn't recommend a better restaurant in Kennebunk and we've been to the finest. Kudos to On the Marsh!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerjaxxDined on 8/31/2014this was another amazing dinner experience. we highly recommend it for the ambience and the delicious foodSpecial Features:
- Never disappoints-always specialFineFoodAppreciatedDined on 8/31/2014Coming to On The Marsh Bistro is one of the best experiences you could possibly imagine. From the moment you step in the door until you step out again, every one of your senses is sated. If you are celebrating a special occasion, they make it more special; if you are going there just for a pleasant evening out, they make it more special. We could wax rhapsodic about the food from beginning to end: it's perfect. Our most recent experience included. Everything was delicious and we chose items we hadn't had before. On The Marsh never disappoints and is always special.Special Features:
- special restaurantitsmebostonVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went to celebrate our 33rd anniversary. The staff was so friendly. Everyone made us feel very comfortable. The food was terrific and the ambiance added to make for a memorable occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare FindjackscriticDined on 8/27/2014The food was excellent and the price was right. Three course price fix of 35 pp. the food was the best so far in kennebunk. It was a wonderful dinner and a must in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Entrees are hit or miss. The poached lobster was amazing and the oysters were fresh, but the duck confit put my stomach in knots as it was dry and hard. The server didn't seem to care as she told me that's how it comes. Worth a visit but choose your food carefully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We said WOW!HR100813Dined on 8/24/2014We were struck by the decor and the first impressions. The entrance vestibule was beautifully decorated with lit candles to great you. The restaurant is rustic and in a very romantic setting with many candles or oil lamps burning. We asked for a nice table location due to a special occasion and we got the table right at the window overlooking the Marsh and the little old sailboat. The twinkle lights on the sailboat after dark improve the atmosphere. The food was so gourmet. Every course was beautifully presented and delicious. Our only disappointment is that the chef came out to chat with a large party and chose not to meet us and other guests. The service was excellent! Our friends suggested On the Marsh and were so correct. Great place.Special Features:
- Consistently delicious!foodfanVIPDined on 8/21/2014Another wonderful dinner at On the Marsh. They may not have the draw of ocean views, but the food and service are the highlights. Not only are the dishes flavorful and well presented, it is the details like warm bread, an amuse bouche, and a complimentary sweet at the end that makes dining here special. The servers are warm and attentive to your needs. I highly recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.BailsDined on 8/21/2014We chose On the Marsh for 43rd anniversary celebration and we were not disappointed. We enjoyed a delicious leisurely meal in a quiet, romantic setting. Staff was terrific, especially our server. Would not hesitate to recommend On the Marsh for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maine GemLuvNYDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful restaurant..great food and atmosphere..highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereDiningfanaticDined on 8/14/2014I don't know why but lately the up and coming restaurants are so loud you can hardly have a conversation. Maybe they want it to be a "happening place", my husband and I don't like that. This place was a gem. Very quiet atmosphere, beautiful gardens and scenery abound. Also, the food was absolutely amazing. It is pricey, but my husband and I both agreed well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPed42Dined on 8/13/2014We have dined here on several occasions when in the Kennebunk area. Previously we were very pleased. Tonight's visit was marred by several serious flaws. My wife's salad had no dressing, her salmon had not been salted, desserts were large but not that good. Our entrees took forever to come out of the kitchen while tables around us were promptly served. Managers excuse was the chef did not understand our waitress when she requested our entrees. No adjustment offered. They do not take American Express. No excuse, their prices would easily cover Amex fees. Probably our last visit. Too many dependable restaurants in the area to risk dining here.Special Features:
- savoirfaireDined on 8/10/2014It was a wonderful dining experience. We loved the ambience and the food. Service was great, too. The setting is very romantic as well.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/7/2014On the Marsh Bistro has a very old-fashioned but charming dining room. The setting on the marsh is very beautiful. Both the maître d' and our server were very customer service oriented. The food was very fresh, homemade, and delicious! I ordered a small tomato soup and a small salad for my appetizer. Both were delicious. My husband was very happy with his salad, too. We split two entrées. They were the duck and the salmon. We were very pleased with both! We recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- On The Marsh is worth it!MickeyHerbVIPDined on 8/6/2014Friendly wait staff, excellent healthy food, nice ambience, beautiful marsh, away from madness of Dock SquareSpecial Features:
- Our favorite in Kennebunkport, MeLadyaliceDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant has everything, great food, wonderful service and a lovely ambiance. We have been to every top restaurant in Kennebunkport and without a doubt this is our favorite. The menu has excellent selections, we started with a tomato appetizer, followed with lobster dinners and then a lovely dessert. Even the amuse bouche (a cold watermelon soup) was very good. We returned on Friday evening for a 5 course wine pairing dinner and we loved it.Special Features:
- on the marshjaxxDined on 8/6/2014we had a most extraordinary dining experience here, from our greeting by John to our Waitress Rebecca. The food was divine and the background pianist added ambienceSpecial Features:
- A delightful eveningEllenDined on 7/29/2014It was our first visit and we will definitely return when we are back in Kennebunkport. The gardens surrounding the dining room are beautiful and a pleasure to explore, the service ideal and the food excellent. Perfect for any occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.RonneartVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have to On The Marsh 4 times. Each time we visit Kennebunkport we make sure we eat here. The menu is excellent, the food well prepared and served. The ambiance is the best. Yes, we will return again next yer. GSHSpecial Features:
- Very nice dinningRIChris2014Dined on 7/23/2014While on vacation in the Ogunquit area we dined on our last night at this restaurant. It was a very nice experience. Not only was the food excellent, the service by our waiter and Maître D was attentive and amusing. Having last dined there over 15 years ago when it was a different establishment, the transformation of the building was remarkable. Adding the fact that there is easy parking at the site truly makes it a winner!Special Features:
- Fantastic everything!bostonfoodguyDined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I have driven by this place countless times, but finally made plans to go there. And, boy, were we glad we did. Everything about our dinner there was fantastic! The decor, ambience, service, food - everything. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant.Special Features:
- LobsterAlintofoodDined on 7/16/2014Experience was good enough. Was a Birthday celebration. Started with apps and salad. The Wedge Salad was one of the best I've ever had. Duck appetizer was good, duck was a bit dry, but sauce was spectacular. Unfortunately didn't find anything interesting on entrée menu so stuck with apps and decided to move on for rest of meal. Service was adequate, not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Davelin6Dined on 7/15/2014We had not been back to Pn the Marsh for ad real years We found the food beautifully presented and delicious The service was outstanding To noise level was so low that we could hear the beautiful background music and still carry on a conversation at our tsbleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally Relaxing and EnjoyableDCTravelerDined on 7/13/2014My wife and I joined another couple for dinner to celebrate my friend's 60th birthday. Our friends had been to On the Marsh in the past and had mixed experiences. On this occasion, our experience was outstanding. The service was attentive without being stuffy. The host and wait staff were upbeat and all had a good sense of humor (which we enjoyed). The food was very good, as well. At the end of the evening, our friends agreed that this visit was superior to the other times that they had dined at On the Marsh. As this was my first visit, I can say without hesitation that I will return on our next visit to the area.Special Features: