3737 Cahuenga Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ombrala.com/
- Phone: 8189857337
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael J. Young
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Ombra
In the Italian city of Venice, when locals want a little wine and a light snack, they often head for the local "bacaro." There, they can order wine by the glass, known as an Ombra. This beverage got its name, literally meaning "shadow," from the city's hardworking gondoliers and merchants, who stopped periodically for some refreshment and stood in the shade cast by the surrounding buildings, as they sipped a glass of wine. The idea behind Ombra Ristorante in Studio City is to provide the experience and feel of a local restaurant one could find not only in Venice, but in any Italian city. Ombra will represent local, bistro-fare at its best. Moderate prices, great food, and a cool, un-intimidating staff will draw an eclectic and varied clientele. At its core, Ombra is the quintessential neighborhood restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ombra reviews from OpenTable diners
- Terrific!TedHDined on 8/28/2013Go quickly- they made the unfortunate decision to close in a couple of weeks. Limited menu, but everything is great! We tried several!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- R.I.P. the old OmbradcdinerVIPDined on 8/23/2013R.I.P. the old Ombra. Our last dinner at Ombra was NOT the same as all of our dinners before. The service was in inattentative and dis-organized. Unfortunately we booked at the same time as a large (>45 people) birthday party causing the them to offer a very limited (and almost all seafood) menu. We should have been notified earlier when we called back to confirm our reservation and spoke with the chef. All he said was "we're preparing dinner and it's gonna taste great". I felt like the mother bird kicking out her chicks after raising them with lots of warmth and love until it's time to go. Nothing like a swift end to it all. We will miss the old Ombra, but our last visit, and we hope won't cloud our memory, was a real BUMMERSpecial Features:
- Disappointing SelectionsiriusetDined on 8/17/2013The waiter said they were trying something different this summer by offering a smaller menu with new items. You know when you go to a restaurant and you keep searching the menu for something you want and keep looking, don't find it and finally settle on something you don't really want? That was my experience at Ombra. With a menu that starts at approximately $20 an entree I'd like a choice, and I'd like the option for it to be a healthy one too. I had neither. I had to go with a risotto which was good (not special). Service is good. Ambiance is nice.
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2013Very knowledgeable and friend staff. The owner took quite a bit of time to talk with our party about Ombra's wine offerings including where they were from and their highlights.The food was all delicious and interesting. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a shame they will bedcdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2013It's a shame they will be going out of business at the end of the month. Another really good restaurand disappears from the Valley!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK This TimeReviewmanVIPDined on 7/26/2013My first experience was outstanding. Not so much this time Wrong order, food was just OK Service a bit worse. YMMV
- Perfect.FoodletDined on 7/24/2013Wonderful food and service! We had the salumi, caperese salad, fish and Italian sausages. All was delicious!! The location is convenient to studio city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Ombra is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2013Dining at Ombra is always a wonderful culinary experience. The chef mines the oceans for the best seafood and prepares them in original and delicious preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ombra is consistently excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/12/2013Ombra is one of the best-kept secrets, probably due to its "hidden in plain sight" location. There is no other reason that could explain how it is that this place isn't impossible to get a table. The food, service, ambiance, wine list-- all better than any place else I can think of, locally. An absolute favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Valley FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2013Fresh and delicious food, local ingredients, all served warmly, attentively and perfectly paced. Extensive wine list appropriately priced and some very good values. Ambient noise level very loud -- low ceilings and all hard surfaces. Very knowledgeable, experienced and creative chef/owner. Overall, definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionParisianinthevalleyVIPDined on 7/8/2013Michael Young's OMBRA is a gem. The owner-chef is thoroughly hands on, from greeting you, describing the specials, advising on the wine and making you feel like you've taken a seat at his home dining table. Ably assisted by Nico and team, an evening and meal is both memorable and delicious.Special Features:
- Just lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2013Very, very good food and wine and service. Among the noteworthy dishes, blistered peppers, spaghettil with pepper and cheese, and the mortadella is to die for - also, surprisingly good desserts.Special Features:
- Solid All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2013In short, everything was good, nothing was excellent. The portions are extremely large (as is the wine list).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In the ValleySDBcruiseVIPDined on 6/29/2013Ombra is consistently the best italian restaurant in the san fernando valley! chef Michael is AWESOME and his cooking is from the heart!Special Features:
- At last a gr8 Italian in the valleyNoRamseyIDined on 6/22/2013After 14 years living in the valley, thanks to OT, we finally found an Italian restaurant that I can't wait to go back to. I'm passionate about service and the welcoming staff obviously are too. (Thanks Francisco). Aged Padana cheese was a devine starter. Branzino de-boned at the table, baby root vegies perfect. They even had an almost impossible to find favorite Italian white Arneis wine. Light cheesecake had great texture and citrus zest. Get past the drab exterior/anonymous interior - not surprising that my foodie local friends didn't know about it! Who cares when the food and service were such a knockout. Good value we thought. Lots of interesting menu items for next time. Not your normal veal-parm Italian. This is the real deal! Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful RestaurantelayjayVIPDined on 6/20/2013This is my third time and I enjoy it each time. The food is always wonderful and the owner is very knowledgable about Italian wine.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/18/2013Really good Italian food and great service with a smile. I had lunch here and had to go back to work so unfortunately I could not have wine, however I am planning on going to the wine event one of the waiters informed me of.Special Features:
- Not bad, not good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2013Ambiance was great, service was better than anywhere in Calif. I'm probably not into old-world style food. The ravioli wasn't hearty and the portion was small. Same for the free-range chicken. The salad was weak.
- Birthday heavenjacquieatsDined on 6/14/2013We came here for a romantic dinner, and had one of the best meals of Italian food I've had in California. For those of you who have traveled or eaten in the northend of Boston, this fits there! The service makes this place. Don't be fooled by the neighborhood or outside of the building. This is a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceExplorerVIPDined on 6/14/2013Enjoyed the dinner immensely. Excellent service, fast and impressed by server cleaning the table between courses. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingManychanfesDined on 6/14/2013The service was very good and I got a b day cake, however the food was so insipid and expensive that we will not be back. The noise level was moderate because even though it was a Friday night, there were only a few tables taken.
- Reminds me of Italy! AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/13/2013Reminds me of Italy! Always a very special dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay but not a "gem"!FateoptionalDined on 6/13/2013The dining room is nice, better than you'd expect for the area. Service was friendly. On our visit the crab pasta was woefully under seasoned. The cheese and pepper pasta was "plain, but that's kind of what you expect" from the vegetarian among us. One salad was drowning in dressing, another was nice. "Gelato" was promised as a dessert, but what was served was ice cream... and this is the perfect example of how the restaurant is not crossing "ts" or dotting "is'... was the menu promising Italian gelato, the lighter version... or just the italian "word" for American ice cream? We don't know... and this lack of attention feels like the same that had a plate of pasta arrive at the table without seasoning. Growing pains? We can hope...
- quiet dinnerRWinter195Dined on 6/12/2013great time with my friend eating here -well taken care of, great food and wine. very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going back and back and back againOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/12/2013My best friend took me here for my birthday and I fell in love with Ombra! I can't wait to take my family and friends there. In a couple of hours Don Francesco transforms you to Roma -Positano. I have to brag about this place in yelp and tripadvisor. We had the lentil salad, Oxtail and Lamb ragu, followed by a delicious tiramisu!!!! Yes, Italy is Eatly!Special Features:
- NAPLES YET CLOSE TO HOMEParisianinthevalleyVIPDined on 6/10/2013OMBRA guided by the creative and expert chef/owner MICHAEL YOUNG (formerly of Valentino and IL Grano-pretty great credits) is a wonderful eating experience. The service is also outstanding. Pastas and seafoods are exceptional. Go, have fun and eat well. A diner's delight.Special Features:
- Great findReviewmanVIPDined on 6/10/2013I was pleasantly surprised. Food was great and the five dollar wine was so good. Its a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experienceFoodloverVIPDined on 6/7/2013We found this restaurant on open table and wow. It is one of those gems where you walk in and everyone treats you like family. Wait staff was fantastic. Food was amazing and the chef came to our table to help us with the wine list and even let us try a few to decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Ombra is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2013Dining at Ombra is always a special experience. The staff, food, wine and chef/owner provide for a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013Went with my husband for my birthday - Food : great. Noise level made it hard to have a conversation. I noticed the hostess moved the couple next to us to a corner - probably for this reason. I mentioned on Open Table that it was my birthday but it was not acknowledged at the restaurant. I would recommend this place for really good food but not for a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A suprise wine pairing menu...submarine1Dined on 5/23/2013Our 4th visit to Ombra, I was ready for some of their exceptional fresh made pasta and octopus salad, but this time they had a special wine pairing menu featuring Qupe wines. 4 courses, three wines, all exceptional! Asparagus salad with parmigiano cream, Pheasant Ravioli with fresh morels (outstanding!!!) and a really good Blanquette de Veau. Dessert wasn't a throwaway either with a crisp apple tart topped with caramel gelato. While we didn't always agree with the wines paired with the course, they were all very good and you had the option to buy (of course). An outstanding meal over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is beautiful,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2013The restaurant is beautiful, the food outstanding with interesting (the the usual) choices, and everyone who worked there couldn't have been nicer. A lovely experience, all around.Special Features:
- Ombra Excels!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2013A warm and friendly dining experience. The fresh fish selections always impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, as usual. ThezyggroupVIPDined on 5/11/2013Food was good, as usual. The service was poor. Our waiter seemed like a corporate officer and a policeman, instead of warm and inviting. The noise is deafening and a deal breaker. It gets worse instead of better.
- Ombra Always Delivers!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2013Great food, amazing wine list and warm staff. There is no better way to spend an evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITALIAN IN THE VALLEY!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2013Solid spot in the Valley with great food! We always enjoy ourselves here, and even enjoy take out. The valley truly needed this place, everything else is at the level of CHEF BOYARDEE! Thanks Ombra! Me likey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- private partyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/30/2013Pretty rare a restaurant gets all outstanding ratings, but my friends and i were the only ones in the restaurant tuesday night and it truly was like our own private party. The waiter was attentive but very courteous and gave us time and space to enjoy ourselves without hovering or rushing us out. The food was amazing, great flavors and sauces and homemade! Since i know the place is packed on the weekends this was really a unique experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good; service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/26/2013This place could be a neighborhood gem, but it misses. The food is quite good, but the service needs work. When our starters were delivered, one of them was the wrong dish. Subsequently, another server tried to deliver main courses, but they were not for our table. There was much confusion around this. Several minutes later, we saw the plates heading to a table on the other side of the restaurant. The correct food was delivered later. This should have been a nice, relaxing evening. The mixups colored that. If this were a very inexpensive restaurant, one might be more forgiving, but prices here are more Ammo than Spark; not inexpensive. Both Ammo and Spark have great service. At Ombra's price point, the service must be fixed.
- Great place for a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2013Wonderful restaurant. Attentive service. Delicious food with good sized portions. Easy parking. Fair prices. Highly recommend the penne pasta, lentil salad, and the oxtail. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- wonderful as ever fresh deliciouspinkieDined on 4/20/2013wonderful as ever fresh delicious friendly tutti buoniSpecial Features: