On The Marsh Bistro
46 Western Ave.
Kennebunkport, ME 04043Neighborhood:
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
On The Marsh Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.onthemarsh.com/
- Phone: 2079672299x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey A. Savage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: On the Marsh Bistro offers private areas both downstairs and upstairs in the converted Barn circa 1800 for Private Events, Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners, Corporate Off Site Meetings, Wine Dinners, Bridal Showers etc.
- Private Party Contact: Alexandra Hennedy 2079672299x
- Entertainment: Live Piano on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Special Events:
Weds. Prix Fixe Menu
Gift Certificates Available.
- Cross Street: Route 9
- Public Transit: On the Marsh Bistro is a destination restaurant and can offer recommended taxi service in the local area serving the Hotels and Inns.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: On the Marsh Bistro has private parking on its three acre grounds for 200 cars, guests only. Valet Service is offered upon request three weeks prior to the event.
A word from On The Marsh Bistro
On the Marsh Bistro resides in a converted barn and farmhouse circa 1800 on 3 acres of plantings alongside a tidal salt marsh. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, James Beard Presenter 2011, NECN Platinum Plate, Voted Most Romantic and one of the top ten restaurants in Maine. Great for European style Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners and Corporate Meetings. For the Adventuresome, try the table in the kitchen: bright lights, dirty dishes passing by and a peek behind the scenes of culinary skills at its best. Or try The Owner's Table where Exec. Chef Jeffrey A. Savage will create a menu especially for you paired with Wine. Requires one month notice. For our most romantic settin, request Table #16 and be tucked away with your loved one. You are invited to dine in a captivating interior with Antiques, Collectibles and Art, all available for purchase. Menu changes weekly. "It is around the table that friends and family best understand the warmth of being together..." Denise Rubin, ProprietressContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
On The Marsh Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport ›
On The Marsh Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (63)special occasion (60)scenic view (41)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (21)good for groups (6)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014Entrees are hit or miss. The poached lobster was amazing and the oysters were fresh, but the duck confit put my stomach in knots as it was dry and hard. The server didn't seem to care as she told me that's how it comes. Worth a visit but choose your food carefully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We said WOW!HR100813Dined on 8/24/2014We were struck by the decor and the first impressions. The entrance vestibule was beautifully decorated with lit candles to great you. The restaurant is rustic and in a very romantic setting with many candles or oil lamps burning. We asked for a nice table location due to a special occasion and we got the table right at the window overlooking the Marsh and the little old sailboat. The twinkle lights on the sailboat after dark improve the atmosphere. The food was so gourmet. Every course was beautifully presented and delicious. Our only disappointment is that the chef came out to chat with a large party and chose not to meet us and other guests. The service was excellent! Our friends suggested On the Marsh and were so correct. Great place.Special Features:
- Consistently delicious!foodfanVIPDined on 8/21/2014Another wonderful dinner at On the Marsh. They may not have the draw of ocean views, but the food and service are the highlights. Not only are the dishes flavorful and well presented, it is the details like warm bread, an amuse bouche, and a complimentary sweet at the end that makes dining here special. The servers are warm and attentive to your needs. I highly recommend trying it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maine GemLuvNYDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful restaurant..great food and atmosphere..highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereDiningfanaticDined on 8/14/2014I don't know why but lately the up and coming restaurants are so loud you can hardly have a conversation. Maybe they want it to be a "happening place", my husband and I don't like that. This place was a gem. Very quiet atmosphere, beautiful gardens and scenery abound. Also, the food was absolutely amazing. It is pricey, but my husband and I both agreed well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPed42Dined on 8/13/2014We have dined here on several occasions when in the Kennebunk area. Previously we were very pleased. Tonight's visit was marred by several serious flaws. My wife's salad had no dressing, her salmon had not been salted, desserts were large but not that good. Our entrees took forever to come out of the kitchen while tables around us were promptly served. Managers excuse was the chef did not understand our waitress when she requested our entrees. No adjustment offered. They do not take American Express. No excuse, their prices would easily cover Amex fees. Probably our last visit. Too many dependable restaurants in the area to risk dining here.Special Features:
- savoirfaireDined on 8/10/2014It was a wonderful dining experience. We loved the ambience and the food. Service was great, too. The setting is very romantic as well.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/7/2014On the Marsh Bistro has a very old-fashioned but charming dining room. The setting on the marsh is very beautiful. Both the maître d' and our server were very customer service oriented. The food was very fresh, homemade, and delicious! I ordered a small tomato soup and a small salad for my appetizer. Both were delicious. My husband was very happy with his salad, too. We split two entrées. They were the duck and the salmon. We were very pleased with both! We recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- On The Marsh is worth it!MickeyHerbDined on 8/6/2014Friendly wait staff, excellent healthy food, nice ambience, beautiful marsh, away from madness of Dock SquareSpecial Features:
- Our favorite in Kennebunkport, MeLadyaliceDined on 8/6/2014This restaurant has everything, great food, wonderful service and a lovely ambiance. We have been to every top restaurant in Kennebunkport and without a doubt this is our favorite. The menu has excellent selections, we started with a tomato appetizer, followed with lobster dinners and then a lovely dessert. Even the amuse bouche (a cold watermelon soup) was very good. We returned on Friday evening for a 5 course wine pairing dinner and we loved it.Special Features:
- on the marshjaxxDined on 8/6/2014we had a most extraordinary dining experience here, from our greeting by John to our Waitress Rebecca. The food was divine and the background pianist added ambienceSpecial Features:
- A delightful eveningEllenDined on 7/29/2014It was our first visit and we will definitely return when we are back in Kennebunkport. The gardens surrounding the dining room are beautiful and a pleasure to explore, the service ideal and the food excellent. Perfect for any occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.RonneartVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have to On The Marsh 4 times. Each time we visit Kennebunkport we make sure we eat here. The menu is excellent, the food well prepared and served. The ambiance is the best. Yes, we will return again next yer. GSHSpecial Features:
- Very nice dinningRIChris2014Dined on 7/23/2014While on vacation in the Ogunquit area we dined on our last night at this restaurant. It was a very nice experience. Not only was the food excellent, the service by our waiter and Maître D was attentive and amusing. Having last dined there over 15 years ago when it was a different establishment, the transformation of the building was remarkable. Adding the fact that there is easy parking at the site truly makes it a winner!Special Features:
- Fantastic everything!bostonfoodguyDined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I have driven by this place countless times, but finally made plans to go there. And, boy, were we glad we did. Everything about our dinner there was fantastic! The decor, ambience, service, food - everything. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant.Special Features:
- LobsterAlintofoodDined on 7/16/2014Experience was good enough. Was a Birthday celebration. Started with apps and salad. The Wedge Salad was one of the best I've ever had. Duck appetizer was good, duck was a bit dry, but sauce was spectacular. Unfortunately didn't find anything interesting on entrée menu so stuck with apps and decided to move on for rest of meal. Service was adequate, not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Davelin6Dined on 7/15/2014We had not been back to Pn the Marsh for ad real years We found the food beautifully presented and delicious The service was outstanding To noise level was so low that we could hear the beautiful background music and still carry on a conversation at our tsbleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally Relaxing and EnjoyableDCTravelerDined on 7/13/2014My wife and I joined another couple for dinner to celebrate my friend's 60th birthday. Our friends had been to On the Marsh in the past and had mixed experiences. On this occasion, our experience was outstanding. The service was attentive without being stuffy. The host and wait staff were upbeat and all had a good sense of humor (which we enjoyed). The food was very good, as well. At the end of the evening, our friends agreed that this visit was superior to the other times that they had dined at On the Marsh. As this was my first visit, I can say without hesitation that I will return on our next visit to the area.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, mediocre foodhrainVIPDined on 7/12/2014Heard wonderful things about this place and, upon arrival, found the atmosphere lovely and very inviting. I had the scallops while my girlfriend had the beef tenderloin. From best to worst - scallops and blueberry kuchen dessert were excellent, salads were OK, beef tenderloin was mediocre, the cauliflower (w/beef) was bland and the red quinoa (w/scallops) had a very strange taste. For $100/person, I was expecting much better food. That said, shoutout to the host who sat us (Saturday night at 8:30p) - he was particularly entertaining and friendly. I think his name was Josh or John.Special Features:
- MichaelDined on 7/11/2014We had a nice meal with a lovely view. Very relaxing.Special Features:
- An enchanting eveningjbeanDined on 7/3/2014From beginning to end our first visit to On the Mash was enchanting! The walk through the garden to the front door set the stage for a wonderful, unhurried evening. Terrific service, wonderful food and the outstanding view made it an evening to remember! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bad night at a good place?OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/2/2014We were a bit disappointed in what had been a favorite restaurant in the area for the past few years. Our waitress seemed a bit distracted, forgetting items she had to be reminded of more than once. It took her so long to ask for our dessert selection we decided against it. Food seemed to be pricier than we remembered, as well.Special Features:
- New favorite in MaineriduckmanDined on 6/29/2014We tried On The Marsh for the first time Sunday night. (6/29). John, friendly and helpful, greeted and seated us. The menu, while not large, certainly had plenty of choices. We both selected the swordfish and agreed that it was delicious and was one of the best ever preparations. The service was good. The restaurant is romantic and diners have a view of the marsh. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beetsanovaVIPDined on 6/29/2014an outstanding restaurant with a very affordable bar menu, great service and generous barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2014We celebrated our 23 anniversary at On The Marsh. The service was excellent and the food delicious! I would highly recommend this restaurant. In fact I have already told many friends about it!Special Features:
- Wonderful nightDHDinerDined on 6/28/2014We found On the Marsh through Open Table before our Kennebunkport trip and we're delighted in every way. Our table overlooking their beautiful garden helped the relaxing process from our travel day begin. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. The menu changes daily which is a sign of freshness in interesting choices and ours didn't disappoint. The lobster was excellent and the wine list offered excellent choices. Chef tasting samples were offered from a smoked salmon appetizer to a amaretto and cream after dinner. On the Marsh is a place we will return to and recommend.Special Features:
- Fine Dining with a ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/20145 star dining with a lovely view. Grounds are beautifully landscaped and you indeed view a marsh but a pretty one. The food was superb. Started with pork pate (from humanely raised pigs), delicate and delicious. I ordered the scampi which in other places can be just a mouthful of garlic. Not here. It was artfully seasoned with just enough garlic to be tasted but not overwhelm the delicate flavor of the gulf shrimp. The pasta was perfect and again not just garlic. My mother ordered the haddock which was sensational. The service was friendly without being overbearing and it wasn't stuffy like another 5 star in Kennebunkport. I heartily recommend On The Marsh for dinner or a special occasion You won't be sorry.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealwakawakawakaVIPDined on 6/1/2014Truly a great meal from start to finish with fantastic service - talk about a hidden gem along Maine's coastline! I highly recommend the butter poached lobster and the creme brulee of the day, but my DCs' meals were all great as well. Also, the decor is farmhouse-chic - very comfortable and relaxing while still feeling upscale.Special Features:
- Great dinner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We went for dinner for the first time and I can't say I have any complaints. Our waitress was friendly and attentive, view of the marsh at sunset was beautiful. The good was fabulous and if you like mussels they ae a must have. The portions are a reasonable size and we saved room for dessert. The chocolate fund cake was delicious. I will go back again when traveling back to Kennebunkport!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- add us to the list of surprisedHalmulVIPDined on 5/30/2014like other reviewers, we have been in the area for 20 years and finally stopped for dinner. We have always been nervous about the pricing. I had the lobster, my wife had salmon with great veggies we had soup, dessert and a $45 bottle of wine and the total for a great dinner was about $200.Special Features:
- Great restaurant on many counts.2datenightersVIPDined on 5/28/2014This restaurant is perfect for a date night setting. It's quiet, nice view. The menu is limited but there is something for everyone. Delicious food. Not really a family restaurant. And if you're looking for deals, this is not the place. You get what you pay for here. Loved it! There is a bar menu also. I will definitely be back with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- on the marshefburkejrVIPDined on 5/24/2014Nice quiet and romantic. Our table was a bit late in arriving, but we were nicely accommodated at the bar until the table turned. Excellent small touches to nibble on before our meal (soup) and dessert (amaretto and whipped cream). Scallops were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had excellent service. The dinner was very good and our dessert (Blueberry bake) was outstanding. Great place to have a relaxing date night.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/14/2014We have passed here at least 20 times in our 8 visits to Kennebunkport. We finally decided to try it, based on a recommendation. We went for our 31st anniversary celebration and give it a 10 on 10. Our biggest regret is not having tried it sooner. We can't wait for the opportunity to go back to Kennebunkport in a summer month, so that we can eat outside.Special Features:
- RomanticChubbyDined on 5/14/2014A great facility coupled with excellent service and very nice people. My wife thought her lobster tasted old and fishy however my dinner was excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencemaine1Dined on 5/10/2014We have lived in Kennebunkport for years and have always wanted to try On the Marsh...so glad we did. Don't know why we waited so long. The wait staff was very attentive but did not hover. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experienceCarolDined on 5/8/2014I have dined at On the Marsh on two different occasions--once with girlfriends and once with my significant other. It can be fun and friendly on the one hand and romantic on the other--the ambience covers it all. I love the decor, the drinks, the food, the view, and the outstanding service. A table with a view of the Marsh and the boat is my favorite--so far. I am returning later in the Summer with a group of 5 girlfriends--3 of whom have previously dined there and feel the same way about the place as I--it's a charming place where one can truly experience fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 249 reviews are from the On The Marsh Bistro reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/26/2014Always terrific! Best food in town! Quiet atmosphere, very relaxing and never rushed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the marshmainediner6VIPDined on 4/23/2014The host and server were gracious and attentive and started our evening off with a complimentary champagne. Chose the crab and pork belly appetizers. The crab selection was wonderful, particularly the mushrooms that were bursting with flavor. The pork belly was well prepared but a bit bland for my tastes. Ordered the butter poached lobster for dinner.. The sweet corn sauce could have used a more seasoning.. A little salt would have made this dish shine (none was available on the table either). The lobster was presented beautifully but a tad over cooked. The maple creme brulee was star of the evening. Definitely a place we will try again, the atmosphere and service were exceptional, just a little more seasoning please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceFoodie21Dined on 4/20/2014When first arrived took care of us. The service was outstanding and the food was excellent. If you like to experience a gourmet meal On The Marsh Bistro is a great place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.