21 W. 9th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.omar-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2126775242x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 1:00am,
Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 2:00am
Closed Sundays for Members Only Private Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 5th & 6th Aves.
- Public Transit: The A, C & E West 4th Street station is located 2 blocks away on 6th Ave & Greenwich Ave.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking garage is located one block east on West 9th, between 5th ave and University Place, on the south side of the street mid block.
A word from Omar's
Located on beautiful West 9th Street in Greenwich Village, Omar's brings the elegant feel and service of the UES and merges it with a downtown vibe. Housed at historic 21 West 9th street, the interiors reflect private clubs of the past, with the simplicity and design of today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Omar's reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (6)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Jamel was very warm and friendly. The food was great! I remember going here when it was Mary Lous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndreaVIPDined on 9/4/2014My new fav wvillage hang! Amazing food service coolest vibeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/12/2014The atmosphere at Omar's is very special. The bar is dark and inviting. The two dining rooms are very lovely. One light with a large window and a skylight. The second is dark clubby and extremely inviting. The service at Omar's is very special. Genuinely sincere, warm and friendly. Everyone we interacted with were so accommodating and friendly. The food was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Go somewhere else!EricaDined on 6/7/2014This is one of the most over priced restaurants I've ever been to. We had great food experiences at The Spotted Pig, Momofuku Ssam bar, spice market, Balthazaar but this was for sure not one of them. The staff was rude and the food was not tasting anything. And it was the most expensive dinner we had. A true dissappointment
- The following 31 reviews are from the Omar's reviews archive.
- Cool place but food is just okJaseyDined on 5/1/2014Lamb shank was stringy but very well seasoned. Hen of the woods mushroom was delish. Chicken was average. Gougeres were good. Will try again and hope for better than just ok.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/26/2014I was extremely disappointed with the service at Omar's. Front of house was very energetic and accommodating. Drinks were excellent (especially in terms of having the perfectly-crafted cocktail menu). Service at the table was horrendous.Special Features:
- luv2dineakDined on 4/24/2014Very good food - but very, very small portions for the price! Very pricey for what it is!Special Features:
- Very disappointingVisitorDined on 3/24/2014We were left seated for close to half an hour before some bread arrived almost as an afterthought. We had lobster for the main course and it was tiny. The salad was so salty we only are it because we were so hungry. We weren't charged for this and the waitress was apologetic. We were too disappointed in the experience to bother with dessert.
- A go toMattCarmoucheDined on 3/15/2014I've been to Omar's several times and it's as if I'm royalty each time. The service, cocktails, food, and overall experience is phenomenal! I highly recommend this for groups smaller than 10 and as small as a romantic 2 person dinner. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceOenophileDined on 3/8/2014Lovely, elegant but still chic ambience. Very good food, if from a very limited menu (not a complaint, just a fact). Limited but not bad wine choices. Candidly, the beer options will leave beer drinkers wanting more, especially as a couple of the food items do beg for a more varied selection. I returned for a second visit just for the Manhattan -- I've had one of the most well mixed Manhattans here that I've ever had, twice, from two different bartenders; I'll return for a go at the third soon. Final note: the proprietor, hostess, bartenders and wait staff were, during both of our visits, welcoming and professional, even warm – which is, of course, as unusual as it is desirable in New York City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crappy restaurantdine4qualitadeDined on 2/14/2014Food less than decent. Very expensive! not impressed...
- Mediocre food but overpricedwestvillage7Dined on 2/14/2014I booked a table at Omar's for two for a date with my gf on valentines day. The price fix menu was very unimpressive and very overpriced. I had the venison, she got the hen of the woods mushrooms. We were both underwhelmed. The chef and staff were clearly trying hard but it just didn't come together. If you are looking for a similar scene but better food go to the lion across the street. If you want good food but at a better price go to pagani on bleacker. I have been to a ton of west village restaurants and this place is all around lame.Special Features:
- Lovely Experience!businessdinnersgaloreVIPDined on 1/14/2014Omar's is nice enough that it could easily pull-off being pretentious and stuffy but the staff is so warm and easy-going that it never goes that way. If you have room for dessert (which is unlikely), I definitely recommend trying the pretzel cheesecake bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday DinnerKegNYCDined on 12/23/2013My husband and I came to Omar's to break from our usual places and try something new. We really enjoyed it. The setting was intimate as well as friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better options elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Waited 10 minutes for someone to ask us what we wanted to drink. Waiter failed to follow up. We had to ask the manager to give us the bill at the end of the night because the waiter neglected to follow up with us. It was a very slow night. 4 tables total and more than 2 waiters working so in not sure what the problem was. Food was good but here are better options in NYC. I would not return.Special Features:
- Best 40th birthday dinner!NicoletteDined on 12/14/2013THIS is how I love my gnocchi! The butternut squash soup was phenomenal! Yum yum...L'exotique cocktail was delish! It was a great place to celebrate my 40th birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Village hot spotgwfoodieVIPDined on 12/11/2013Love this chic village hot spot. Food was good and the service friendly.Special Features:
- Wonderful and warmJoeWDined on 11/28/2013Omar's staff was warm, inviting, attentive. The food was well prepared and presented, flavorful without trying too hard. My family and I went to Omar's for the first time, for the Thanksgiving dinner they offered and we will return many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, after a rocky startBrianVIPDined on 11/8/2013I made a reservation and later was sent an email that asked me to re-confirm my reservation (which I did). We arrived at the restaurant on time, and proceeded to wait 45 minutes to be seated. We were having a great time at the bar (very crowded) but when we finally got seated at 10 pm, 5 of us (relatively big men) were crammed at a table for 4. The staff could not have been more apologetic (even though no attempt was made to get us a bigger table). Fortunately, the night got better from there. we received complimentary hors d'oeuvres, our waiter was funny and knowledgeable and the food was delicious. Loved the atmosphere. So, despite the rocky start, we had a great experience and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Vibrant Scene but moderate foodSoniaVIPDined on 11/2/2013The service is good and the crowd is nice, however unfortunately the food decreased rapidly compared to the first time I was there. I hope they will be up to part soon again. Otherwise it's a nice place.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/2013a bit tight in seating, but the room was nice the food was excellent, but portions were small the wine list was decent, but very expensive the wait staff was very attentive not sure I would go back, but certainly worth tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like old friends...SantaFeTomDined on 10/14/2013The entire staff, including Omar, made us feel welcomed and wanted even though we were from out of town. Bartenders really know their stuff and made our first night there absolutely fantastic. When we came back for dinner we were greeted by name and the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client dinnerNANANANADined on 10/8/2013We had an important client in town so called ahead and we were very well taken care of. It's a great spot to take someone from Europe for the quintessential glam great NY restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the restaurant.AmarsaomarsVIPDined on 9/29/2013The owner was there and gave my part special attention. Great Brunch, amazing drinks & unsuspected desert.. Beautiful crowd!!Special Features:
- Food was great. Portions notTommDined on 9/20/2013Food was great. Portions not exactly filling. Great spot overall.Special Features:
- Empty club and restaurantLapin27VIPDined on 9/18/2013I was taking out my best friend who's a hipster and director of one of the major event company in Paris. I was such a miss ! Omar's is supposed to be a hot new spot but it was empty even on the club side! Portion are too small, menu too short and deco looks cheap. In general very disappointing choose another restaurant!
- portionsJonoJayVIPDined on 9/11/2013one complaint that portions are CRAZY small. Don't expect to leave with a full stomach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service, vibe,LubaDined on 8/19/2013great food, service, vibe, owner attentive and invitingSpecial Features:
- disastermortuaryDined on 8/16/2013What happens when a chef tries to be clever? The menu is literally multiple choice in that it had 3 choices. The combinations are awful. It is almost as if the chef wanted to find the one ingredient that would ruin each dish. They need tip change the menu/chef and get an atmosphere. This place will be open for 6 months before closing.
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2013This place exceeded my expectations at every level (food and service). I am surprised it wasnt more crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time or moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2013Omar's wss awful! The bar was not full, and it still took a long time to get a terrible martini. And dinner was horrendous. The restaurant was empty, and it took over an hour to get our food - some of which arrived cold and some of which was missing. The waiter was hard to find half the time and not very apologetic about anything. We complained many times, and Omar finally came over after we paid the overpriced check not to apologize, but to explain that the kitchen was slow due to a very important private party in "the club". Obviously, we were not important enough to pay attention to. I would never go back and don't think the restaurant will be around much longer.
- DelightedMarkColeVIPDined on 8/3/2013This was our first visit and we were pleasantly surprised. Especially outstanding was the corn soup with lobster and the pork entree was unbelievable. The service was perfect. I would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu was a little limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2013The menu was a little limited. Each dish was beautiful cooked and served. Flavours were a little too subtle, required additional seasoning. All in all was well appreciated evening.Special Features:
- A Must!BRGGVIPDined on 6/13/2013Omar's is a wonderful addition to the Village. The space is intimate yet energetic, with a flavorful menu and attentive service. A great spot for a date, double-date or a night out with a friend. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Kid on the BlocklindaVIPDined on 5/27/2013Omar's is new: the location has seen many restaurants over the years; I hope Omar's does better than the previous tenants The night we went, it was empty, completely empty. The chef prepared a "tasting menu" for us, which was delicious. But it was eerie, being in an empty restaurant. The staff was friendly--perhaps overfriendly, since they had nothing to do--and helpful. We would definitely go back.Special Features: